Rosetta Stone

Rosetta Stone Employee Reviews

Great company
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 24, 2016
I learned a lot during this employment. It helped me build fundamental skills while I was attending college. If you plan to stay in this career path it is a great choice. Many abilities to advance.
Pros
Great work enviorment company care about employees
Cons
Nothing comes to mind
Very rewarding experience.
Education and Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 5, 2016
Very supportive and nurturing environment for students and employees.

Management was supportive and provided the resources needed to help me to be successful.
Pros
variety of work
Great Working Environment
Accounts Receivable Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 17, 2015
The people I worked with were fantastic. My management team was amazing as well. It's a place you don't dread going to when you wake up.

I had to reconcile accounts, document and record payments that came in. I had to make sure that our Customer Care entered refunds correctly and apply the refund invoice to the payment invoice. I had to challenge charge backs and send documentation to our banks to fight it. When customers would update their credit card, I would have to pull a report and go through each account and change the card attached manually.

I accepted phone calls from other departments when a customer had a billing inquiry about their account.
Pros
Friendly company
Cons
Healthcare, Upper Management changed too often.
Big Tech Company in a Small Place
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 12, 2016
Rosetta is a good place to work in terms of internal movement, however you must be a self-starter in networking and communication as the communication between departments is cumbersome at best.
Retail environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYFebruary 15, 2013
As a store manager, I would be responsible for the opening and closing of the store. During this time I learned how to maintain an ordered establishment, train employees on job tasks, and get good face to face sales experience. The management was located in different states all over the country. That being said, it was difficult to get a hold of anyone for questions. My employees were awesome, often traveling from far, in between school, to help us achieve our monthly sales goals. The hardest part was having the customer make a purchase on their first visit, but we often had return buyers. The most enjoyable part was working in a team environment to accomplish the mission. To sell product.
Pros
interaction with people, great co-workers
Cons
no healthcare, little compensation, absent upper management
pay was ok
Language Learning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta AirportMay 22, 2012
if you were lucky enough to be on concourse B or E then you were going to do fine but there are 6 kiosks there and you were the only one there i barely had the chance to take a break and if so it was only a 15 minute break..you cant bring your own lunch because of TSA and there is no fridge obviously passengers act like you are not there they will walk right over you and your mostly going to be giving directions..if you hit your average you will get commission. but the next month they will raise your average expectation so you wont get commission that next month.i had to leave.
Pros
chance to get commission
Cons
short breaks no benefits
Horrible company to work for.
Account Manager- Higher Education (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 23, 2015
There was no honesty during the interview process. Many things were promised and the company did not deliver. Basically this company is not one I would ever recommend.
A great american brand going down
Director of Sales and Operations-C&E (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 6, 2015
I spent enough time there to realize that RST does not understand language training. They know how to market and sell to consumers, but thats it.New CEO suggestion to improve RST was to not use color copies.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Dont know what they are doing
Excellent opportunities and ability to learn a language.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newark, DEJune 10, 2013
Usually started in the morning around 9am. Opened the kiosk and prepared it for the day ahead and the shift following the morning. Engaged daily with customers from many different backgrounds and languages. Gave basic Q&A's on the program and it's abilities and had the customer get hands on with the product.

At the end of the day, we tallied sales and send reports to the regional manager about our sales and customers. Closed roughly around 11pm.

The hardest part was meeting quotas, with a few hundred dollar program; in a place like the mall.

