Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company / Poor work/life balance
HR (Current Employee), TorontoAugust 29, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits and retirement plans
Cons: challenging work/life balance
While I am proud to be working for a Canadian Bank, most specifically RBC, I am finding it challenging to maintain a work/life balance due to management's views towards flexible hours.
Fast Paced environment
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioAugust 27, 2014
Pros: time flies
High Prodcutive
Fast Paced
Mulit tasking
Fun Place
Great people
Junior IT Auditor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2014
Pros: lots of team building events
Cons: no cons
The Management is great and they are very respective of their new hires. Typical day at work is working on the assisted audit, meeting clients. It is a great opportunity to learn about different professions.
fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Dieppe, NBAugust 24, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: salary
I love working at RBC serving the clients, co-workers are amazing to be around and lot's of laughter.

The most important thing I have learned is to work as a team and that there is never no stupid question.

My most enjoyable part of my job is helping client's and seeing them leave wit a smile, that just makes my day.
Senior HP Nonstop Developer_Base24 Classic
Senior Technical System Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 21, 2014
➢ Development, business analysis, design engineering, software implementation/installation management, development management, software installation, user testing, and client training.
Fast-paced, and fun enviornment
Fraud Agent (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 30, 2014
On a daily basis, I would have to report and communicate with my managers and supervisor. I have dealt with customers personal bank accounts, and helped them secure it. My main task was to multitask between looking over counterfeit cheques and inform the clients on what has transpired. I have enjoyed working with my follow co-workers as well as the – more... management team. – less
Fun, fast paced work environment.
Senior Fraud Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: 24/7 work environment
Working for RBC has taught me how to work in a team environment as well as how to be self managed. There was always lots of things happening at once, so being able to multitask, work under pressure to avoid fraud losses, and meet strict deadlines was part of a typical day for me. Management and co-workers were like family; we always helped each other – more... out and did whatever we had to do to get the job done properly. The hardest part of the job was having live fraud happening where the bank was losing lots of money and it was my responsibility to find the point of compromise to minimize losses as quickly as possible.I enjoyed stopping the fraudsters in their tracks and seeing them be unsuccessful because of my hard work to fight fraud. I will miss RBC. My wife has accepted a role at St. George's Hospital and that is why we moved to the UK. I am Canadian but also obtained my Italian citizenship. I feel that my outstanding customer service skills, banking experience, and outgoing personality will make me an asset to any team/work place I join. I'm looking for a fun work environment where I can learn a lot, have room for growth and at the end of the day love the people that I work with and be happy and proud of my career. – less
A well orgazined workplace with nice management
Receptionist (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 22, 2014
Pros: we have pot-luck once in a while
Cons: there was no parking for the staffs so i have to pay $12 a day almost 20 years ago
My major duty is data entry; the real time tradings of mutual fund, T-bill, GIC and bonds, etc. needed to be input into the database. I have to be very cautious in keying because the trades involved big amount of money; if one trade is wrong, the over night interests is an awful sum of money, although the bank will write it off.
The management is pretty – more... much well established and is renowned in the same industry.
There was many levels of co-workers, so everyone has to be very careful with their own job so that the next level of co-workers won't make mistakes.
The hardest part of the job is we have to pay extra caution in doing our job.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we knew that there was no mistakes were made at the end of the day. – less
Productive with amazing co-workers
Customer Service Representative/Central Tellar (Current Employee), Lethbridge,ABJuly 21, 2014
Pros: positive attitudes
Cons: not knowing everything.
The people are amazing and always positive. There is something new to learn everyday. The open door policy of the management is especially appealing to me. I would say the hardest part of the job is knowing I will never know everything there is always something new to learn. The people by far are the most enjoyable part, both co-workers and clientele – more... make the day very interesting. – less
Toxic work enviroment
Financial consultant (Current Employee), MississaugaJuly 21, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: toxic work enviroment
Very thankful for the opportunity and the experience!
Big corporation, small people!
Excellent Company.
Investment Specialist (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 18, 2014
Pros: excellent opportunities for growth.
Cons: none.
RBC is a great company to work for. Great Managers, colleagues and great opportunity to grow with the company.
Productive and Fun
Manager Client Care (Current Employee), Calgary ABJuly 18, 2014
Great Daily goals and great invironment. I enjoyed alot from hiring and recruiting new staff as well and coaching and training.
I naturally enjoy working with clients and team-members
Account Manager (Current Employee), South west calgaryJuly 15, 2014
Recommend strategies that clients can use to reach their financial goals and objectives
Quickly assessing customer needs and behaviours to identify cross-selling opportunities.
Create a positive client experience by understanding and meeting service transaction needs quickly, professionally and accurately.
organize activities to motivated co-workers
Coach & license insurance advisor (Current Employee), montrealJuly 14, 2014
I learned about: negociation, confilct management, improve skill, technical sales, project management
Productive and fun place to work
LEARNING COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexibility and tele-commuting
Cons: for contractors it is difficult to get permanent
Every day is different and that is something which is pretty amazing to me. I was always constantly learning new things about my role, the projects I was working on and the people I worked with. The department I am in is full of some of the most dedicated, hard working individuals who had the same goal in mind; striving for excellence in everything – more... we did. It helped me push myself hard and fostered great working relationships with all I interacted with. – less
Excellent training and customer service company
Accounts Services Representative (Former Employee), Sechelt, BCJuly 11, 2014
RBC has an excellent online training program. It is continuous and they encourage you to continue your education within the company.
Project Management
IT Project Manager / Development Lead (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 5, 2014
Excellent environment
Very Professional
Good Salary

