Check-in Agent, Palma, Illes Balears - September 12, 2016
A typical day at work:
I start the day at the check in with customer attention, checking documentation and checking in the bags or what the passengers want to check in(if it is posible). Then if my boss assings me a boarding i go, prepare everything i need and go to the boarding gate, wait until the plane arrives and meanwhile chat with customers.
Let's say that the flight it's delayed, you must tell the passengers and prepare all the claim related papers and you must give all the explanations to your passengers.
If it's a normal flight with normal conditions i've got to
- Do the flight announcement, and wait untill the line forms
- Before the boarding starts you must put a label on a wheelchair, bugy or any other thing they haven't check-in before(depending on how the airport and company works)
- Check de passports, ids or driver license, depending of the travel destination and scan the boarding passes.
- Put inside the plane's vault the bags that won't fit inside the plane(Dispacher's job, but i put all the tags before) and all the other things you just put a label on.
- When boarding finishes you must send the data to the dispacher and he will send all that and more data to the operations desk.
I've learned how to show trust and make the customers feel safe with their choice. Also i've learnt how to be stressed and not showing it at all.
The management it's instresting, as a low cost company there are many things you do/don't do to avoid the company pay extra. There are several scales of bosses, supervisor, duty, and the mayor administrator. All of them keep the base in Palma de Mallorca working properly.
My co-workers are almost all woman, so it's nice, i learnt how to work with a big group of the other gender.
The hardest part of the job is when there's a delay of 3+ hours and i have to talk to the passengers and try to make everyone stay calm, that's the part when i have to give all the information and listen to angry customers for the time the delay takes.
The best part is when i'm at the check-in desk, i like it because i'm the fastest and most efficent doing it.