Position to be filled
Closing date: March 15, 2013
TITLE Administration Officer
STATUS Full time (5 days/week)
LOCATION National Capital Region (Ottawa/Gatineau)
STARTING DATE April 1st, 2013
TO APPLY Email your CV with an introductory letter
WEB SITE www.sopar.ca
SOPAR is a Canadian International Development NGO located in the National Capital Region. Its mandate is to alleviate poverty in the rural areas of India through a community based approach. SOPAR works in close collaboration with its partners: in India, with Bala Vikasa (www.balavikasa.org); in USA, with SOPAR-Bala Vikasa. The Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) is an important source of funding for SOPAR. With a budget of over one and half million dollars a year, the main objective of SOPAR in Canada is to sensitize Canadian to international cooperation and to finance the development activities of its Indian partner, Bala Vikasa. Bala Vikasa is internationally recognized as a centre of excellence in community development.
The Administration Officer is a member of a small team of highly versatile, professional and committed people. Under the authority of the Director, the Administration Officer is first responsible for the proper administration of the office, logistically and financially. Furthermore, with his (her) knowledge of development issues, he or she can assist and free the director from repetitive but important tasks related to the programmes in Canada as well as in India. The Administration Officer works in close collaboration with the other members of the team.
Specifically, the Administration Officer is:
- Responsible for bookkeeping, reconciliation of financial accounts, annual auditing, correspondence with ministries of finance, etc.
- Responsible for the day-to-day financial management: accounting systems, petty cash, correspondence with donors: receipts, etc. Bank deposits, bank transfers to India, etc.
- Responsible for all logistics and inventories of the office including computer and communication systems;
- Responsible for the maintenance and updating of the organisation data bases;
- Responsible for the maintenance and updating of the organisation management manual: human resource policy, travel policy, code of ethics, etc.,
- Responsible for writing financial and administrative reports for use by the director and the members of the Board;
- Responsible for the organisation of missions to India and from India;
- Responsible for the logistics related to Board meetings and the Annual General Meeting, including the collection and organisation of the documents needed for these meetings;
- Assisting the director in the writing of reports for institutional donors, CIDA, etc.
- Assisting the director in any other activities as per the needs of the organisation.
- Completion of a baccalaureate, of a diploma of college studies (DCS) or a vocational diploma (DEP) related to administration or any other responsibility of the position;
- 2 years of relevant experience (e.g. administration, finance, international development, Indian development issues, etc.);
- Proficiency in speaking and writing French and English;
- Ability to write and edit texts in French and English;
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office and « Simply Accounting »;
- Capacity in handling complex files and in performing a variety of tasks;
- Attention to details, diplomacy, discretion, organisational skills, leadership, team working;
- Willing to work during evenings and weekends.
-Competitive salary and marginal benefits according to the policies of the organisation.