Safeway Employee Reviews

Fast working environment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 24, 2016
It was a great first job learning experience for me, ad I'm excited to move forward with another job opportunity. I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking for their first job and need experience.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
not long lunch break
Good Work Place
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 21, 2016
I loved my job at Safeway. What I did not like is the fact that I had a very unprofessional department manager who made working at this particular location very difficult. The job itself was very enjoyable.
Good environment, friendly staff, gave guaranteed hours, acomadated school and summer holidays.
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABSeptember 15, 2016
A typical day at work consist of looking at our production shelf and determining what needs to be filled or if I'm on pizza duty, I would be checking to see what pizza's need to be filled as well. In the deli department, I interact with customers on a daily basis; whether it's weighing sandwich meat, serving salad, or making a sandwich for the customer.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Don't really have one, just would like to try something new
Great Job
manager- Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 14, 2016
great company to work. I was trained very well by my mentor. Great benefits and and flexible working hours. Worked there for 2 years, but now its time to move on.
Gained experience and excellent costumer service.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 14, 2016
In my present job, i learned how to be responsible and extremely reliable. My costumer service skills improved and I connected with my costumers and realized how important it is to engage with every one, so they feel welcome and make them want to come back.
I grew an excellent friendship with my co-workers and supervisor, always was treated fair and welcome. It was always a fun day working with them all at once, but there is days where i work alone and have to work a lot more harder without help, but it wouldn't stop me from getting the job done. In a day of a shift is constantly standing, rushing and creating a great presentation. occasionally lifting, pulling and pushing. Definitely a fast paced environment which i didn't mind at all.
Pros
Buying the product i made and started eating healither
Cons
short shifts and low income
Safeway
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Leduc, ABSeptember 10, 2016
Learned how to work efficietly with others, quality work and responsibility.
Learned some customer service skills if i was ever asked a question
Learned to keep a clean, stress free work environment.
There was no hard parts about the job.
Used those electronic stock guns
everyone i workedwith was nice
Pros
Walk to work, flexible hours, nice people.
Productive workplace where all employees looked after each other and were friends
Cashier, Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Camrose, ABSeptember 10, 2016
A typical day at work started with greeting customers and helping them find what they needed to find. I learned that hard work and dedication can get you a long way. The management at this establishment was really friendly and always encouraged you too do your best. My co-workers were extremely serviceable they always tried their hardest to please the customers. The hardest part of the job was not being able to satisfy the customers needs. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers fill their needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Fun environment to work in
Cons
short hours
Continued learning with productivity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABSeptember 6, 2016
Current work is more physically demanding. Quite strenuous considering the nature of the business. I enjoy working with several employees and find it more interesting to be acquainted with different people. I end my day knowing at least that i get to serve our customers with satisfaction and leave my work with a SMILE just as when i got started.
Pros
Unionized company with good benefits
Cons
too much liftings and bendings
Good
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
Doing the same work every day is a boring routine. It was a monotonous and laborious job which does not need any creativity. Working hours were irregular.
great place to work..
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 3, 2016
a good company and great people around.store managers are very approchable and they offer a good benefits for the workers..they have a clean workplace
Worst experience of my life; don't work here!
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 1, 2016
Pros:

-Coworkers are generally pretty nice and helpful. They are what makes the job bearable.

-Most customers are kind people and the really friendly ones can make your day. It's nice to have people genuinely smile at you.

-It's unionized.

-Always hiring, even in the bad economy. They will literally take anyone. If you're in dire straits, then you can work for minimum wage and not freeze to death while you wait for even McDonalds or Walmart to give you a call.

Cons:
Where to begin... long rant ahead.

-Training was awful. They sent me to a store 20km away from the store I was to be employed at, which was ridiculous. The trainer was a nasty sexiest woman who took pleasure in knocking people down and then kicking them while they were down there. She only critiqued women who were training (particularly overweight women) and either ignored questions or got angry when you did ask. She wanted people to jump in with only a minute or two maximum of instruction, but if people made mistakes, she chewed them out. All-in-all, it was a miserable experience to be involved in. There were times I felt like throwing my uniform in the trash and quitting in a fantastical manner and this was only the first week. It got worse from here.
--You get treated much the same in your store (although your supervisor is unlikely to be as bad as the cruel egomaniacs that they have who do the training), only you're expected to do much more without ever asking for guidance.

-They expect you to know everything very early on (think within ten minutes of your first training day) and to not
  more... make any mistakes or inconvenience people by asking for assistance, particularly one-on-one assistance.

-They tell you to ask questions when you need help, but often times they ignore you.

-You work on your own very early on which is incredibly stressful

-The pay is terrible, there are no benefits, and the hours are really long.

-It hurts to be on your feet all day.

