Royal Victoria Hospital Employee Reviews

Not recommended for Admin. support staff.
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QC24 August 2017
As previously stated I would not recommend working at the RVH at the moment. The financial status of hospitals has forced many job closures and although we have job security (after two years but this may change) a person might end up in a job they do not like; when bumping occurs you do not have much choice in what type of job you can obtain. This is definitely not ideal for productivity and quality of work life.
Pros
Good benefits and salary
Cons
High level of job abolishments
Great Learning Experience
Consolidation Student (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 July 2017
I was working at this Hospital as a full-time Consolidation student, and was going to school part-time. It was tricky to keep up with the hours needed for the program, but I always enjoyed going into work. Staff members were helpful and patient as I learned MediTech and the general pace of the floor I was on.
The more I worked here, the better it was and my relationships with not only my colleagues, but patients grew more fulfilling. I knew that when I finished my placement here I was ready for the world of nursing and was excited to see where I would end up next!
Pros
scheduled breaks, friendly staff, good training for computer and safety, straight forward duties.
Cons
Long hours, some difficult patients
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 June 2017
The Management,Doctors Nurses and the general stall are like one family very good place to work as a matter of fact my third child was born in Royal Victoria hospital I will recommend anyone to visit the hospital and see or make their own opinion
Very good teaching or learning envirement
RPN (Current Employee) –  Quebec9 June 2017
A very on schedule and time sensitive nature of job.I learned from this work envyrement how to program and see ahead the next step and be very responsible. Managing your time and be efficase and productive are the skills that we learn to master in this envyrement.
It's physikally challenging but gratifying at the end because you know that you made a difference in the life of the patient.
Great incentives but hostile environemtn
Strategy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 March 2017
A lot of people at RVH are afraid of their own shadow and that comes from senior management down. Continuous improvement does not mean that there is something wrong, it just means that it's worthwhile to pursue a course of consistent improvement. Pay and benefits are excellent, but senior management needs to lose the egos and listen to improve the hospital
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Toxic culture
Productive & fun workplace
Surgical Processing Technician (MDRD) (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 March 2017
I learned how to ask as many questions as I needed to learn how to process each instrument and trays. I also learned to use the support of my team members to my advantage. We also would joke around with each other to lighten the mood and show our affection towards each other.
Productive and fun place to work allowing the staff to grow.
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON29 December 2016
Many opportunities provided for the staff to grow and learn many new and complex tasks to further their development into becoming better nurses. Able to Mentor new nurses and assist them to become RPNs.
Pros
Able to grow
Cons
Many opportunities for continued learning.
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 December 2016
Challenging and rewarding environment with a lot of opportunities for skill advancement. The work culture has a positive team value system. Patient care is a central focus.
Royal Victoria Hospital is one of the best hospital to work.
Casual Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 November 2016
Royal Victoria Hospital is one of the finest hospital to work.I enjoyed every moment working at Royal Victoria Hospital.I made a great mistake leaving that job and coming to Calgary.
The staffs are so friendly.I worked in almost all wards and clinic.
Royal Victoria Hospital is a great place to work
Transcribing discharge summaries
MEDICAL RECORDS CLERK (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 September 2016
At Allan Memorial, transcribed all day discharge summaries of patients and assisted other Medical Record Clerks with filing/retrieving reports/charts.
ok
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON22 September 2016
everything fine . couldn't have asked for better working conditions. All my fellow employees fun to work with. Supervisors where great and helpful. Hours of workn where satisfactory. Always had lots of supplies and best equipment to work with.
Excellent learning opportunity
Lead Weighted NG Tube Insertion (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 March 2016
I started my nursing career at this facility and was provided with the opportunity to get many post graduate courses. My coworkers are some of my best friends to this day. The work was hard as I worked almost every floor in the hospital.
Productive and fun work place with co-workers
Nursing Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 November 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. During my stage at Royal Victoria Hospital learned about policies, rules, red tape, politics how to communicate and work easier with whole team during the shift. This was the enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleges and learning from them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun to have an employee of the month each month
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 September 2015
A typical day at work involved; punching in at or before 7:50am. Then grab your scurbs and go get changed in dressing room. expected back in man room for the days plans. Then we all went to our designated spots to work. I mostly enjoyed being on a floor with patient rooms, as you got to being some cheer to their day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible coordinators
The gift of helping people die.
RN in palliative care (retired) (Former Employee) –  Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal QC31 August 2015
In my work as a palliative care nurse, I had the privilege of helping families and patients have what is termed "a good death". I was required to use instinct, intuitiveness, compassion, loving kindness as well as all the medical skills necessary. I worked very well with the physicians on staff, had very good relations with them, and could speak openly about what I felt the patient needed. As nurses are at the bedside for a whole shift, and MD's are there but for a shorter time.

It was an honour to be allowed into the lives of my patients and their family's lives at this difficult time. It was their gift to me.

I am fortunate to have had this experience in my life. But now, I am ready to move on towards other experiences.
Pros
Giving to my patients and colleagues.
Cons
Long hours.
Very fast pasted Emergency Room
ECC RN Part Time (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 August 2015
-I worked part time at this facility & when I did I usually worked Triage
-large orthopedic population & fast paced
-learned to manage a lot of patients at one time & prioritize their level of care
-keeping up with the changes since I was part time
-the fast paced setting & the co-workers were very supportive
Pros
faced paced teaching facility
Cons
keeping up with the changes since I worked at 2 other hospitals part time
poor
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  barrie16 February 2015
All aspects of my job where confidential there I can not discuss them.I can say I would like to work in a more caring environment.
Pros
Cons
hostial work enviroment
Registered Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse Medical/Surgical (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON30 January 2015
Busy hospital. Great staff. Long hours. Innovative hospital with lots of growth in future. It is a growing hospital with state of the art technology.
Pros
Team based
Medical System
Medical and Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec8 January 2015
A typical day at work for me is the moment I walk into my office I do not stop. I deal with patients and doctors and other hospital staff members on a daily basis. I have learned to have a lot of patience due to the fact that I deal with patients who have cancer. I work well on my own and also with others. I am a team player. I find that the hardest part of my job is to deal with the sorrow of the patients that come our way, since they have been diagnosed with cancer it is difficult to comfort some of them. But I must be patient and listen and comfort them as best as possible. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a patient has recovered from there disease....
Fast-pace, rewarding experience
Co-Operative Placement, Emergency Department Nurse (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 December 2014
This experience has been my favorite above all. The fast-pace work environment allows me to thrive in my natural setting. The acute setting is tough but has allowed me to grow as a student and professional.
Pros
Variety for all types of experiences
Cons
Health care politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Royal Victoria Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Royal Victoria Hospital Reviews by Location