Royal Canadian Mounted Police Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent opportunity, great working environment.
RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 24, 2016
I worked in a research position for the Use of Force Division at the Royal Canadian Mounted Police National Headquarters, which was an opportunity provided through my education at Carleton University. The working environment was very positive and the people were extremely friendly. My job focused on gathering, inputting, and reporting on research areas pertinent to the division.
Guard
Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort Liard, NTDecember 16, 2015
Worked night shifts as a guard.
Was responsible for the well being of the inmates.
Pretty straightforward job which had very flexible hours.
Pros
great pay, flexable work hours
Cons
not enough shift work
Amazing Experience
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 2, 2015
It is a very limited job opportunity for PS employees. Having worked in a couple of different sectors, it was amazing experience with great benefits.
Pros
Great government Benefits.
Cons
Growth within the company
Great place to work, fantastic culture
Criminal Database Maintenance Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 30, 2015
I very much enjoyed my time at the RCMP, great benefits, fun environment, great work life balance. As a public servant I was part of the Union which protected us on many levels.
Pros
Great Hours
Fast-Track Assistant
Text Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 5, 2015
Typical duties that I perform on a regular basis include entering data into a computer, filing records, answering telephone calls, relaying messages and replying to emails. I also have plenty experience using MS office as I use Word and Excel on a daily basis.
Pros
Fulfilling government position
Cons
Contract Position
Fun experience
Data Entry/ Filing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 4, 2015
This was a summer job offered by the Toronto Police for high school students. There were 1000+ job applicants but only 150 were chosen, and I was lucky enough to be one of them.
We were assigned to different districts, and depending on that we had different duties. Out duties in district 14 were data entry and filing.
If we didn't have any paperwork left to do, the police officers would take us to 911 calls site. It was an interesting experience
Working for the RCMP
Police Officer, Use of Force Instructor and SME (Former Employee) –  Prince George, 100 Mile House and Creston, BCMay 14, 2015
The RCMP is Canada's national police force, with a proud and powerful history it was an honor to wear the uniform. The unfortunate problem is the disastrous lack of leadership throughout all levels of the outfit, from the national leadership level to the local detachment level. As a member of the RCMP I was always proud of the uniform I wore and the protection I provided to the public, but because of poor wages, substandard equipment and the lack of support provided to the average member I would hesitate to suggest applying today.
Confidential
Text Entry Clerk / Paper Conversion (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioMay 10, 2015
I can not discuss my work within the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as it is very confidential. I can only mentioned I was a Data Entry Clerk within the RCMP in paper conversion.
Pros
Salary
N/A
Law Enforcement (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 16, 2015
The last position I held was the the Prime Minister Protection Detail, where our primary client is Canada's Prime Minister, and secondly his family. There I was part of the PM's Protection team, either as a Bodyguard, or Chauffeur in the Motorcade, in Canada, or wherever the PM went. When not at one of the previous functions, I was either the Bodyguard, or Chauffeur of the PM's family members.

At INTERPOL Ottawa, I was charged with assisting in locating wanted individuals from either other INTERPOL Bureaus, or Canadian Police Services.

I could say that what I enjoyed most was when I located an Internationally wanted "dangerous" criminal, and brought him to the requesting agency.
Pros
the chance to do various jobs and functions.
Cons
long hours, and days away from family.
Great organisation
Regular Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 22, 2014
I served with pride and dedication for 24 years in a great organisation, I saw beautiful places and met interesting people. A good job, but now I look forward to a new challenge in my life
Strong and week points
Translator / Monitor (Current Employee) –  Monitor, ONSeptember 29, 2014
My strength is good work ethic. I can work in any circumstances and be adaptive to new working environment quickly and effectively.
My week point is I have to balance my work and personal lives.
Lasting relationships and career building experiences
Divisional Manager Project Management (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
Overall a great experience.
Enjoyable and once-in-a-lifetime experiences
Educational but demanding
Cons
advancement difficult and long hours
Fast Past, High Stress Environment Yet Rewarding
Corporal Watch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABSeptember 17, 2014
I directly supervise 16 constables assigned to my watch. I ensure that adequate resourcing levels are maintained and ensure their proper allocation in the city. I monitor all incoming calls direct member response when required maximizing member and public safety and ensure specialized units are utilized when required. I review members ongoing investigations, provide guidance/direction ensuring our clients are receiving a high quality of service. Deal with public complaints against members resolving each situation on an individual basis. Work with outside agencies when required as partners in the resolving of investigations and situations.
Pros
sense of accomplishment, rewarding, fulfilling
Cons
stress, long hours
Good place to work often by myself but always have someone to contact if needed
Guard (Current Employee) –  Lac du Bonnet, MBJuly 19, 2014
Typical shift is sitting at desk monitoring prisoners or checking responsiveness by physical check in cell. Writing on-going reports and caring for their needs and safety.

Learned to be aware of what's going on and working with professional law enforcement.

No management duties.

Usually only co-workers are RCMP members who come and go.

Hardest part of job is the on call work and working all hours of day or night.

Most enjoyable part of my job is the fact that I am respected and trusted by my peers.
Pros
salary and work enviroment is good
Cons
always on call and never have advance notice when they need me
Great for cash but not dependable
Temporary Civilian Employee (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONJuly 17, 2014
This position was a contract position so it wasn't consistent and could be cancelled at any time
Amazing Organization to work for
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  OttawaFebruary 17, 2014
The life of an RCMP officer is exciting and challenging and no two days are ever the same. I would encourage anyone thinking about joining the RCMP to do it..
Pros
the entire job and management
Cons
none!!
Excellent flexibility
MANAGER OF BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES GROUP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 2, 2014
Manage a large group of employees conducting several different policing support units.
good place to work
Offset Press Operator (pr-ofo-4) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 11, 2013
I worked there for a period of 8 years. I enjoyed my time there although it was cut short because of outsourcing.
Pros
gym in the building
Cons
got outsourced
A great career, will miss it when I move on.
Forensic Identification Specialist - Corporal (Current Employee) –  Terrace, BCApril 17, 2013
I have experienced eight transfers with the force and have lived in two Provinces and two Territories.
A typical day, can start off with a request for forensic services from a client detachment ( Forensic Services is a support service to front line policing) to process a crime scene for evidence.To preparing and completing expert witness reports for crown counsel ( Federal and provincial).
I have learned to pay attention to detail, patience, perseverance.
Management - Anyone can be taught to manage, few can lead effectively.
Most of my co-workers are solid, dedicated people.
Dealing with the death of a small child. Seeing the justice system fail society.
Seeing all the long hours and work, come to fruitation.
Pros
flexiablity and excellent work/life balance.
Cons
seeing the lows of human misery and selfishness. sounds dark, but it is reality.
Adminstrative Assistant
Federal internship position (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PENovember 5, 2012
A federal internship position as an employee within “L” Division of the RCMP. I have to say I enjoyed every aspect of it, and feel very proud to have had this opportunity. Much of my experience is transferable, specifically in my time spent with the RCMP and administration

4.2