-Company rules and policies about things like earrings and other piercings, tattoos, hair colour, scruff and beards, social media, etc. are ridiculous and outdated. Having to believe in the brand without ever critically discussing it is incredibly wrong. No wonder safeway is losing tons of customers to Walmart.

-The store and breakroom are outdated; the lockers are all busted (and thus there are no safe places to store valuables), there are no windows, the chairs are uncomfortable, small and crowded fridge, etc.

-Management uses secret shoppers which is a really nasty thing to do, particularly to new employees who are just learning. I've seen people sobbing in the washroom from this treatment. It sucks to tell them about this practice that the company denies but clearly does. Most of these people quit within a month which results in extremely high rates of turnover and resulted in even more stress.

-Mean customers who act like you exist to wait on them hand, foot, and finger. Thankfully this is rare; you might get one person like this out of fifty during an eight hour shift.

-The store is dirty; greasy floors in the deli area (so bad that I almost slipped even with brand new non-skid shoes with grip tape on them) with tons of garbage on them and on the counters. Handwashing and proper glove procedure is rarely enforced and when you inadvertently make a hygiene mistake (which could have been prevented with proper reinforcement early on) that someone notices, they will be harsh in their treatment of you, be it a know-it-all customer or lazy supervisors who pick that one moment to humiliate you in front of others.

-They throw out a ton of food and keep the ovens on 24/7 which is terrible for the environment. No matter what I said, they were never willing to look at alternatives.

-Things were very disorganized. The clock in machine rejected people half the time, the schedule varied like crazy, there were always either too many or too few people working. There were never enough medium and large sized gloves. Breaks tended to be at random times and varied from shift to shift. Always tons of turnover which makes keeping up hard. Can't see the labels on the products which means that people who don't or can't memorize what products look like constantly have to ask customers for help which can be very annoying for them.

-This is petty, but the uniform is ugly and uncomfortable. I got a rash from where the seam rubbed my shoulder.
Safeway is my learning school.
Frontend Cashier and Grocery clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 23, 2016
Well, I don't have any bad experience but ya there were some hectic days when i was getting tired before my shift, though it was a good learning experience. I was working as a grocery clerk and I have leant how to put groceries that it looks good and properly arranged. How we order our groceries and how we decide the price and discounts. We change every end t the end of the month so it is long process.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my collegues. They teach me everything. They are always there for me to solve my problems, my doubts and the atmosphere of the work-place.
Pros
Have been learning about team work at work-place
Cons
Not really
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 23, 2016
The best part of the job was my co workers, they were all friendly and outgoing. Worst part was working so late, it closes at 12 so we were usually there until 1230.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long Hours
Overall, a pretty good place to work.
Baker's Helper (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 17, 2016
I've only experienced their bakery department; however, I did get to interract with the other people in different departments during breaks.
The average day would simply be organised tasks of meeting the daily quota of production.
The bakery manager was great at keeping a schedule of what to produce on a daily basis.
The coworkers were varied, despite a majority being baker's helpers, were versatile in their productivity.
The hardest part of the job would be the occasional double shift from day to night.
Pros
Gained new experiences from a variety of people.
Cons
Double shifting from day shift to night shift
Loved it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Safeway. Safeway was my very first official job. My co-workers were always a pleasure to work with. The part I enjoyed most about working for Safeway was the customers. I met and got to know so many kind and down to earth people. It feels really good to be able to go visit and have customers recognize and make good conversation you.
productive work environment
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 12, 2016
physically demanding and rewarding job. I only want to leave because there is not many opportunities for growth and development past the stage I am already at.
Pros
great staff
Cons
no development
Develop life skills
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 11, 2016
Routine is not
the word I would use to describe a typical work day .Every day is a new experience .It is a learned skill to meet and greet a variety of people every day. This would include management as well as co-workers.The variety was both the most enjoyable as well as the most difficult part of any customer service position. The only person you can control is yourself and your interaction with all the different people you may encounter in any given day..
I have also found age to be a mellowing agent .
First Job
Checker (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAAugust 10, 2016
This was my first real job. It was not my favorite and it was very dull, but it's good for people who just got out of high school and need an easy job.
Awesome
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 5, 2016
Fun job, got to meet lots of new people. this job helped me stay busy

management was very kind and helped me out when i needed it

the hardest part of the job was being in the heat all day long

I enjoyed dealing with fruit
Pros
free lunches
Great overall!
Registered Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONAugust 2, 2016
I am truly sad to be leaving the Safeway family. Relocating to Southern Ontario, I could not transfer to another Safeway. Awesome atmosphere, great communication between management and staff, amazing benefits.
Department manager was an amazing man who really cared for his staff and brought out the best in everyone. Great motivator and made sure to follow through with requests and policies.
Pros
Family situation oriented