Safeway

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It's a great job
Store Associate, Subway (Current Employee), CapilanoJuly 27, 2015
I work in the deli at safeway as a deli clerk. I work at capliano safeway. Its a very team work related job and I enjoy going to work there. I find my coworkers to be very friendly and helpful and willing to help me whenever need be.
productive and taught me some new things
deli clerk (Former Employee), winnipeg, mbJuly 23, 2015
A typical work day involved prepping salads, sandwiches, subs, using industrial ovens to cook turkeys and chickens. use of deep fryers, cutting meats with slicer and tenting to customers. I learned to use the meat slicers and how to weigh meats and salads on a scale in grams and pounds. How to sanitize all cookware, ovens and deep fryers. Can't really say much about management because they hardly came around. My Co-workers were fun and knowledgeable and I appreciate the things they taught me in so little time. The hardest part of my job at Safeway was cleaning the deep fryer. I enjoyed working their because it was close to home.
Low hours, low pay, no reason to stay
Lower Management/Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONJuly 18, 2015
Low hours, low pay, no reason to stay. Like many grocery/department stores they hire a bunch of part-time people to avoid paying benefits, to work 15 hours a week in four 4-hour shifts at all times of the day. Pay is lousy, you have to come in all the time for very little hours and it just is not a good place to work.
Not much to say
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2015
Safeway was my start up job. Deli work. It was a fun atmosphere, mostly young people. I worked there for a couple years but had to leave. Safeway is not a place that I would call my permanent job. As a start up job its amazing.
lots bagging and demanding always good and nice face under bad siuations
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), 655 osborneJuly 14, 2015
most of time have to stand and working hard, nice team working but not regular work hour makes me unstable income,demanding of bagging all the time is my hardest part.
Fun and enjoyable place to do work experience
Bakery Assistant/Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 12, 2015
Pros: amazing employees
Cons: rude customers
Safeway is a fun and enjoyable place to get work experience.
personally grow and develop you interests.
put your work ethnics to work.
fun and productive
Produce assistant manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2015
Pros: benefits and great people work with
Cons: no chance of moving up in company
enjoyed my experience with safeway, but reach my potential in the job i was doing and was no longer rewarding....applied for Management but was overlooked many times even in seniority so time to move on....
Safeway was great until Sobey's bought it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 9, 2015
I loved working at Safeway the other employees were great until Sobey's took over and new Management started making life difficult and so I resigned.
it was overall a good position enjoy working with people and money!
Cashier (Former Employee), abbottsfield edmonton albertaJuly 6, 2015
Pros: good friendly enviroment
Cons: when it got slow
I enjoyed the work it was a friendly environment and the day passed by quickly when we were busy, but when it was slow it was a long shift, but the hours cutbacks is what subsequently forced me to quit and I didn't like that they over-hired.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Canada, Calgary 130th aveJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Great managment team
Cons: short hours giving
A typical work day, would start with clocking in then talking to you manager and hearing about any new promotions going on at work, contest..etc. Then you would go to you're till and start working most favourite part was when I was in the till and got to interact with all the different costumers that came through. Break you get to interact with you're co-workers which was nice, asking about their day knowing more about them. Everyone was friendly. Hardest part of the job would be when it is around thanksgiving and they is a lot of turkeys to lift and bag, but it wasn't so bad.
Fast paced and busy workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 25, 2015
Pros: benefits when you did good.
Cons: break time too short
It was a great place to work, I didn't work there for very long, but it was a good start for experience, and they're pretty relaxed as long as you do what you're supposed to.
exceptional
Deli Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 23, 2015
Pros: easy staff rooms
Cons: to busy at times
good staff always willing to help and good place to work fun fast paced enjoyable easy stuff at the deli making sandwiches
Fun and well-paced working environment
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work involved 2 15-minute paid breaks and a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. The beginning of my shift usually involved wrapping the meat that had not been wrapped and put out yet. At some point through out the day temperature logs would have to be taken. Constantly I would be checking how the meat shelves look, rearranging to make the products more presentable to customers. Near the end of the day, everyone else's shift is over, so it's just me. I would clean up the meat processing equipment as fast as possible, and then serve customers at the counter until 30 mins before closing. Then, I would close down the counter and store the products from the counter. One last check of the shelves and putting out any products in the backroom, and I was done.

I learned that some jobs have to happen, and some jobs can wait. When it's just you and you can't put the job on someone else, and you can't work overtime, you have to decide what's important and what can wait.

Management was very good in my case. My meat manager took great care in getting me lots of hours and even got me out to other stores. My store manager was out on the floor lots, and I saw him quite a few times.

My co-workers were fun to work with, which always made the work easier. You had to be able to take a joke though, and all of us could give it as well as we could take it.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning up, because I am a perfectionist and I always wanted everything to be as clean as possible. I would always take way too much time cleaning up, and then be rushed to do other jobs before closing down.

The most enjoyable part of the job was either chatting with my co-workers or with customers. When people are friendly with you, talking about the BBQ they're going to have with the steaks they're buying, it just makes it easier to do your job.
Courtesy Clerk - Alberta, Fort McMurray (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 22, 2015
Pros: Decent pay regardless of position
Cons: They might hire too many people for one position
enjoyed it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Nelson, BCJune 22, 2015
was a good company to work with. they train excellent and always accompanied when i needed the time off. they sure put the customers first and has the employee do the same
safeway is the most easy job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJune 16, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: short breaks
Safeway is run terrible i applied for fulltime i got partime the management is horrible the people are really nice but i didn't like that i had to quit cause i was not impressed with the hours i have lost
Good history, but fading
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), WinnipegJune 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules for young employees and students
Cons: Struggle of hours for part-timers
Great place for young employees, not much progress available though. You can see many changes with the Sobey's purchase and the dominance of Walmart and Superstore. That is just my honest opinion.
Productive workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
Pros: Extra pay for Sunday's schedule
Cons: Long hours
I learned a lot at Safeway most the deli products those kind of cheeses, ham, sausage and there's a lot. The hardest part if just by myself before the closing time. But I enjoyed the most part of the job.
Good job and fun place to work
bakery clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABMay 22, 2015
Pros: can buy old bakery goods at discount
Cons: lots of work to be done
must work fast to package and place bakery goods on shelves learn to have a overview of which products are done first enjoy working with co-workers the hardest part of the job is slicing bread the most enjoyable part of the job is placing bakery goods on shelves
great first job
Cashier, general clerk, produce clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: retail
work was stocking slef and it was good. i learned more about the grocery industry. managment was amazing. co workers wewre great to work with. hardest part was when they would schedual you to close then open the next day. most enjoyable was working with friends and other great people.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more