Safeway Employee Reviews

Productive, enjoyable job with fun employees
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC28 April 2017
This job is a straightforward job with many opportunities being with the union. The employees are kind and friendly. However, management can be frisky at times.
Productive and fun but minimal hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgary26 April 2017
the job was great except for minimal hours. The store was going through the take over from sobeys and thus impacted employees hours after price drops.
good place to work in
Cashier and Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2017
Safeway is good place to work with multi-culture people and learn from them , the management always support us , in Safeway i learned how to work and deal with different customers and make sure them always been satisfied
Typical day at work
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC24 April 2017
There was no typical routine, schedule, or order in which things had to be done. It all depended on what had to be done first, you had to prioritize things. Duties included changing garbages and bottle returns, keeping flyers stocked, bringing the baskets to the front of the store, bringing buggies in from the parking lot, keeping the washrooms clean, assisting customers, doing price checks, product replacements, bagging groceries, and perishable returns for cashiers. There are also many other duties that may be required of you. It is a physically demanding job.
Pros
Good for students
Cons
Low paying, no benefits from union if there short term, management is hit or miss
Enjoying the job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB24 April 2017
I really liked working at Safeway and i meet a lot of people while i was their. The store was nice and clean every day and the customers where nice as well. i enjoy talking to them about sports.
Decent
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 April 2017
Most customers were fairly nice, with the exception of a few. Long hours and worked more than my intended availability because of other coworkers quitting or getting fired. Managers didn't seem to know much.
Pros
Not that busy at my location
Cons
Long hours, management was lacking
Cruel and rigid even no good payment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 April 2017
It might help to improve your English but there was no appropriate management on the workload for cashiers, the time you have to standup would cause health problem in long-run. Your hands would also be in touch with red light (maybe laser) during scanning the barcodes throughout the working hours.
The wage would not even cover your food for a month.
Safe and busy workplace with cooperative employees
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Mission, BC21 April 2017
I learned to work alone and in a group. I also learned customer service and to be patient with people. Safeway was a great learning experience because it taught me to be resourceful and adaptable.
Very Fun workplace, but heavy workload
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC21 April 2017
As a deli clerk there is a lot of responsibilities you have, and it's not an easy job. It's quite demanding in the sense of you feel the need that you need to be there a lot, for long periods of time. On the plus side, the management is great, friendly staff, amazing work environment in genera.l
Pros
Great work environment, Free Food, Great Staff
Cons
Heavy workload, Demanding
alright if you can wait it out
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2017
good wages if you have been there awile, excellent training programs and free staff lunches as rewards for performing excellent customer service. good union !
Pros
fleiable schedule
Cons
open late
Productive job, Deal with customers, Stocking
Customer Service, Stocker and Truck Unloader (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC19 April 2017
It is nice to work in Safeway. but overall the management is not so good. Over hiring cause fewer hours to employees. Enjoyable thing is that everyone is friendly.
volunteer and training
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC18 April 2017
I had lots of fun with this job. I made some friends. i put back things on the shelf or in the back. i helped the customers with their groceries. I loved the hours
Pros
free cookies and coffee
Too Clicky
Calgary - Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 April 2017
The store I worked in was operated on a favourtism basis. If you excelled it did not matter unless you were one of the store managers favourites. They do not hire for full time
Pros
Customers
Cons
Sometimes no breaks
Productive place with a professional atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 April 2017
My experience as a cashier at Safeway was always a learning experience. Everyday working for the company was never dull there's something new you can pickup just by working there. The employee's are always so kind and nice towards each other, almost like a family relationship. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the customers with their items at the till. They always threat me with respect and kindness.
Run away, far away if you are new.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  BC15 April 2017
You only get a 5 cent raise every 500 hours you work, no benefits at all for the normal worker. I wasn't allowed to leave my shift early by 5 minutes to catch a bus that comes once every hour. They straight up told me that 5 minutes of their time was more important than 1.5 ~ 3 hours of my time. Hours always getting cut, I started with 30 now I have 20, because they would rather hire a new person and give them and I 20 hours than give me 40 hours. The customer is always right to them, even if they were clearly yelling at you about a mistake they did, you get in trouble for it. One example is, someone wanted a replacement because the product was bad, so I gave them a replacement for free. I got in trouble because we could have sold that product.
Pros
None that I know of
Productive and fun workplace, weak wages.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON14 April 2017
Good job good work. Low pay not worth the effort/demand put into the work. It would be better if they paid higher and made their employees who work hard full time.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Low wage, no advancement
Not a bad place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB13 April 2017
I learned how to work in a fast pace environment, How to handle customers and cash.
Hardest part about the job is the long hours standing in the same spot And learning the SKU's
I enjoyed working with the people i did. Friendly staff
Not bad place to work
Pharmacy Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK13 April 2017
Pro: You can learn and grow through working. If you are willing, you can get really good things out of it.
Con: Sometimes, schedule mayn't related with the life as well as you would like to be.
Pros
free desserts
Cons
schedule
Good Community
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON13 April 2017
On a typical day at work I would enter the produce department and assess my responsibilities for the day. If I was the senior staff I would delegate tasks to other employees, if a staff member senior to me was working I would deffer to them. The work environment was pleasant with a close group of employees working together to accomplish a joint task. The job would get busy at times but when we worked together it was always manageable. The hardest part of the job was days that we were understaffed. Once you are the only person working in the department it becomes very demanding.
Pros
Strong Community Workplace Culture
Cons
inconsistent hours
Always busy
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2017
Always busy, always had cleaning to do, always had something to do, managers were good, always kept you on track, and always had a task for you to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Safeway. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval