RONA

RONA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun work environment, enoyed everything about my job, and the people I worked with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2014
Pros: friendly work atmosphere
Cons: they had to make huge budget cuts when the recession happened, and they had to close the store down, and unfortunally i was laid off
A typical day at work would usually be in the greenhouse, unpacking plants, and putting them away on shelf, watering plants, repotting plants for customers, trimming, and pruning plants (cutting off dead leaves) stocking shelves, setting up displays in garden centre and seasonal department, making labels, printing signs, learning about the different – more... departments and products we sell through online computer testing , stacking bags of soil, and bricks, answering phones, filling in for tools and hardware when 3 people quit in that department at one time, learning about that deparrtment, and products we sell, doing inventory mainly for seasonal, lighting depeartment and paint section, helping customers find the products they need , and properly guiding them with their projects.

I learned many new things working at RONA, and I guess thats what kept me interested and enjoyed comming to work everyday. It was a really great oppurtunity to get to work there, and learn about all the different departments, including flooring, paint, tools and hardware , etc. the products sold , and their uses.

Management was good, they occasionally checked up on us, but usually didn't have any jobs they needed us to do , and seen everything was running smoothly in our department, and looking good, so there were never any issues.

I enjoyed every minute working with my co-workers, they were all quite a lot older than me, but I learned many new things about my job, and looked forward to comming into work everyday, and see what the plan was for the day, and what needed to be done, and it was always alot of fun working with them.

the hardest part of my job would be moving the paving stones and sidewalk blocks , and bringing in all the plant racks at the end of the night shift (there were about 20-30 of them, and they were quite heavy to push) some were on pallets, and some were on the 6 tier metal shelf

the most enjoyable part of my job was watering plants, and talking to customers about their projects, and brainstorming ideas with co-workers on how to make things look better in the store, or change things around, and following through together with our ideas. – less
reinventing itself too many times, no direction at the present time.
REGIONAL REPLENISHER / BUYER (Former Employee), torontoMarch 10, 2014
It was a good company to work for a few years back, but because of the loss in stocks and lay offs no job security
pretty good place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee), belleville ontarioFebruary 28, 2014
i was in charge of stocking shelves and making sure everything was ready for customer use.
Fast Paced Retail Industry
Auditor (Former Employee), Richmond, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: retail industry
Cons: long hours and unappreciated by management....
Oversee audits of all incoming shipments, conduct complex reconcile of inventory and work closely with operations manager on shrink and internal controls affecting the store. Refer non-compliance issues to Internal Audit Team, Distribution Centre, Loss and Prevention and the Transport Agent. Overseeing team of six (6) staff and Richmond Location.
A Second Family
Contractor Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: friendly staff and managers, point system for 'free' prizes.
Cons: leaky building.
I started at Rona When I was 16 years old. I worked my way from Sales Assistant, to a Sales Associate on the Project Sales Desk, finally ending at a Contractor Sales Associate at the Contractor Sales counter.
Most days would consist of Fielding questions from customers, stocking shelves and creating orders for special items that the customers might – more... need.
At this job I learnt how to build things, how to use power tools and how to field questions from unsympathetic and demanding customers without them getting upset or unruly. I have learnt the finer points of dealing with peoples of multiple ethnic backgrounds, whom are used to dealing with things differently. I have learnt patience most of all.
The management at the store was very hands on and helpful. Most of the mangers themselves worked the individual areas they were in-charge of and never asked an employee to do something they were not willing to do themselves. The management was very kind and was always willing to listen to ideas and often asked for employee input when tasks needed to be accomplished.
My co-workers were all wise in their own way and always cheerful and helpful.
The hardest part of the jobs here when you would get a customer whom had had an item ordered with special conditions but something had gone wrong. These customers usually came in agitated and ready to yell at whomever they felt was responsible for the issue. The hardest thing to do was to calmly explain to them that the issue would be fixed at no cost to them, without yourself getting riled up and engaging them in a frustrated state.
The most enjoyable part of this job was usually when the store did well in a given month and the staff would be treated to a "congratulation" lunch. These moments made you feel appreciated and that your efforts were worth while. – less
Great work environment that encourages personal growth
Order Selector (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 1, 2014
A typical day at work included filling orders, and providing customer service to customers in any way. Management was very organized and focused on meeting customer needs. Co-workers were friendly and it was a positive work environment.
Great Place to work at.
DZ Driver (Current Employee), Rexdale, ONJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: good pay & supportive people
Cons: work becomes really slow in winters. less or no work hours.
Paid training for a week.
Continuous support while at job.
Friendly Management & Dispatch.
Supportive co-workers.
Fun for the most part
Yard Hand (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: being outside all day
Cons: being outside all day in bad weather
summer hours were the best expecially in the hot weather, water or gatorade a must during the summer n spring months. hard work but fun, good staff
Rona is good to their employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 16, 2014
I have worked for Rona a long time we are co-workers but we are family. A typical day is walk in greet everyone with a Good Morning and plan my day what has to be done and proceed while I am greeting customers and helping them with their needs to get their projects done clean the work area if it needs it, I have always got along with management as I – more... tell the truth and I respect their position. I think the hardest part of my job would be not to get what the customer was hoping for. I like the people I work with and hearing what is going on in their lives if there is hardship I ask if I can help if they are happy and good things are coming there way then I am happy for them. This is the way I am. – less
Great people to work with, great customers to work for
Office and Payroll Administrator (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 12, 2014
Love the culture, the co-workers, the customers. Great selection of product. Training available in various departments.
Productive learning and working environment
Inventory Control Assistant (Former Employee), Windsor, OntarioJanuary 4, 2014
Every day you learned something new - new skills for retail and customer service. The management team was very hands on and encouraging. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and very willing to share their knowledge so no matter what department you worked in you always learned more. The hardest part of the job was when we ran out of stock and the best – more... part was being able to order the product in or have it transferred in. Also the fact that due to a lot of hard work and co-operation from all staff we were able to skip a physical inventory 2 years in a row. – less
learned alot of skills
Yard Foreman (Former Employee), Collingwood, ONJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: pleasing contractors
Cons: long hours
I would start work at 7am and make sure all loads were pulled for deliveries and make sure all purchase orders were ready for receiving. I learned to be a better team leader and gained lots of experience the management was a great part of our team, also enjoyed being part of the management as the yard foreman. My co-workers were great to work with and – more... were hard workers. The hardest part of the job was making sure all my yard staff was completing all their duties for the day. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the experience i learned through all that i accomplished. – less
Good environmet
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 31, 2013
Pros: fun job
Cons: no pay advancement
organize department
clean department
label merchandise
assist customers
sell products
It was ok but management had favorites
Cashier (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCDecember 12, 2013
Pros: 10% off my own bills.
Cons: 4 hours a week
Cashier for Rona.
as a cashier I was at the front door till where i had to watch the door and take the cash or debit care credit cards at the till.
When I could I would put the returns away back on the shelf.
Learned a lot about flooring, met some great people, made good summer money
Flooring Clerk & Salesperson (Former Employee), St. John'sNovember 18, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
Learned a lot about flooring, met some great people, made good summer money
Dynamic and exciting team atmosphere
Inventory Analyst, Western Canada (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 17, 2013
This was a dynamic role under a very good leader

