Roots Employee Reviews

Roots73
Stock Supervisor/ Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 7, 2015
Typical day at work would be checking incoming shipments and proper processing of shipments on a timely basis. Effectively communicate with the staff and management on the selling floor to ensure new merchandise is put out on the floor or back stock is replenished. Organize and maintain the stockroom to ensure a continuous flow of merchandise on the selling floor.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Salary advancement
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 28, 2015
Enjoyed my time working here. Usually a fast paced work environment with great clientele as well as good benefits. I appreciate their attention to detail.
Very Fickle
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  variousMay 13, 2016
They try to make life hard for you after a few years. Even when you achieve targets, if the DM or cofounders want you out they will do whatever they have to do to get rid of you.
nice workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 23, 2015
I start my sales job at Roots is July 9th 2015, I learned how to assist customers, how to give a right suggestion to customers, how to convince customers, how to solve the conflict between co-workers and forth. the management is good but not rigorous, manager are kind and always thinking about staffs. In my way, working here is not hard, the hardest part is how to speak right. When I communicating to customer, co-worker or manager, I have to understand what kind words I can use or not, and what tone should be. Working here is really happy, every part is great.
Pros
like a family
Cons
the management should be more rigorous
A Quality Company to Work For
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONNovember 29, 2013
Job is fun, work load is reasonable and for the most part as long as self-motivated, can be enjoyable. Management always had my back when making decisions for the store. Some associates did not appreciate the challenge to meet the company standards and abide by policies and procedures.
Pros
opportunities for quick advancement, reasonable salary
Cons
hard to balance job work/life, job security
Very easy to balance with Life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 30, 2015
Awesome people. Great way to learn about being a good sales associate and the community that shops at your store. You can go advance very well into management.
Pros
Work life Balance, Job Culture, good discounts
fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  eaton center torontoOctober 18, 2014
this position was sufficient to maintain sales experience, i was making the company over 50k a month in sales and not getting compensated for it properly. the politics and rules for retail isnt anything i want to work for
Pros
making new friendséclients
Cons
long hours low compensation
Easy, Fun, not challenging enough
sales (Former Employee) –  square one locationJuly 14, 2015
my day would consist of helping customers, keeping the store to proper Roots standards and always keeping busy when not assisting a customer. I learned that making the customer feel welcomed and being approachable by giving a compliment or small talk opens the client to allow you to help them, thus making a sale. Management was very poor, unorganized and not acceptable in our society today.However my co-worker were always harder workers and never had issues with. hardest part of the job was not being challenged, most enjoyable was making sales because it's easy to interact with customers.
Pros
wearing roots clothing, working in a mall, environment, learning new working skills.
Cons
buying clothing every 2 weeks for work, very far from home.
Great workplace with creat products.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Roots was an enjoyable employment experience. My only reason for leaving this position was our store closure. We had a fantastic product that made for an easy and honest sale. That along with a reliable and strong customer base made a wonderful customer service experience all around.
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
store closure
Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, OnOctober 30, 2014
I would start my day off by looking in the stock room for any merchandise that could be placed on the store floor, making sure that there was enough colour and sizes of each clothing item.
I would then assist customers to purchase the merchandise by getting specific sizes and colours in order to meet their demands.
We would then proceed to cash out which I would also do.

I learned that a workplace could be a fun environment with the right people that have the right attitude. Work didn't seem like work while at Roots.

Management is all friendly and are adaptable to your schedules but are still stern when they needed a job to be done.

Coworkers were all friendly. We did activities outside of work which helped us bond and grow as a group of friends rather than coworkers.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people that I worked with because we enjoyed each others company and customers could tell that we were close knit.
Fun Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TorontoJune 25, 2012
A typical day would start out with me entering the shop and cleaning the store whilst awaiting for the daily deliveries to arrive. I would receive, sort and put away the shipment of merchandise. Once I had finished I would then go out on to the shop floor and help sell the product. I enjoyed working there because the management team was fun and a pleasure to work for. I learnt a lot about myself, how I'm able to manage people and good ways to sell a product. The job did become hard when it was a peak period as I would receive 80 boxes of merchandise.
Pros
50% discount on expensive clothing
Cons
you don't get an allowance to buy your work clothes.
Fun, productive workplace
Canada LTD Employee (Current Employee) –  Robson & BurrardAugust 11, 2013
A typical day at work includes receiving boxes, unpacking boxes to sort what goes on the floor, maintaining the standards of the stockroom, transferring items out of the store to other locations, receive/file paperwork.
While working with Roots for several years, I have had the pleasure to gain experience with: quality of customer service, handling the cashier, gained experience in my strong organization skills, learnt to work in a fast pace environment with effective time management skills. It's very important to get along with your co-workers, and to have open communication with each other.
Great co-workers.
Cashier / Stock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 30, 2014
- Sign in, get your job for the day and any deals the store is having, help customers, ring them in on the cash if they're buying something, sign them up for emails, do that about twenty times, sign off.

- Repetitive day everyday but your team makes it fun.

- Could've been way better.

- Best ones I've ever worked with.

- Repetitive cleaning of the same table.

- Break.
Pros
free lunches on special work days.
Cons
new manager was terrible.
Sales focused environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 25, 2015
A very sales focused atmosphere, with great quality Canadian products. Very environmentally aware; offers customers a variety of products that are eco friendly.
Pros
Great quality products
Cons
Company policies and expectations not consistent
Great Company Culture
Accessories Design Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONTJuly 10, 2012
As an intern I may have been removed from some of the acute stresses of full time employment, but my time at roots has been a wonderful experience. My boss was friendly and accomodating and the facilities are clean and pleasant. The hardest part of the job is the commute by public transit. The best part of the job was the creativity and being able to be surrounded by fashion!
Pros
creative work, fast paced
Cons
remote location
awsomeplace
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  calgary,abMarch 13, 2012
roots gave me a chance to learn everything in the store.i have handled from customer service to managerial level stuff without any hesitations the top management is very supportive as well.
Pros
amazing management
Good honest company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONFebruary 26, 2015
Good company to work for. Can be very strict and hard on employees. Some policies are questionable, but are required to be followed.
Easy job
QC (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 30, 2014
Nice working environment although management and staff can be superficial.
Pros
you get 50% off
Cons
you do not get a break if you work 5hrs or less
productive workplace
Sales Associate/ Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2014
Great environment overall , I loved coming to work everyone brought a positive attitude day in and day out.
Fun and exciting.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 28, 2014
Deal with new clients on a regular basis. Must meet a given weekly sale goal. Prizes for highest in sales. Great team. Great Canadian Company.