Royal Glenora Club Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
The kitchen is very because the person in charge is very racist
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2017
The Ex-Sous Chef fully controls the kitchen operation and he has a very bad personality.
He is the cause for a very stressful atmosphere in the kitchen, instead of lifting his staff up he belittles them unless they are of an East Indian heritage, whom he prefers to hire, regardless of their level of experience.
He willing to overlook any wrong doings they commit, however he is only too willing to humiliate all others who are not of Indian ancestry. He never shows any appreciation for great efforts, even when kitchen’s staff challenge themselves to achieve some of the near impossible request that’s being asked of them. He treats them as less than human, somewhat like slaves meanwhile he assumes a godlike position in the kitchen, and because we have family obligations nothing is said because of fear of punishment or dismal. It is also troubling that despite the high turnover rate in the kitchen, compared to other departments in the facility, no one from the management team seems to be concerned about the state of affairs in the kitchen regarding the staff issues.
Do not apply for a kitchen position at the Royal Glenora Club unless you are of East Indian heritage.
Frequent trouble with members, managerial expectations
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2017
My typical day at work consisted of lifeguarding the pool, doing off-deck maintenance, and occasionally teaching swimming lessons. The workplace culture consists of being antagonized by members of the club, and working with consistently inconsistent coworkers and managers. The club's management changes every six or so months, which means that members often do not know who to go to with their issues and concerns. Even then, the CEO of the club rarely backs lifeguards up when they are enforcing the rules--rules which exist solely to protect the members and their children.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Inconsistent staff and managers, entitled members
I loved this place, as i got lot of training, and knowledge.
Head Baker - Pastry Chef (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 September 2016
Learning the Canadian culture was a never forgettable experience, and the multicultural environment give me lot of experience with different languages what I will never forget....
Pros
excellent place and management for work....
Cons
every Sunday I had to work, as big buffet.
Fun atmosphere
BUILDING OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 March 2016
not stressfuk at work, learned alot about customer service & general maintenance. Management was less than adequate there wasnt much structure. Co workers were easy to get along with.
Pros
Staff luch, can use the facility sometimes
Cons
Old building, lots of work needed
great work environment , got to meet a lot of the high society diplomats
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
Working at RGC was a great experience, it was a members only club which had numerous activities an amazing chef for our cafe' and numerous of amazing events that members and their families could participate in, My main focus was customer service and booking reservations for the tennis courts and private events and just making sure our clients visit was perfect. I learned about different sports and the types of tournaments that we offered. We had people come from all over Canada to participate in these events which was great. The staff and management was amazing very friendly and easy to talk to. Also if there was ever an issue or problem they were always there ready to help. There wasn't many difficulties for me there just because we all had our departments we worked in and as a team we kept things running smoothly.My favorite part of working there was being able to interact with all the members kids and help them with their lessons and activities.
Pros
having an amazing sous chef and eating gourmet meals, being able to use the facility and take the classes
Cons
early hours and not being able to use the pool, that was our only restriction.
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 August 2015
It was a great place to work..The staff were fantastic and fun to work with. Met a lot of great people who were members..and also some great experiences
Pros
Free suppers
Cons
Upper management were unpleasant