Ross Dress For Less
2,374 reviews

Ross Dress For Less Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fairly decent place to work!
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Gresham, ORMarch 8, 2015
Pros: long breaks, college tuition, easy to move up, flexible schedule
Cons: busy during holidays, mean customers
Retail always has it's ups and downs and you definitely experience all of them when working for Ross. I really liked a lot of the people I worked with. I enjoyed all the discounts on merchandise and I really, really like the management at my location. You get a pay raise every year which was nice and you can also work your way up. They also offer rewards and school grants and such which is super cool. They also have 15 minute breaks instead of the legally required 10 minute ones, and you depending on the length of your stay, you ge more breaks which are spread out evenly and really help your shift flow well. Lastly, they're very willing to work with your schedule and also let you get time off.

What I didn't like is the certain type of clientele that would come in yelling at you and demanding this and that, thinking that you're better than you and spitting in your face about the customer always being right. The corporation has strict rules in place on how to handle theft, fraudulent returns and upset, angry and violent customers and sometimes they aren't always the best rules or way to handle something for a certain situation which gets frustrating, but you just have to deal with it.

Other than that, it's actually a good company to work for.
Productive and encouraging workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCMarch 7, 2015
Pros: 20% off purchases, 40% off three times a year.
A typical day at Ross is very face paced. There are many different positions to work, such as dressing room, jewelry, and cashier. I learned what it was like to deal with very, very mean customers. The management was an awesome team! They were very encouraging and really cared about your well-being. The co-workers were also the same way. It was a very great environment to work in. The most stressful part of the job was having to recover the store. It wasn't hard, just a lot of items would be out of place and thrown all over the ground from the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be leaving a smile on the customer's face.
ok
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bensalem, PAMarch 7, 2015
I would help customers find what they would be looking for. Deal with customers over the phone. Unload the truck when that would come in.
Great Place to Work For
Mobile Store Protection Specialist (Former Employee), San Jose, CAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: job security, flexible schedule
Cons: lack of authority, drama
Ross was an enjoyable and rewarding place for me to be employed by. As a Store Protection Specialist (SPS), my job was to make reduce theft by providing customer service to suspicious customers. The job was frustrating at times as there didn't seem to be much I could do besides greet customers who I thought were stealing. All my coworkers were great and easy to get along with, though there sometimes was drama between the Associates.
Very flexible and interesting environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 5, 2015
Pros: very flexible schedules, discounts, fun co workers, great benefits
Cons: gets messy quickly, management sometimes slacks
This is the first job I've ever had that I actually enjoyed going into. When I started, they were very flexible and understandable.Since Ross is a fairly popular store, we have many customers, which means many messes. 75% of an average workers day is straightening and cleaning up. It makes time pass by quickly, however it can be slow at times. When working the dressing rooms, there isn't much to do. You cannot leave for a long period of time, because the customers have to wait on you. It does get boring after an hour just standing there, and checking in customers into fitting rooms.
Fun place to work
Stock Room Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 5, 2015
I enjoy my current position, but I do not make much money. I started part time hear while I was finishing college. It is a good transition job until you can get your real career off the ground.
Productive place to work
JR. Business Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 5, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: no sick days. expects you to work from home if you can't make it to the office.
I learned a lot from management. They taught me advanced excel skills. The company is flexible. They hire within the company.
Manager
Frontend Supervisor (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 5, 2015
Very hard to tell manager important things due to confidentiality being leaked through the company. Co-workers were great and some work more than others.
Ross
Customer Service Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Prattville, ALMarch 5, 2015
Pros: great staff, clean environment, flexibilty
Cons: minimum wage, fluctuating hours
While working at Ross I was able to learn and improve many skills that I can now apply within my job field. The staff worked as a team and worked diligently to create an organized and comfortable work environment. The job also offered versatility as it allowed employees to work in different positions and learn how to be effective within the company overall.
Fast paced environment with little to no training.
Stocker/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 3, 2015
Pros: we get donuts sometimes and employees are nice.
Cons: no training, and miss breaks and luches sometimes.
When I started I was trained by computer but that was just how to treat customers. My managers didn't train me or put me through really any training. I quickly picked up on how everything works and started training people that still don't know what they're doing and just flat out new people that have had no help. A typical day is a busy day full of stocking and pleasing the flood of people coming in. I do enjoy the people there, they're all very nice just not too helpful. It is busy so it's understandable. The hardest part is dealing with customers that don't understand that we don't have anymore of the item that's on the floor!
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Hattiesburg msMarch 3, 2015
Pros: great people
Cons: short breaks
Days are very productive and fun. I learned a lot about maintaining and improving my patience towards other people. My coworkers are very fun and excellent to work with. The hardest part of the job when days get very busy, its hard to keep everything in place and time. The most enjoyable part of the job is relationship between me and team members are very great.
Most horrible working conditions as far as slavery goes.
Cashier, Sales Floor, Fitting Room (Current Employee), San Carlos, CAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: easy employment to obtain for my cause
Cons: short handed, small hourly pay for what ross needs/wants you to do
I'm on SSDI & needed extra employment fast. This was easy to get.