Everyone made me very welcome
enjoyed being part of the bank team
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: positive and professional work environment
Cons: job security i did not receive a job
A typical day at work would start at 9am and finish at noon. I learned a lot to the point that I received my own badge and worked as a teller on my own. This meant a lot to me, as most co-op students do't actually get a chance to work independently. Management was amazing, my manager was always there when I needed him and he always made sure that everything – more... was going smoothly. Co-workers were great, although I did not really connect with them personally as they were all much older than me. The hardest part of the job was leaving, I got really comfortable with the work environment and I have always visioned myself to work for a bank. Sadly I did not receive a job as I was under the legal age (18). The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the professional work environment, positive management and co-workers. In addition, I have been trying really hard and applying to various branches for a teller position but I have not heard from anyone yet. – less
Great Company, Bad Job
Banking Advisor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 26, 2014
RBC does everything to make you proud to work for RBC. Appreciation days, occasional free lunches, fundraisers, dress-down weeks, etc. Many of the benefits of working at RBC are the result of treating their employees kind of like kindergarten students; petty attempts to make themselves look as caring and progressive as possible. It was appreciated, – more... because I'd rather work in a place like that then in a company that makes no effort to make me happy.

With that being said, RBC is very strict about smaller details that can become very annoying. For example, my lunch break length is down to the minute with zero flexibility. If I call in sick, I have to provide a filled out form from the doctor, a doctors note describing the exact same thing, and then fill out even more paper work when Im back to work. There's little to no variety in the position either. I just sit and answer calls for 10 hours.

So basically, RBC is a great company, but the job is terrible. Is it worth it? depends on the type of person you are. If you're okay with doing the same thing every day with no variation to just make a paycheck and live your weekends, its great. If you're the type of person who looks for variation, independence, and a job doing something different that matters to you, then it isn't. unfortunately, i fall into the latter category. Getting yelled at by customers because they can't keep track of their finances is difficult to have pride for. If you're just working for a good paycheck, benefits, lots of perks and decent hours, this is the place for you. – less
sales! sales! sales!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
Pros: none that i can think of...
Cons: toxic work environment
A typical day at work included awkward exchanges from 'lifers' who hated their jobs. If I needed help, I was often greeted by hostility from my coworkers. More often than not, my fellow coworkers would not help me.

There was constant pressure from my immediate manager as well as the branch manager to reach the weekly sales goals. If I fell short of – more... the sales goal, even by less than 1%, I endured a weekly 'bullying', I mean coaching session. During one particular session, after being with the company for only three months, I was bluntly told I am bringing the team down with my poor numbers. Not a very good approach to encourage me to try harder and do better.

Furthermore, I found immense pressure to not let clients stand in line for more than 30 seconds, which was the hardest part of the job for me. I felt constantly rushed to finish filing papers, count money, and look for sales opportunities that often someone would call the next client up to my wicket before I was ready. I was so scared of making mistakes or not being able to use the restroom facilities if needed.

Another hard part of the job was not having a friendly work environment. I love to laugh and make jokes. But, I found that if my manager or branch manager saw any tellers talking about anything non-RBC related, they were quickly broken up by being told to do some unnecessary task or blatantly told to stop talking to each other and focus on clients. This might be understandable to some, BUT the branch was empty!!! This might explain the cold reception I got when I joined the team.

For me, after 10 months, there was no enjoyable part of the job. – less