Royal Canadian Legion Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great environment to work in
Cook (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 12, 2016
There wasn't a day where i got frustrated at coworkers. Dart nights were fun to work, alongside steak night. All customers showed up happy also left if not in the same mood a better mood. Also full and satisfied.
Very busy place
Head Bartender (Former Employee), Gillam, MBDecember 25, 2015
as a private run organization the management is under the direction of an Executive Committee. Many personal opinions can influence how the organization runs and who works there. in a nutshell a lot of politics and looking the other way when whats best for the business is not the way it's run.

I gained alot of experience working here as i was able to learn to manage work schedules for staff and run effective staff meetings.
I was also a volunteer for various committees which was a great influence of my personal development.
Legion
BAR MANAGER (Former Employee), Smithers, BCDecember 4, 2015
Pros: Patrons, meat draw.
Cons: Only volunteers
Unfortunately many if the countries legions are dying off.
With not enough veterans around to support them they start closing their doors,
I did love working there, the patrons were the friendliest bunch.
It was a fun experience volunteering at the Royal Canadian Legion
Volunteer (Current Employee), South Surrey, BCNovember 15, 2015
I did many types of volunteering- Meat Draw ticket sales, Creating Meals for the Friday night dance.
I learned how to sell and cook in big quantities .
Met a lot of nice people. I still volunteer on occasion..
Great Clientele
Server/Bartender (Former Employee), Ladysmith, BCNovember 13, 2015
Pros: Meeting extraordinary people
Cons: not enough hours
Taking drink orders, making and serving beverage to the patrons.
Executing money transaction (Debit, Visa and cash).
Providing excellent customer service to all guests.
Bar Staff Supervisor,VLT,cash accountability
*supervise barstaff, cash,bar, VLT supervision (Former Employee), Lac Du Bonnet, MbOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Serving the public
Cons: Too much politics
*great interaction with public
*enjoyable work
*poor management
*disgruntled co-workers
*difficult to maintain positive attitude in an often toxic and confusing executive direction
Very fun and mellow place to work...and Has a pool table
Bartendar/Manager (Former Employee), Alert Bay B.CSeptember 8, 2015
Loved working here at the Legion, got to enjoy a lots of people company as I was a very good Bartender and people loved my personality.
Highly respected establishment
Assistant Bar Manager/Bartender (Current Employee), Burns Lake, BCJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: Short hours
The Legions patrons were very kind and generous, I have learned how to build great relationships with customers.

I run the bar, my management skills have improved. I am the only employee, unless otherwise, we are throwing an event in which I am the team leader.

No part of my job is hard.

Every part of my job is enjoyable.
Busy, public oriented,enjoyed dealing with Veterans
Office Administrator (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBJuly 19, 2015
Because it is a membership-based organization, you have to work for many "bosses" which can be difficult at times. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the fast-paced, diverse position. The President is the ultimate boss and this position is filled by election annually. Therefore, this was a very responsible position because the Administrative Assistant was the only constant as the President and Executive changed annually.
a small business dealing with veterans and the general public
administrative assitant (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 22, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: only part time work
I answered phones, emails, faxed, coordinated rentals, communicated with different executive members. Answered directly to the president of the branch and members.
productive
serve (Former Employee), Chateauguay, QCJune 20, 2015
Pros: everyone is nice, free food, free drinks
Cons: nothing
royal Canadian legion is for vets of the war. Brunches are well balanced meals, cheap too. all proceeds go towards the legion. Volunteer to serve brunches, cadets now do it, very nice people
at times it is a high volume of sales in a short time frame
Bartender (Current Employee), Tilbury, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: need to multie task and work fast and effeincely
Cons: long shifts when staff did not want to work.
Completing cash transaction, customer services, telephone manners and scheduling rentals and hall clean up and reordering plus completing weekly deposits.
Busy / productive / fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 2, 2015
Pros: great food
Cons: long hours
typically my day was where will I be working, staff issues occurred often, so I would fill in , management and co-workers were great , the members were always a challenge , but I enjoyed working for the Legion.
poor mangement
Bartender (Former Employee), CaledoniaMarch 27, 2015
the team leader wasn't a very pleasant lady and always heard her complain about her job, but sat there and drank every night after work. the president was rude and ignorant to almost everyone that walked into the establishment.
Overall average day
Bar tender (Former Employee), Espanola ONJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: free to do things
Cons: no breaks
Every morning at 9 am meet with my boss she would inform me what needed to be done during that day. I mostly did maintenance like cleaning up after people and making sure everything was tidy, I worked alone I didn't have any co workers other then my boss. The hardest part of my job was trying to make sure i did everything as asked which I did, I didn't find anything overly difficult, The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing I was helping out the veterans.
Quiet freindly place.
Affiliate Voting Member (Current Employee), 612 BeamsvilleNovember 19, 2014
Like all Legions clean and friendly place, with regulars giving back much to their community.
Great place to work. supports the community and it s veterans and families
Branch/Bar Manager (Former Employee), Cold Lake ABOctober 17, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, pretty relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: long hours at times, on my feet all day
I worked there for 8 years and was a volunteer on the executive for 4 years prior to that. It is interesting working for volunteers and has its challenges and rewards. I was in a highly responsible and trusted job and did adhere to the requirements.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the politics .
The Legion members are what made my job most enjoyable.
since i was the manager,I hired the staff and they were super to work with.
very energetic person in the work force
Executive Committee Member (Current Employee), Cold Lake, ABAugust 25, 2014
Pros: camp work
Cons: away from family
check e-mails
attend safety toolbox meetings
on sight morning inspection/audits
review stats from previous day which may included finishing investigations inputting matrix or IMS items

back on sight for further on sight review coaching FLHA

There are a wide variety for this type of to numerous to list them all
A good place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Victoria Harbour, ONAugust 17, 2014
I volunteer regularly at the legion, I don't get paid for my services but the time i spend there goes towards my 40 hours of community service for school. A typical day will include washing the floors setting up and putting away tables and chairs.
Very Challenging
Bookkeeper F/C (Former Employee), Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONJuly 16, 2014
Typical day was based in Bookkeeping F/C and meeting the challenges of different ideas of volunteers and staying true to the Members. I came into this position at a very difficult time when there was a lot of corruption and dishonesty and had to work hard to set in place new policies and guidelines to correct the wrongs. I enjoyed this position very much because of the members and staff who worked there. However, it was very difficult given the task I had at hand. I did succeed in my duties at hand with much animosity towards me. But in the end it all worked out.