San Jacinto College Employee Reviews

Ability to work and do homework all at once
Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX18 September 2017
It was nice being able to help people, and do homework when it wasn't busy. It's a work-study job, after all. I met amazing coworkers, and absolutely loved working at the college, despite multiple students yelling at me for not ordering them a taxi because they didn't plan a ride home (although, the college doesn't even provide a taxi service).
Pros
Free lunch from meetings, freedom to do schoolwork, flexibility of class scheduling with work
Cons
Expected to know and do everything ranging from the release of confidential student information, to ordering and paying for irresponsible peoples' taxi service
Calm place, cubicle setting
District Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX11 September 2017
constantly answering phones speaking with students. Certain amount of calls that needed to be answered and transferred.
Location is good, nothing to complain
A very enjoyable entry-level position
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TX11 September 2017
1. A typical work usual consists of dealing with the regular questions and concerns of the students. Which can range from smooth sailing to hectic.

2. One of the things I have learned in the time I have spent working for the library is how manage multiple tasks at the same time.

3. The management of the library are always helpful and supportive with any issues that my arise.

4. Similar to the management, the workplace culture is stellar with no complaints.

5. The hardest part of the job would be having to deals with a long line of frustrated students and trying to remain clam and collected at the same time without getting overwhelmed.

6. The most enjoyable part of the job is when there is down time, you can work on any assignments you have should you be taking classes on the San Jac campus as well.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
You do not get lunch breaks unless you are working more than 5 hrs.
San Jacinto College
Welding Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX26 August 2017
The College is a great place to work and it feels good to know you are building a future for our nation's students. Sometimes I want to cry and at others times I jump for joy, as I see my students creating a vision and taking action to reach their goals. That is a reward in itself for working at the College. Watching people change their lives and watching people be people. Ha! That is when you feel like crying because some people are just too much being themselves. But, working at the college, it is our responsibility to give them direction and to get them to see that there is a better way by educating themselves and creating a vision so they can take an action to reach their goals. The College is very supportive in this area and encourage this attitude in their workers.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Tempary and no Insurance
Excellent Place to gain Advanced Education
Adjunct Professor in Continuing Education (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TX25 August 2017
I would encourage anyone desiring to further their education and skill set, or those who are simply lifelong learners to find their niche at San Jacinto College. There is something for everyone.
It's ok for a beginner job, not career.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX14 August 2017
It's a good job for a college student they are flexible with the hours, but minimum wage doesn't help much. The work is easy, help customers get the things they need for class and then check them out. Stock when its slow and fold and arrange the store. Make it look good. When the fall classes start its pretty busy and steady, summer is dead and boring.
Cons
pay
Fun and educational hands on learning experience
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX21 July 2017
San Jacinto College Children's Center offers great learning experiences, opportunities, and hands on experiences for those inspiring to be Early Childhood teachers or already are. In addition, San Jacinto College offers advancement opportunities, great benefits, and a fun and productive working environment.
A great place to work very friendly environment
Lead Tutor/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX19 July 2017
Is a great place where I learned how to interact with all types of culture. San Jacinto College is a great place to work because it help me expend my knowledge and help me learned new skills such as multitasking, customer service and office work.
Pros
great place
Productive worksplace
Financial Aid Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX21 June 2017
Working for SJC has been great, I do love my job. I have a great connection with the students and I feel I make a difference in their lives. There is not much room to grow unless you go back to school, but the hours do not allow much time.
People are great, but the pay is terrible!
Adjunct College Prep Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX19 June 2017
My co-workers are wonderful for the most part. No one micro-managing which is great. The problem is that adjuncts get paid near poverty level which is a real shame.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, no micro-managing
Cons
The pay is terrible!
A Great Place to Work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX10 June 2017
Management is very supportive of initiatives and ideas that directly impacts student success. Provides a great work/balance culture, and the employees and very supportive. Is a great collaborative environment to be in.
Benefits
Very relaxed atmosphere
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX27 May 2017
I expected for the typical day at San Jack to be fast and it was quite the opposite. The supervisors were great and weren't micromanaging my decisions which made it a greater place to work.
Challenging
Part Time Administrative Assistatnt (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX4 May 2017
Fun place, fast pace environment. very diverse culture of people working here.
Work culture is very professional. Student workers have greate opportunity
A average work environment
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX29 April 2017
A typical day as an orientation leader was to get materials prepared to provide for students and thereafter lead them around the college
campus grounds.
Pros
Your own schedule
Cons
Not much work days
Great people to work with
history professor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX23 April 2017
I really enjoy working here; the faculty used to be pretty supportive, but not so much recently; little chance of advancement without a PhD; also the South campus does not really have a workplace for adjuncts
Pros
Great people
Cons
No place to work privately
Great place to work with fabulous people
Coordinator of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX22 April 2017
While the environment is a great place to work, it's truly the people that make SJC a remarkable place to work. There is a true sense that you as an individual matter, and what you are doing serves a purpose.
Pros
the people
Great Job
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX3 April 2017
It was nice working there. I got all of the support that I needed from all team members, including department chair. I was immediately assigned a mentor to help me with so much that was needed. I only wish that I had been offered a full time position.
A great place to work.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX23 March 2017
I have thoroughly enjoyed working at San Jacinto. I worked two days a week teaching entry/remedial level mathematics classes. I enjoy my students and the faculty with which I work. I have learned that this is a level that challenges me to reach each student to help them to retain and become excited about mathematics. The hardest part of my job will be leaving.
My reason for leaving is to locate with family in the Aiken area.
Bad place to work.
Adjunct Medical Imaging Instructor (Former Employee) –  Central23 March 2017
No benefits. Adjunct instructors treated poorly. Students were informed more than the adjunct instructors. Co-workers were backstabbers. Would NEVER go back.
Pros
Hours and time off.
Cons
No benefits, no sick time, no vacation time, no say in anything
Awesone team!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX14 February 2017
I worked as an office administrator assistant, and was part of an amazing team. Well we were more than a team we were family.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at San Jacinto College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4