Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Fun
Manager Client Care (Current Employee), Calgary ABJuly 18, 2014
Great Daily goals and great invironment. I enjoyed alot from hiring and recruiting new staff as well and coaching and training.
I naturally enjoy working with clients and team-members
Account Manager (Current Employee), South west calgaryJuly 15, 2014
Recommend strategies that clients can use to reach their financial goals and objectives
Quickly assessing customer needs and behaviours to identify cross-selling opportunities.
Create a positive client experience by understanding and meeting service transaction needs quickly, professionally and accurately.
organize activities to motivated co-workers
Coach & license insurance advisor (Current Employee), montrealJuly 14, 2014
I learned about: negociation, confilct management, improve skill, technical sales, project management
Productive and fun place to work
LEARNING COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2014
Pros: flexibility and tele-commuting
Cons: for contractors it is difficult to get permanent
Every day is different and that is something which is pretty amazing to me. I was always constantly learning new things about my role, the projects I was working on and the people I worked with. The department I am in is full of some of the most dedicated, hard working individuals who had the same goal in mind; striving for excellence in everything – more... we did. It helped me push myself hard and fostered great working relationships with all I interacted with. – less
Excellent training and customer service company
Accounts Services Representative (Former Employee), Sechelt, BCJuly 11, 2014
RBC has an excellent online training program. It is continuous and they encourage you to continue your education within the company.
Project Management
IT Project Manager / Development Lead (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 5, 2014
Excellent environment
Very Professional
Good Salary

Everyone made me very welcome
enjoyed being part of the bank team
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: positive and professional work environment
Cons: job security i did not receive a job
A typical day at work would start at 9am and finish at noon. I learned a lot to the point that I received my own badge and worked as a teller on my own. This meant a lot to me, as most co-op students do't actually get a chance to work independently. Management was amazing, my manager was always there when I needed him and he always made sure that everything – more... was going smoothly. Co-workers were great, although I did not really connect with them personally as they were all much older than me. The hardest part of the job was leaving, I got really comfortable with the work environment and I have always visioned myself to work for a bank. Sadly I did not receive a job as I was under the legal age (18). The most enjoyable part of the job was being part of the professional work environment, positive management and co-workers. In addition, I have been trying really hard and applying to various branches for a teller position but I have not heard from anyone yet. – less
Great Company, Bad Job
Banking Advisor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 26, 2014
RBC does everything to make you proud to work for RBC. Appreciation days, occasional free lunches, fundraisers, dress-down weeks, etc. Many of the benefits of working at RBC are the result of treating their employees kind of like kindergarten students; petty attempts to make themselves look as caring and progressive as possible. It was appreciated, – more... because I'd rather work in a place like that then in a company that makes no effort to make me happy.

With that being said, RBC is very strict about smaller details that can become very annoying. For example, my lunch break length is down to the minute with zero flexibility. If I call in sick, I have to provide a filled out form from the doctor, a doctors note describing the exact same thing, and then fill out even more paper work when Im back to work. There's little to no variety in the position either. I just sit and answer calls for 10 hours.

So basically, RBC is a great company, but the job is terrible. Is it worth it? depends on the type of person you are. If you're okay with doing the same thing every day with no variation to just make a paycheck and live your weekends, its great. If you're the type of person who looks for variation, independence, and a job doing something different that matters to you, then it isn't. unfortunately, i fall into the latter category. Getting yelled at by customers because they can't keep track of their finances is difficult to have pride for. If you're just working for a good paycheck, benefits, lots of perks and decent hours, this is the place for you. – less
sales! sales! sales!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 25, 2014
Pros: none that i can think of...
Cons: toxic work environment
A typical day at work included awkward exchanges from 'lifers' who hated their jobs. If I needed help, I was often greeted by hostility from my coworkers. More often than not, my fellow coworkers would not help me.

There was constant pressure from my immediate manager as well as the branch manager to reach the weekly sales goals. If I fell short of – more... the sales goal, even by less than 1%, I endured a weekly 'bullying', I mean coaching session. During one particular session, after being with the company for only three months, I was bluntly told I am bringing the team down with my poor numbers. Not a very good approach to encourage me to try harder and do better.

Furthermore, I found immense pressure to not let clients stand in line for more than 30 seconds, which was the hardest part of the job for me. I felt constantly rushed to finish filing papers, count money, and look for sales opportunities that often someone would call the next client up to my wicket before I was ready. I was so scared of making mistakes or not being able to use the restroom facilities if needed.

