Ross Dress For Less
2,809 reviews

Ross Dress For Less Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to shop at for cool deal
cashier (Former Employee), gilroy,caAugust 19, 2015
IT was fun, different managers came and went, time went by fast because it was so busy. helped awesome customers. had fun pricing all the new merchandise that came in.
Unfairness, no complete training
Area Supervisor of Operations (Current Employee), Texarkana, TXAugust 18, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: all
I have never worked for a job that does not follow thru with training any of their employees. I start this job in December of 2014 and was suppose to go to training within 2 weeks of starting and it took them 5 months to finally send me to training and it was suppose to be 4 weeks long and I only got 2 weeks of training. And during the 5 months that I did not go to training you would figure the store manager would have trained me on some of the things, but she instead was showing another Area Supervisor how to do my job instead of me. I believe there should be team work between all managers but there is so much favoritism in that store that all the other employees even see it and end up quitting because of it and the lack of training for all employees. That is why I am looking for another job.
South st louis ross`
Customer (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 18, 2015
mainly was behind cash wrap where I would perform great customer service, and return items or do go backs. When opening the store would help set the cash drawers and make sure workplace was presentable.
Horrible work place
Cashier (Current Employee), San Pedro, CAAugust 18, 2015
Friendly coworkers. rude customers, terrible management. Terrible pay. Discounts are nice. Not rewards no employee parties.
ross
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Liberty, MOAugust 17, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: none
The staff are professional and supportive of new employees. Great Buddy system for training. Flexible scheduling based on Associate needs.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Mooresville, NCAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Discount, 3 times a year double discount, breaks often
Cons: Managers are the only one's with full time hours and benefits
This job has given me the ability to feel more comfortable working around a lot of people. Every customer gives you a different experience. The people are great to work with. The managers are great and understanding.
Great Company
Store Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia PaAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Salary
Cons: Work life balance
Growing company with tons of advancement. Some stores are not in greatest of neighborhoods which can lead to a unsafe work environment.
Fun part-time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Broken Arrow, OKAugust 17, 2015
Worked here part-time as a Sales Associate. Loved working on the register, and keeping the store nice and clean. Enjoyed all the customers that came to Ross everyday, there were some odd balls here and there, but I enjoyed their company.
At Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Co-Workers
Cons: None!
Typical day at work is always busy helping customers while trying to do what your supposed to do. What I learned was always work well and try to improve on your own work skills even though you think its good. Management is nice and I like them, you can always go to them when needed help. Co-workers are great people and you get to know them all the same as others and are a good team. The hardest part of the job is learning something your not to sure about but still have to work at always learning something new. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers and just the work place itself and keeping it clean.
Very little advancement-small minded work group
Logistics Coordinatoe (Former Employee), Fort MillAugust 16, 2015
Ross is probably a good company but the group in Fort Mill is sourced from very small towns and are small minded. No diversity.
Over worked and under paid
Area Supervisor (Current Employee), Independence, MOAugust 16, 2015
The turn over rate is horrible the managers are lazy and they don't care about their employee's. They never have enough staff scheduled.
What a daily mess!
Store Protection Specialist (Former Employee), Naperville, ILAugust 16, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: managment, busy, messy
This company does not care about employees or work ethics. Management changing every two months because none of the workers can stand the horrible environment and stress. The SPS position was never needed therefore making workers feel worth less.
Enjoyable Atomosphere
Work one day a week as Markdown Associate (Current Employee), Bastrop, TXAugust 16, 2015
A good first job for someone
MOD+ (Current Employee), houston txAugust 16, 2015
Pros: store manager
Cons: ross process
Fun place to work the ross process on the other hand isnt very well thought out. Good opportunity for growth but the whole corporate view they have on the company labels it as a thrift store.
Poor company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Southern United StatesAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Decent full time benefits, stock purchase option
Cons: Poor training, no teamwork, poor pay and hours, no part time benefits, bad scheduling, stressful environment
