Royal Victoria Hospital Employee Reviews

ok
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 22, 2016
everything fine . couldn't have asked for better working conditions. All my fellow employees fun to work with. Supervisors where great and helpful. Hours of workn where satisfactory. Always had lots of supplies and best equipment to work with.
Excellent learning opportunity
Lead Weighted NG Tube Insertion (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMarch 8, 2016
I started my nursing career at this facility and was provided with the opportunity to get many post graduate courses. My coworkers are some of my best friends to this day. The work was hard as I worked almost every floor in the hospital.
Productive and fun work place with co-workers
Nursing Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 6, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. During my stage at Royal Victoria Hospital learned about policies, rules, red tape, politics how to communicate and work easier with whole team during the shift. This was the enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleges and learning from them.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fun to have an employee of the month each month
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 26, 2015
A typical day at work involved; punching in at or before 7:50am. Then grab your scurbs and go get changed in dressing room. expected back in man room for the days plans. Then we all went to our designated spots to work. I mostly enjoyed being on a floor with patient rooms, as you got to being some cheer to their day.
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible coordinators
The gift of helping people die.
RN in palliative care (retired) (Former Employee) –  Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal QCAugust 31, 2015
In my work as a palliative care nurse, I had the privilege of helping families and patients have what is termed "a good death". I was required to use instinct, intuitiveness, compassion, loving kindness as well as all the medical skills necessary. I worked very well with the physicians on staff, had very good relations with them, and could speak openly about what I felt the patient needed. As nurses are at the bedside for a whole shift, and MD's are there but for a shorter time.

It was an honour to be allowed into the lives of my patients and their family's lives at this difficult time. It was their gift to me.

I am fortunate to have had this experience in my life. But now, I am ready to move on towards other experiences.
Pros
Giving to my patients and colleagues.
Cons
Long hours.
Very fast pasted Emergency Room
ECC RN Part Time (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 19, 2015
-I worked part time at this facility & when I did I usually worked Triage
-large orthopedic population & fast paced
-learned to manage a lot of patients at one time & prioritize their level of care
-keeping up with the changes since I was part time
-the fast paced setting & the co-workers were very supportive
Pros
faced paced teaching facility
Cons
keeping up with the changes since I worked at 2 other hospitals part time
Medical System
Medical and Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QuebecJanuary 8, 2015
A typical day at work for me is the moment I walk into my office I do not stop. I deal with patients and doctors and other hospital staff members on a daily basis. I have learned to have a lot of patience due to the fact that I deal with patients who have cancer. I work well on my own and also with others. I am a team player. I find that the hardest part of my job is to deal with the sorrow of the patients that come our way, since they have been diagnosed with cancer it is difficult to comfort some of them. But I must be patient and listen and comfort them as best as possible. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a patient has recovered from there disease....
Typical day at Royal Victoria Hospital
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONOctober 11, 2014
Most days are routine belt line preparing and delivering food to patients on each floor, each delivery is never the same though because your always delivering to new patients. I learn something everyday from the patients i deliver to, and that it's important to treat every patient with care and respect equally. Both me and my coworkers get along great always keeping patient satisfactory our main goal, along with our supervisors and management who always work with us to help the day go by smoother. The patient interaction is my favorite part of working at the hospital, but can also be the hardest when someone gets ill or passes can be hard, but is part of life.
Pros
great hours, and friendly management.
Cons
na.
Awesome Place!
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Barrie OntarioJune 4, 2014
I volunteer at RVH and the staff is great and so nice, everything is fast paced and they get you where you need to go fast! I have learned so much from this continuing experience. I have learned how to transfer a stretcher transfer someone in a wheelchair, make sure all gloves robes are all stocked. It is a very fast paced job that I absolutely love and with me wanting to become a paramedic I could not of asked for better experience !
Pros
helping people
Cons
very big and confusing
RVH
Lodge Attendant (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONMay 6, 2014
Providing a staff presence in the Lodge. The attendant is responsible for ensuring a pleasant, congenial, and welcoming atmosphere in the Lodge and for being compassionate and sensitive listener to people residing at the lodge. The attendant is responsible for reception, communication and daily administrative duties of the lodge, assisting in coordination of daily operational requirements of lodge, and overall support to the guests and ensuring compliance with established rules of Lodge. Attendant will be responsible to facilitate access and utilization of local resources both hospital and local community based.
Productive and satisfying place to work
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 5, 2012
Very busy In the clinic where I work we see on a daily basis close to a hundred patients.
The Team work well together and it's all about Patient Care.
If you have a problem, you can discuss it with the Director and he's always willing to offer a solution or re-direct you to use a different strategy.
Co-workers are always helpfull and help out if and when needed.
Not having enough time to take your breaks or a full Lunch hour.
Most enjoyable part of the job Patient Satisfaction!!!
Fast-pace, rewarding experience
Co-Operative Placement, Emergency Department Nurse (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONDecember 7, 2014
This experience has been my favorite above all. The fast-pace work environment allows me to thrive in my natural setting. The acute setting is tough but has allowed me to grow as a student and professional.
Pros
variety for all types of experiences
Cons
health care politics
The dedicated staff at RVH is what makes it a great place to work. The management has 1960's management style.
Medical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONOctober 24, 2012
Great co workers. Friendly staff.
Hard to work as a team as management encourages division between staff.
Unfair to their long term senior staff
Great hours
Working alongside with Pathologist to ensure best specimen results.
Pros
good salary. suitable hours. friendly staff
Cons
poor management
I love working with patients,and I love my co-workers
Floating Nursing Attendant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 11, 2012
I would work at different shifts-Morning-Evening-Night
I loved working with patients
My day would start-with taking account of the requirements in a patients ward.
Then giving bath to patients that was allotted to me,by the head nurse,clean the patient’s beds change they clothing, feed the patients. Sing to them to lift they spirit if I observed them to be in an off or bad mood.
I loved my Co-workers, and they liked to work with me-I think because I was always in a joyful mood all the time. I was always willing to help, and was a great team player.
The hardest part was when I went to work the next day, and found the patient that I sang to the previous day l was no more they, they were gone to heaven.