Another hard part of the job was not having a friendly work environment. I love to laugh and make jokes. But, I found that if my manager or branch manager saw any tellers talking about anything non-RBC related, they were quickly broken up by being told to do some unnecessary task or blatantly told to stop talking to each other and focus on clients. This might be understandable to some, BUT the branch was empty!!! This might explain the cold reception I got when I joined the team.

For me, after 10 months, there was no enjoyable part of the job. – less
Diverse
Account Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 18, 2014
Supportive Management.
Provides training and helping employees to succeed.
High security for a vulnerable business.
Receiving and Processing Clerk (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 16, 2014
Pros: farewell gift and acknowledgement of a job well done.
Cons: heavy work and making sure everything balanced.
Arriving early to help open the building.
Unlocking the vault.
Receiving work packages from the armoured cars, in preparation to handing out to the other workers.
Receiving back the finished work from the workers.
Posted bill payments and put holds on accounts.
Management and workers worked side by side.
The hardest part of the job was lifting some – more... of the depository bags because of the amount of coin that was received, and remembering the combinations to the vault and safes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making friends with my co-workers. – less
The colleagues that I work with coupled with wonderful clients make it a great day!
Account Manager - Personal Banking (Current Employee), Aurora, ONJune 10, 2014
Pros: 1) wonderful clients, 2) i also build a re pour with the more challenging clients. that is a bonus in my eyes.
In my opinion it is very important to enjoy who I am working with. Together we deal with the day to day challenges and help one another. This in turn creates a positive environment.
I deal with many clients on a daily basis. It is a learning experience for me and keeps it fresh. I enjoy finding out new things about my clients and together coming up – more... with solutions on managing their money. – less
Serious job but secured
Bank Teller (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 30, 2014
Pros: good income
Cons: long working hours
Working at Royal Bank of Canada was such an experience to have. Great stuff and management.
Very good
Project Lead (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 28, 2014
Working here for last 4 years was great. Worked on most challenging projects which ever came across. Great support from the management and the business team.
Hectic environment
Trade Support Officer (Former Employee), TorontoMay 23, 2014
Pros: friendly co workers
Cons: long hours, can hardly take a break
My co workers are great. Energy is always high. The job was rewarding and never and boring place to work. Everything has to be done fast pace and accurately.
Great place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 20, 2014
Wonderful place to work at, you feel appreciated. great Managment.
Highly supportive working environment
Temp (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMay 15, 2014
Pros: fun times for team bonding
Cons: short term contract
All resources for a successful working environment is adequately provided. Assistance from supervisor is uninhibited. Only snag is that the job was for a very short period.
Fast Pace with Fun Co-workers
Bank Advisor (Current Employee), Montreal QuebecMay 9, 2014
Pros: co-workers, hours
Cons: limited power to help some clients
A typical day at RBC, is taking anywhere between 25 to 40 calls from clients that range from 2 minutes to an hour in length. You are helping clients troubleshoot problems with their online banking or problems with their accounts, but mostly helping them make sure they have the best banking products to meet their needs.

I have learned how to handle – more... a wide range of client types; from the upset business person in a rush, to the elderly grandparent who has all the time in the world. I also have learned how to self-motivate to make sure I am reaching my potential in regards to sale quotas.

The management at RBC is there to help and guide you through your career with the bank. They have an open door policy, which means they are always available to help you with any questions you need.

The best part of RBC are the people you work with. Sometimes you get that one call from a client that just pushes all your buttons and you reached your limit, but not to worry cause the person next to you will be more then willing to listen to you and even cheer you up with a joke or two to make you forget about that bad call.

Hardest part of the job is sometimes not being able to do anything for the client cause the situation is out of mine or the banks hands.

Best part of the job is when you help the client realize how easy banking is and when they learn how to do something themselves. – less
I worked on different projects that's why I learned new things everytime
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee), 320 Front St West, toronto , onMay 6, 2014
It is good place to work. We worked in group. It was an enjoyable project. Co-workers were helpfull and like a family members. There was no presure
RBC Bankruptcy Dept. was very busy and team oriented.
Bankruptcy Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMay 3, 2014
Pros: enjoyed team breakfasts at least once a month. this was for team building and moral.
Cons: sometimes working overtime to keep up with volume.
A typical day in Bankruptcy (RBC) existed of reviewing Bankruptcy Documents from Trustee's and Lawyers. Review client information and take appropriate action to ensure there is no further losses to RBC.
Learned how easy is is for people to over extend themselves financially, without realising consequences.
Worked with a great team. We shared ideas and – more... information.
Got along well together.
Management very supportive and open to new ideas.
Hardest part of the job was speaking and coaching distraught customers.
Most enjoyable part of my job was making customers feel comfortable and not alone in their situation. – less