Ryerson University Employee Reviews

Secretary of the English Union
Secretary of the English Union (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2017
Working with the Ryerson Student Union the English Department further the goals of the student. This is a great place to be involved with if a student is attempting to get involved with the English field.
Pros
interactions with various people involved with the school
Cons
sporadic hours, a lot of work
Interesting place to work and get to know more people
IT Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2017
A typical days of work is really interesting, since we get to meet lots of different people every time and have to face new problems all the time. In some cases, we are given instructions, on how to do. But in many cases, we have to improvise and solve the issue.
I really like working here.
Pros
Interesting place and people, good pay
AMazing
RU NOTED PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2017
Loved working here everyday, great bosses. Things are done one time and everyone has compassion for each other. Work culture is amazing and you learn new skills each day.
Pros
Community, Good employer
A great place to work.
Articulate Presenter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
I started teaching at Ryerson University, pretty much by accident in 1995. I've taught HTML, HTML5, Adobe Creative Suite, JavaScript and Structured Programming and Logic (nerd). Sadly, the Chang School closed that program in 2015 - but I've learned many things from my students, and vice-versa.
Night Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
I enjoyyed my time at this position. People are helpful and friendly.
Friendly management. Make your own schedule. opportunity of overtime if you want
Working at Ryerson
Frontline customer service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2017
Working at Ryerson is great. Working with other employees is a blast, everyday you are surrounded by ambitious individuals all chasing dreams. My time working at Ryerson felt more like being a part of a family. The managers are great, they are willing to help you out of any jam and are always there to converse with when you need them. The work space is great, the community of people that you run into make you feel respected and appreciated, work felt more like fun rather than an obligation. The hardest part of the job is managing your time, but after a good amount of experience I became pretty good at it. Over the course of my time there I learned so many skills that I will take to my next job with me. I learned how to manage my time, how to be a leader, how to work with others, how to problem solve and even how to deal with problematic situations and people. The most enjoyable part of my day is interacting with the clientele .
Pros
Flexibility, free food at times, ability to learn different positions and take on many roles.
Cons
long hours.
Excellent workplace environment
Toronto Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2017
Teaching Assistant job typically involved marking midterms and projects for approximately 110 students.

Hardest part of the job was trying to figure out what the student was trying to answer when they didn't follow the given structure.
Pros
Very easy job if you understand introductory finance
Cons
not enough hours
Flexible
Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 March 2017
Flexible, informative and fun! As a transcriptionist, I had the privilege to complete my duties anywhere I desired. I learned about the issues Aboriginal women face in Canada.
Goal Driven, Efficiency, Fun Environment, Culture Diversity, Responsibilities
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
A typical day at work would be serving food and beverage to clients, make sure everyone is having a great time and satisfied their needs.

I learned the you must be proactive, take responsibility for own actions, manage time well and more can be done faster and better in teams.

Management were pretty lenient, gave us our personal space to grow and learn by ourselves. But always there to make sure the job were done and tasks completed.

Great workplace culture, we were all friends, brothers and sisters mind-set at work. helped each other, care for each other .

During Pan Am Olympics, the volume of customers to be satisfied on a daily basis were insane. We manage to do it with planning, coordination, teamwork, critical thinking, managing and organization.

We always had a year-end party and those are the good time. Where everyone are having fun and a good time.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Growth Opportunity
Not a real paying job
Roster Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
This job was relatively straight forward. It wasn't even a real job, I simply helped other students manage rosters of existing intramural teams to try and keep skills even
Wonderful place to work
Assistant to the Officer of the Board of Governors (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 March 2017
The daily focus was preparing documentation for Board and Committee meetings.
I learned to communicate with CEOs of large corporation.
I enjoyed.
Dealing with professors, staff, and students was most enjoyable.
Pros
Refreshments at the meetings
Cons
Overtime
Productive and fun place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2017
I am currently working as teaching assistant at Ryerson university and I would like to say it was one of the best university of the Canada. The location is perfect in heart of downtown Toronto and environment of the university is very calm and friendly.
A kind work environment with caring people
Physics Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
Working at Ryerson the past few years have been a blessing. The community is great, the location is also great. You can be involved in a lot in Toronto and there is always something to do. The only thing you'll need to overcome is commuter costs which can be hefty, but it is at no fault of Ryerson
Pros
Excellent community, great work area, plenty of events
Cons
Commuting, dense population and traffic.
Instructor
Contract Professor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2017
This is a waste of my time. Not sure why you are making this a mandatory field. Very frustrating that you are forcing to make a review that I have no interest in making.
Serious but Fun Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2017
It was a great place to work. Well paid, flexible hours, thought provoking and interesting work, and it was relaxed yet serious work environment. It was a perfect job while also being in school full-time.
The loft is a great place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2017
During my employment with the loft, I gained valuable retail, customer service and sales experience.

I would highly recommend students and new graduates and home makers work for the loft.
Pros
Excellent work culture
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  284 Victoria St31 January 2017
Filing paper work, entering data, and making phone calls in an office environment. Definitely gained confidence throughout the job, colleagues were very nice as well as the pay. The only hard part about the job was the repetitiveness (filling out 'pinkies', and entering data).
Pros
Friendly colleagues, pay
Cons
Repetitiveness
Assisting profs in teaching class
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
Job is fun, students have interesting questions.
teaching 1 hour labs and helping them understand course concepts.
can usually only hold one position at a time during grad school
Productive place to work, always room for growth and to move up in the company, great lead hands, will hire within the company for a new position
Barista (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
As a barista, my typical day would include opening the cafe and getting everything organized for the morning, such as make coffee, have milk and cream ready, put chairs down, organize to-go sandwiches and pastries and throughout the day making sure everything is run smoothly but also maintaining a fast pace with excellent customer service. I've learned to understand and adapt to people's different personality either it be co-worker or a customer and realize to deal with each person and situation differently and to be able to read a situation without making any assumptions. Also to push myself when i may feel overwhelmed and learn how to reorganize myself and make sure i can still deliver great customer service while still working at a high volume pace. Management was good they use to work with staff and listen to the needs of their employers and customers. The co-workers as a whole work in a very tight unit basically like a family and even if there is co-workers that are difficult to work with you still find the best the solution to continue working without fault.The hardest part is when we are understaffed because someone is sick and it's a very busy day. The biggest reward is even though it may get very busy and you can be working six hours straight with no break the team work that we put in with very minimal communication and just knowing help makes it worth it and it doesn't just feel like just another job.
Pros
co-workers helping each other out as much as possible.
Cons
dealing with very difficult customers.
Great place to be student and staff.
Supported Learning Group Leader (Chemistry Tutor) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2017
So far, my experience as both a campus tour guide and chemistry group session leader has been great at Ryerson. Supervisors have always been kind and knowledgeable. Being a student at Ryerson is even better!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ryerson University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4