Russel Metals Employee Reviews in Canada

Consistent Workplace - nowhere to go and low comp however
Corporate Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 11, 2016
-Relatively no changes day to day; culture of anti-change entrenched in most employees
-Upper management does not provide honest, two way communication about economic environment to employees
-Strong nepotism and 'Old Boys Club' among senior staff; mid and lower level staff used as scapegoats for poor results. No accountability for executives.
-Good work life balance, however nowhere to move up within organization (extremely flat)
-During compensation meetings; comp for non-senior exec staff often far below market, which is said to be made up for by large bonuses. However bonuses never meet forecasts or expectations.
Pros
9-5 job, low stress environment
Cons
No career advancement, low pay, nepitism, zero accountability for management
Great company to work for in the long term
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 8, 2013
Russel Metals has great benefits, stock purchasing, RRSP contributions. They are always busy so job security is not an issue. Negative, since everything is just in time stress is higher than it should be. Multi tasking is very important in this role.
Pros
companies by you lunches and the time flys.
Cons
expected to work late and through weekends with no additional compensation. (no commission)
Educational Experience - Sick Day Coverage
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2015
Covered for the receptionist for four hours when she was away sick for a day. Everyone was welcoming and helpful and I fit right in. The hardest part of the job was the fact that it was only for one day and I enjoyed it enough to wish it had been permanent. The best part of the job was experiencing an office atmosphere and getting a feel for working with a switch board with six lines. I learned a lot and I would love to acquire another customer service based position.
Pros
educational, good experience
Cons
short hours
was ok place to work
Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 30, 2015
coworkers were ok, busy days would go fast, could always find work to do, inside or out, could help other workers with their jobs
Cons
can not say
Work a typical 8 hr. day then head home.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 7, 2012
Work from 8am-4:30 pm Monday through Friday
aquired knowledge of the steel industry
management is average
Don't spend much time with co-workers as I am quite busy delivering steel but get along great with most
Hardest part of the job is dealing with the traffic in St. John's everyone is in a rush to go nowhere,and no one obeys the rules of the road.
Most enjoyable part is meeting new people.
A stressful environment to work where the upper managerial staff is incompetent at running the Ontario region
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioApril 28, 2012
It was a great place to work at one point, however it is now run by incompetent upper managers who only know sales but not operations. They run the region by fear and if you are in any way better at your job than the unit manager is, your employment is terminated.
Cons
low pay, incompetent unit managers in ontario

Comment – September 25, 2012

Whoever wrote this review really knows the true sadness of a former great place to work which has been totally destroyed .

Twenty years in the industry is a big asset to companies.
Warehouseman - overhead crane operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaOctober 30, 2012
Working twenty some odd years in the industry with pipe/steel/fittings.Has given me a great knowledge for the oil and gas industry.Walking from a sister company to the mother was a great asset to me. However do to slow down in the industry has made me look elsewhere at this time.
Pros
great hours/people and pay
Cons
becoming a union member and losing years of servise with sister company
Challenging but exciting workplace
Contract Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WinnipegOctober 7, 2012
Hours - 7:30-4:00. Monday to Friday

Review all active quotes, insure customer orders are entered on a timely manner. Review with customers with price or quality concerns.
Meeting with our dept for daily concerns or opportunities.
Hardest part my job: Meeting deadlines between operations and customer needs.
Most enjoyable pat of the job: Insuring the customer receives the best service possible.
Good Job, but nowhere to go
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2014
Good Sales job, go team to work with, but there is no movement or nowhere to move up into.
Russel Metals
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 24, 2014
I have been there for a few years. I go to the bank and post office Monday to Friday. I cash apply the payments that come in by cheque or Electronic Transfer. This is a great job.
Good Place to work
Junior AutoCAD Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 28, 2013
Expanded my skills of AutoCAD. Hardest part of the job when it slowed down and there was little to do to keep me busy.