Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre Employee Reviews

Great workplace
Casual Orderly (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 October 2017
The Royal Ottawa is a wonderful place to work, great scheduling, management, and job! I have enjoyed every shift here at the royal, everyone makes you feel welcome and is very helpful.
Best place for clinical and experimental psychology
Medical Record Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 June 2017
This organization provides the most up to date, thorough, and precise work performance in the mental health field. The staff and supervisors are always willing to teach and review concepts in order to benefit the community.
Friendly co-workers and clean environment.
Orderly (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 April 2017
I worked over-night shifts on a casual basis. The over-night hours were very hard on my body. I very much liked working with my co-workers. The work could be stressful at times.
Pros
Great pay.
Cons
Unreliable work. On-Call work. Stressful around patients.
A comfortable place to volunteer at.
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 December 2016
If you are looking to gain experience with mental health care, this is your go-to environment. You can gain a diversity of skills, if you are patient and willing to learn.
Great management, great place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa29 April 2016
I have had a great experience volunteering at the Royal Ottawa for the past 2 years. The management at the Royal is very well organized and flexible.
Supportive Staff, enjoyable work place
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 November 2015
I have just started workng at this job but have experienced wonderful staff. his facility also has a lot of opportunities for patients such as group therapy, planned activities, leave of absences and patient -lead committees.
Productive and fun work place
Registered Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2015
-assisting patients with different diagnosis and needs
-Every work day at work is different so I learn something new every shift.
-most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients succeed in the program.
-Hardest part of the job for me is dealing with conflict between co-workers.
-management is supportive of staff
excellent place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 April 2015
staff show respect and team work. CEO is dedicated to following up on staff issues. Communication among staff is transparent. Overall job satisfaction is excellent.
great place to work
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 March 2015
its a very demanding job. Steam boilers very old and needed many repairs. Many patients walking the hallways. Days went buy fast as always busy.
friendly environment
RPN student consolidation (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2015
It warm nice environment to learn and to help people .

it gives you chance to connect with residents and build professional therapeutic relationship .
Pros
good managers
Amazing Facility. Always learning new information, Great supports and resources offered
Casual Orderly (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 October 2014
-Always alert/ observing environment and patients
-Supporting patients with mental health issues
-Co-workers work amazing individually and as a team
-The hardest part about my job is watching individuals suffer with mental health, and sometimes not being able to help or change their current situation.
-The most enjoyable part about my job is learning and growing with the patients, and watching them reach their goals.
Love my Job
Environmental Service Associate (House-Keeping) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 February 2014
I enjoy my job at the Royal Ottawa, find the staff and co-workers "for the most part " easy to get along with , it defiantly feels like a team environment.
I find our new boss fair and very understanding , although I have heard that many bosses come and go from the Royal and im unsure about the stability of my position.
Being part-time means I am only garenteed every second weekend and for this reason I need to find a second job
Pros
extremely good pay
Cons
extremely low hours
Fair place to work
R.N. - Substance Use and Concurrent Disorders Unit (Former Employee) –  Ottawa1 November 2013
I worked with mental health patients so the company gave seminars on safety often to help avoid incidences as much as possible. There were a lot of safety measures in place such as wearing a device that, if you pressed it when in trouble, an immediate alarm would sound at switchboard and an announcement over the intercom would tell everyone where to respond so lots of people came running to your aid. We also got CPR training, back safety, crash cart knowledge etc. I worked on the Substance Use floor so it was rewarding to see people go through being sober for 1 week, 1 month, 1 year etc. and returning to give me a hug and thank me for helping them. I had trouble with one co-worker only as she wanted to be the boss on every shift and when I asked her why, she didn't really have an answer so management got involved and she flew off the handle and refused to work with me.
Pros
nice building and co-workers were helpful
Cons
some patients could be combative (not their fault)
Environment which allows for younger workers to develop
Labour Relations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 June 2013
This position entailed dealing with various stakeholdes on a daily basis which was the most enjoyable part of the job. I learned that sometimes organizing a meeting to make sure everybody is at the same place and has the same understandings on issues can cut down on future meetings. Periodically management allowed a bit a flexibility with regards to making decisions which was an attractive aspect of the job.
Pros
stable hours
Cons
competing priorities
Wonderful and rewarding atmosphere.
Deputy Returning Officer/ Polling Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 April 2013
Volunteering at the Royal Ottawa Hospital is vital to the functioning of the hospital and we are treated as such.

I deliver medications from the Pharmacy to nine units throughout the facility including locked security wings. This frees-up time for the nurses as they need not run to and from the Pharmacy and can direct their time to other important tasks.

I also work with Elections Canada to register clients to vote in Provincial and Federal Elections .
Pros
yearly awards ceremonies and dinners. meet interesting people whom volunteer their as well.
Cons
none.
Great learning experience, wonderful facility
Security and Mental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 March 2013
A typical day at work involved multiple perimeter patrols of both the inside and outside of the facility. Whenever a code was called security was to be one of the first on scene. I learned quickly to prioritize and work as efficiently as possible. The management team worked really effectively with the security team to make sure the facility was secure at all times. My co-workers were great and very easy to get along with. The hardest part of my job was knowing that at any second you could be thrown into a volatile situation. The most enjoyable part was helping people.
Pros
great facility
Enjoyable atmosphere
Student internship (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario3 November 2012
I did not spend a lot of time at this location but the time I did spend here was enjoyable and a very good learning experience.
I enjoy to work with the staff and meet/support people.
Customer Service Assistant (volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2012
I serve customers in the clothing store. It's nice to meet and serve the staff and patients that shop there and learn more about them as they tell me about theirself. Also to learn about the various mental disabilites these people have.

I also have been a meal assistant in geriatrics.
Staff are hard working and passionate about the treatment and recovery of people with mental illness.
Communications (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario15 February 2012