Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone Employee Reviews

French Managing an American Company in China
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Shanghai , Beijing14 July 2016
Interesting Challenge to manage around 100 collaborators in two location ( shanghai , Beijing ), and different fonctions ( Sale , Marketing , Service, R&D, admin) .

As French even after 9 years in China, the culture difference is still there, working with american management also bring lot of difference . Flexibility and communication are key to succeed in this kind of position.
Pros
American Marketing and processes
Cons
conference call with HQ during the night .
Great company with alot of perks.
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FL4 September 2016
I managed and mentored 4 sales agents under me to meet the standards of selling the product and acquiring a strong customer base.

Rosetta Stone helps people learn a different language, so as employee's, we got the product for free. I learned the best way to sell the product for customers looking to learn a new language.

I was store(kiosk) manager, and the upper management were awesome.

My co-workers were great people who worked hard to sell the product.

Hardest part of my job was the downtime, when the mall would get slow.

Best part was running the demo of out product and seeing a customer learn a few words in the language they are interested in.
Pros
Learning a new language and helping customers to experience the product
Cons
Slow days.
Supportive and Goal Driven Environment
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WA5 December 2016
My managers are a strong component of my success.

Rosetta Stone is a great company.

The best part of my job is my co workers.

For me the tough part is not being directly connected to the purpose of my job which is to support the language learners in school districts in CA.
Pros
Access to Rosetta Stone
great company to work for paid the bills
Shipping Lead (Former Employee) –  Mount Crawford, VA14 December 2016
Rosetta stone treated us employees fare. I learned how to ship all over the country. gained a lot of experience in shipping and receiving. working for this company improved my communication skills.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
had to work every new years eve til midnight
Fun place to work
Associate Manager, Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA10 November 2016
Rosetta Stone is committed to making sure that learning languages is fun, easy and accessible. The atmosphere is laid back and the teams all combine together to make sure the job gets done.
Loved working here!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA30 September 2016
I grew up with the company with my father working there and have always been passionate about the success of the overall brand. I would recommend working here to anyone who has the opportunity.
Pros
Fast paced and Encouraging environment
Great company
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA24 March 2016
I learned a lot during this employment. It helped me build fundamental skills while I was attending college. If you plan to stay in this career path it is a great choice. Many abilities to advance.
Pros
Great work enviorment company care about employees
Cons
Nothing comes to mind
Retail environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NY15 February 2013
As a store manager, I would be responsible for the opening and closing of the store. During this time I learned how to maintain an ordered establishment, train employees on job tasks, and get good face to face sales experience. The management was located in different states all over the country. That being said, it was difficult to get a hold of anyone for questions. My employees were awesome, often traveling from far, in between school, to help us achieve our monthly sales goals. The hardest part was having the customer make a purchase on their first visit, but we often had return buyers. The most enjoyable part was working in a team environment to accomplish the mission. To sell product.
Pros
interaction with people, great co-workers
Cons
no healthcare, little compensation, absent upper management
Very rewarding experience.
Education and Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ5 February 2016
Very supportive and nurturing environment for students and employees.

Management was supportive and provided the resources needed to help me to be successful.
Pros
variety of work
pay was ok
Language Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta Airport22 May 2012
if you were lucky enough to be on concourse B or E then you were going to do fine but there are 6 kiosks there and you were the only one there i barely had the chance to take a break and if so it was only a 15 minute break..you cant bring your own lunch because of TSA and there is no fridge obviously passengers act like you are not there they will walk right over you and your mostly going to be giving directions..if you hit your average you will get commission. but the next month they will raise your average expectation so you wont get commission that next month.i had to leave.
Pros
chance to get commission
Cons
short breaks no benefits
Great Working Environment
Accounts Receivable Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA17 August 2015
The people I worked with were fantastic. My management team was amazing as well. It's a place you don't dread going to when you wake up.

I had to reconcile accounts, document and record payments that came in. I had to make sure that our Customer Care entered refunds correctly and apply the refund invoice to the payment invoice. I had to challenge charge backs and send documentation to our banks to fight it. When customers would update their credit card, I would have to pull a report and go through each account and change the card attached manually.

I accepted phone calls from other departments when a customer had a billing inquiry about their account.
Pros
Friendly company
Cons
Healthcare, Upper Management changed too often.
Big Tech Company in a Small Place
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA12 April 2016
Rosetta is a good place to work in terms of internal movement, however you must be a self-starter in networking and communication as the communication between departments is cumbersome at best.
Excellent opportunities and ability to learn a language.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DE10 June 2013
Usually started in the morning around 9am. Opened the kiosk and prepared it for the day ahead and the shift following the morning. Engaged daily with customers from many different backgrounds and languages. Gave basic Q&A's on the program and it's abilities and had the customer get hands on with the product.

