Royal Canadian Legion Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Multi Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC6 July 2016
provide free meal.work is not hard and pay is not bad.you can get off anytime in case of emergency and sick leave. no benefits and not unionized
Pros
free meal
Cons
no benefits
Decent place to work
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 December 2016
Allowed me to gain bartending skills. Training was not good. Was left to open and close by myself after only 2 shifts. Management is bad.
Friendly Enviroment
Bar Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Wilberforce, ON6 November 2016
Loved the people I worked with. I enjoyed the pace we worked at. It was always different there, but you definitely had some slow days, which can be a nice change some times.
Pros
Free lunches during events.
Cons
Not as high as minimum wage.
wonderfful to hear the stories from our veterans
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Midland, ON22 February 2017
a great community provider. Our legions do great stuff for our community.
It was a fabulous place to work,
I learned alot about out elderly and there needs.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
Wonderful place to work. Warm and welcoming environment.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 March 2016
Pleasant staff, very supportive Executive and Board of Directors. The.Branch Manager position poses challenges on a daily basis. Member age group varies (20's to 90's). Sitting and chatting with the older Legion members is always enlightening....always something new to learn about the town and the Legion. Newer members bring their energy and a peek towards the future life of the Legion.
Pros
Always meeting new people.
Cons
Easy to get into working long hours as there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done.
great place to work
Custodian Helper (Former Employee) –  Shelburne, NS4 October 2016
I enjoyed my time working at the Royal Canadian Legion, the people were friendly and respected what you done and also allowed you to do your work without trying to make you feel not knowledgeable
great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  pincher creek20 September 2016
great place to work, great co workers fun working environment. the customers are the best part. definitely taking pride in your job there is an asset. I would recommend this place to anyone
Nice Place
Office Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC24 August 2016
Lots going on in this company, lots of things changing. Wish there was more volunteers but the volunteers that are there are always going above and beyond.
Productive way to raise funds.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2016
It was an excellent volunteering experience. It allowed me to interact with the public actively. I collected donations throughout the day.
Fun workplace.
Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, NL27 October 2013
This job was voluntary. So there was no job security or advancement. Also there was no salary or benefits. It was a great place to work, I got to go in when It was good for me. The hardest part of the job was long hours when there was caterings. The most enjoyable was working with a bunch of awesome people.
Pros
Work around my work schedule
Cons
Long hours and no pay.
Very busy place
Head Bartender (Former Employee) –  Gillam, MB25 December 2015
as a private run organization the management is under the direction of an Executive Committee. Many personal opinions can influence how the organization runs and who works there. in a nutshell a lot of politics and looking the other way when whats best for the business is not the way it's run.

I gained alot of experience working here as i was able to learn to manage work schedules for staff and run effective staff meetings.
I was also a volunteer for various committees which was a great influence of my personal development.
Awesome membership board, great atmosphere.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2012
I learned at this job to work independantly. A majority of the time I was the only staff in the building. That has taught me to figure out the ropes on my own.

The idea behind the Royal Canadian Legion is absolutly amazing. Taking care of those who served to protect and fight for our freedom. Not just those who served, but their families as well. Meeting all kinds of vetrans, and hearing their incredible stories was so overwhelming. Words cannot describe.

Managment in this particular branch of the Royal Canadian Legion was poor. There practically was no managment. In my opinion, she did not have proper training to run a business.

The hardest part (but, most rewarding) was hearing all the war vetrans' stories. They were heart-warming, and heart breaking all at the same time. The biggest thing I know that I had to get over, was that these men and women are all people, just like you and I. That's the way they want to be treated, not like heroes.

The most enjoyable, was the members. Hands down. The people that came into the establishment is what made my job so great. Getting to know every member, remembering their drink of choice and having it ready for them when they walk in the door.
Pros
customers/ membership board, bartending, independance.
Cons
managment, pay/benefits.
Great place to work. supports the community and it s veterans and families
Branch/Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake AB17 October 2014
I worked there for 8 years and was a volunteer on the executive for 4 years prior to that. It is interesting working for volunteers and has its challenges and rewards. I was in a highly responsible and trusted job and did adhere to the requirements.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with the politics .
The Legion members are what made my job most enjoyable.
since i was the manager,I hired the staff and they were super to work with.
Pros
Friendly environment, pretty relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
long hours at times, on my feet all day
productive Work Place
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2016
mostly consisted of serving customers drinks, Nevada Tickets ( Pull Tickets) was Part Time Bar Tender so mostly worked alone
hardest part dealing with "inebriated " clients - best part leaving behind clean Bar and Seating Area, stocked cooler and balanced cash floats
Pros
was able to still work my Full Time position
Cons
Sometime Late Hours
productive ,busy but short nights
Volunteering (Current Employee) –  Delhi, ON22 March 2016
It would get busy serving dinner but once everyone had their meals and were eating we were able to focus on other tasks such as cleaning and preparing more food.
It was always fun and an enjoyable time
Bar Staff Supervisor,VLT,cash accountability
*supervise barstaff, cash,bar, VLT supervision (Former Employee) –  Lac Du Bonnet, Mb20 October 2015
*great interaction with public
*enjoyable work
*poor management
*disgruntled co-workers
*difficult to maintain positive attitude in an often toxic and confusing executive direction
Pros
Serving the public
Cons
Too much politics
Typical kitchen help
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB7 February 2016
Casual day consisted of washing dishes, helping with food prep, and helping prepare and run buffet meals, also did closing duties at night time.
Pros
One Free meal a day, unlimited drinks
Cons
Not enough hours, not good enough wage
Enjoyable work environment
Short Order Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 January 2016
- preparing and serving food
- how to prioritise my work
- provided training and good feed back
- pleasant and helpful
- over loaded work being the only cook
- a satisfied customer
Pros
Cooking my own lunch and a family atmosphere
Cons
over loaded work
Fast paced and organized environment.
Server/bus person (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 October 2012
A typical day at the Royal Canadian Legion for me would be me coming into work,helping with prep work,taking phone orders and serving customers. I would take orders from customers,serve them and I would also collect dishes from tables. I learned how to give amazing customer service,deal with unsatisfied customers as well as satisfied,how to take orders from large numbers of people,take phone orders and how to use a commercial dishwasher.The management there was good and they were always in control and knew what they were doing. My co-workers were great to work with and we all worked well as a team. The hardest part of the job was was having no time for a break. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer service.
Pros
meeting customers
Cons
short breaks
productive and fun
Volunteer Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 February 2016
tyoicaly i would carry 50 plates at a time to wash
i learned to bust tables and working in a friendly environment i also enjoyed the staff they were kind and freindly