Rosetta Stone Employee Reviews

Great company with alot of perks.
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLSeptember 4, 2016
I managed and mentored 4 sales agents under me to meet the standards of selling the product and acquiring a strong customer base.

Rosetta Stone helps people learn a different language, so as employee's, we got the product for free. I learned the best way to sell the product for customers looking to learn a new language.

I was store(kiosk) manager, and the upper management were awesome.

My co-workers were great people who worked hard to sell the product.

Hardest part of my job was the downtime, when the mall would get slow.

Best part was running the demo of out product and seeing a customer learn a few words in the language they are interested in.
Pros
Learning a new language and helping customers to experience the product
Cons
Slow days.
French Managing an American Company in China
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Shanghai , BeijingJuly 14, 2016
Interesting Challenge to manage around 100 collaborators in two location ( shanghai , Beijing ), and different fonctions ( Sale , Marketing , Service, R&D, admin) .

As French even after 9 years in China, the culture difference is still there, working with american management also bring lot of difference . Flexibility and communication are key to succeed in this kind of position.
Pros
American Marketing and processes
Cons
conference call with HQ during the night .
Big Tech Company in a Small Place
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 12, 2016
Rosetta is a good place to work in terms of internal movement, however you must be a self-starter in networking and communication as the communication between departments is cumbersome at best.
Great company
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 24, 2016
I learned a lot during this employment. It helped me build fundamental skills while I was attending college. If you plan to stay in this career path it is a great choice. Many abilities to advance.
Pros
Great work enviorment company care about employees
Cons
Nothing comes to mind
Very rewarding experience.
Education and Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
Very supportive and nurturing environment for students and employees.

Management was supportive and provided the resources needed to help me to be successful.
Pros
variety of work
Cons
Horrible company to work for.
Account Manager- Higher Education (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 23, 2015
There was no honesty during the interview process. Many things were promised and the company did not deliver. Basically this company is not one I would ever recommend.
fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2015
for people that want to travel abroad an to learn the local language there is no better solution to provide for those situations..
Great Working Environment
Accounts Receivable Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 17, 2015
The people I worked with were fantastic. My management team was amazing as well. It's a place you don't dread going to when you wake up.

I had to reconcile accounts, document and record payments that came in. I had to make sure that our Customer Care entered refunds correctly and apply the refund invoice to the payment invoice. I had to challenge charge backs and send documentation to our banks to fight it. When customers would update their credit card, I would have to pull a report and go through each account and change the card attached manually.

I accepted phone calls from other departments when a customer had a billing inquiry about their account.
Pros
Friendly company
Cons
Healthcare, Upper Management changed too often.
Great learning and productive enviornment
QE Manager (Former Employee) –  Stone, ENGJuly 10, 2015
Great learning and productive cycles. implementation of new technology and stacks, good for learning and development as your role grows.
A great american brand going down
Director of Sales and Operations-C&E (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2015
I spent enough time there to realize that RST does not understand language training. They know how to market and sell to consumers, but thats it.New CEO suggestion to improve RST was to not use color copies.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Dont know what they are doing
Slow and painful death
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 28, 2015
Rosetta Stone is a great company, but it's ran by some really ridiculous people.. Which really paints a negative experience for their employees.
Worst job ever!
Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Disclaimer: this review only covers the customer care position. I cannot speak on behalf of other positions in the company.

A typical day involves clocking in and logging in to the phones, 3 or 4 different systems (sales database, knowledge base, crm software, etc) Once ready, you start taking calls and don't stop. While taking calls, you are expected to answer customer emails and assist with customers who choose to chat. If you are a dedicated chat agent, you have to juggle three chats at once. This usually makes for an interesting day. However, it gets old real quick. The same problems usually present themselves at least 5 times a day. Although it can usually be a simple fix, there are rules that will prevent you from truly assisting the customer.

Another thing that is really messed up here is the Q/A scoring. For example, you could have the most irate customer and the most difficult situation and handle it perfectly. However, if you make a data entry problem then that call is considered a fatal. A fatal is the worst score (0%) Your overall livelihood here at Rosetta Stone is your QA score. It doesn't matter how smart or helpful you are to the customers. The score is the only thing that matters. I hav. e seen really good agents get terminated because their scores were not satisfactory. This leads me up to management.

