Position to be filled
Closing date: March 15, 2013
TITLE Canadian Program Officer
STATUS Full time (5 days/week)
LOCATION National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau)
STARTING DATE April 1st, 2013
TO APPLY E-mail your CV with an introductory letter
OUR WEB SITE www.sopar.ca
SOPAR is a Canadian International Development NGO located in the National Capital Region. Its mandate is to alleviate poverty in the rural areas of India through a community based approach. SOPAR works in close collaboration with its partners: in India, with Bala Vikasa (www.balavikasa.org); in USA, with SOPAR-Bala Vikasa. The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) is an important source of funding for SOPAR. With a budget of over one and half million dollars a year, the main objective of SOPAR in Canada is to sensitize Canadian to international cooperation and to finance the development activities of its Indian partner, Bala Vikasa. Bala Vikasa is internationally recognized as a centre of excellence in community development.
The Canadian Program Officer is a member of a small team of highly versatile, professional and committed people. Under the authority of the Director, the Canadian Program Officer is responsible for the development and implementation of the communication strategy as per the strategic plan approved by the Board. This strategy aims to promote donors loyalty, including the development of a close relationship with the donors as well as of tools to facilitate that relationship. Furthermore, the Canadian Program Officer is responsible for the management of all the Canadian programs. He or she assists the director in her public relations activities. He or she works in close collaboration with the other members of the team and with the members of the Board.
Specifically, the Canadian Program Officer is:
- Responsible for the relationship with all individual donors and the promotion of their loyalty to the organisation;
- Responsible for setting up fundraising campaigns using mail, social media or any other means of communication: special events, etc.
- Responsible for the Canadian programs: “Youth changing the world!”, “internship in India for university students”, “Sustainable tourism”, “Walk for water”, “Planned giving”, etc.
- Responsible for the maintenance and updating of the Canadian programs databases;
- Responsible for the correspondence with the donors related to the Canadian programs;
- Responsible for the communication tools of the organisation, their updating and the development of new tools to help reach target audiences: publications, visual documents, use of social media, press conferences, etc.
- Responsible for updating of the organisation’s website and its approach to social media;
- Assisting the director in writing reports for the Board, institutional donors, CIDA as well as others related to the Canadian programs;
- Assisting the director in any other activities as per the needs of the organisation.
- University degree in disciplines relevant to the position (e.g. management, administration, international development, International Relations, Social sciences, etc.).
- At least, 3 years of relevant experience;
- Know-how and experience in working with institutional and individual donors;
- Proficiency in French and English (reading, writing and oral communication);
- Strong commitment and positive motivation towards international solidarity;
- High capacity for team work and interpersonal skills and intelligence;
- Ability to work independently and under stress;
- Willingness to travel as needed;
- Proficiency with IT equipment and software (e.g. Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Understanding of development issues in India;
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Competitive salary and marginal benefits according to the policies of the organisation.