Safeway Employee Reviews

The employeese are great to work with
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 January 2017
I have learned to do inventory checks, computer accuracy projections, and stock control.Although management does not care as to the work load or how employees are doing with their respective duties.
Pros
people i work with are great
Cons
management has no link to employees needs
good place to work
Bakery Helper (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 January 2017
nice and friendly place to work, always busy, If you want to learn lot of room for that. sometimes difficult to go with the senior staff who dont want to change.
Pros
flexbile timing
Cons
geting up early in the morning
N/a
Warehouse Picker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
It was great work environment. I enjoy it while I was there. The hours were great. Work life and home life was okay. Safeway is now Sobeys. Sobeys has a different head office.
Very Accomodating
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 January 2017
Worked here while going to school at Kwantlen. There was a lot of respect towards shifts working with my school schedules.Managers were nice and co-workers were pleasant. Safeway wasn't a bad place to work.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, MB13 January 2017
A typical day at work would be getting there 15 minutes early to change into my uniform and then going to clock in. I would ask where they would need me right away and then continue to do what they asked. After that i would spend my shift in a till helping customers. At the end of the day i would sign out and say goodbye to my co-workers while proceeding to get unchanged and go home.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
long time standing in one place
An okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
The job its self is very easy, I wish that it was easer to move up in the work place but its all about seniority which means that there is very little possibility of raises, and better hours unless your willing to commit to working there your entire life
Lots of deparment transfers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB12 January 2017
The company put me in any department that was short staffed to try to save money. Every day I was learning a new department
Fast paced and makes time fly
Night Stock /Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2017
Working with friendly customers always a bonus
Always keep you productive so time goes by fast
Management can be very hard on staff
Pros
Discount on grocery items, $ .25 raise every March
Cons
Hard to move up in store
to many people protected by union.
Grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK11 January 2017
fun environment, but lots of lazy people who are protected by union. most work is done by a small group of people while others are slow to move. Could have been fixed with better managment
Pros
union based raises
Cons
lazy staff
Moderately nice place to work
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK9 January 2017
We had a great team at work, So it was always been fun working at Safeway. Flexible Hours & Great family time made my job easier & happy family.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Some times irritating
Productive job and great learning experience
Safeway Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC5 January 2017
Safeway is a wonderful job for a first job.
I learned better people skills and communication skills and how to deal with upset customers.
I worked with friendly and helpful coworkers and they made it easier to do my job right while also helping with anything I needed.
only good if you know someone there
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 January 2017
management only takes care of management.. if an employee comes with something serious they need to address they brush it off especially if its about there manager. they refuse to see bad in people management staff..
i wont even shop at safeway now.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 January 2017
Horrible. worked 10hrs a week for $11 an hour I could afford to work there spent more money on gas to get there than I was making.
staff were cliquey, the store manager care more about clash of clans more than anything
Great workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
Good company to work for,great staff, good benefits, good pay.Good holidays fair rotation . I strive to work in a postive environment and give the best customer service to each individual.
It was an amazing job, I met a lot of fun people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC4 January 2017
It was your typical deli job
I learnt how to further my customer service skills
The management was friendly
The hardest part of the job would be rush hour
Overall disappointed in the lack of management
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I was not at all impressed with the Oliver square location. I was a part-time staff member and was only getting 30 hours, if that per week. I showed up every day and put everything I had into my work week, and was still made to feel as if I was just a cog that was unimportant. before finding a second job to meet the needs of my small family I gave two weeks notice and moved between the two jobs , when I missed the very last shift dew to the other job that was providing more hours and the same money with out the union fees , I didn't make it in, so I was put on a do not hier list.
So for all the effort that I put into the company and all the hard work that I did I feel that it was all for not.
Management was not well equipped to deal with it's team members and everything that became broken stayed that way for months at a time. Not one of the best locations to work for in my opinion.
Grocery store clerk
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
Grocery store clerk who assisted with scanning bagging and carting of items managment could have been more helpful and many of the costumers were unneededly rude
its a productive and nice place to work
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Safeway is a very nice invirment to work for the people that work there are very nice and resptful to all of the workers that work there and I think that is the main thing that you have to look out for when working at a job placement.
Pros
you are meeting people all of the time so thats nice
Cons
very long hours
fun and great coworkeres
assist in loading and unloading trucks (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 December 2016
Picking and stacking products on pallets, preparing pallets for shipment, constant lifting and carrying of product. Prior power jack experience is an asset but not a requirement. Extensive heavy lifting is required.
fun work place
Fuel Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 December 2016
I really enjoyed the people I worked with. They made each day easy going and fun. The customer service that Safeway provides is phenomenal. I always had regular customers that you eventually got to know personally.
Pros
great staff
Cons
wages