Although prior years at Ross showed loyalty to employees, budget cuts within the company have reduced it to a bottom line over employee welfare environment, which is reflected in its turnover percentage (115% company turnover for 2014). Part time employees are given an hour cap of 25 hours per week, are told in interviews that they will be given an average of 16-18 hours per week but will usually only be scheduled 9-13 hours per week. Payroll cuts will result in hours being cut even lower, especially during busy weekends and holidays as the company attempts to maximize profit by short staffing the stores while putting pressure on management teams to perform as thought they have a full staff, creating a nonstop atmosphere of stress and fear. District leaders will put pressure on certain members of management to "watch" other leaders and report on their activity, in two stores a district manager gave his personal cell number to an hourly associate and told him to watch and report the management team's activity. If you are the manager chosen to spy and report to the district manager and you do not comply, you will be systematically pushed out of the company. They will even make up a hidden rule if they have to. This is not a company that values team building and team work, but rather fosters an atmosphere of paranoia and hostility, especially between members of management. Hearsay is employed rather than following proper HR protocol.HR model is outdated and despite advertising an "open door policy", all information you give is ultimately used against you, confidentiality does – more... not exist. Threats and intimidation tactics are often employed to keep members of leadership team in line - DM visits are unstructured and feedback is not consistent from store to store but is rather reflective of the DM's personal feelings about management staff. Part time moral is often very low - the company recently raised starting pay to 9 dollars per hour but did not raise the payroll budget, so part time hours were cut to compensate for the raise in pay, and those with tenure did not receive a retroactive raise. Essentially, the company attempts to market itself as a benefactor who values internal talent and development while the reality is more of a value to those who can meet the bottom line and adhere to the company score card the best, and those that make too much money or have been there too long are going to be weeded out systematically in order to save money. Employee retention is definitely not valued. Training is a joke. New employees are given two and a half hours of orientation (this is what management is given in payroll dollars for training), then immediately scheduled to work and paired with a "buddy trainer" (ie fellow associate) during a regular work shift so they have to be trained while being expected to perform. – less
Unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee), Hanford CAAugust 15, 2015
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: if you were a cashier you were pretty much doing EVERYTHING.
The store manager was very rude and unprofessional. She would put you down in front of customers and co-workers. The hours are absolutely terrible. Over working during holidays and any other time of the year you can receive 23 hours one week and 4 the next. UNRELIABLE.
I loved working there.
Front End Supervisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Magnolia, TXAugust 14, 2015
Pros: Easy, Fun
Cons: Salary, Hours
As Front End Supervisor my day consisted of greeting customers, and managing the purchases/returns/phone calls/etc...Management was driven but friendly, hardest part of the job would be the difficult customers but our amazing managers handled them, most enjoyable part would be my lovely coworkers.
Its an ok company
HR Assistant (Former Employee), Perris, CAAugust 14, 2015
Pros: environment good
Cons: need more benefits
Needs a bit more work on the agency they use to recruit associates. The benefits offered need more work. They need to have better benefits and a bit more of a pay.
Excellent
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Henderson, NVAugust 14, 2015
I enjoy working with people and i enjoy being around people, my bubbly personality made it so much better for me to be there. I Love working
Decent work environment
Retail Associate (Current Employee), TexasAugust 14, 2015
Pros: 20% discount (excluding electronics), 40% discount twice a year, health benefits if you're full time
Cons: Depends on your location, but management and rude customers
A typical day would consist of maintaining the store (which gets extremely messed up at my location), running the fitting room, running racks of clothes from the fitting room, doing run backs for the cashiers every now and then, helping customers, running the register, and sometimes working in the stock room. You wouldn't do all of this in one day, but each day, you may have a different task to do.

I wouldn't say that I've learned anything new in this position that I didn't know already from previous experience in retail. The job isn't hard, but it gets frustrating sometimes trying to keep the store clean when customers throw things over the racks and on the floor right beside you when they see that you're trying to clean up. That is the most aggravating thing about the job, especially hearing the phrase "it's your job to clean up after me" from rude customers. I had a great set of coworkers from all different backgrounds who really made coming to work a little easier and more fun.

Management is another story. The store and assistant managers really don't do much unless the district manager is there. They rarely come out of the office when there's no one there to supervise them. They say that they have soooooo much paperwork to do when they're really just sitting in the office texting on their phones (I've witnessed it far too many times). There are other managers who are actually out on the floor doing their job, just not the two main managers. This is just my experience, so you may have a better set at the location where you work.

About Ross Dress For Less

Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes – Read more

Ross Dress For Less Photos