Ross Dress For Less
2,321 reviews

Ross Dress For Less Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
No opportunity for advancement!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Layton, UTFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: its a job
Cons: short breaks, low pay
It can't get much worse than this. It's great if you never want to make more than minimum wage with poor management. They're all about trying to make you feel good. It feels so fake when they don't pay you properly. The wage will never raise, unless you become a manager. They are obsessed with rushing you through customers that you are unable to give proper service. You are timed on how fast you are with each customer. Better off working in fast food!
Productive and fun workplace with paid breaks
Area Supervisor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: associate appreciation, employee assistance program
Cons: no part-time benefits
Ross Dress for Less is an equal opportunity employer with many opportunities for advancement with the company. The store culture is phenomenal and all the associates work together to provide an outstanding shopping experience.
Productive and Organized
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 20, 2015
Ross is very productive and the employees are hard working, very well managed and great to work with! Some customers are hard to please but I still greet everyone politely and with respect.
Fast paced work environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Tamuning, GuamFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: 20% discount
Cons: temp. less than 20 hours per week.
I learned how to use the cash register which I found to be very easy! It is a very fast paced work place but unfortunately my co-workers never seem to stay the same. They are constantly hiring new people which I constantly have to learn new names.
Extremely fast paced work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Lawton, OKFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: healthcare, no paid lunchtime
During the time I have worked at Ross, I have learned great customer service skills, how to maintain a clean environment, as well as how to work fast and efficiently.
Because the managers always seemed strict when it came to how fast we work and how well we do our job, I put all my effort into processing items in the stock room, doing an A+ recovery and providing the customers with a fast and friendly check out.
My co-workers were always friendly and helpful. Whenever help was needed, they'd be there to assist me. Moreover, if I ever had trouble with a customer, they would be sure to help me control the situation.
The hardest part of the job was working the stock room. We had to move large, heavy boxes, pull out all of the items placed inside, and process them. We were always on a schedule so we had to move extremely fast. Anyone who wasn't fast enough would be placed in a different position such as, fitting room associate.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping out customers. I love to make sure the customer is satisfied with what they are purchasing and that they know where specific items in the store are.
Decent workplace, good for a second job.
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee), Burlington, WAFebruary 19, 2015
Hardest part of the job is dealing with the favoritism and not getting paid enough for vigorous work. Fast faced environment. Coworkers are generally nice and helpful. Management could use some help but overall, this job has treated me decently.
being creative
Cashier/Stock/ Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee), Oxon Hill, MDFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: working on the cash register
My current job has been wonderful because I get to split my time between creative and organizational tasks. I love having that duality, because when I get stuck on the creative stuff, I can switch gears and do the organizational stuff. It’s nice being able to use both sides of my brain. I also like that my bosses are very effective managers. They understand the importance of hiring good people and then simply clearing the way so their team members can do what they do best with few obstacles.
Review Summary
Sales associate/ Cashier (Former Employee), Westminster, COFebruary 19, 2015
I ended up meeting some of my best friends working there. There was always something to do, organizing clothes, and unloading the truck, fixing clothes.
Good overall
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: a lot of opportunities to move at associate level within company.
Cons: will speak to this if necessary in person but it is only my humble opinion.
Spent years working for them. I will speak to this in person if desired. I worked in almost all operational positions to include tilt tray order fulfillment. I enjoyed my peer interaction at mid level management, also my associates and other associates in contact with.
Hard work-no leadership
Stock Leader Supervisor (Former Employee), Palm Springs, store 1345February 19, 2015
Pros: i learned how to create diffirents ways to get things done faster
Cons: main leader (manager) hasnt had any action plan to get goals
Hard work, I think is a great company, but there is no leadership in the store I am used work,
I love management and lead the team to reach goals
My co-workers always were opened to learn and get all done
Good employees, and great customer service
Sales Associate Full-Time (Current Employee), North Las VegasFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: discount, employees, parties
Cons: not a lot of communication between shifts
A typical day at work would include writing or looking at what I would be doing for the week. Then I would start my first assignment then do any major projects that need to get done. I would run merchandise that was in the stockroom. For the rest of my shift I would be recovering the floor making sure it is clean and easy to shop.
I have learned a lot with this job, retail is a lot different they working for my school. I have learned that you have to maintain a calm demeanor when dealing with customers. I have also learned how to be a manager and appoint other employees tasks and to make sure that they complete them. My co-workers are very easy to get along with. They help me if I ask for some help when doing projects. Now the hardest part of the job is that I would have to re clean an area more than twice in only an hour. There is also the fact that sometimes there are customers that steal and customers that make a simple situation into a major issue. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with people that I get along with. The other employees help make the workplace a great environment for the customers as well as other employees. I also enjoy the customers that are interactive with employees, they would joke around and just be a joy to help.
productive and fun, hard work and labor.
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee), Key West, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: birthday parties, time paid off on anniversaries and great 401k plan.
Cons: short lunch, shortage of staff for amount of work needing to get done.
I had to deal with a verity of different cultures of people and characters. Tourist from all over the world as it was a touristic place.key West in general is a fun little town and Ross was truly the only store in town to find everything for amazing prices.I had to use my languages often, French and Spanish mostly.My bosses were fabulous, I loved all of theme, very real and human people, modern thinking and a great sense of humor.I worked non stop all day, it was very busy, time flied by fast , tremendous amount of people coming in and out of store all day everyday.The pay was not great but the atmosphere compensated for it. I truly enjoyed my time working there.
Productive, and fun place to work
Cashier, Fitting Room and Stock Associate (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: awesome management!
Cons: wish i could get more hours!
At Ross you always have something to do. Time goes by fast and you are never bored! Working in the fitting rooms teaches you organization and well as speed in a fast work environment. Work cash register. Assist customers with returned or exchanged merchandise. Assist customers with fine jewelry merchandise. At the end of work day, run returned items back to sales floor. I gained the knowledge of working in a stockroom. Management is fair. I really love my co-workers. Ross is very demanding. An associate may work more than one work station in day. I enjoy meeting different people every work day and I have a blast with co-workers!
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, great discount, great communication with management team.
Cons: benefits only for management team
Associates are hard workers, friendly, and team players. Great management team, always ready to assist and listen to concerns or requests. Management very reasonable and resolved issues/concerns in a timely manner. Cross training helped me understand how it all comes together for the company. I loved that I was given the opportunity to work in the cash office.
Nice place to work
Area Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta GaFebruary 17, 2015
Every day is a challenge that requires a lot of time as a manager. Not a lot of work life balance. There is a need to be a very passive but committed mgr in the role to run this business.
An Overstock Clothing Store for Overstock Customers
Sales Associate / SPS Officer (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: nice employees, quick to gain responsibilities
Cons: horrible customers, cheap environment, repetitive radio, etc.
Sometimes in your life, you work a job that makes you do so little that you actually realize that you couldn't do "nothing" for the rest of your life; or any amount of time.

