Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Great, fun work space with enthusiastic co-workers
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Langley, BCMay 4, 2016
The work environment at Safeway was enjoyable and safe. Everything was always organized and worked like a machine. Every day was busy but the great co-workers and management team helped relieve any issues that would emerge.
Busy fast paced environment
Calgary - Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
Pros: good co workers
Cons: long hours and low pay for hard work
typical day

customer service
cleaning
handling money
handling food

I learnt how to handle food safely and how to work quickly
always something to do
curtasy clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 3, 2016
Loved helping customers. Unlearned the correct way to sweep a floor. overall was a good place to work. didn't like working late hours.
fun place to learn
Bakery Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 2, 2016
Pros: freindly place
Cons: far location
This place was easy to follow tasks. The hours were reasonable. The staff were friendly. The benifits were awesome. I was happy to be offered extra hours or change in days to work if needed.
great people to work with.
Deli and seafood clerk (Former Employee), North Vancouver, BCApril 29, 2016
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: very physical work
I enjoyed serving the customers and working with the great staff.I enjoyed preparing the food.This was a very high paced environment where we had to multitask.The hardest part was finding reliable staff.
productive,friendly coworker
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2016
working on a food service is not a joke..your dealing with food that everybody can eat.so it should be healthy and free from unwanted things or not good for the body.
co-workers is very friendly,we have different culture and we learn different things from each other.
Didn't work long enough to review
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I wasn't working there long enough so I don't think it's fair to do a review. My short time their was enjoyable.Try it out see if you like it. Staff that I worked with are still there so that must say something..
coffee fun
Barista (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: pay
Great customers
learned a lot about coffee
great upper management
flexible hours
co-worker were ok not the greatest
the most enjoyable part was meeting nice people
fun place
Cashier & Costumer Services (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 23, 2016
Pretty good company, people were nice to me and they were happy to teach me. I have learned a lot from them and made some friends who worked there.
learning a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Delta, BCApril 22, 2016
Pros: time passes fasst
Cons: very stress full
very hectic but that was fine. management was good. time passes very quickly. there is no fun there . management is nice. i have learnt how creat relationship with oeople
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Pros: Compensation, training
Cons: Working hours, little room for advancement
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Loved been busy
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 17, 2016
Pros: Puntual
Cons: Long hours
Wasn't too happy about the fact that you will get call almost all days to cover shift for others.
The staff is very professional
Ping pong politics
produce clerk (Current Employee), Ladner, BCApril 11, 2016
Pros: Employees can bed great to work with. Customers were awesome.
Cons: Poor management skills, high production pressure. Standing all day.
This company gets sold on average every 5 years so the management is continually trying to shine their penny and lean the books.
High pressure on staff with no replacement for ill workers and always trying to impress by running too lean.
Makes for a vicious circle...
n/a
Front-end Cashier (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 9, 2016
Not a very good place to work. Was a great learning experience. Horrible working environment. A very toxic work environment.
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Pros: Benefits available
Cons: Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Safeway
Cashier (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 7, 2016
Cashier jobs are very stressful, working with the public is not for me. Staff is very confrontational. but good for young students to work if its a summer job and not a serious.
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
Pros: short shifts
Cons: too little hours
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Pros: Productive
Cons: Less work hours as part time
Provided customers the best shopping experience. One of the best teams in the industry to enhance one's skill set and advance career as it's the great place to be.
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
Management was terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Stony Plain, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: Getting paid was pretty much the only good thing about working there.
Cons: Poor management, some very disrespectful customers, stuck up managers
I felt that the management took a lot more breaks then was allowed. They went outside to smoke a lot on every break they took. It seemed like they took about 5 breaks per shift. Completely unfair and stuck up management.
Links