Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
is a fun place to work with lot of responsibilities
Crew Administrator (Former Employee), on ships last was Mariner of the seasSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: you live on ship and is close to work.
Cons: long hours and have to be away from family
Royal Caribbean is a good place to work , and with proper training and interviews can make you grow in the company.
Fun and Educational company to work for.
Orchestra musician (Former Employee), Miami (head office)May 21, 2014
Pros: short hours, seeing the world, making great friends, gaining professional music experience, doing what i love and getting paid.
Cons: constant time changes, lack of job security once contracts finished.
Working for Royal Caribbean was a once in a life time experience where I was essentially getting paid to travel the world.

The job was to be part of the on board Orchestra, playing all kinds of shows to entertain the guests, whether this be playing in the weekly production of Saturday Night Fever, sight reading a guest entertainer show, or playing – more... Jazz for the captains cocktail party on formal night.

This role really helped me to gain a feeling of responsibility, as i was in charge of my own performance on stage and off stage and all issues relating to the Drums would be my responsibility to resolve.

As well as this as the orchestra drummer, I was in charge of all the other drummers on the ship. My role with this was to ensure that standards were kept, and the general maintenance of the drums was up to standard. – less
Lead by fear and pressure
Crew Administration Manager (Former Employee), Cruise ShipsFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: get to travel, free food, get to save
Cons: management is by people who have never lived on the ships
The company in itself is a good place to work if you have the energy and can put in the hours.
You get to see a lot of places and you're paid cash which is great.

However as much as you look for support there seems to be a huge disconnect between the ship staff and the head office staff which makes things very difficult.

If your boss is in Miami but – more... has never worked on a ship - they cannot possibly understand what one goes through.

If everyone in the office worked shipboard at some point - it would make things a lot smoother.

Also there is a lot of pressure to meet budget when things aren't still correct on the ships.

Unfortunate but true. – less
It's a ideal company to work with.
Commis I / Sushi Chef (Former Employee), Cruise ShipJuly 5, 2013
Pros: free food, airconditioned cabin.
Cons: sea sick during bad weather.
Great opportunity to travel around the world.
Lots of amenities for crew.
You work 7 days a week for 7 months of the year on a cruise ship
Sports Supervisor (Former Employee), All around the world on a cruise shipMay 20, 2013
Pros: loved the job
Cons: if i could do the same work on land and not on a ship it would be great
I have worked for the company for 4 years and want to move back home and lead a normal life. I enjoyed all aspects of the job, working with others, surfing on the flowrider, belaying on the rock wall, interacting with the customers, making the schedules, fixing the equipment.
High on Values and culture
Assistant Executive Housekeeper (Former Employee), ship basedFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: free accomodation and meals
Cons: all cons that come with working in hotels
In troubled economic times. This was the only company that was hiring back i 2009-10. the company is high on personal values and culture and the owning family is very involved in the daily operations. A pleasant place to work.
Good workplace for single individual...
Galley Steward (Current Employee), Miami, MBNovember 27, 2012
Pros: free lodging & meal everyday.
Cons: broken schedule & long hours of duty.
Hard part of the said job was the schedule, it was broken schedule. Management was fair as well as my co-workers. What I enjoyed most was that I've travelled the world.
Excellent company to work at, I was very happy been part of it!
Hotel Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), AboardApril 4, 2012
All jobs onboard a cruise ship are tough and the fact of not having days off make you really tired, but despite this, the experience and the career opportunities that Royal Caribbean offers make it a great company to work at.
decent workplace
Lead, Business and Technology Analyst (Current Employee), Miami, FLDecember 17, 2014
work comes in waves. There is an ebb and flow of busy work and extended downtime.
Crew day is great it has a bar ,crew parties always awesome ,crew bingo always have great pizes and jackpot.
Waiter Lead (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 5, 2014
Pros: great for families for vacation, service standards are high, great crew facilities
Cons: it very challenging place to work at times but you dig deep and you do it.
I have learned a lot about Food and Beverage in the time spent at Royal Caribbean , its a great company to work for and I have meet a lot of great people and seen great places.Working with people from different countries was a challenge at times but at the end of the day we worked it out to the benefit of our guest.The hardest part of the the job turnaround – more... day where you work long hours and all the supplies don't come on board and you have to convey this to the guest.Management could be somewhat differcult at times when they sometimes don't listen to the people which is under them. – less
cool experience
Sports Staff (Former Employee), Miami, FLDecember 2, 2014
cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience cool experience
High Call volume
Assist customers (Former Employee), Wichita, KSNovember 18, 2014
Pros: steady breaks and lunches
Cons: extensive and hard work for the pay
Standard work company with high over turn. Calls are always under and over projected. Requests for high sales during unnecessary call volumes and not appropriate for calls.
Working at RCCL
Guest Services Officer (Former Employee), Miami, FLNovember 16, 2014
Pros: traveling around the world.
Cons: every job has different duties, some of them are difficult but at the end they are part of the work and needs to be done.
A normal day at work started getting the float assigned and start the computer having all the programs ready to give to the guest the answer to their questions.

