Ryerson University Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun work place to grow as a student and Academic
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 8, 2015
Productive and fun work place to grow as a student and Academic. The professors at Ryerson are wonderful. I felt part of a family.
Great place for work
Master Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 17, 2015
It provides a lot of chances for students

The lab is very big for students to do all kinds of work

The professor's courses are excellent.
Productive and fun workplace with many interesting workers
Computer Systems Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 9, 2015
Managing Department Computers
Management, Network Operations, Computer Systems, Database development on access.
Pros
flexible hours
Productive and creative work place
Computer Networking MEng Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2015
Creative studying environment, flexible studying schedule, and the professors are good at teaching. The new studying and learning centre is amazing
Pros
The new studying and learning centre is amazing
Cons
The north area of the University are not so much safe
Results Driven, Strong Work Ethics, Open Work Environment, Team Work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
A Typical Day as a Research Analyst:

- Consult with Boss about existing project
- Communicate with external and internal stakeholders
- Set goals and objectives with deadlines
- Accomplish tasks depending on the project of focus for that day
- Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new. It could be a new way of collecting data, methodology research, or discovering interesting results from a database in relation to a research report.
Pros
great experience, great people
Productive workplace where I could practice my skills.
Geo-Technology Laboratory Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2013
I monitored and assisted students in a working lab with geo-technology and GIS software. I learned teaching skills towards fellow students. I always worked alone. The management was not around during work hours but very helpful via email. The hardest part of the job was helping students performing calculations in GIS software such as ARC, I would have to learn these calculations along with them. The most enjoyable part was the ability to practice my abilities with the software in this extra time.
Professional and fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
• Assisted the Chef by preparing and setting up the daily orders for clients, putting up and maintaining stations for the day and helping around the kitchen
• The management was great and the coworkers were very friendly and professional.
• I Learned how to work in a fast pace environment and how to properly set up a station for catering.
• The hardest part of the job was polishing the wine glasses because they had to look perfect and it took a lot of time for that.
• The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the kitchen with the team.
Great staff who are very helpful in guiding new recruits who show an interest in the position.
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work started off with the preparation of documents needed to complete an analysis of an allocated area, followed by the journey there. Once there, I would walk along streets, plazas and within malls known for commercial activity with a list of stores that have specific statistics associated with them, and confirm that they match. In the event that they don't, I would augment them so that they would. I would compile a few days worth of data then return to the lab where I would update the existing database with the new data I had acquired through my field work. This would be my main responsibilities. I have learned that commercial activity exists in even the most remote of areas. Management was very helpful in fulfilling an queries I had at the time and they were all very approachable. The hardest part of the job was working under the sweltering heat for hours. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was discovering new parts of Ontario I had never visited before.
Pros
great pay, great staff, safe workplace
Cons
sweltering heat
Employee friendly atmosphere
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2015
Flexible and relaxed work environment. Team work was a huge part of the workplace atmosphere. Co-workers were cooperative and helpful. Weekly end of the week activities were always a thrill and refreshing.
Academic Projects are geared towards real world scenarios
Academic Projects (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 11, 2014
The teachers are great and the course if rewarding. I am finding that there is a lot of interest from employers in the programme. have yet to find that ideal opportunity. it is challenging to make a career change
Brilliant people who are passionate about what they do.
Textbook Co-author (Current Employee) –  55 Dundas St. W.May 7, 2015
Working on the administrative side of academia reveals a whole other world. Everyone is committed to providing a quality experience to students.
Friendly staff and high job security, but political environment.
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Unionized Job, a lot of pleasant work colleagues, fair assessment, great benefits, high paced environment, but projects require to go through multiple approval levels which further complicates and prolongs the process.
Pros
a lot of indusrty functions and guest speakers, a lot of free food
Cons
very political structure
not good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2014
Just did research there as temporary position
• Set-up and operated various scientific apparatus; set-up and operated spectrophotometer, fraction collectors, chromatography equipment, centrifuges, incubators, homogenizers, and various microscopes.
• Performed supervisory and training duties involving lower level employees; attended and participated in meetings, conferences, and training groups.
• Compiled processes and analyzed data; recorded research procedures and results; filed and maintained records; coded data for input for electronic data processing; input and retrieved data using computers.
• Assisted with research projects; performed independent research; plans, designs and implemented research projects.
Cons
no health care
Network Analyst
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  TorontoJuly 10, 2014
learnt Networking technologies
Had flexible work schedule
work from home was also an option
Pros
free lunches, flexible work schedule
Cons
no job security
Fun and got to work a variety of sports games.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 28, 2014
Enjoyed the position but hours were too far and few in between for me to make a decent income.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short hours, no advancement opportunities
Useful experience.
Electric Circuits Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
It is a volunteering position. I, as a student who did great in the course, taught other students in need the knowledge of the course after school one-to-one.
In order to provide more accurate and useful information, I reviewed the textbooks and in class slides and prepared some problems every time before I met the students. While tutoring, I tended to not only explain the solutions to them but also ask them similar questions afterwards to see whether they comprehended completely. The time and place of tutoring were discussed by both of my student and I.
The hardest part of the job was to find the best, clearest way to explain the problems because the students were not quite familiar with the topics of the course. However, it is also the most enjoyable part of the job. The process of thinking and expressing gave me a lot of challenge and fun. And it was even more pleasing when the grades of the students got better.
Pros
flexible schedule.
Cons
indeterminate time and place.
Very considerate of student schedule
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  toronto, onSeptember 12, 2014
I enjoy working here. The management is excellent and I have no complaints at all.
Pros
flexible hours, easy to learn, good manager
Productive and good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2015
I was working as a Teaching and Research Assistant at Ryerson University. It was a great experience for me. I got to keep my knowledge updated and gain a lot of experience in teaching, presenting, researching, etc.
good employer
Student Council Representative (Current Employee) –  Ryerson universitySeptember 13, 2012
Good employer. But Nunavut is far. They have one hour luch breaks and good compensation packages. Rest is the same. Pretty busy place. Work demands lots of responsibility working in the department of finance.
nice work environment
GA(graduate assistant) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 29, 2015
hold office 3 hours and help student to solve problem and understand well of lecture. do your own work if no student coimng to see you. fell free.

4.4