Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Slow and painful death
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAMarch 28, 2015
Rosetta Stone is a great company, but it's ran by some really ridiculous people.. Which really paints a negative experience for their employees.
Worst job ever!
Care Agent (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: free pizza, free bagels
Cons: poor pay, management is all a clique
Disclaimer: this review only covers the customer care position. I cannot speak on behalf of other positions in the company.

A typical day involves clocking in and logging in to the phones, 3 or 4 different systems (sales database, knowledge base, crm software, etc) Once ready, you start taking calls and don't stop. While taking calls, you are expected to answer customer emails and assist with customers – more... who choose to chat. If you are a dedicated chat agent, you have to juggle three chats at once. This usually makes for an interesting day. However, it gets old real quick. The same problems usually present themselves at least 5 times a day. Although it can usually be a simple fix, there are rules that will prevent you from truly assisting the customer.

Another thing that is really messed up here is the Q/A scoring. For example, you could have the most irate customer and the most difficult situation and handle it perfectly. However, if you make a data entry problem then that call is considered a fatal. A fatal is the worst score (0%) Your overall livelihood here at Rosetta Stone is your QA score. It doesn't matter how smart or helpful you are to the customers. The score is the only thing that matters. I hav. e seen really good agents get terminated because their scores were not satisfactory. This leads me up to management.

The management here are a bunch of local people who have known each other for years and years. They once took calls, did emails, etc but somehow were selected team leader, supervisor, manager or director. The problem is they did this at least five years ago. Things have drastically changed. They are trying to use modern thought process with their old mentality. It is not working. Since management is a tight group they also bully people for basically thinking outside the box. Management is almost in a meeting of some sorts most of the day. Your next line of help is a team lead. Team leads are usually overworked and burnt out

I could go on and on. If you are a mentally tough person and can handle getting yelled at most of the day by customers go for it. The pay is below average. There are not many jobs in Harrisonburg. At least it might be a good job for someone. However, there is very little chance for advancement outside the customer care area.

If you want to know more: A good review titled "Cleverly disguised as a sweatshop" is 100% accurate as well. – less
Language learning computer software
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: using the software to parctice my foreign language education
Cons: this job was located at a kiosk in the center of a large shopping mall.
Manage product sales and demonstrations
Account for daily financial transactions
Interface with customers, products, and management
Fun work atmosphere, with a great work, family balance
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee), ARAugust 14, 2014
Responsible for tracking and managing customer, institutions and corporate account inquiries and payments. Maintain records and monitor customer’s accounts. Help resolve customers issues with their program and their accounts. Provides outstanding customer service through the phone. While working well independently and with co-workers.
High Energy Produtive Work Place
Bi-lingual Customer Care Agent/Trainer (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: meeting the companies high expectations
Cons: limited career path
I enjoy working at Rosetta Stone in a world class customer care environment. A typical day includes providing customers with solutions regarding returns, exchanges, price adjustments, product usage and assisting customers with light product support. On average I will take 30-40 incoming customer calls in English and Spanish and will resolve approximately 10-20 email inquiries. Our team consists of – more... very talented high energy team members that get along exceptionally well. Our productivity is measured by the number of calls we take, average handle and talk time, firs time resolutions and it is extremely important for us to work as a team to handle the high volume of incoming calls and email inquiries. I enjoy solving issues and maintaining a high level of productivity while providing solutions and options for each and every customer that calls. The hardest part of the position is trying to assist customers that have never used a computer before. I enjoy helping customers and look forward to future opportunities to come utilizing my sales and customer service skills. – less
Nice starter
Language Consultant (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2014
Going into this company will make you stand on your own two feet.
Fun place to work, difficult sales to make
Language Consultant (Former Employee), Brentwood, MOFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: fun product, good support for sales reps
Cons: confusing and redundant paperwork, difficult sales
Rosetta Stone is a fun product, with a better than average sales pitch and very good moral and educational support for their employees. For retail commission sales the pay was higher than average in my area, but the sales goals can be very hard to make. The product, while fun and actually effective, is expensive and quite niche. As with all sales jobs, networking and marketing never really end, but – more... off the clock work isn't required of their sales reps. The best part of the job is getting to use the software, and the employee discount is quite good but doesn't kick in until you have been there for 6 months. The worst part of the job is trying to use their ridiculous, redundant spreadsheets to record your sales and interactions.

