Safeway

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
exceptional
Deli Assistant (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJune 23, 2015
Pros: easy staff rooms
Cons: to busy at times
good staff always willing to help and good place to work fun fast paced enjoyable easy stuff at the deli making sandwiches
Fun and well-paced working environment
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABJune 23, 2015
A typical day at work involved 2 15-minute paid breaks and a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. The beginning of my shift usually involved wrapping the meat that had not been wrapped and put out yet. At some point through out the day temperature logs would have to be taken. Constantly I would be checking how the meat shelves look, rearranging to make the products more presentable to customers. Near the end of the day, everyone else's shift is over, so it's just me. I would clean up the meat processing equipment as fast as possible, and then serve customers at the counter until 30 mins before closing. Then, I would close down the counter and store the products from the counter. One last check of the shelves and putting out any products in the backroom, and I was done.

I learned that some jobs have to happen, and some jobs can wait. When it's just you and you can't put the job on someone else, and you can't work overtime, you have to decide what's important and what can wait.

Management was very good in my case. My meat manager took great care in getting me lots of hours and even got me out to other stores. My store manager was out on the floor lots, and I saw him quite a few times.

My co-workers were fun to work with, which always made the work easier. You had to be able to take a joke though, and all of us could give it as well as we could take it.

The hardest part of the job was cleaning up, because I am a perfectionist and I always wanted everything to be as clean as possible. I would always take way too much time cleaning up, and then be rushed to do other jobs before closing down.

The most enjoyable part of the job was either chatting with my co-workers or with customers. When people are friendly with you, talking about the BBQ they're going to have with the steaks they're buying, it just makes it easier to do your job.
Courtesy Clerk - Alberta, Fort McMurray (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 22, 2015
Pros: Decent pay regardless of position
Cons: They might hire too many people for one position
It was a great place to work, I didn't work there for very long, but it was a good start for experience, and they're pretty relaxed as long as you do what you're supposed to.
enjoyed it
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Nelson, BCJune 22, 2015
was a good company to work with. they train excellent and always accompanied when i needed the time off. they sure put the customers first and has the employee do the same
safeway is the most easy job
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJune 16, 2015
Pros: nice people
Cons: short breaks
Safeway is run terrible i applied for fulltime i got partime the management is horrible the people are really nice but i didn't like that i had to quit cause i was not impressed with the hours i have lost
Good history, but fading
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), WinnipegJune 3, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedules for young employees and students
Cons: Struggle of hours for part-timers
Great place for young employees, not much progress available though. You can see many changes with the Sobey's purchase and the dominance of Walmart and Superstore. That is just my honest opinion.
Productive workplace
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 2, 2015
Pros: Extra pay for Sunday's schedule
Cons: Long hours
I learned a lot at Safeway most the deli products those kind of cheeses, ham, sausage and there's a lot. The hardest part if just by myself before the closing time. But I enjoyed the most part of the job.
Good job and fun place to work
bakery clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton,ABMay 22, 2015
Pros: can buy old bakery goods at discount
Cons: lots of work to be done
must work fast to package and place bakery goods on shelves learn to have a overview of which products are done first enjoy working with co-workers the hardest part of the job is slicing bread the most enjoyable part of the job is placing bakery goods on shelves
great first job
Cashier, general clerk, produce clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 21, 2015
Pros: great pay
Cons: retail
work was stocking slef and it was good. i learned more about the grocery industry. managment was amazing. co workers wewre great to work with. hardest part was when they would schedual you to close then open the next day. most enjoyable was working with friends and other great people.
Safeway
Part-time Deli Clerk (Current Employee), Regent Park - ReginaMay 20, 2015
Pros: get to meet numerous different people. Get to be a little creative
Cons: on feet all day long
open up the sliced meat and the salad counter before the store opens. Prepare chickens to be cooked for store, make sure that all the shelves are stocked to full capacity. Make list of what needs to be produced so that the shelves can be kept full. Wait on customers through out the day.
good workplace with good team work
Cashier (Former Employee), Surrey, BCMay 20, 2015
A typical day at work constructed of for me working as a cashier and making sure each and every customer was pleased with the service and did not leave the store disappointed. I learned that it is important to be patient and have good communication skill in order to satisfy customer needs. My co-workers were well supportive, some were a little engrossed into their own work without helping out a new employee but others were of great help. The hardest part of the job was when a customer stated that they did not have a good experience and having to deal with their distress was very sad. The most enjoyable part was seeing a smile on a customers face and helping people.
Good starting job, with nice people
Meat Clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 12, 2015
Pros: co-workers and nice people
Cons: the cold and sometimes the customers
Almost all of my co-workers were really nice people, who I could count on to have my back when i needed them. Management was usually good and always firm on the dress code. A typical day at work at safeway was cold (because I was in a cold department), quite often boring or dead (during the week), and usually streesful or pain in the butt. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with the customers or the constant cold. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely working with my co-workers. I learned to work at a fastpace especially when it was busy.
Customer orientated, fast paced environment.
Deli staff (Current Employee), winnipeg MBMay 9, 2015
Pros: union
Cons: limited weekly hours
learned how to take charge of tasks that needed to be done, and that the customer always comes first. The smallest detail goes a long way.
fun job at safeway
cashier (Former Employee), Thompson, MBMay 3, 2015
At safeway i worked as a cashier. I learnt something as i learnt from Giant Tiger. There were all my friends working so it was fun over there. We all helped each other in bagging stuff and extra things to put away from there. There management is perfect. You can find things easily from the store.
Was a decent place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Delta, BCMay 1, 2015
Safeway was a good company to work for, for a little while. However the management at my site was extremely poor and I eventually quit because of it.
Fun and productive working environment
Sales Clerk (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 28, 2015
My time at Safeway has been a enjoyable working experience. A regular day at work was to straighten out and organize the department. Once that is done, serving customers is a daily part of the routine.
everyone is happy
Baker (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 28, 2015
It is a fun place to work just not enough hours given to part time workers. I've learnt many things at Safeway as i started when i just finished school. The other employees are very friendly and easy to get along with.
its very productive and nice place to work
Meat Wrapper (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABApril 28, 2015
My Co-workers and managers are always there to guide and teach me about my work.
they always ask if I'm confused about something that i don't know at my work then right away they will help you so you can do your job properly.
Not the greatest workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 27, 2015
Pros: not really any
Cons: long periods of time standing, no incentives on groceries
Hard on your body, I learned their technology quickly and easily and how to deal with conflict or difficult situations with customers.
Management isn't very understanding.
My coworkers like to gossip but are overall nice.
The hardest part of the job is the standing, its hard to stand for such long periods of time.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be when us coworkers have a break and can minimally socialize, but when you get the more social customers you are able to have a good conversation and keep them happy as well.
people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaApril 27, 2015
Pros: camaraderie
Cons: really can't think of any.
I had some of the best co-workers ever. I learned how to be the best at what I set my mind to. I am a people person and love working with the public. Management could of been more hands on but they do the best that they could. Cleaning up after someone else all the time is what I considered the hardest part of my job. Best part was the friends that I made.

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more