Royal Oak Village
Recreation Aide - Full-time
The Recreation Aide works with residents and allied professionals to plan, develop, implement and evaluate recreation programs in a person – centered manner, which addresses resident needs and promotes overall safety. The Recreation Aide will work with residents, family members and volunteers to create an environment which fosters diversity, enables independence and dignity and provides the utmost opportunity for optimal wellness and self-actualization.
Responsible to and work under the direction of:
Administrator, Royal Oak Manor
Areas of Accountability
- Provides on-going contributions to the structuring and development of recreational department goals.
- Welcomes and orientates new residents to the facility. Introduces resident to recreation program and facilitates introduction into social groups.
- Maintains records of resident participation rate and individual responses to the programs offered.
- Encourages and supports participation in recreation programs. When necessary, Recreation Aide accompanies resident to program.
- Engages in program planning which is age appropriate, highly innovative and reflective of the recommendations of resident needs assessments.
- Considers and applies program adaptations to ensure equal access for all people who would like, or would benefit, from the recreation program(s) offered.
- With minimal-to-moderate assistance, the Recreation Aide develops, promotes, implements and evaluates a variety of recreation and leisure programs based on the 7 areas of wellness – physical, social, cognitive, spiritual, emotional, environmental and creative/occupational. The majority of these should be implemented on a cyclical basis.
- Engages in all areas of recreation programming including, but not limited to: set – up, take down, volunteer recruitment, implementation, charting (if appropriate) and participation tracking.
- Collaborates with committees to provide guidance and assistance with resident – led activities.
- Works with committees to develop and distribute newsletter and calendars to residents. Will print extras to have available for guests and family members.
- Recruits and maintains volunteer department.
- Practices safety consciousness with the residents and maintains a reasonably safe environment for the residents. Ensures no undue risk beyond that associated with thoughtful program participation.
- Complies with safety regulations and policies
- With assistance, the Recreation Aide identifies and orders appropriate program supplies and equipment.
- Engages in one-to-one visitations, particularly when a resident is unable or unwilling to attend programs.
- Provides information and education on special topics of interest to residents and/or families.
- Facilitates resident orientation by communicating monthly, weekly and daily schedules through the use of calendars, announcements, posting and white board notifications.
- Report unsafe conditions within the living and work environment; take required action to decrease the risk of injury immediately and/or notify management of the concern.
- Be accountable for personal education and development; attend relevant workshops, seminars and conferences. Incumbent will apply learning to workplace.
- Demonstrate commitment to learning new skills, methods and ideas: broaden experience through work on projects and committees.
The core competencies of the Recreation Aide’s role consist of the following knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Minimum Educational/Experience Requirements
- Diploma/Certificate in Recreation studies.
- In lieu of education, extensive work experience with seniors may be considered.
- Experience with seniors and/or people with disabilities required.
- Minimum of 1 year working in the area of recreation/activity programming.
- First Aid and CPR Certificate an asset.
- Ability to acquire a Class 4 Driver’s License.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Exceptional time management skills, ability to prioritize.
- Good judgment and ability to exercise discretion.
- Motivated, creative and willing to take calculated risks.
- Ability to self-initiate and also work well as a team member.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Compassionate, courteous and respectful.
- Excellent observational skills and ability to determine urgency or reportable incidents.
- Maintain a professional, but functional, appearance in dress and grooming.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and personal hygiene.
- A current and clear Criminal Records Check.
- Involves extensive standing, walking, bending and lifting (up to 10kg is often required) – dress should reflect this.
- Requires the ability to critically assess the needs and abilities of the residents.
This job description indicates representative responsibilities and specifications of the position only and should not be considered to necessarily represent all responsibilities and specifications of the position. The incumbent may perform other duties as assigned, which are not specified in this description. A review and update of this job description will take place at the yearly performance review.
Indeed - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard