RONA Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work, but management didn't care
Lumber department associate (Former Employee) –  winnipegJanuary 20, 2015
Everyday going to work I put in a lot of time and effort, working 40 hours a week and learning everyday and showing that I learned made me feel great when the other employees noticed that it was showing, but my superior always treated me lower than the others. Cut my hours, treated me like I was a child and always gave me the worse jobs throughout the day. For example it was my brothers birthday, i worked a 4 hour day, I was fine with that because it was a family birthday. I did not leave however until 50 minutes after my scheduled time to leave. I helped customer after customer and did not leave because it was my job and I enjoyed helping them, the other coworker that was there noticed and freaked out how late I stayed, but knew why. When i was just leaving my superior saw me and just said, "why are you here, go home we didn't need you here."
I didn't take too much to mind it, but the hardest part was not freaking out on them, she cut my hours to 4 a week. That was the hardest, just staying there till my time was up for my contract. Best part was to come to work everyday to help those that needed it, and to see my other coworkers, the ones I liked.
Pros
great place to work, nice coworkers, good location
Cons
management, the random bad customer
Rona Fort McMurray was one of the most disheartening places to work.
Flooring department Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 2, 2012
The store was a terrible place to work and is undermanaged. many of the staff are very unhappy with how they were treated in the for Mcmurray branch of rona. there are almost no instore promotions, and no proper training.
Pros
slight better than minimum wage pay.
Cons
bad management
Big Box Life
Install Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 20, 2015
I enjoyed working at RONA and if the the 2008 downturn had not occurred I might be there yet. There was room to improve and advance if you wished.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Retail, vulnerable to economic cutbacks
good starter job
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMarch 6, 2015
I worked at Rona for about 3 years. although I enjoyed the people I worked with my actual job was very boring. The management is very difficult to deal with.
Pros
a family company
Cons
no room for advancment
Propably the best company you could ever work for
Cooperative Education Student as a Plumber (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 12, 2015
Typical day at work involves helping customers and stocking large skids. I learn a lot about responsibility and customer service.
My co-workers are amazing, they make the environment very friendly. The hardest part about the job is helping customers who don't know what they are looking for.The most enjoyable part is working with people who you know will help you succeed.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Rona is good to their employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 16, 2014
I have worked for Rona a long time we are co-workers but we are family. A typical day is walk in greet everyone with a Good Morning and plan my day what has to be done and proceed while I am greeting customers and helping them with their needs to get their projects done clean the work area if it needs it, I have always got along with management as I tell the truth and I respect their position. I think the hardest part of my job would be not to get what the customer was hoping for. I like the people I work with and hearing what is going on in their lives if there is hardship I ask if I can help if they are happy and good things are coming there way then I am happy for them. This is the way I am.
RONA summary
Merchandiser/ Stock/ Customer assistance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Some days where slow, some days where really fast. Always on your feet helping out customers and putting in stock. I learned about the world of business that i was told about at school and applied it.
The management where great they really did teach us a lot. My co-workers where also great really helping me with the experience. The hardest part of the job was when the trucks came in those where the busiest days but those where the most rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing you helping a customer find what they where looking for.
Horrible management
Roof truss designer (Current Employee) –  CalgaryAugust 27, 2014
I worked for Rona for 2 years. When I started it was Totem. When Rona took over, all morel went down. They put inexperienced people in management positions with absolutely no people skills. They micro managed and would not allow a day off unless you told them exactly what it was for and you needed to bring in proof. Management demanded that staff over ride architect stamped plans to please the customers even though what the customer wanted could not be done.

Please think twice before considering a position with Rona.
Cons
cost+15% on selected items in the store
Poorly Managed
Cash Supervisor/Customer Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2012
No one here cares to compete with Big Home Box stores. Efforts are only focused on surviving. Rarely employee input was taken, even that with negative stares and reactions. Employee empowerment and involvement would have made this a great place to work. When the economic crisis happened, they downsized and reduced hours while other competitors did the opposite and invested. I remember the days when we had few employees scheduled to help customers and the excuse was there are no customers. This was true from time to time but it is also true that many a times when there were many customers looking for help and there was only one associate to help in any given department. Those customers waiting for help, they left. This is how you lose customers and lose customer loyalty to stores such as Lowe's and The Home Depot.