The easiest part was talking to customers, which comes natural.
Pros
excellent hours, laid back atmosphere and no required dress code.
Cons
horrible management.
The Unfortunate Decline of a Once Great Place to Work
Product Developer (Former Employee) –  HarrisonburgJuly 17, 2013
Rosetta Stone was once a great place to work. Wonderful coworkers, brilliant developers, interesting challenges, and strong mission. I'm afraid those days have now passed. Now the mission is muddled, there are few people making things of interest, and management seems more interested in flash than substance. Vanishingly few people in product management understand language, language learning, or the education market in general. It is a remarkably frustrating place to work.
Pros
the people working on the product (past and present).
Cons
utterly incompetent senior management, no planning, no follow-through on objectives, and no understanding of the business or the products.
Cleverly Disguised Sweat Shop
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg/RosslynFebruary 26, 2012
Working at Rosetta Stone can be very exciting and rewarding, depending on where you are in your career and what's important to you in your life. If what's most important to you is advancing in your career, having a successful run at Rosetta Stone will definitely bode well for you because the brand recognition is amazing. Having it on your resume can only help your career. Also, if you are one of those driven, gung ho, just-happy-to-have-a-job-right-out-of-college type of people then Rosetta Stone is the perfect place for you! In fact, they are targeting people like you! They are looking for people who haven't yet gotten to a place in life where quality of life and work/life balance is important. They woo you with a beautiful building, colorful work environment, fun atmosphere (complete with foosball tables), etc. All of this masks the fact that it is extremely difficult to make management completely happy. To them, you're not working hard enough if you EVER leave work on time. If you do manage to make management happy, CONGRATULATIONS, but of course that means you have chosen to eat, sleep, breathe and bleed Rosetta Stone and you're working no less (and probably more) than 50 hours a week. You're also eating breakfast and lunch at your desk (though you can't remember what you ate because you scarfed it down so quickly), eating some semblance of dinner on your way home from work, crashing as soon as you walk in your home at the end of the day (but not before checking your work e mail one more time) and waking up the next day exhausted and doing it all over again....even if it's  more... a Saturday or Sunday. So, again, depending on what you're looking for, Rosetta Stone could be the right place for you.  less
Pros
fun work environment, nice company ideals, great brand recognition
Cons
everything else
wonderful learning enviornment with tough sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 6, 2013
With Rosetta Stone it was an expensive product to sale and had to find very interesting ways to close customers on a product that cost close to 1000. It was a very fun job because we learned to speak and show different languages to a large customer basis. Hardest part of the job would be the closing techniques to get customers to walk that day with a language set. I learned how to close customers in a suttle but very aggressive way.
Pros
great commission pay and great hours
Cons
management was not up to par
fun workplace
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2015
for people that want to travel abroad an to learn the local language there is no better solution to provide for those situations..
Great learning and productive enviornment
QE Manager (Former Employee) –  Stone, ENGJuly 10, 2015
Great learning and productive cycles. implementation of new technology and stacks, good for learning and development as your role grows.
High Energy Produtive Work Place
Bi-lingual Customer Care Agent/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2014
I enjoy working at Rosetta Stone in a world class customer care environment. A typical day includes providing customers with solutions regarding returns, exchanges, price adjustments, product usage and assisting customers with light product support. On average I will take 30-40 incoming customer calls in English and Spanish and will resolve approximately 10-20 email inquiries. Our team consists of very talented high energy team members that get along exceptionally well. Our productivity is measured by the number of calls we take, average handle and talk time, firs time resolutions and it is extremely important for us to work as a team to handle the high volume of incoming calls and email inquiries. I enjoy solving issues and maintaining a high level of productivity while providing solutions and options for each and every customer that calls. The hardest part of the position is trying to assist customers that have never used a computer before. I enjoy helping customers and look forward to future opportunities to come utilizing my sales and customer service skills.
Pros
meeting the companies high expectations
Cons
limited career path
Great people, inept management
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAApril 25, 2013
Rosetta Stone is awesome at hiring. They recruited some of the smartest and nicest people I have ever worked with.
However, they suffer from a management team that can't decide what it wants to do, and oh, they want it yesterday. Pay is lower than similar companies, and they often have massive layoffs, after which, they expect the remaining people to do 4x the work for no increase in pay.
Pros
people, free bagels on fridays
Cons
poor management, short-sighted decision making
Language learning computer software
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 4, 2015
Manage product sales and demonstrations
Account for daily financial transactions
Interface with customers, products, and management
Pros
using the software to parctice my foreign language education
Cons
this job was located at a kiosk in the center of a large shopping mall.
Worst job ever!
Care Agent (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAFebruary 6, 2015
Disclaimer: this review only covers the customer care position. I cannot speak on behalf of other positions in the company.

A typical day involves clocking in and logging in to the phones, 3 or 4 different systems (sales database, knowledge base, crm software, etc) Once ready, you start taking calls and don't stop. While taking calls, you are expected to answer customer emails and assist with customers who choose to chat. If you are a dedicated chat agent, you have to juggle three chats at once. This usually makes for an interesting day. However, it gets old real quick. The same problems usually present themselves at least 5 times a day. Although it can usually be a simple fix, there are rules that will prevent you from truly assisting the customer.

Another thing that is really messed up here is the Q/A scoring. For example, you could have the most irate customer and the most difficult situation and handle it perfectly. However, if you make a data entry problem then that call is considered a fatal. A fatal is the worst score (0%) Your overall livelihood here at Rosetta Stone is your QA score. It doesn't matter how smart or helpful you are to the customers. The score is the only thing that matters. I hav. e seen really good agents get terminated because their scores were not satisfactory. This leads me up to management.

The management here are a bunch of local people who have known each other for years and years. They once took calls, did emails, etc but somehow were selected team leader, supervisor, manager or director. The problem is they did this at least five years ago.
  more... Things have drastically changed. They are trying to use modern thought process with their old mentality. It is not working. Since management is a tight group they also bully people for basically thinking outside the box. Management is almost in a meeting of some sorts most of the day. Your next line of help is a team lead. Team leads are usually overworked and burnt out

I could go on and on. If you are a mentally tough person and can handle getting yelled at most of the day by customers go for it. The pay is below average. There are not many jobs in Harrisonburg. At least it might be a good job for someone. However, there is very little chance for advancement outside the customer care area.

If you want to know more: A good review titled "Cleverly disguised as a sweatshop" is 100% accurate as well.
Pros
free pizza, free bagels
Cons
poor pay, management is all a clique
Great income potential and the opportunity to learn new languages.
Area Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 29, 2012
A typical day at work involves doing in-store demos, writing emails to prospective customers, using the program to learn languages. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people achieve their language learning goals. The hardest part of the job is the down time that can occur.
Pros
free access to the software, great 401k plan.
Cons
no breaks
Where effort equals success
North East Leader (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYApril 5, 2013
Rosetta stone is a company with great company values and treated their employees at all levels fairly well overall. The flexibility of scheduling is unmatched by any other full time inside sales/training careers I've seen.
Pros
flexibility and trust
Cons
bottle neck advancement

2.9