The management here are a bunch of local people who have known each other for years and years. They once took calls, did emails, etc but somehow were selected team leader, supervisor, manager or director. The problem is they did this at least five years ago.
  more... Things have drastically changed. They are trying to use modern thought process with their old mentality. It is not working. Since management is a tight group they also bully people for basically thinking outside the box. Management is almost in a meeting of some sorts most of the day. Your next line of help is a team lead. Team leads are usually overworked and burnt out

I could go on and on. If you are a mentally tough person and can handle getting yelled at most of the day by customers go for it. The pay is below average. There are not many jobs in Harrisonburg. At least it might be a good job for someone. However, there is very little chance for advancement outside the customer care area.

If you want to know more: A good review titled "Cleverly disguised as a sweatshop" is 100% accurate as well.
Pros
free pizza, free bagels
Cons
poor pay, management is all a clique
Language learning computer software
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 4, 2015
Manage product sales and demonstrations
Account for daily financial transactions
Interface with customers, products, and management
Pros
using the software to parctice my foreign language education
Cons
this job was located at a kiosk in the center of a large shopping mall.
Fun work atmosphere, with a great work, family balance
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  ARAugust 14, 2014
Responsible for tracking and managing customer, institutions and corporate account inquiries and payments. Maintain records and monitor customer’s accounts. Help resolve customers issues with their program and their accounts. Provides outstanding customer service through the phone. While working well independently and with co-workers.
High Energy Produtive Work Place
Bi-lingual Customer Care Agent/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2014
I enjoy working at Rosetta Stone in a world class customer care environment. A typical day includes providing customers with solutions regarding returns, exchanges, price adjustments, product usage and assisting customers with light product support. On average I will take 30-40 incoming customer calls in English and Spanish and will resolve approximately 10-20 email inquiries. Our team consists of very talented high energy team members that get along exceptionally well. Our productivity is measured by the number of calls we take, average handle and talk time, firs time resolutions and it is extremely important for us to work as a team to handle the high volume of incoming calls and email inquiries. I enjoy solving issues and maintaining a high level of productivity while providing solutions and options for each and every customer that calls. The hardest part of the position is trying to assist customers that have never used a computer before. I enjoy helping customers and look forward to future opportunities to come utilizing my sales and customer service skills.
Pros
meeting the companies high expectations
Cons
limited career path
Nice starter
Language Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 22, 2014
Going into this company will make you stand on your own two feet.
Fun place to work, difficult sales to make
Language Consultant (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOFebruary 16, 2014
Rosetta Stone is a fun product, with a better than average sales pitch and very good moral and educational support for their employees. For retail commission sales the pay was higher than average in my area, but the sales goals can be very hard to make. The product, while fun and actually effective, is expensive and quite niche. As with all sales jobs, networking and marketing never really end, but off the clock work isn't required of their sales reps. The best part of the job is getting to use the software, and the employee discount is quite good but doesn't kick in until you have been there for 6 months. The worst part of the job is trying to use their ridiculous, redundant spreadsheets to record your sales and interactions.

Also, they discourage hawking, which is a great thing to see in retail sales and kiosks.
Pros
fun product, good support for sales reps
Cons
confusing and redundant paperwork, difficult sales
Fun company learned another language!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV USAJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at the Rosetta Stone was generally a solo sales experience with the program. I would be in a center practicing a language and show others how they too could learn a language.
Pros
learned a language!
Great company
Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2013
I love the flexibility of working for Rosetta Stone. I choose my own hours. The students are great and the staff are very friendly and accommodating.
The Unfortunate Decline of a Once Great Place to Work
Product Developer (Former Employee) –  HarrisonburgJuly 17, 2013
Rosetta Stone was once a great place to work. Wonderful coworkers, brilliant developers, interesting challenges, and strong mission. I'm afraid those days have now passed. Now the mission is muddled, there are few people making things of interest, and management seems more interested in flash than substance. Vanishingly few people in product management understand language, language learning, or the education market in general. It is a remarkably frustrating place to work.
Pros
the people working on the product (past and present).
Cons
utterly incompetent senior management, no planning, no follow-through on objectives, and no understanding of the business or the products.

2.9