I learnt to love people, the more love you can give the more happy you can get.
Very busy place but interesting
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie OntarioSeptember 8, 2013
An 8 hour shift consists of running at full speed just so you might get a 10 minute break than back at it till lunch.same hectic pace till end of shift.stress level is high but you meet many great people. Hollow thanks are given for job well done. In the end there is no job security for anyone.
Pros
great people
Cons
the hospital just keeps expecting more more more.
Long term employment in well run caring organization
Full time-Hospital Services Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKJune 20, 2014
Positive workplace. Many opportunities for career advancement. Staff treated well. Shift work was suitable for lifestyle for many years
Pros
opportunity for independant and critical thinking
Cons
shiftwork inevitable, and coverage for vacations time off difficult
Registered Nurse
Registered Practical Nurse Medical/Surgical (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 30, 2015
Busy hospital. Great staff. Long hours. Innovative hospital with lots of growth in future. It is a growing hospital with state of the art technology.
Pros
team based
Cons
wait for someone to die to geta fulltime dayshift job
Critical Care Unit nurse (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 16, 2013
first icu job - great training loved the educator- deb
great mix of junior and senior staff- very well staffed
loved the alarm drills
sleeping okay on night shift breaks- tyg- worked for me
Pros
mental health days encouraged
Comfortable institutional culture
Urology Department Clerk (Former Employee) –  MontrealApril 4, 2013
I worked in the Urology clinic as a student doing filing and conducting patient follow-up calls. It was a friendly, relaxed work environment where everyone knew everyone else.
Pros
friendly, relaxed
poor
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  barrieFebruary 16, 2015
All aspects of my job where confidential there I can not discuss them.I can say I would like to work in a more caring environment.
Cons
hostial work enviroment

Royal Victoria Hospital Reviews by Location