This is a one-year contract position involving full-time work with Sheridan College's Screen Industries Research and Training Centre (SIRT) based at Pinewood Toronto Studios. Work will include leadership of consulting, applied research, and technical services in the areas of motion capture and virtual production for the movie, television and gaming industries. The successful candidate will be involved in establishing and managing a state of the art virtual production sound stage facility that integrates a variety of motion capture, camera tracking, and live action technologies.
We are looking for someone with at least 4 years experience as a Motion Capture Technical Director with knowledge and experience in Virtual Production including real-time on-set compositing as well as performance capture and virtual cinematography. The successful candidate will work with other technical leads (e.g., computer programming, live action cinematography and post-production) as part of an interdisciplinary team providing innovation support for the cinema, television and gaming industries.
SIRT is an applied research and technology access centre established by Sheridan College in 2010 at Pinewood Toronto Studios in the east end of Toronto. SIRT works with industry, academic, and government partners to facilitate collaborative research, innovation support and specialized training for industry professionals.
Type: Contract Position – One Year renewable
Salary: Based on experience
- Is highly organized, with excellent communication skills and the ability to identify and prioritize tasks to maximize efficiency
- Has expertise as a technical director of motion-capture sessions, full-body performance capture, facial animation and scanning solutions
- Is capable of clean up and retargeting of motion capture data
- Is capable of problem solving and developing new ways to improve performance capture/virtual production workflows and quality
- Responsible for writing tools when needed, comfortable developing tools for Windows & Linux
- Good knowledge of Python
- Has experience working in a VFX pipeline integrating live action and CG elements for movies and television
- Has some experience with EncodaCam and/or other real-time camera tracking solutions
- Has some experience teaching or developing curriculum in a post-secondary or industry environment
Minimum requirements are:
- At least 4 years of proven Motion Capture On-set and Post-Production experience using Vicon Blade from acquisition through to delivery using MotionBuilder and/or Maya/Houdini.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in animation or visual effects is desirable
- Hands on familiarity with all tools within MotionBuilder, including character animation as well as motion capture support tools
- Some experience in integrating motion capture and/or vfx-based virtual production technologies into a cinema and/or game production
- Strong independent contributor and team player in a multi-disciplinary environment