Safeway

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Better than Nothing
General Clerk (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: Paid Breaks
Cons: Limited Hours, High Union Fees
The paychecks don't bounce and the schedules get put up regularly, which is more than I can say for my last job.

The union fees puts your pay below minimum wage...for nothing exactly apparent in benefits.

Managers intentionally schedule you to give you as few hours as possible and leave the store understaffed. You'll never get enough hours to qualify for any of the benefits, except maybe in summer.
Pushing carts wasnt soo bad
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoyed working at safeway, i didnt mind retreiving carts and baskets, i would have liked to do more though. I would definitely work there again
Fun but stressful workplace. (so yeah figure that one out)
Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Cons: No discounts, hours are cut
I do not like most of my co-workers, there is only few that I like. Most of my co-workers are bad at what they do (work). The hardest part of the job is working with people who do not want to work.
Great and busy place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 24, 2016
It was busy day at work. It was all about daily teller service. Hard work but really enjoyable in the way to get more ideas about grocery business.
Busy environment
Cashier/Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 23, 2016
Busy working place. Learned with all the different walks of life with all different people. Co workers are fun to work with. Every single day is the most enjoyable day there is a hard part which is dealing with complains and try to solve the problems which is our learning grounds as well.
Average place to work
clerk (Former Employee), Thompson, MBJanuary 21, 2016
Pros: working with the public
Cons: Scheduling, pay, weak benefits and pension at that time
Average pay but little benefits or pension when employed there. Don't know what it's like now or if it has improved. Workplace culture at that time was low.
Nice and friendly, Clean Working Environment
Meat Cutter/Wrapper (Former Employee), Cochrane, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Free Snacks
Cons: Starting Wage is unappropriate.
I enjoyed working at Safeway. They have a great benefits package and willing to work around your personal life schedule. They gave me optimum training, and great customer service skills. I would work for Safeway Canada again if I was given the opportunity.
Supportive and productivity work place
Retail Shelf Stocker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: I was earning money to take of my family
Cons: no complains
I enjoyed working at this business. I had a good supporting cast and the job was fulfilling. My co-workers were supportive and so was management. I enjoyed my job and I couldn't think of a negative experience.
Relaxing, fun place to work
Barista at Starbucks (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Only one person in kiosk, was stressful at times
Customer service was an asset. Friendly environment. Not too stressful. Meet a lot of new people. Did not feel safe at the location I was at.
Cheerful workplace and friendly co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 9, 2016
bagging groceries
greeting and helping customers
cash handling
credit and debit transactions
store promotions
weekly team meetings
standing for long periods of time
50% off safeway products
meh
Bar Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Dawson Creek, BCJanuary 7, 2016
what a rip-off, i was shorted on pay on every paycheque in 3 months. management was less than proffessional. it was not a pleasant experience
awesome
customer service (Former Employee), Langley, BCJanuary 4, 2016
typical day is stocking the shelves and handling the customers orders. how to handle currency and price things out. management wasnt all the best they barely did anything. my co workers were lazy and never really tried to pick up there slack and never fully applied themselves.
Its alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Cranbrook, BCJanuary 2, 2016
some huge potential with this job just need to be patient and invest years into the company to work to the top of the union senority list
Enjoyed working with amazing people.
Cashier (Former Employee), Courtenay, BCDecember 30, 2015
Pros: Paid days off, paid sick days
Cons: Closing of all vancouver island stores
I have been with the company for over 14 years. I came to call these people family. We always helped one another. Sad to see that we were split up but will never be forgotten
Fast paced
Deli Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 27, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
I learned how to make fruit and veggie trays. My co-workers were very nice. The hardest would be to close down the deli by yourself. The best part would be the customers.
Nice place to work
Meat Cutter (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 14, 2015
Pros: Unionized and good working conditions
Cons: poor pay and job prospects
Meat cutting is an excellent job if you can make it work.shifts range from early morning to just before lunch to start and end usually around the 7:30 pm area.
Cleanliness is important as is being nice to customers
friendly environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 30, 2015
Pros: positive, multitasking
Cons: no cons
My co-workers and management are so friendly and we work like a family. My day ends so fast everyday talking with customers and serve them good service. i learned so many cultures n nautre of another countries people. the hardest part of job when its not busy n we have to stand just look around and wait for a customer. the most enjoyable part of the job is talking to customers n they are so friendly.
Competitive starting wage with a workers union
Barista (Former Employee), Sherwood, ABNovember 27, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: No benefits whatsoever for part-time employees
Challenging at first but everyone is willing to help you learn and get comfortable with the workplace.
As a Starbuck's Barista working at Safeway, especially in slower locations, it is incredibly energy draining. Not because it's busy, but because you must stand around for hours just brewing and dumping coffee every 15 minutes. Due to health regulations, you are not allowed to have any personal items behind the count of the kiosk. Items include cellphones and other smart devices, books, and personal documents. This means a student may not read his books/study/do homework during the slow hours of the day. You are also not permitted to leave your workstation (the kiosk) without reason. Be expected to stand for 6-8 hours doing literally nothing. They do not hire directly into full-time, so there are no grocery benefits. and because it is not a corporate Starbucks's location, no benefits are given to barista's, full time or not.
On the bright side, all staff including part timers are required to join the worker's union UFCW. With standard benefits such as ADB.
enjoyable (former employee)
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 26, 2015
What we did packed baked goods listen to gossip helped customers learned to write on cakes and cleaned the store. Good management for the most. Would go back again just not in the bakery
good working environment
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABNovember 25, 2015
Pros: greatwork place
Cons: lack of hours
working at safeway was fun, however they do not hire full time if i could i would apply again in a minute. great management
Industry