This position is responsible for the efficient and accurate processing of accounts receivable, cheque deposits, leave management, cash / travel vouchers, and other related financial documentation and processing. The incumbent operates computerized accounting systems, and assists the Senior Finance Officer in reconciling various accounts as well as producing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and other reports as required. The incumbent responds to inquiries from vendors and contractors pertaining to outstanding accounts and related matters and maintains an efficient financial recording and filing system.
This position operates in a large multi-departmental environment and a high level of attention to detail in day-to-day functions is required to successfully manage the payroll system. This position requires significant interaction with various department supervisors in terms of ensuring proper approvals are obtained prior to processing payments. This interaction is guided by the procedures put in place by the Senior Finance Officer and the policies of the Songhees First Nation.
1. Prepares and mail monthly water and sewer service billings and annual tax notices in accordance with the rates set in the related by-law(s).
2. Receives and posts property tax payments to appropriate taxpayer accounts. NOTE: Majority of tax payments are received from June 1st to July 2nd of the year and this position’s focus will be primarily concerned with receiving property tax payments, permits, and license fees during this time. Delinquent accounts need to followed-up by re-sending notice or statement of arrears.
3. Prepares bank deposits and ensures funds are deposited on a timely and regular basis.
4. Reconciles taxpayer and other customer accounts as required and/or as directed by the Tax Administrator and Senior Finance Officer.
5. Provides up to date accounts receivable reports to the Senior Finance Officer for review and direction on subsequent action.
6. Follows up on unpaid accounts in accordance with standard collections procedures and/or on direction by supervisory staff.
7. Provides clerical and file maintenance support to the Tax Administrator.
8. Provides data processing services for receipts and billing for the Taxation Administrator.
9. Ensures customer filing systems are maintained in an accurate, up to date and orderly manner.
10. Performs other accounting related duties and/or works on special projects as assigned by the Senior Finance Officer.
- Formal accounting courses and completion of introductory levels of a recognized accounting program (2nd level CGA, CMA, CA or equivalent) is preferred, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous experience working with computerized accounting systems.
- Must be able to deal with a wide variety of people in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Good knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, terminology, and concepts, preferably in a First Nations setting.
- Ability to organize and prioritize a large number of tasks and complete them in an efficient manner.
- Sound working knowledge of office practices and procedures including maintenance of filing systems.
- Qualified individuals with First Nation ancestry will be given preference.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word and ability to manipulate data as well as perform basic merge functions.
- Typing speed of 40 wpm.
- Ability to manage paper and electronic filing systems.
- Working knowledge of Adagio General Ledger and Accounts Payable software as well as Paydirt Payroll software.
- Knowledge of fund accounting concepts an asset.
- A self-starter who is able to problem-solve and take initiative in ensuring the finance department operates in an efficient manner.
Deadline Date: May 10, 2013 4:00PM