Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work
Always productive and a great place to work especially with the kind of people there
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot working here. I obtained many different skills especially people skills and working with a many different people. The job was never too difficult but of course it had its challenges. Management was excellent other than the fact that you couldn't gain more hours on your schedule.
Pros
good benefits and great people
Cons
not felxible for changes in schedule
Just fun for people of they're on country
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 17, 2016
There is no chance to work for this company, specially when is running by people from India or Pakistan they only hire people from their country. Specially Saddle Ridge Location at Calgary AB.
I had bad experience when I applied there, and as a customer I notices the lack of customer service skills.
Pros
Lucky people who already have a job with good benefits
Cons
People with out consideration
The management culture within Safeway was very driven to succeed
PLANT OFFICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 26, 2016
Safeway was a very forward thinking organization in terms of policies and procedure's, such as Sarbanes Oxley as well as the Five S program.

My career began as a part time employee, working my way to Plant Office Supervisor managing a staff of three.

I learned to multitask and prioritize because of the nature of the business.
Pros
I had the opportunity to travel for training
Cons
Working Saturdays for inventory each month
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 23, 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
very productive and fun place to work
Gas Station Attendant (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABMay 10, 2016
It is a great place to work. It can be very busy at times and other times very slow in the slow times there is a lot of cleaning and stocking to be done. I love the atmosphere and i love working with my co-workers as well as the customers that enter our store. There is always new things to learn on the job. when a till stops working to wrongly entered price amounts.
Pros
I get to work with great people, and there is always things to do to keep me on my toes.
Cons
I am not able to have a set schedule
An enjoyable but busy atmosphere.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 28, 2016
A typical day of work used to be working with one or two other people on the weekend and working on your own for three hours out of a four hour shift on the weekend. It changed so that one was working by oneself for most of an eight hour shift on the weekend, leading to excess stress and making time management difficult.
While working with co-workers or working by oneself time management and efficiency were learned to enable one to make one drink in as little as thirty seconds.
Management in the kiosk was usually good. Upon switching to the downtown Red Deer location, the manager was careless about scheduling.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work alone on a very busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to taste test new drinks.
Best Job I've Had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2016
Grocery & Retail are not my normal lines of work. I put my resume online and was contact by Safeway for an interview so I went. I passed the screening and was selected for hiring and eventual training.

The training process was smooth and well-oiled. I became a proficient cashier, nearly, and consistently, doubling normal sales in under 90 days. My speed, accuracy and mystery shopper reviews had opened doors into specialized positions.

As a file maintenance personnel, I had been given a lot more freedom to grow, manoeuvre, and be creative so long as it fell within the job parameters.

I sought work in the corporate sector but fell short in education. I pursued that education but lost my position. My education had opened further doors to which I pursued.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, Atmosphere, Structured, Secured
Cons
Co-worker drama, primarily a female job
Canada Safeway Ltd.
Cashier/ floral/ bakery (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 13, 2016
I enjoyed meeting the public and solving their concerns about day to day purchased and dilemas about products at Safeway. Moverover, I enjoyed the Team work environment established at Safeway and the team I worked with.
Pros
Perks such as gift cards, lunches and verbal feedback.
Cons
The only objection I had with Safeway was the lack of hours.
Ping pong politics
produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Ladner, BCApril 11, 2016
This company gets sold on average every 5 years so the management is continually trying to shine their penny and lean the books.
High pressure on staff with no replacement for ill workers and always trying to impress by running too lean.
Makes for a vicious circle...
Pros
Employees can bed great to work with. Customers were awesome.
Cons
Poor management skills, high production pressure. Standing all day.
Excellent place to work
S.E.A. Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 26, 2016
Every day was fun and educational. The company wanted everyone to be glad to be an employee with them.
The Management team was exceptional, always encouraging you to accept new programs and upgrade your education. That is how I was invited to learn QuickBooks and haven't looked back. The hardest part of the job was leaving as it was 'home'.
lost their way
food clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 23, 2016
after 29 years safeway lost their care factor for their emplyees . the management lost touch with the emplyees and the bottom line was the only important thing . in reality the single most valuable asset to a company is their employees and the companies should treat them like they are an asset not an expendature.
Pros
full accomidations included
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
Management was terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABMarch 30, 2016
I felt that the management took a lot more breaks then was allowed. They went outside to smoke a lot on every break they took. It seemed like they took about 5 breaks per shift. Completely unfair and stuck up management.
Pros
Getting paid was pretty much the only good thing about working there.
Cons
Poor management, some very disrespectful customers, stuck up managers
ExampProductive and excellent work ethicle: Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2016
most enjoyable part of my job was working the team of cashiers, produce clerks and customer service.
safeway is a good place for students for starter jobs.
Pros
employee discount offered on some items in store
Cons
nothing to comment
Very awesome team!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCMay 10, 2016
I really enjoy working for Safeway, you start off above minimum wadge which is nice, the training is great and the job itself is vrey fun if you enjoy interacting with people! However they canot provide newer employees with enough hours (only 10-15 a week) so a lot of students cant afford to only have the one job!
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Excellent company to work for; we worked hard but our efforts were appreciated.
Journeyman Baker/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK and Calgary ABMay 26, 2016
Enjoyed my time there. Company was very accommodating during time I was dealing with elderly parents. Truly miss the people I worked with.
Pros
Benefits/training/opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Varied and sometimes demanding schedules.
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
stressful place to work
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJuly 13, 2016
A co-worker made me do all the work while she was cutting up her fruits, while i was doing my part of the job. She made me clean her dishes and whatever she used after her shift. Then after her shift I told her off, that i was stressed out, so she did it again later on. SUCKED!
Pros
nice people
Cons
lots of work