Short handed always, work you as a slave, people don't show up for work, people don't comeback after working one to two days.
Shifts are too short - 25 hours maximum weekly. If pay was even $1.50 per hour more would help. When you're trying to make ends meet for reasons such as mine prefer 30 hours per week needed. Due to work requirements couldn't handle more.
fun heavy lifting
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: good coworkers
Cons: gossip and drama
this job was fun we had to do a lot of bending stooping and a lot of climbing. my coworkers were outstanding as well as management. the thing I enjoyed about working here was we all got along very well
Good job in retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: n/a
This is a great job to have in retail. The benefits are good if you choose to get them The discount on the merchandise is also a good thing. the work environment is good.
Energetic and fast paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FlFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: team environment, fun, no breaks because it was busy
Cons: no breaks because it was busy
The store I worked at was very energized with a positive, high-intense work environment. Management and staff meshed well together, I got along with the people who were there when I was there. If I could work with that team again I would.
Bare minimum
Area Supervisor (Former Employee), Cumming, GAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: wonderful associates, discount
Cons: aggressive dm hostile attitude
Overall it's the easiest job on the planet. Always a pleasure to work with associates. All were great people! The hardest thing about the job was being understaffed - daily customer complaints about it. Experiencing a very aggressive DM. He showed his true colors in front of the store on the sales floor. Hostile attitude. Very unprofessional.
Work place is okay
Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: good co workers
Cons: bad breaks
I work for ross dress for less and i work in many departments. I wass loss prevention for the day a few times and also did the fitting room as well but this store lacks communication between both employer and employee. They need to set more ground rules you can get away with pretty much anything i know i saw it all.
A Retail Workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (part-time) (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: lunch hour(s) and great management
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work for Ross Dress For Less is fun and productive. The work wasn't too hard for anyone; in fact, it was pretty reasonable for employees to get all of their work done for the day during his/her work shift. While working there I learned that everything has to be done with patients and in an orderly fashion. You can not rush transactions because you may miss an item that has to be scanned for purchasing. The management and co-workers were very nice, and were always there to lend a helping hand to me, if needed. The hardset part of working in retail is trying to put a smile on a customer's face if they're having a bad day. The most enjoyable part of working in retail is connecting with the customers when helping them find what they're are looking for when they come in.
not a bad place for your first job
sales associate (Current Employee), san antonio texasFebruary 26, 2015
its a good working environment you learn to grow as a person dealing with customer service your thrown challenges daily.
Great place for high school students
Loss Prevention (Current Employee), Alabaster, ALFebruary 26, 2015
Simple job. great for high school students, teachs the basics of a job, but it does get a little to personal but it might have been the personalities working there

About Ross Dress For Less

Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes – Read more

Ross Dress For Less Photos