Safeway

Safeway Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive Fun workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), calgary abJanuary 23, 2015
I truely liked this job as it was a very fun fast paced environment. I got to manage my employees, be in charge of ordering products, scheduling, having to deal with customers, be role a model, provide excellent customer service.
Enjoyable experience
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Fort Saskatchewan, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, reasonable salary
I enjoyed working for SAFEWAY as a deli clerk and wouldn't have resigned if hadn't felt like exploring careers to get more experience.
Great place to work.
Sales Clerk/ File maintenance (Current Employee), Spruce Grove, ABJanuary 21, 2015
I really enjoy working in a retail establishment and Safeway is a great place to work. The management is exceptional,coworkers show positive attitude when at work. I am pleased with the overall atmosphere as an employee and as a full time shopper at Safeway.
Great experience
Cashier/File Maintence (Former Employee), Calgary AbJanuary 11, 2015
Removing all old sale tags. Great group of people to work with. Ensuring the proper pricing for the products. Working overnights was a challenge at first but got used to if pretty quick.
fun and productive work place with great people.
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: free christmas dinners and the walk and run.
Cons: 4-8 hours
A typical day at work was serving as a Courtesy Clerk, I've had done allot of learning. Was to serve Costumers needs, Carry outs, Cleaning Shop, Returns, cleaning and putting away Buggies and Baskets, Helping other employees with there needs, taking and cleaning out Garbage through the whole shop, sweeping and picking up wet and dry spills with a mop or broom, shoveling Snow indoor entrances, sidewalks and ramps outside, and dealing with the needs from the boss, cleaning bathrooms. And the co-worker's was helpful with my questions and was there for me when I need them and easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was seeing and helping emergencies with costumers or employees, and dealing being outside with the - weather with high windshield, the most enjoyable was meeting new people with employees and customers, getting myself involved with the prostate Cancer, grabbing sponsors for the walk and run and running for prostate cancer, spending time with the employees in the lunchroom or outside of job. :)
safeway tought me alot about being a real good cashier, i hope ill be an asset to your company,
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Quesnel, BCJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: we had a 10%discount on store brands
Cons: the raises
i loved going to work, i get along with most everyone, the only hardest part of my job was standing all day,the most enjoyable part was seeing the same customers coming through my till, and we would carry on our conversation where we had left off from the last visit.i learned alot knowing all the codes for the friut and vegetables was a big one, knowing them, makes the job so much easier,
good learning experience
Customer service supervisor (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaDecember 26, 2014
working at safeway, it taught me multiple skills that I didn't already know, its a great first time job to have
Great place to work!
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 18, 2014
Pros: satisfaction helping others
Enjoyed my time working with safeway. The staff were great to get along with; we worked as a team to get jobs done.
As management, I learned alot of organizational and leadership skills.
Fun, fast paced work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCDecember 17, 2014
Pros: medical and dental benefits
Cons: late night closing shifts
I learned a lot about food preparation while working in the Deli. I met a lot of nice customers, I had customers who only wanted myself to serve them
fast paced and fun to work there
Cashier (Former Employee), edmontonDecember 15, 2014
Pros: potluck programs and incentives for charity donations and breaks every two hours
Cons: standing in one place for long periods of time
fast paced cashier job with people I enjoyed working with and the managemant was helpful and friendly.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2014
Pros: lunches benefits
Cons: working weekends
Fun place to work, Learned how to work the til and cash out, My co-workers were always helpful and very easy going to work with. The hardest part about working this job was dealing with rude customers that were inpatient. The best part about this job would be seeing happy smiling people come in and make my day the best.having lunch in the lunch room was always a fun moment everyone made everyone feel welcome.
it wa seriouse
Deli Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 11, 2014
Safeway deli was very educational. the hardest part was trying to do your job properly but also doing it fast, because we get a lot of customers I had to learn fast on what I should do when left on my own and when with a or coworker. I loved working there, it kept my mind always working hahaha.
Fun and Busy place to work
Front End Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 6, 2014
Cons: not enough hours available
