Ryerson University

Ryerson University Employee Reviews

Balancing work-life with school
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2013
Teaching Assistant - Supply Chain Process Architecture

Being a student, a teaching assistant position is a very honourable position that awards high academic achievement. A typical day as a teaching assistant would mean on-call work as the semester progressed. The job responsibilities for myself were mainly grading student assignments, creating rubrics, assisting students, and invigilating exams.

I have learnt a lot as a teaching assistant from the importance of protecting personal information to developing fair assessment tools. One of the most important lessons I have learned as a teaching assistant is to maintain constant communication with the supervising professor. As the semester progressed, I have learnt to appreciate the aforementioned more and more as the work begins to increase exponentially and deadlines become shorter.

The teaching assistant role is a self-management role, where the supervising professor will occasionally give you tasks with specified or mutually agreed deadlines.

The hardest part of the job would definitely be the fact that work would increase at the same time school work would increase. This meant increased burden of work during examination times.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that teaching assistants have a view of the teacher's side of the educational process. To top it off, it also paid really well.
Great staff who are very helpful in guiding new recruits who show an interest in the position.
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at work started off with the preparation of documents needed to complete an analysis of an allocated area, followed by the journey there. Once there, I would walk along streets, plazas and within malls known for commercial activity with a list of stores that have specific statistics associated with them, and confirm that they match. In the event that they don't, I would augment them so that they would. I would compile a few days worth of data then return to the lab where I would update the existing database with the new data I had acquired through my field work. This would be my main responsibilities. I have learned that commercial activity exists in even the most remote of areas. Management was very helpful in fulfilling an queries I had at the time and they were all very approachable. The hardest part of the job was working under the sweltering heat for hours. The most enjoyable aspect of the job was discovering new parts of Ontario I had never visited before.
Pros
great pay, great staff, safe workplace
Cons
sweltering heat
Enjoyable and positive work environment
Customer Service Representative & Photographer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 2, 2014
A normal day at work would start off with performing a test of all the computers and printers to make sure that there are no errors. After that, it's a simple matter of having students fill out a form with their information, handing it to me to enter into the computer system, taking their photo for their student ID cards and allowing it to print on site.

I've learned a lot about how to handle and manage situations that arise between the customer and employee, both negative and positive issues. In addition, I've learned how to maximize my time by performing other tasks when I'm currently not occupied with a customer or student.

My co-workers made all the difference at this job and made work not seem like work at all. All my co-workers were fun, exciting and positive.

The hardest part of my job was when my workstation developed problems and caused delays in my productivity. As a result, I couldn't process as many student as I normally could.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to assist and do my job effectively and efficiently.
Useful experience.
Electric Circuits Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 1, 2014
It is a volunteering position. I, as a student who did great in the course, taught other students in need the knowledge of the course after school one-to-one.
In order to provide more accurate and useful information, I reviewed the textbooks and in class slides and prepared some problems every time before I met the students. While tutoring, I tended to not only explain the solutions to them but also ask them similar questions afterwards to see whether they comprehended completely. The time and place of tutoring were discussed by both of my student and I.
The hardest part of the job was to find the best, clearest way to explain the problems because the students were not quite familiar with the topics of the course. However, it is also the most enjoyable part of the job. The process of thinking and expressing gave me a lot of challenge and fun. And it was even more pleasing when the grades of the students got better.
Pros
flexible schedule.
Cons
indeterminate time and place.
Busy and exciting workplace - lots of interaction co workers
account manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 8, 2014
mis managed
bureaucratic atmosphere of resentment - union involved
management not accountable to staff for security and
procedures
I loved meeting the different people that worked there - from all over the world
typical day is obtaining cash up to 1 million dollars per day and having a staff count it
I was responsible for correctly depositing it in bank - dangerous area even in the day time - no security escort to bank. Yonge and Dundas area. I supervised the account payable clerk who was very unhappy with management before I came there. Previous acct. manager had been tied up in safe - no security measures put in place.
I had to investigate missing money which made me work overtime - no help from management - no changes in security.
Pros
met many different people from all over the world
Cons
no exisitn security measures in place - robbery within took place -
not good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2014
Just did research there as temporary position
• Set-up and operated various scientific apparatus; set-up and operated spectrophotometer, fraction collectors, chromatography equipment, centrifuges, incubators, homogenizers, and various microscopes.
• Performed supervisory and training duties involving lower level employees; attended and participated in meetings, conferences, and training groups.
• Compiled processes and analyzed data; recorded research procedures and results; filed and maintained records; coded data for input for electronic data processing; input and retrieved data using computers.
• Assisted with research projects; performed independent research; plans, designs and implemented research projects.
Cons
no health care
Brilliant place to work
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ted Rogers School of ManagementDecember 11, 2014
A typical day varies immensely on what time of year it is and what department you work in. I learned that academia is a comfortable industry to pursue work and it becomes easier as you have experience to excel and find more opportunities. The management, again, varies widely but is overall great. Co-workers can be like co-workers at any job, they can be cooperative and helpful or they can be awful. It depends on your personality and how you handle other people. The hardest part of the job is getting into the permanent roles and offer room for growth if you are a recent graduate. The most enjoyable part is nearly everything about the job.
Pros
great work environment, and benefits
Cons
slow career advancement
very interesting job and amazing people to work with.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2013
- Collecting physiological signal data (EMG, EEG, and ECG signals) by using state-of-art biomedical equipment’s (Bio-Radio and CATSYS) and building algorithms for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases and other related algorithm-based analysis