Do you like standing at the back of the store? Do you like standing for long periods of time? Do you like staring into space? Do you find joy in counting ceiling/floor tiles? Then the position of Fitting Room Attendant at ROSS Dress for Less is the right job for you. The job is pretty much as previously described; Stand at the back of the store for 4-8 hours waiting for customers to come back and try on clothes or use the bathroom. 85% of your job is doing nothing, 8% is opening the bathroom for people because you have to buzz them in, 5% is counting articles of clothing, letting the customer try them on and then take the articles that they don't want, and then the other 2% is you trying to clean the store or put clothes back before some customer rushes the changing room.

The hardest part of the job is obviously doing nothing. It mind-numbingly awful to do nothing but repeat the words; " Would you like to try those on?" and "Ok, how many do you have?" and "Oh, el baño está ahí." Customers take a close second. Because it's overstock store, the clientele isn't of the highest caliber; poor college kids, immature shoppers with slippery fingers, etc. etc. The entire reason the job exists is to stop people from stealing clothes worth less than the paper scraps they're made of.

Best part of the job is the fellow workers because most of them are just as miserable as you are. A vast majority of the workers were college students and adventurous high schoolers so they tend to be shifted out like clockwork because they all hate the job and want to move to better things. Another good thing is you can be quick to move up the chain and gain responsibilities, but you almost never utilize those skills.
its ok
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Niles, ILFebruary 17, 2015
itsOK ,, easy work ... i started off loving the job but then they couldn't give me enough hours . BUT A GREAT JOB FOR TEENS.......................................................................................................................
Very productive.
Stockroom Associate (Current Employee), Downey, CAFebruary 16, 2015
besides being graveyard, you work in a fast paste, so time goes by fast. not only do you have to put things away, you need to keep area clean.
Great coworker
Area Supervisor - Stockroom Supervisor (Current Employee), Arlington, TXFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: great discount
Cons: understaff, low wages
A typical day at Ross is always busy . The associates that work there are hard workers but very underpaid and always short staffed .
Fast paced environment, good learning experience
sales clerk (Former Employee), La Jolla, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Ross was a great place to build skills relating to retail such as customer service. This was a fast paced environment that taught me to work under pressure and work quickly.

About Ross Dress For Less

Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes – Read more

Ross Dress For Less Photos