Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Ping pong politics
produce clerk (Current Employee), Ladner, BCApril 11, 2016
Pros: Employees can bed great to work with. Customers were awesome.
Cons: Poor management skills, high production pressure. Standing all day.
This company gets sold on average every 5 years so the management is continually trying to shine their penny and lean the books.
High pressure on staff with no replacement for ill workers and always trying to impress by running too lean.
Makes for a vicious circle...
very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
Pros: great hours and benifits
Cons: lots of work
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Pros: Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons: Union controlled
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Paid Breaks
Cons: Limited Hours, High Union Fees
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Management was terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Stony Plain, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Getting paid was pretty much the only good thing about working there.
Cons: Poor management, some very disrespectful customers, stuck up managers
I felt that the management took a lot more breaks then was allowed. They went outside to smoke a lot on every break they took. It seemed like they took about 5 breaks per shift. Completely unfair and stuck up management.
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Compensation, training
Cons: Working hours, little room for advancement
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Pros: Benefits available
Cons: Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Pros: Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons: Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
Nice and friendly, Clean Working Environment
Meat Cutter/Wrapper (Former Employee), Cochrane, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Free Snacks
Cons: Starting Wage is unappropriate.
I enjoyed working at Safeway. They have a great benefits package and willing to work around your personal life schedule. They gave me optimum training, and great customer service skills. I would work for Safeway Canada again if I was given the opportunity.
Enjoy working while get positive comments
deli clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 1, 2016
Pros: good benefit programm
Cons: stressful job
helpful management sometimes, co-worker provide helpful tips, customers are happy with my service. Now working at safeway very stressful. We cannot help customers as soon as possible. Because there are not enough employees to help them.
friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 30, 2015
Pros: positive, multitasking
Cons: no cons
My co-workers and management are so friendly and we work like a family. My day ends so fast everyday talking with customers and serve them good service. i learned so many cultures n nautre of another countries people. the hardest part of job when its not busy n we have to stand just look around and wait for a customer. the most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers n they are so friendly.
productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
Pros: short shifts
Cons: too little hours
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: very physical work
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
Supportive and productivity work place
Retail Shelf Stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: I was earning money to take of my family
Cons: no complains
I enjoyed working at this business. I had a good supporting cast and the job was fulfilling. My co-workers were supportive and so was management. I enjoyed my job and I couldn't think of a negative experience.
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
Ability to learn
Seafood/Meat Counter Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Flexible in hours for school
Cons: Weekly pay, harder to budget
This was a good place to learn different cuts of meat, information regarding fish, and learning new skills (filleting salmon).
It was also great place to work during school, as they were able to work around my school schedule and provide extra hours when possible.
Supportive management when I fractured my knee, as well as supportive coworkers when questions arose.
A good employer for inexperienced workers
Payroll/scheduling clerk (Former Employee), Mission, BCNovember 1, 2015
Pros: Good job security
Cons: low pay and hours at first
Safeway is a good place for a new worker who would like to learn about the retail sector. Union job with high job security and good advancement for those with the drive and initiative. Pay starts off low but does eventually provide a living wage. Hours start off low as well but as your seniority rises your hours maximize eventually. Best to start when a student or to have management goals quickly
Links