Also, they discourage hawking, which is a great thing to see in retail sales and kiosks. – less
Fun company learned another language!
Sales (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NV USAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: learned a language!
A typical day at the Rosetta Stone was generally a solo sales experience with the program. I would be in a center practicing a language and show others how they too could learn a language.
Great company
Teacher (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 5, 2013
I love the flexibility of working for Rosetta Stone. I choose my own hours. The students are great and the staff are very friendly and accommodating.
The Unfortunate Decline of a Once Great Place to Work
Product Developer (Former Employee), HarrisonburgJuly 17, 2013
Pros: the people working on the product (past and present).
Cons: utterly incompetent senior management, no planning, no follow-through on objectives, and no understanding of the business or the products.
Rosetta Stone was once a great place to work. Wonderful coworkers, brilliant developers, interesting challenges, and strong mission. I'm afraid those days have now passed. Now the mission is muddled, there are few people making things of interest, and management seems more interested in flash than substance. Vanishingly few people in product management understand language, language learning, or the education market in general. It is a remarkably frustrating place to work.
wonderful learning enviornment with tough sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 6, 2013
Pros: great commission pay and great hours
Cons: management was not up to par
With Rosetta Stone it was an expensive product to sale and had to find very interesting ways to close customers on a product that cost close to 1000. It was a very fun job because we learned to speak and show different languages to a large customer basis. Hardest part of the job would be the closing techniques to get customers to walk that day with a language set. I learned how to close customers in a suttle but very aggressive way.
Excellent opportunities and ability to learn a language.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Newark, DEJune 10, 2013
Pros: excellent hours, laid back atmosphere and no required dress code.
Cons: horrible management.
Usually started in the morning around 9am. Opened the kiosk and prepared it for the day ahead and the shift following the morning. Engaged daily with customers from many different backgrounds and languages. Gave basic Q&A's on the program and it's abilities and had the customer get hands on with the product.

At the end of the day, we tallied sales and send reports to the regional manager about our sales and customers. Closed roughly around 11pm.

The hardest part was meeting quotas, with a few hundred dollar program; in a place like the mall.

The easiest part was talking to customers, which comes natural.
Great people, inept management
Researcher (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAApril 25, 2013
Pros: people, free bagels on fridays
Cons: poor management, short-sighted decision making
Rosetta Stone is awesome at hiring. They recruited some of the smartest and nicest people I have ever worked with.
However, they suffer from a management team that can't decide what it wants to do, and oh, they want it yesterday. Pay is lower than similar companies, and they often have massive layoffs, after which, they expect the remaining people to do 4x the work for no increase in pay.
Rewarding work helping others to enhance their goals
Former Sales associate (Former Employee), Orlando, FloridaApril 15, 2013
Pros: to learn a language for free at your own pace
Cons: low marketing support for int'l traffic
Set the point of sale to set the best of the traffic by showing how the product can help learning a language the easy and fastest way with no hurdles or even speaking barriers, by ourselves or as a team with our co-workers. Tough times are slow months where marketing should have done a better approach through different channels to leverage the need of learning a new language. It is so rewarding when you see the glowing face of the customer that tells you there is a click between them and the product to close asale the best way.
Where effort equals success
North East Leader (Current Employee), Garden City, NYApril 5, 2013
Pros: flexibility and trust
Cons: bottle neck advancement
Rosetta stone is a company with great company values and treated their employees at all levels fairly well overall. The flexibility of scheduling is unmatched by any other full time inside sales/training careers I've seen.
Great experience
Sales (Current Employee), Sea-Tac International AirportMarch 11, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: pay
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interactions with the customers.
Store Manager / Salesman (Former Employee), Sugar Land, TXMarch 5, 2013
Good experience with a product I believed in. Managing two excellent employees was a good experience.
Retail environment
Store Manager (Former Employee), Victor, NYFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: interaction with people, great co-workers
Cons: no healthcare, little compensation, absent upper management
As a store manager, I would be responsible for the opening and closing of the store. During this time I learned how to maintain an ordered establishment, train employees on job tasks, and get good face to face sales experience. The management was located in different states all over the country. That being said, it was difficult to get a hold of anyone for questions. My employees were awesome, often traveling from far, in between school, to help us achieve our monthly sales goals. The hardest part was having the customer make a purchase on their first visit, but we often had return buyers. The most enjoyable part was working in a team environment to accomplish the mission. To sell product.
Company with strong core values
Photography Assistant (Current Employee), Harrisonburg, VAJanuary 2, 2013
My work there was always changing since I filled a position that helped many different members of the department I worked in. Great working experience. I felt valued here
Great income potential and the opportunity to learn new languages.
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 29, 2012
Pros: free access to the software, great 401k plan.
Cons: no breaks
A typical day at work involves doing in-store demos, writing emails to prospective customers, using the program to learn languages. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people achieve their language learning goals. The hardest part of the job is the down time that can occur.

About Rosetta Stone

Everything we do at Rosetta Stone revolves around a simple idea: learning a language should be fun, easy and effective. We approach – Read more

Rosetta Stone Photos