Challenging

Rewarding
Employee's friendly helpful and get along real good, nice cooperative environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Abbotsford, BCSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: worked the hours i wanted to
Cons: no long term employment.
I enjoyed working in the greenhouse watering the plants, being outside and pleasant environment to work in. Nice being able to use my garden knowledge to share with customers in helping them to beautify their homes. Busy through mother's day and this was fun.
Love the business of the store.
Needs to grow up and pick up the slack
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, occasional staff events, amazing coworkers
Cons: sporadic shifts, unprofessional management, lack of training
Working for RONA definitely has its benefits, such as flexible hours and friendly faces, but sadly it has more cons than pros. In-store management does its best to keep everything in order and organised, and it has slowly improved over recent events, but still needs to put more effort into their job. about half the managers push aside the backbone ethics – more... of being a manager and disregard what their job actually is. On occasion, I've had customers ask me how they've managed to stay in the managerial position, where the associates can handle most situations better than they can. Even with internal affairs, there is slight favoritism and judgmental decision making that has subjected certain individuals with unnecessary inconveniences and makes many of my coworkers, both new and veteran, and myself want to quit and never look back.

As most jobs in town have a high turnover rate, there is also a huge lack in training for any new hires for the company. After orientation, they are simply thrown onto the floor and expect the senior associates to train them. There is training available, but its on a single, older computer that people must make time for in order to learn anything of use. Since there is a lack of coverage, its rare to see anyone wiping the dust off the old beast to learn what they should've known before branding the RONA name.

Its sad to see RONA in this state, considering how much potential is being wasted through various outputs. I wish to see RONA get its act together, grow up, and actually shine in this boomtown, the way it should be. – less
Fun
Stock Person, Retail, Receiver (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCAugust 26, 2013
Pros: we had an half hour long lunch and a 15 minute break.
Cons: hours are good along with the pay.
Working with Rona was a fun experience for me, I worked with happy go lucky and busy people. the customer service was good and people always left with a smile.
Decent job with fair wage
Night Shift Merchandiser (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 20, 2013
Pros: fair breaks, easy work, high safety standards
Cons: management doesn't care about night crew, hours cut back often
Worked here for over a year with what I thought was a very good work ethic. But after 13 months with no raise and getting full time hours cut from 40 to 37 I had to leave and find something better. Co-workers were great but management and staff are hard to communicate with working over nights.

About RONA

Rona Inc. is a Canadian distributor and retailer hardware, home improvement and gardening products. Rona was founded in 1939.