Working as a cashier for Safeway is an excellent position. I have been able to hone my customer service skills, working on the front lines. As we have just updated our register systems, it has given everyone the opportunity to learn new things and to more efficiently assist customers. Management and Co workers are pleasant and friendly. The hardest part of being a cashier is the physicality of the position. You are constantly lifting and moving groceries, and standing for long periods can become difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing returning customers and developing a relationship with them. After a while, you get customers who look for you at the checkstand and are willing to wait for you. Working as a front end cashier is a great way to serve people, and you never have the same day twice.
overall.,..fun place to work...professionalism lacking in management/employee relations...co-workers generally easy to work with....
Meat Department Clerk/Seafood Clerk (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 29, 2014
Pros: overall, good working environment, free lunches, cake on staff birthdays, and holiday meals.
Cons: ...sometimes egos overruled professionalism...
....start the day with temp. checks...bb {best before} date checks...wrap and fill fresh meat counter...fill full service counter...various other duties as required by dept. manager...
....I learned a great deal about different cuts of beef, & pork...a great deal of seafood product knowledge....how to cultivate a superior work ethic...world class customer service...working as a team {most of the time}...
....management {at dept. level} usually helpful...obviously depends on personality variations...easy to work with {not for, with}...upper management too far removed from day-to-day dept. duties...did not liase too well with staff...co-workers were great...all depts....hardest part of the job; dealing with rude, unruly customers...
A Usual Day at Work
Deli sales clerk (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 24, 2014
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: not enough hours
Every shift I work is relatively normal with fluctuations of either it being busy or a slow day. Every day though is quite enjoyable whether it's helping customers or bringing food out from cooking it in the back, or even preparing food for the customer. I learn something new nearly every shift I work, and I personally love stocking the food and any supplies need like crates in the back. Moving around is my absolute favourite. My coworkers are always great when it comes to either just asking for help or a question about how to do something, to joking around with and cleaning up when we have a little bit of time. The only difficult part about the job is the very little hours a week (between 9-13 a week).
A good job to teach you how to work with a team at a efficient pace
cashier/checker (Current Employee), Surrey, British ColumbiaNovember 24, 2014
Pros: inviting work environment
Cons: not enough hours
-Scanning customers groceries along with helping customers with their customer service needs
-how to work as team and please customers even when they are being rather difficult
-they are knowledgeable and extremely professional
-being limited to the same routines over and over; becoming tedious
-the coworkers are extremely friendly and helpful
No Hours and Horrible Management
Cake Decorator (Former Employee), Prince Rupert, BCNovember 23, 2014
Cons: bad management, horrible hours, unclean, and rude co workers
*THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL SAFEWAYS*
I worked here for a period of 3 and a half months in the bakery doing cake decorating and made a total of 150.00 dollars. I was told that the position would be part time at the time I was hired and I was completely ok with that, but was not impressed when I was only getting 16 or less hours per week and was being expected to have skills like someone on Cake boss. I worked 2 shifts in the beginning of February and then didn't get any shifts I got a call after about 2 weeks of not working and was told I was going to be trained as a cashier, I went in a week later to talk too the manager as I was instructed too by my bakery manager and was told I had been let go 2 weeks before id gotten the call about the cashier position. Not impressed about being lied too at all
fun workplace
General Clerk (Former Employee), Brooks, ABNovember 23, 2014
I was enjoy working at there because I been see a lot of people came and shopping at the store. Especially when I heard and see their smiles or thanks words from them.
It was my second job in Calgary.
CASHIER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 19, 2014
I made a lot of friends working at Safeway and also had so many good and bad experiences as well. My customer service skills improved a lot while working at Safeway. Safeway was a good company to work with and I was actually getting paid more there than my current job but it was not my dream job.
Best Place I ever worked
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee), Prince Albert, SKNovember 17, 2014
Pros: free sandwiches ansd cookies
Cons: hours not enough
No benefits because no full-time but people were awesome very busy not a lot of down time, The Best Bakery in town Management was amazing :)

1 2 3 4 5

About Safeway

Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY), a Fortune 500 company, is North America's second largest supermarket chain after Kroger Co., with, as – Read more