Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

very fun job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 18, 2016
I loved working in the Deli department at Safeway. I learned how to make many different salads, and pasta salads. I learned how to slice lunch meats and eventually knew how many slices equaled so much grams. I learned a lot about food safety and keeping things clean and sanitized. My co-workers were older and very particular, but were wonderful ladies to work with. The hardest part of working in the deli, was learning how to safely clean the meat slicer and cooking the whole chickens, as well as remembering all the codes to the products. The best part was learning how to make the Salads and prepping the display case
Pros
great hours and benifits
Cons
lots of work
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Limited Hours, High Union Fees
Depends on location and coworkers
Cashier and Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBOctober 8, 2015
Depending on who you're working with this job can be fantastic or great pain in the neck. Some of the management is really friendly, where as others would really like to abuse their authority.

The hardest part of the job by far is dealing with the customers, as they have all sorts of questions and they're not always something you're knowledgeable or trained in. Regardless you're expected to resolve this customers issue while still getting your general tasks for the day done.

Most enjoyable, you're able to take lunch whenever you want and you've got plenty to choose from within the store.

Aside from this, produce clerks work alone and more often than not independent workers. This can be nice if you don't enjoy working in a group situation.
Pros
Take Lunch when you want, fantastic benefits
Cons
Over night shifts
Nice and friendly, Clean Working Environment
Meat Cutter/Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ABJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. They have a great benefits package and willing to work around your personal life schedule. They gave me optimum training, and great customer service skills. I would work for Safeway Canada again if I was given the opportunity.
Pros
Free Snacks
Cons
Starting Wage is unappropriate.
Competitive starting wage with a workers union
Barista (Former Employee) –  Sherwood, ABNovember 27, 2015
Challenging at first but everyone is willing to help you learn and get comfortable with the workplace.
As a Starbuck's Barista working at Safeway, especially in slower locations, it is incredibly energy draining. Not because it's busy, but because you must stand around for hours just brewing and dumping coffee every 15 minutes. Due to health regulations, you are not allowed to have any personal items behind the count of the kiosk. Items include cellphones and other smart devices, books, and personal documents. This means a student may not read his books/study/do homework during the slow hours of the day. You are also not permitted to leave your workstation (the kiosk) without reason. Be expected to stand for 6-8 hours doing literally nothing. They do not hire directly into full-time, so there are no grocery benefits. and because it is not a corporate Starbucks's location, no benefits are given to barista's, full time or not.
On the bright side, all staff including part timers are required to join the worker's union UFCW. With standard benefits such as ADB.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees
Average place to work
clerk (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Average pay but little benefits or pension when employed there. Don't know what it's like now or if it has improved. Workplace culture at that time was low.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
Scheduling, pay, weak benefits and pension at that time
Relaxing, fun place to work
Barista at Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Customer service was an asset. Friendly environment. Not too stressful. Meet a lot of new people. Did not feel safe at the location I was at.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Only one person in kiosk, was stressful at times
Productive and exceptional work place to start out in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 15, 2015
Safeway was a fun work place to start providing myself with stability, the best part of the job was being able to interact with customers and learn some great customer service skills that will help me out with other jobs. I met some awesome people and enjoyed my time there but I just wanted to explore other options and experience something different.
Pros
Good starting salary
Cons
Shift work, Having to be available on all sundays
Productive workplace that is consistent with workflow
Cashier/Bakery Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 3, 2015
Safeway is like any other grocery store, but focuses on customer service over anything else. All of the departments put concentration into serving the customers and fulfilling their needs.
Pros
Monthly coupon benefits
Cons
Reduced Hours
A good employer for inexperienced workers
Payroll/scheduling clerk (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCNovember 1, 2015
Safeway is a good place for a new worker who would like to learn about the retail sector. Union job with high job security and good advancement for those with the drive and initiative. Pay starts off low but does eventually provide a living wage. Hours start off low as well but as your seniority rises your hours maximize eventually. Best to start when a student or to have management goals quickly
Pros
Good job security
Cons
low pay and hours at first
Stressful but financially rewarding
DELI MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Canmore, ABSeptember 8, 2015
Long hours, personal satisfaction of enhanced sales and customer satisfaction, nice benefits, helpful key staff, opportunities for advancement
Benefits
Cons
Lousy life/work balance
An enjoyable but busy atmosphere.
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 28, 2016
A typical day of work used to be working with one or two other people on the weekend and working on your own for three hours out of a four hour shift on the weekend. It changed so that one was working by oneself for most of an eight hour shift on the weekend, leading to excess stress and making time management difficult.
While working with co-workers or working by oneself time management and efficiency were learned to enable one to make one drink in as little as thirty seconds.
Management in the kiosk was usually good. Upon switching to the downtown Red Deer location, the manager was careless about scheduling.
Co-workers were friendly and helpful.
The hardest part of the job was being scheduled to work alone on a very busy day.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to taste test new drinks.
Best Job I've Had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 17, 2016
Grocery & Retail are not my normal lines of work. I put my resume online and was contact by Safeway for an interview so I went. I passed the screening and was selected for hiring and eventual training.

The training process was smooth and well-oiled. I became a proficient cashier, nearly, and consistently, doubling normal sales in under 90 days. My speed, accuracy and mystery shopper reviews had opened doors into specialized positions.

As a file maintenance personnel, I had been given a lot more freedom to grow, manoeuvre, and be creative so long as it fell within the job parameters.

I sought work in the corporate sector but fell short in education. I pursued that education but lost my position. My education had opened further doors to which I pursued.
Pros
Hours, Benefits, Atmosphere, Structured, Secured
Cons
Co-worker drama, primarily a female job
great workplace with SOME hardworking staff who were kind and knowledgable about the job and were very helpful
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 23, 2016
a typical day at Safeway for me involves assisting costumers find items on the shelves (i memorized where everything is) carrying groceries out to their cars, cleaning bad messes in the store and in the parking-lot, dealing with the occasional thief or drunkard. we had alot of older customers i would walk them out to their cars and help them find there keys. on days when there is alot of backstock or a large orders i would help work the stock to the shelf and then organize the backstock.
Pros
.free lunches when you helped with volunteer work or store promotions.
Cons
drama, small break room, lack of privacy, lazy assistant managers, lack of staff, my food would be stolen from the fridge.
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Good hours, room for advancement, not a bad job.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Medicine HatMay 11, 2016
Typical days at work were simple, most of the tasks i was assigned were easy and quick. I learned how to operate a cash register, as well as increased exposure and practice in the customer service fields. Management was always positive and easy to get along with, however getting tough answers out of them proved difficult at times.
My co-workers were always helpful and easy to work with, they did whatever they could to help out one another. The hardest part of my job was getting tough answers out of management, they lacked grit and toughness in certain situations. They seemed too eager to please everyone at times and thus certain problems were left unfixed and not solved. The most enjoyable part of my job was the amount of trust I was given, I was able to work individually and indepenenatly when the situation called for it.
Pros
Lots of hours, flexible hours, good discounts, flexible break times, lots of room and opportunity for advancement
Cons
Lack of grit and tenacity from management
Work at Safeway
Acting Manager and staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB OgdenAugust 6, 2015
Work at Safeway was fun and quite good. I was a valued staff. I would have stayed but needed to help my wife with our baby since she was was going to Nursing school during the day. This was the reason I joined Shoppers first as an overnight pharmacists. The benefits and compensation was quite good.
Pros
Unknown Shopper on the spot check.
Cons
Air miles Tuesday.
Great Pharmacy Environment
Retail Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2016
Excellent place to get started in the retail pharmacy career path. Pharmacists, technicians, and assistants all worked cohesively to ensure the best possible outcome in patient care.

The most enjoyable part of my job was coming in to work and knowing that something as simple as mixing a child's antibiotics could make a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, good atmosphere
Cons
Union controlled
A solid place to work, where teamwork is a plus.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day at Safeway was starting your shift as you relieved the other cashier. You worked for 2 hours then got your first 15 minute break, though sometimes it could differ a bit and you might have to wait up to an extra 30 minutes before you got your break. Lunch was a half hour break usually would depend on the order of when who started, people who started at 8 am went first obviously. The last 15 minute break was around 2 hours after lunch. During the day you would simply put customers through your till in a polite and fast way. When you had no customers you would tidy up your till area and organize the front of shelf's in front of your till.

You learn how to better your communication skills, including people skills team work skills problem solving as well as how to handle money.

Management was fair for the most part, only one of the managers was unpleasant.

Almost every co-worker was nice and fun to be around. We all helped each other out.

The most difficult part of the job was when you had to deal with an upset costumer. Or the busy 2 hours from 4pm-6pm.

The most enjoyable aspect was simply working with people you got along with.
Pros
Friendly enviroment
Cons
Possible angry customers
Retail work, clean and classy, backpain
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2016
Your schedule is ready for about 3 weeks ahead so that was a good point.
Your day starts with your shift, and as a Cashier, after 3 is the busy hours, and after 8 gets quite.

You will work weekends, if you choose not to, it is OK with them but you will not get good hours. So better to say Yes at the beginning then adjust your time in.

Scheduling is a good point of Safeway.

People are nice, as Safeway is expensive store, you dont see weird people come in and go, often,
Pros
Union
Cons
Insurance after 6 months of work