Safeway Employee Reviews

the best training I've ever had!
Pharmacy Assistant Trainee (Former Employee) –  North Edmonton, AB29 May 2017
busy but enjoyable is a typical day at work, learned a lot from co-workers as a trainee, everybody is nice from the manager to co-workers, co-workers were supportive and patient with a trainee like me.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
far from where i live
Some nice staff but faltering communication in front end
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alberta22 May 2017
A typical workday would vary from decent to stressing very quickly; with staff at front end who have poor communication skills and are seemingly arrogant. These statistics have been made from my experience working at Safeway but on recent accounts from my friend who also worked at a Safeway claimed the exact same issues.
Pros
OK Management
Cons
Hostile staff
Fun workplace atmospher
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 May 2017
Working here is fun because of the people around you. Most of the people in the workplace, whether they directly work with you or indirectly, want to see you be happy and succeed. Everyone works together as a unit and if one slips up, everyone usually bands together to pick up the slack. Sometimes, customer interactions can bring out bad emotions in you such as becoming mad, sad etc. The work, although easy, it is very tedious. Good place to work if you are just getting into the job market and don't have prior experience, but the people that have been there for many years take it to a different level altogether.
Benefits
Cons
Compounding work
Nice.
Meat Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK20 May 2017
Nice place to work but they had a hard time managing personal life and work life. They often expected more then what was required and would be sure to bring this to your attention
Boring Job nature, but great work benefits.
General Clerk/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 May 2017
Safeway is a great place to work if you are just searching for an easy job and do it for life. As described in the title, Safeway UFCW provides great union protection on its employees, like heath care, dental care, etc. However, the job nature of Safeway is extremely boring as stocking products to shelves, receiving inventory, etc. It might be fun to begin with, but eventually, you might find the job is really boring, and lack of motivation.
Pros
Union protection
Cons
Job Nature is extremely boring
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 May 2017
Great workplace with a superb management. I learned a lot of my time with Safeway. Being more customer oriented and multitasking different jobs that I've been assigned.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough hours
Professional, clean
Assistant Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 May 2017
Departments were kept clean and tidy at my store. They made it very easy to interact with customers. Great setup which always made you part of the customers interactions.
Pros
Easy to schule days off
Cons
many
dont work here
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 May 2017
dont work here, its awful, worst job, they dont listen to you, nothing is done there, management is the worst ive ever seen, worst company to work for.
Warehouse wrok enviornment
Order Picker, forklift (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 May 2017
a warehouse culture in a grocury warehouse. great wage per hour, physically demanding work at times but also keeps you physically fit. days go by quickly the quicker you work
Pros
Wage
Cons
Lifestyle
Staff is good to work with
Deli clerk and trainer (Current Employee) –  Calgary Alberta16 May 2017
Competitive work environment. Looking for better quality .strive to meet the customer needs.always looking to make a better shopping experience for the customers.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Hours

Want to know more about Safeway?

Ask a question
Decent part-time job
Front End Bakery (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK15 May 2017
Reasonably enjoyable job. Knew what to expect every shift. Learned how to manage time (how much I can reasonably get done in a shift). Mostly worked closing shift, so I often only saw my other coworkers for maybe an hour before they all went home. At times this was a pro, as it meant I could quietly go about my business. Cons were that if you encountered a problem (either with a customer or with a machine) you couldn't ask for help. When asking for time off, you had to submit a paper request which was put into a folder. I was a little paranoid that there was a possibility that the paper could get lost. Would have preferred and electronic system. Management was alright. Store managers were friendly and came when paged on the intercom. Bakery manager was really nice. Only issue was sometimes I wouldn't get my schedule until a few days before the start of the next week. Would have preferred something like 3 weeks scheduling in advance. Overall, pleasant experience. There was enough for me to do that kept me busy every shift. So time went by quickly which I appreciated.
Pros
Enough tasks to keep you busy all shift
Cons
May have to work overtime, not always satisfied with number of hours
Good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON15 May 2017
This was a good summer job. The management was good, they were able to give you more/less hours depending on what you wanted. Everyone was very nice and approachable.
Pros
good, flexible hours
Cons
No free lunches
Good workplace
Deli Counter Attendant (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 May 2017
It was a good place to work but there is no room for advancement since most people who are on top have been working there fir 30 years + who don't want to retire.
Not a good atmosphere since sobey takeover
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 May 2017
Safeway Canada was a great place to work prior to the takeover by sobeys,it was fast paced,productive and the employee management relationship was tops.
great place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 May 2017
I enjoyed working at safeway.. I met great friends and learned a lot about the company as well.. I like how they only use local products from within the city
Terrible hours terrible management.
customer service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 May 2017
Terrible treatment of employees terrible pay too responsibilities. No chance for advancement. No job security. they want you to work full time hours but then you are not considered a full time employee.
Pros
no pros
Cons
terrible pay
it was a okay
Cashier / Pump Attendant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 May 2017
At safeway, there really was not much to do. So it was not to bad, the management was nice, but some stuff they did was annoying like making men clean shaved.
Temporary Job
Barista (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 May 2017
Received, processed and handled orders at the counter, I learn how to take order and how to make order and how to communicate with customer and how to make a good cup of coffee, this is funny work for me.
Great Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK8 May 2017
I learned so much here and had a great experience. Most of my managers were caring and understanding and made work life easier. I highly recommend for first time job seekers.
Bad experience
Grocery Loader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2017
Really fast paced work. Had to do a lot of stuff in so less time. Fear of being fired all the time. Most people there are not happy with what they do there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval