Safeway Employee Reviews

A good company to start a professional career
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
I enjoy working knowing i am with good people around and i find it very rewarding to meet customers and assist them with satisfaction.The Management i work with are all team player, very compassionate and professional individuals. Treatment was fair and judgment on all cases are based on facts and governed by policies. The hardest part of my work is when employee/s assigned to work suddenly don't come to work and we have to work for their work or injure too much lifting and bending as things has to be done right away.
Pros
great compensation package governed by Union policies
Cons
too much lifitngs and bendings
Positive work environment.
Full-time Coffee Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 November 2016
After your probationary period (200 hours), you feel secure in your job. Raises are awarded according to hours worked, which add up fast if you are full time or cover shifts frequently.
Department hours are frequently cut. If you are part-time, your hours get cut first and there are not a lot of full-time positions available.If a slacker employee goes past their probation, you are stuck with them until they quit.
Pros
Nice coworkers and benefits.
Cons
Have to get a lot done in little time.
freindly
Baker and Decorator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia12 November 2016
wonderful career and great benefits. Friendly people to work with and your wage goes up as to how many hours you work so automatic raises no having to ask for a raise. Union Job and contract is negotiated every 5-10 year. there is a really good medical and dental plan
Pros
good medical if full time
Cons
must be able to work fast in a high stress job
Fast paced and makes time fly
Night Stock /Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Working with friendly customers always a bonus
Always keep you productive so time goes by fast
Management can be very hard on staff
Pros
Discount on grocery items, $ .25 raise every March
Cons
Hard to move up in store
An okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
The job its self is very easy, I wish that it was easer to move up in the work place but its all about seniority which means that there is very little possibility of raises, and better hours unless your willing to commit to working there your entire life
It's okay
Produce Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  British Columbia20 October 2016
Department mangers were great. Store management was not. They hire more people then they need but no one gets any hours as a cashier because they don't want to pay benefits for full time employees. If you need a part time job or are going to school its fine. If you need full time. Work as a clerk or in produce.
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB6 September 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
to many people protected by union.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK11 January 2017
fun environment, but lots of lazy people who are protected by union. most work is done by a small group of people while others are slow to move. Could have been fixed with better managment
Pros
union based raises
Cons
lazy staff
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ON2 August 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented
I enjoyed the people I worked with
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB26 October 2016
The people I worked with were great. I enjoyed the physical aspect of the job and how fast my shifts would go. I liked that I could book days off when I needed to.
Pros
raises every 500 hours
Cons
not getting enough shifts
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Best Job I've Had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2016
Grocery & Retail are not my normal lines of work. I put my resume online and was contact by Safeway for an interview so I went. I passed the screening and was selected for hiring and eventual training.

The training process was smooth and well-oiled. I became a proficient cashier, nearly, and consistently, doubling normal sales in under 90 days. My speed, accuracy and mystery shopper reviews had opened doors into specialized positions.

As a file maintenance personnel, I had been given a lot more freedom to grow, manoeuvre, and be creative so long as it fell within the job parameters.

I sought work in the corporate sector but fell short in education. I pursued that education but lost my position. My education had opened further doors to which I pursued.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, Atmosphere, Structured, Secured
Cons
Co-worker drama, primarily a female job
Great workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
Good company to work for,great staff, good benefits, good pay.Good holidays fair rotation . I strive to work in a postive environment and give the best customer service to each individual.
good first job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 April 2016
I learned a lot about working in a retail environment, doing work both independently and as a team. A lot of opportunity to socialize, varied paces. I didn't always agree with management, but I enjoyed working with my co-workers, who were always friendly, and there were some opportunities to see them outside of the work environment.

the hardest part of the job is once you get used to it, it begins to feel a little monotonous, which can make being enthusiastic about work difficult.
the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see my coworkers and my occasional opportunities to experience other jobs within the store.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, good community
Cons
monotonous, sometimes very slow pace
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 July 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC23 August 2016
The best part of the job was my co workers, they were all friendly and outgoing. Worst part was working so late, it closes at 12 so we were usually there until 1230.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long Hours
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC8 April 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Great Job
manager- Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 September 2016
great company to work. I was trained very well by my mentor. Great benefits and and flexible working hours. Worked there for 2 years, but now its time to move on.
Pleasant C0-Workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB24 October 2016
A typical day as a cashier would involve:
Greet customers
Scan or register customers’ purchases
Accept payments from customers and give change and receipts
Bag or wrap customers’ purchases
Process returns and exchanges of merchandise
Answer customers’ questions and provide information about store policies
Help customers sign up for store rewards programs or credit cards
The management at Safeway are all pleasant and friendly
The hardest part of my job is minimum pay and currently working 12-16 hours per week definitely need more hours.
The most enjoyable part of my job is always being around other people, whether it be co-workers or customers, and constantly interacting with other people
Learning how to deal with people, how to talk to people and how to treat people with respect is a valuable skill that will carry me far in any career, and in my everyday life.
Pros
opportunity to get out, and interact with other adults
Cons
low hours and pay
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB3 September 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace