Safeway Employee Reviews in Canada

coffee fun
Barista (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 25, 2016
Great customers
learned a lot about coffee
great upper management
flexible hours
co-worker were ok not the greatest
the most enjoyable part was meeting nice people
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay
fun place
Cashier & Costumer Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 23, 2016
Pretty good company, people were nice to me and they were happy to teach me. I have learned a lot from them and made some friends who worked there.
learning a lot
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Delta, BCApril 22, 2016
very hectic but that was fine. management was good. time passes very quickly. there is no fun there . management is nice. i have learnt how creat relationship with oeople
Pros
time passes fasst
Cons
very stress full
Great training environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCApril 20, 2016
Great management training within the company!
I have always loved this company however in recent years my view has begin to shift. However after 3 years at the same location with no hint at upward movement or even a location transfer my love for the company has begun to strain.
Pros
Compensation, training
Cons
Working hours, little room for advancement
Loved been busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 17, 2016
Wasn't too happy about the fact that you will get call almost all days to cover shift for others.
The staff is very professional
Pros
Puntual
Ping pong politics
produce clerk (Current Employee) –  Ladner, BCApril 11, 2016
This company gets sold on average every 5 years so the management is continually trying to shine their penny and lean the books.
High pressure on staff with no replacement for ill workers and always trying to impress by running too lean.
Makes for a vicious circle...
Pros
Employees can bed great to work with. Customers were awesome.
Cons
Poor management skills, high production pressure. Standing all day.
n/a
Front-end Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 9, 2016
Not a very good place to work. Was a great learning experience. Horrible working environment. A very toxic work environment.
One bully infested a culture of rudeness.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCApril 8, 2016
Fortunately, the culture of rudeness turned out to be just an affiliation of my bullying relatives. Still, she made the workplace a havoc by taking too long to admit to the manager what she had been doing which lead to the manager not being too serious about preventing the bullying by her or an unusual customer who grasps cashiers' hands without letting go that one must struggle to wrench her hand away. Hence, he was frowned upon, but later settled down which was good to have since we are all working together for the benefit of the work team and business. Aside from this, Safeway can be a good place to start building skills: tactical e.g.register or stocking; multitasking; customer/people skills.
Pros
Benefits available
Cons
Need to check your schedule every few hours as it changes and you do not want to lose your job.
Safeway
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 7, 2016
Cashier jobs are very stressful, working with the public is not for me. Staff is very confrontational. but good for young students to work if its a summer job and not a serious.
Fun work place with lots of interactions
Deli (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABApril 4, 2016
The job was fun with lots of costumer interactions. The co-workers came from different family types with lots of story's to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting to find out what new meats were coming out.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
too little hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Provided customers the best shopping experience. One of the best teams in the industry to enhance one's skill set and advance career as it's the great place to be.
Pros
Cons
Less work hours as part time
Can be challenging working with the public.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 1, 2016
Flexible hours that worked around family life. Easy going customers for the most part, but learned a lot about customer service while there for the past 18 years. Fun atmosphere at times. hard to stand in one place at times, and the items can get heavy, (case lot sales).
Management was terrible
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stony Plain, ABMarch 30, 2016
I felt that the management took a lot more breaks then was allowed. They went outside to smoke a lot on every break they took. It seemed like they took about 5 breaks per shift. Completely unfair and stuck up management.
Pros
Getting paid was pretty much the only good thing about working there.
Cons
Poor management, some very disrespectful customers, stuck up managers
nice people to work with
deli (Former Employee) –  fort st johnMarch 30, 2016
was a great job great people the job itself just wasn't for me i enjoyed talking with the people and the staff i worked with
Productive, Fast Paced Environment
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMarch 22, 2016
Great place to work, people are friendly. Learning is never ending, as we're expected to learn qujckly and be self sufficient.
Hardest part of the job is the after hours work schedule.
Most enjoyable is interacting with the public on a continual basis! :)
Pros
Variety of duties to keep you on your toes
Cons
Early mornings and After 5pm shifts
Team-like workplace, working with many different people with different skill sets. Theres much to be learned as a Safeway Deli Clerk.
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be, you punch in and you're already dressed in the Deli Clerk attire. You say hello to your fellow workers, wash your hands and put on your plastic gloves. Right away you serve any customers that are tending to your service and fulfill any tasks that need to be completed within your shift. Its a long, busy but productive day filled with constant work; serving, cooking, cleaning, and keeping record of everything.

I learned many things at Safeway, how to manage a workplace, to be sanitary in a workplace and to really master the art of customer service. You learn how to work with other people, younger and older, and I was actually the youngest person working in the entire Safeway. I learnt how to record all of the prices, price tags, food, and sales counts and how to prepare different types of food. Service, sanitation, and team work are the 3 main subjects you deal with as a Safeway Deli clerk. Most of my co-workers were very kind, some were grumpy and they had their ups and downs like anyone else but at the end of the day you are there to work together as a team and learn to deal with each other and act like grown up adults.

Without a doubt, the most difficult part of my job was memorizing hundreds of different codes for the food especially the salamis, and the salads. Also, having to wash and use, and re-wash materials got extremely repetitive and tiring but it was part of my job so I did it like anyone else. Ultimately, the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the smiles on the faces of customers and
  more... the fact that they went home with what they wanted and carried a sense of satisfaction with them.  less
Pros
very kind people and getting to work with customers.
Cons
exhausting work and little training.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMarch 15, 2016
I enjoyed working at Safeway. I got along with my co workers. The management was good. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
Challenging and rewarding
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 14, 2016
Rewarding and fulfilling place to work. I have enjoyed the people I have worked with. We have saw many changes as a company and have enjoyed learning new skills.
Pros
challenging
Cons
Shift work
Was not what I was looking for.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMarch 13, 2016
I met a few good people. I learned a lot about myself and about retail. It is time to experience something new now.

I am aiming to take what I learned from my time at Safeway to better myself.
Fun workplace
Starbucks Coffee Barista (Current Employee) –  200 Stewart Green SW, Calgary, AlbertaMarch 6, 2016
I enjoy working at Safeway Starbucks as a barista. I try to stay positive and listen to the customers first and suggest healthy menus.
Pros
Flexible schedule