- I learned how to put my course theory into practice in a variety of ways

- I have the ability to work in a fast paced environment and effectively meet deadlines and apply logical methods to solve difficult problems

- Great co-workers and very helpful when I struggle in something

- building algorithms

- Working on different projects
Productive workplace where I could practice my skills.
Geo-Technology Laboratory Monitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2013
I monitored and assisted students in a working lab with geo-technology and GIS software. I learned teaching skills towards fellow students. I always worked alone. The management was not around during work hours but very helpful via email. The hardest part of the job was helping students performing calculations in GIS software such as ARC, I would have to learn these calculations along with them. The most enjoyable part was the ability to practice my abilities with the software in this extra time.
Professional and fun workplace
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 11, 2013
• Assisted the Chef by preparing and setting up the daily orders for clients, putting up and maintaining stations for the day and helping around the kitchen
• The management was great and the coworkers were very friendly and professional.
• I Learned how to work in a fast pace environment and how to properly set up a station for catering.
• The hardest part of the job was polishing the wine glasses because they had to look perfect and it took a lot of time for that.
• The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the kitchen with the team.
Great learning experience
Liasion Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto OntarioJanuary 21, 2014
This was largely an independent position which required traveling across Ontario. I was able to gain a strong understanding of how Ontario Post-secondary institutions function, and help promote higher learning. My public speaking and inter-personal communication skills were put to the test in this position. As a result I was able to strengthen my verbal and written communicative skill set. Connecting with students and helping them shape their educational path was the most rewarding part of my role with Ryerson.
Results Driven, Strong Work Ethics, Open Work Environment, Team Work
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 16, 2015
A Typical Day as a Research Analyst:

- Consult with Boss about existing project
- Communicate with external and internal stakeholders
- Set goals and objectives with deadlines
- Accomplish tasks depending on the project of focus for that day
- Most enjoyable part of the job is learning something new. It could be a new way of collecting data, methodology research, or discovering interesting results from a database in relation to a research report.
Pros
great experience, great people
Excellent work environment
Library Data Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2014
The people that I worked with at Ryerson were extremely reliable, friendly, and passionate. I have learned valuable skills from them, both technical and transferable skills. I worked part-time on a work-study contract for Ryerson, and due to the nature of my work, I get to assigned my own work hours, as long as I get the job done with according to the agenda. The most enjoyable part of the job would be when I have finished a complicated task, knowing that I have overcome the challenges
Entrepreneurial learning and teaching
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 6, 2012
Assisted in transferring more than 100 hours of entrepreneurship knowledge to over 300 business students across 6 months.
• Provided valuable counseling services and one-on-one training.
• Refined students’ presentation skills, with a special emphasis on fielding questions and answers to promote agile and analytical thinking on-demand.
• Monitored students’ performance and provided progress reviews upon request.
Pros
do your own hours
Cons
large class size
Productive and collegial environment
Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  415 Yonge Street, Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2014
A typical day within Ryerson University often provides content and creative duties to keep the job fun, and an exemplary work life balance.
At Ryerson I learned how to pitch to the media, organize corporate events and project management best practices.
My co-workers we're helpful, kind and very digitally savvy.
I wouldn't say there was a hardest part of my position and overall I enjoyed the variety of work.
Pros
location
Cons
advancement is difficult
As an instructor in the socieal sciences, I had the richest experience working with students and faculty of all background.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 18, 2015
As a qualified landed immigrant to Canada, I had the unique opportunity of knowing the work culture, demands of work and the work environment in different settings. My qualification and international experience helped me a lot in getting along with people coming from different background, that enriched my own life.
Pros
Learning skills
Cons
Hard work
Productive and fun workplace
Catering Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2015
• Worked with Chef and Event Management Planner to maintain, record and regulate client portfolios
• Performed various assigned tasks and duties needed to support the Catering department
• Corresponded and connected effectively with Catering department as to client accounts on a timely basis
• Followed up and consulted guest needs on a constant basis, ensuring efficient productivity to maintain clientele relationships
Ryerson University
Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2014
I worked at Ryerson University in the Government, Communications and Community Engagement Department, as well as within the Digital Media Zone. My duties we’re comprised of: daily media monitoring, writing news briefing for Ryerson Today, social media account management, research, writing media advisories, media lists, as well as providing first drafts for business communication plans.
Pros
company culture
Productice and fun place to work with friendly staff
ITM Helpdesk Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 14, 2013
• Provide frontline support to BTM students such as installing essential software on their assigned laptop
• Provide support to BTM students over the phone as well as e-mail
• Resolve hardware and software issues, involving laptop repairs and troubleshooting
Pros
high interaction and chances to meet people
Cons
sometimes work would get slow
School Involvement
Ryerson Event Volunteer (REV) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2013
• Campus ambassadors, communicate and introduce potential new potential students to the school for up to 50 people per tour and 3 tours per day during March admission seasons
• Frosh events, communicate up with up to 100 new students in 2 weeks to introduce to them to school
• Helping with school events and accommodate any special and last minute on school’s request

4.4