Ryerson University Employee Reviews in Canada

great place to work
Liaison Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 5, 2016
-great people
-lots of new challenges
-great benefits (though takes 12 months for them to kick in)
-very little security though - many people are contract to contract
Learning opportunity with access to resources
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  10 Dundas st EastDecember 14, 2015
Fun pace to work with. Lot of new and interesting learning opportunities especially for research oriented people. Good place to network with professionals and develop business ideas.
Pros
Resources, work-life balance
Cons
Limited Growth
Professional and Inspiring environment with a very supportive supervisor
Research Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
 Grew to be a highly critical thinker with effective analytical skills through the experience of assisting a team of undergraduate and graduate engineering students to study and analyze power distribution methods from different angles, with a specific focus on battery technology
 Excellent written and verbal communications skills developed through regularly providing outstanding reports on the progress of the research project
 Received an offer from the research conductor to participate in their next project
An intellectualling stimulating place to work
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 11, 2015
My eight years at Ryerson University were a wonderful time to try new things, meet a variety of people and expand my skills.
Pros
great location, good salary and benefits
Cons
steep corporate pyramid, difficult to move into other jobs
Creative environment
Research Accounts Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
Ryerson continues to grow, and it's a good place to work. However, working in a unionized workplace can be frustrating, there are good employees and some who are 'parked' and non productive. Managing in a unionized workplace is not east either. It's a creative environment, and you are not micro managed. A lot of talented people work for Ryerson.
Pros
Very open work environment
Cons
Unionized workplace means some employees get away with murder
Great Learning Place
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2015
Intelligent Management
- Growth Company
- Entrepreneurial Culture
- Smart Talented software developers
- Intense, agile project driven results
- Seriously Technical Company
Pros
Every day is enjoyable
Cons
Provides a wide variety of courses that may be selected to further your education.
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 11, 2016
Due to the course loads that I have had over the years at Ryerson, I have spent many hours studying, completing projects and understanding the concepts for the given course. Overall I can say that the hard work was necessary and worth it to further my interest as well as my view on engineering.
Flexible work hours; friendly environment
Graduate Assistant - Economics Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
It was great working at Ryerson. My supervisor was very helpful throughout and I got to learn a lot.
Each semester I had to check term papers for the undergrad students (roughly around 120 term papers).
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
no cons so far
lunch room
Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 7, 2016
Start with station prep, service, close station
Team work, individual work, cooking methods, new cuisines
Loved my co workers
Getting to interact with the customers and building a relationship with regulars.
Pros
free lunch, benefits
Cons
8 month term contract with no guarantee of renewal
Brilliant place to work
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ted Rogers School of ManagementDecember 11, 2014
A typical day varies immensely on what time of year it is and what department you work in. I learned that academia is a comfortable industry to pursue work and it becomes easier as you have experience to excel and find more opportunities. The management, again, varies widely but is overall great. Co-workers can be like co-workers at any job, they can be cooperative and helpful or they can be awful. It depends on your personality and how you handle other people. The hardest part of the job is getting into the permanent roles and offer room for growth if you are a recent graduate. The most enjoyable part is nearly everything about the job.
Pros
great work environment, and benefits
Cons
slow career advancement
What I learned and the hardest part of the job
Research Assistance (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
I learnt how to operate microscope and use in conjunction with photo software to capture images of mould and stack the picture into one. The hardest part of the job is flexion of the neck when viewing the microscope.
Hard to obtain full time permanent
Payments Representative (Former Employee) –  torontoNovember 6, 2015
You will most likely be in contract for a long time and there's no telling when they decide to let you go. You still need to pay union dues even if you are contract and it mostly benefits the permanent employees
Troubleshooting data center, Maintaining Server PODs
Research / Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Faced challenges to re-arrange the PODs for course. Improved the availability of PODs and improved network by replacing devices to latest models.
Pros
Productive work, Good management, Challenges
Fun working enviorment
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 12, 2016
Got to learn what it takes to run a High end Athletic Facility, and learn the importance of customer satisfaction. Co-workers were students as-well and the environment made me feel at home.
Pros
flexible with school
Cons
Short hours
Diverese community knowledge
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 22, 2016
 In my final year, I helped 1st and 2nd year students with their projects and tutoring.
 This increased my communication skills as I was interacting with individuals from diverse communities.
Good Student Experience
Student Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
Working in the design center is great exposure to real world clients and working with materials specifications. Projects vary and give students a good range of choice depending on the field of design they are looking to work in.
full of discoveries
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 17, 2016
I went into the lab as i scheduled for that week. i usually modified my experiments on MOFs as i read more articles. my curiosity also drove me into making my own modifications in the synthesis procedure. i learnt a lot and discovered a lot after the characterization of my samples.
Pros
unravel my own potential
Cons
working alone was boring
Programming Assistant
Assistant Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2016
I work with other programmers to develop apps and update websites. I worked full-time in summer and worked part-time throughout the year. I really enjoy debugging programs and fixing errors.
enjoyable work
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
It is enjoyable work. It is not easy however because of the long hours that require constant high energy attitude and walking.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
difficult students
Excellent management
Special Projects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 9, 2016
Excellent place to work at. the management makes sure that you have a complete work-life balance and are very supportive of your ideas and recommendations.

4.4