Pros
opportunity for advancement, good training programs
Cons
low employee involvement equaled low employee morale
Good Lumber Yard! And Great Guys To Work With
Moffett Truck Driver, (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONFebruary 5, 2015
I really liked this job.
Management was always on your side.
Nice trucks.
Good hours.
Yard was open to Late.
Always some one to help you out.
Cons
evnings and saterdays
Overall positive work environment
Sales and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 2, 2015
-typical day involved setting up, and facing the dept when I get in. Work whatever stock we receive on the shelves and put the rest away as overstock. After that, it's pretty much answering customers inquiries and helping them choose the right product for their specific needs.
-learned a lot about the electrical dept. as that's where I was assigned
-co-workers were/are all very friendly people. This is definitely the part where Rona does it right.
-hardest part is probably in the summertime when it gets very busy
good friendly atmosphere
Night Crew (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 8, 2015
we clock in. collect the merchandise and continue putting products on shelves. some nights are easier than others, .large open areas, so we do not run into each other too often
GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH CO-WORKERS AND I LIKED DE FREE DONUTS END-OUTS
Driver (Former Employee) –  Pierrefonds, QCMay 28, 2015
I LIKE TO DRIVE , IT FEEL GOOD TO BE ON THE ROAD EVERY DAY,WINTER IS A BIT FROSTY AND COLD BUT I GET TRUE IT,MY CO WORKERS WHERE GOOD FOR ME AND I FOR THEM,I LOVE MY JOB.
Productive learning and working environment
Inventory Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, OntarioJanuary 4, 2014
Every day you learned something new - new skills for retail and customer service. The management team was very hands on and encouraging. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and very willing to share their knowledge so no matter what department you worked in you always learned more. The hardest part of the job was when we ran out of stock and the best part was being able to order the product in or have it transferred in. Also the fact that due to a lot of hard work and co-operation from all staff we were able to skip a physical inventory 2 years in a row.
mangment sucked
flooring sales department (Former Employee) –  ABJanuary 9, 2015
being in a rough patch costumers loved when they actually got the help that the required the co-workers alwasy ran in to a area with out camaras and left it to the new co-workers inorder to help them with out any knowledge fo the products managment was terabble expected to shove palets where you could where ever you had the room senior co-workers where unpleasent to work with hardest part of the job was understaning customers that did not speak english but still had the respect to help them reguadless most enjoyable patr of it was i helped people get what they needed at the end of the day
Pros
wendys being close
Cons
employees
A productive, organizational place of personal growth
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2014
When I worked at Rona I was a shipper/receiver who helped control who was getting what orders and how they were getting there. It helped me build organizational skills and my co-workers and management will very helpful when i needed help with something. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the stress of multiple shipping locations, but the most enjoyable part was hearing back form the customer on the job that I had preformed.
Pros
builds organizational skills
Cons
moderate stress
Great staff and Wonderful Customer
Customer Service Representative, (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 17, 2013
A typical day at Rona is always one that keeps you on your toes.
I have learned to cut keys and how to identify different types of nails, and screws.
Management is very approachable and helpful.
My co workers are the best part of the job.
The most difficult part of the job is sku searching.
The most enjoyable part is the popcorn and the customers.
Pros
friendly staff and customers
Cons
wages are too low.
Iv learned a lot and have gained a lot of experience.
Part time (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONJuly 17, 2012
Iv learned a lot about paint and flooring within the last year iv worked at rona. Iv met a lot of individuals that have previously worked in trades and that all enjoy sharing their knowledge. Iv realized from rona how fast i can catch onto something new and add to my general knowledge. I have amazing managers and co-workers. The only reason why I'm planning on leaving is because i need to gain new experience and move on with my career.
Pros
a lot of new things to learn.
Cons
its only part time and not full time.
Fun but not fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONAugust 2, 2013
I had a great time working at Rona, but some of the management wasn't that great. I had one manager "after" me, she didn't like how I would always ask for help and that I didn't show up for my "shifts". Sometimes I would check to see if I had any shifts and there would be none for the next day. The day came and there she was calling me saying that I didn't show up for my shift that start at a certain time. Didn't seem right, I lost the job because of that!!
Pros
nice people to work with!
Cons
management
pretty good
Yard Person (Former Employee) –  Fort Qu'AppelleDecember 29, 2014
its a very fun place to work. they were very friendly and were very patient while I was training
Pros
free lunches