At the end of the day, we tallied sales and send reports to the regional manager about our sales and customers. Closed roughly around 11pm.

The hardest part was meeting quotas, with a few hundred dollar program; in a place like the mall.

The easiest part was talking to customers, which comes natural.
Pros
Excellent hours, laid back atmosphere and no required dress code.
Cons
Horrible management.
The Unfortunate Decline of a Once Great Place to Work
Product Developer (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg17 July 2013
Rosetta Stone was once a great place to work. Wonderful coworkers, brilliant developers, interesting challenges, and strong mission. I'm afraid those days have now passed. Now the mission is muddled, there are few people making things of interest, and management seems more interested in flash than substance. Vanishingly few people in product management understand language, language learning, or the education market in general. It is a remarkably frustrating place to work.
Pros
The people working on the product (past and present).
Cons
Utterly incompetent senior management, no planning, no follow-through on objectives, and no understanding of the business or the products.
Cleverly Disguised Sweat Shop
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg/Rosslyn26 February 2012
Working at Rosetta Stone can be very exciting and rewarding, depending on where you are in your career and what's important to you in your life. If what's most important to you is advancing in your career, having a successful run at Rosetta Stone will definitely bode well for you because the brand recognition is amazing. Having it on your resume can only help your career. Also, if you are one of those driven, gung ho, just-happy-to-have-a-job-right-out-of-college type of people then Rosetta Stone is the perfect place for you! In fact, they are targeting people like you! They are looking for people who haven't yet gotten to a place in life where quality of life and work/life balance is important. They woo you with a beautiful building, colorful work environment, fun atmosphere (complete with foosball tables), etc. All of this masks the fact that it is extremely difficult to make management completely happy. To them, you're not working hard enough if you EVER leave work on time. If you do manage to make management happy, CONGRATULATIONS, but of course that means you have chosen to eat, sleep, breathe and bleed Rosetta Stone and you're working no less (and probably more) than 50 hours a week. You're also eating breakfast and lunch at your desk (though you can't remember what you ate because you scarfed it down so quickly), eating some semblance of dinner on your way home from work, crashing as soon as you walk in your home at the end of the day (but not before checking your work e mail one more time) and waking up the next day exhausted and doing it all over again....even if it's  more... a Saturday or Sunday. So, again, depending on what you're looking for, Rosetta Stone could be the right place for you.  less
Pros
fun work environment, nice company ideals, great brand recognition
Cons
everything else
wonderful learning enviornment with tough sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA6 July 2013
With Rosetta Stone it was an expensive product to sale and had to find very interesting ways to close customers on a product that cost close to 1000. It was a very fun job because we learned to speak and show different languages to a large customer basis. Hardest part of the job would be the closing techniques to get customers to walk that day with a language set. I learned how to close customers in a suttle but very aggressive way.
Pros
Great commission pay and great hours
Cons
management was not up to par
A great american brand going down
Director of Sales and Operations-C&E (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ6 July 2015
I spent enough time there to realize that RST does not understand language training. They know how to market and sell to consumers, but thats it.New CEO suggestion to improve RST was to not use color copies.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Dont know what they are doing
Great people, inept management
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA25 April 2013
Rosetta Stone is awesome at hiring. They recruited some of the smartest and nicest people I have ever worked with.
However, they suffer from a management team that can't decide what it wants to do, and oh, they want it yesterday. Pay is lower than similar companies, and they often have massive layoffs, after which, they expect the remaining people to do 4x the work for no increase in pay.
Pros
people, free bagels on fridays
Cons
poor management, short-sighted decision making
High Energy Produtive Work Place
Bi-lingual Customer Care Agent/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VA13 August 2014
I enjoy working at Rosetta Stone in a world class customer care environment. A typical day includes providing customers with solutions regarding returns, exchanges, price adjustments, product usage and assisting customers with light product support. On average I will take 30-40 incoming customer calls in English and Spanish and will resolve approximately 10-20 email inquiries. Our team consists of very talented high energy team members that get along exceptionally well. Our productivity is measured by the number of calls we take, average handle and talk time, firs time resolutions and it is extremely important for us to work as a team to handle the high volume of incoming calls and email inquiries. I enjoy solving issues and maintaining a high level of productivity while providing solutions and options for each and every customer that calls. The hardest part of the position is trying to assist customers that have never used a computer before. I enjoy helping customers and look forward to future opportunities to come utilizing my sales and customer service skills.
Pros
Meeting the Companies High Expectations
Cons
Limited Career Path
Horrible company to work for.
Account Manager- Higher Education (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA23 November 2015
There was no honesty during the interview process. Many things were promised and the company did not deliver. Basically this company is not one I would ever recommend.