Ryerson University Employee Reviews

great place to work
Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 March 2016
-great people
-lots of new challenges
-great benefits (though takes 12 months for them to kick in)
-very little security though - many people are contract to contract
Professional and Inspiring environment with a very supportive supervisor
Research Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2016
 Grew to be a highly critical thinker with effective analytical skills through the experience of assisting a team of undergraduate and graduate engineering students to study and analyze power distribution methods from different angles, with a specific focus on battery technology
 Excellent written and verbal communications skills developed through regularly providing outstanding reports on the progress of the research project
 Received an offer from the research conductor to participate in their next project
Flexible work hours; friendly environment
Graduate Assistant - Economics Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
It was great working at Ryerson. My supervisor was very helpful throughout and I got to learn a lot.
Each semester I had to check term papers for the undergrad students (roughly around 120 term papers).
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no cons so far
Great Learning Place
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 July 2015
Intelligent Management
- Growth Company
- Entrepreneurial Culture
- Smart Talented software developers
- Intense, agile project driven results
- Seriously Technical Company
Pros
Every day is enjoyable
Cons
What I learned and the hardest part of the job
Research Assistance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
I learnt how to operate microscope and use in conjunction with photo software to capture images of mould and stack the picture into one. The hardest part of the job is flexion of the neck when viewing the microscope.
Productive and collegial environment
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  415 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON8 September 2014
A typical day within Ryerson University often provides content and creative duties to keep the job fun, and an exemplary work life balance.
At Ryerson I learned how to pitch to the media, organize corporate events and project management best practices.
My co-workers we're helpful, kind and very digitally savvy.
I wouldn't say there was a hardest part of my position and overall I enjoyed the variety of work.
Pros
Cons
Advancement is difficult
Learning opportunity with access to resources
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  10 Dundas st East14 December 2015
Fun pace to work with. Lot of new and interesting learning opportunities especially for research oriented people. Good place to network with professionals and develop business ideas.
Pros
Resources, work-life balance
Cons
Limited Growth
Creative environment
Research Accounts Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2016
Ryerson continues to grow, and it's a good place to work. However, working in a unionized workplace can be frustrating, there are good employees and some who are 'parked' and non productive. Managing in a unionized workplace is not east either. It's a creative environment, and you are not micro managed. A lot of talented people work for Ryerson.
Pros
Very open work environment
Cons
Unionized workplace means some employees get away with murder
Diverese community knowledge
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2016
 In my final year, I helped 1st and 2nd year students with their projects and tutoring.
 This increased my communication skills as I was interacting with individuals from diverse communities.
An intellectualling stimulating place to work
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2015
My eight years at Ryerson University were a wonderful time to try new things, meet a variety of people and expand my skills.
Pros
great location, good salary and benefits
Cons
steep corporate pyramid, difficult to move into other jobs
Fun working enviorment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2016
Got to learn what it takes to run a High end Athletic Facility, and learn the importance of customer satisfaction. Co-workers were students as-well and the environment made me feel at home.
Pros
flexible with school
Cons
Short hours
a great multi-cultural workplace
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2016
a great multi-cultural workplace. A typical workplace to learn up to date technology. Professors are very knowledgeable and friendly.
Programming Assistant
Assistant Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2016
I work with other programmers to develop apps and update websites. I worked full-time in summer and worked part-time throughout the year. I really enjoy debugging programs and fixing errors.
Good Student Experience
Student Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2016
Working in the design center is great exposure to real world clients and working with materials specifications. Projects vary and give students a good range of choice depending on the field of design they are looking to work in.
As an instructor in the socieal sciences, I had the richest experience working with students and faculty of all background.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2015
As a qualified landed immigrant to Canada, I had the unique opportunity of knowing the work culture, demands of work and the work environment in different settings. My qualification and international experience helped me a lot in getting along with people coming from different background, that enriched my own life.
Pros
Learning skills
Cons
Hard work
Hard to obtain full time permanent
Payments Representative (Former Employee) –  toronto6 November 2015
You will most likely be in contract for a long time and there's no telling when they decide to let you go. You still need to pay union dues even if you are contract and it mostly benefits the permanent employees
very good research experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2016
I learned a lot in a university research environment. The university can provide resource for research requirement. It is located in downtown Toronto and public transportation is very good.
Amazing people
Newspaper Co-Editor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2016
Worked on the Engineering newspaper while attending Ryerson. Loved the people there, hard working group. It's pretty great.
Troubleshooting data center, Maintaining Server PODs
Research / Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2015
Faced challenges to re-arrange the PODs for course. Improved the availability of PODs and improved network by replacing devices to latest models.
Pros
Productive work, Good management, Challenges
full of discoveries
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2016
I went into the lab as i scheduled for that week. i usually modified my experiments on MOFs as i read more articles. my curiosity also drove me into making my own modifications in the synthesis procedure. i learnt a lot and discovered a lot after the characterization of my samples.
Pros
unravel my own potential
Cons
working alone was boring

4.4