The best part of the day was to have a difficult Guest with a lot of problems and after hearing all the problems receive a very honest "Thank you for your help" and a smile for a guest who – more... felt he was really important in that moment and all his concerns were listened and solved and the best way.

Every day I learned something new from the Guest and my co-workers.

Working in a cruise line is really enjoyable specially for all the diversity amount of people that we can know. – less
Great vacation cruise ship in the whole world ever!
Fac Maintenance Dispatcher /Telephone Operator (Former Employee), Miami florida USANovember 14, 2014
Pros: great opportunity for someone to get international work experience and has a great work environment, our ships truly are incredible and offer so much to the guests.
Cons: i have never seen any kind of downside about this company.
I have been working at Royal Caribbean Cruises full-time
(Almost 5 years)
Game room and Gym
Shore Excursions Asst. Manager (Current Employee), miami FlNovember 12, 2014
Pros: free, lunch, flight
Cons: short break
Every day in my live is amazing one. We have to sell the destination to our Guests on the sea day, I start opening the desk at 8:00am till noon and from 14:00 till 20:00 we try to sell as much tours as we can. at the end of the day we meet as a team. go to the crew area play table tennis, go to the crew bar or just read a book.

The hardest part of – more... the job is the time away from friends and family.
and the most enjoyable part is that I can meet so many people and visit places. – less
exposure to international business
Security Supervisor (Current Employee), MiamiNovember 6, 2014
Pros: food and accomodation is complimentary
Cons: rating does matters
lot of experience gained from the daily work. sometimes bit difficult to handle situations when one do not have enough authority to resolve the issue. there should be match of authority and responsibilities.
Fast Paced and Exciting
Pier Agent (Current Employee), Miami, FLNovember 5, 2014
This is a fun place to work out with great people. You are a check in agent for the guest boarding the vacation cruises You meet all kinds of people here and interacting with them is just great. You may end up doing other jobs like IT, Wheelchair assisting, Directing the lines and so forth..
boat mentainces
Pool attendant/Supervisor (Former Employee), caribbeanNovember 1, 2014
the work is good and easy everything fits into place I work by myself so overall is good
I very much enjoyed my 17yrs with RCCL.
Senior International Group Coordinator (Former Employee), Miramar, FLOctober 31, 2014
Pros: one of the best and affordable benefits packages i have seen and awesome co workers
Cons: that i am no longer a member of a world class company
One of the best things about RCCL were and are the people. Not just the ones on my team but all the folks I interacted with at all levels of the company. The folks were always professional and at the same time personable. The benefits were AAA quality and affordable. They cared about the people who worked there and did value the long time employees. – more... I would go back to work for them in a minute if I have the chance to do so and would recommend them to anyone who was going to apply. – less
Great job to get experience, no way to make a living.
Bartender/Supervisor (Former Employee), International LocationsOctober 28, 2014
Pros: travel, advancement, life experiences, job security
Cons: awful pay, long hours, no work life balance
As a former employee working on the ship I have to mention this:
1) You are not paid close to federal minimum wage. The ships are flagged outside the US, in order to avoid US taxes and labor/wage laws.
2) The hours are beyond reasonable, 7 day work weeks for 8 months or more depending on your contract. Working 12 to 16 hours a day with multiple mandatory – more... drills.
3) The company preaches safety nonstop, and training is constant... however how could anybody expect safe practices among crew that is operating on nearly 3 hours of sleep a night?

What you do get is:
1) Travel, meals (not great but it will keep you alive), and the basics (bed, gym, and crew bar). You also get the chance to work on a different ship each contract, which means more destinations.
2) Advancement. If you take your job seriously, and work hard, you will move up quickly.
3) Very down to earth co workers. Everybody works insane hours for low pay, so everybody is pretty much on the same level. Making friends is easy.
4) Somewhat flexibility, if you "WORK" with your managers and co workers, they will "WORK" with you.
5) Job security. The company spends money flying you to your ship, if your fired or quit, they fly you home at their dime. So you really, have to screw up to get fired.

Ship life isn't for everyone. You won't get rich(or even get by) doing it, you won't see your family for 8 months plus, and you get physically and mentally exhausted working... but you get to travel to places you'd probably never go on your own, make friends from all around the world, and have the chance to bulk up your resume in nearly record time.

Its a perfect job for someone right out of High School, turning 18, isn't planning college or unsure what they want to do. – less

1 2 3 4 5