RONA Employee Reviews

Unorganized/ Poor Management
Stock/ Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON10 March 2017
The job is enjoyable in that I work nights - part time - with one other person so we don't have to deal with management. A typical day is filled with frustration due to poor procedures and systems and disorganization. Most people there hate their jobs and upper management so the culture in not a positive one. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the many changes in procedure due to poor planning, mismanagement and extra workload due to laziness/ negativity of full time staff.
Pros
Night shift
Cons
Poor management
Great workplace and work envoiornment
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
RONA is a good business. Managers and co workers maintain great relationships with another. The overall experience really taught me a lot about customer service, how to work in high stress situations and deadline driven positions. The management team is great with making employees more knowledgeable about products and services RONA offers. Hardest part about the job is dealing with unsatisfied customers but I have learned to always mediate and compromise to make sure that the customer has a good experience in dealing with the business.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No benefits, Low salary
Unorganized, horribly managed
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2017
I've been with Rona for a number of years working part time while going to school.
This corporation does NOT care about their employees. During slow season I'm lucky getting 10 hours a week, even after asking management to switch departments in order for more hours, to which they completely ignored.
Pros
Cons
Poorly managed, no consideration for part time employees
Very great set of skills that were learned from Rona
Assist customers (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 March 2017
Vast and unique skills in many fields such as customer service, lumber treatment and care, lumber product information and uses, Hazardous protocol and rules, Etc. Rona was the stepping stone to which i learned many skills i do use everyday.
Pros
Great co-workers, Simple tasks, Great Store
Cons
Some unusual tasks, Lack of structure in the yard
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 February 2017
I write invoices for contractors for their lumber orders. The management team is very friendly and efficient, and the hours are very flexible. The hardest part of the job is when customers are unsatisfied and take it out on the employees. The most enjoyable part is the environment; all the employees are friends and we make it a very fun experience.
Good Paced Organized Workplace
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 January 2017
Typical Day would include helping load customer vehicles and keep Lumber Yard Organized. Learnt about lumber and to better communicate with a variety of different customer's. Co-workers I had weren't always the best influence but they got the job done. Management otherwise great ad organized.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
uneven work load sometimes
Good coworkers, bad management
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2016
The typical day at work is pretty easy, and fun if you're not being constantly harassed by the yard supervisor over completely small things.

Learned how to drive a forklift, and learned about all different types of building materials.

Yard supervisor constantly harasses staff over small meaningless things, and constantly threatens to pull your forklift ticket, or get you fired.

Co-workers for the most part are nice, and friendly people.
Fun workplace, good people
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 March 2017
Typical day at work included heading to the Receiving area where i would grab a pump cart, pick a skid of product, and head out into the store to put that product away. some days there was alot of skids, and we would be doing them all day. but some days, or on slower periods of the year there were barely any skids.
break room is cool, i like the quiet room with the comfy couch. When youre not pulling skids, you are spotting for someone on a machine, or wrapping and banding product to prepare it to either be shipped, or put in the steel.
the hardest part of the job was that some product was too heavy to lift on my own, or the work was long and strenuous. your feet hurt at the end of the day and maybe your back too. long 8 hours of standing on your feet.
great source of exercise however. The crew i worked with was fun to be around and working with them often made the shift go by faster
Pros
good exercise
Cons
Long hours on your feet
Average job
CAP (Customer assistance personnel)/Millworks (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
Working at RONA was not anything special, nor a negative experience. The work was boring and not challenging whatsoever, not that it was expected to be. Overall I would probably work there again, just not for too long. It did not seem like the best place to work towards a career.
Productive and fun
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2016
At Rona I would keep stalk tidy in the store back and front, I would also greet customers and take customer service calls. I learned how to prep for inventory and how to properly keep stalk organized. Coworkers were friendly and quick to help get me involved in the store. Management taught me everything required to do my job and were sure to make a friendship with all staff.
Pros
Great staff and management
poor customer service
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2016
rona in winnipeg at panet road has poor management - staff refer private contractors to customers, some are their friends - often the work doesn't get done and that management takes no responsibility - they get rude if a customer says they will complain to higher management or corporate or get advice of a lawyer
Pros
Cons
lots
This company is commendable and gives opportunities when needed.
Customer Service Clerk/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
It was a very busy workplace but I had to learn a lot of things independently. This is both positive and negative. Positive because it helped reveal to me that I was able to work with little supervision but negative because it got me over whelmed a lot of times. I did enjoy the job because accounting is what I love doing. It is a good place to work at.The co-workers are wonderful. It is almost like a family.
company tries to supply a veried and diverse year round employee entertanment
Yard and Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
Working stations use radios at all positions to contact each other
from yard to sales to command office. This eliminates mistakes
before they become mistake Problems reported were always
addresses promptly Staff was always supportive and encouraged
what ever prodject I ever worked on.
Pros
choice of two types of health and benifits packages
Cons
poor mantence of stuctures wharehouse
Productive and manual labor job.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2016
A typical day at work, was non-stop 8 hours a day, on my feet helping customers and making sure product was cleaned up. As well helping customers with my experience in what product would be best for them. I learned better communication skills, and other real-world outcomes. Management at this job was alright. The store manager took quite a bit of advantage over the store workers and yard workers and undermined how hard everyone worked daily. The hardest part of my job was lifting a 125kg cement block, there wasn't anything hard other than that. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many new customers and working with extremely diligent co-workers.
Pros
Customers were enjoyable
Cons
Store Manager took advantage
Morale low unhappy employees
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 September 2016
Tougher management that can make up their own minds without constant approval from upper management would help. They need to be tougher with workers that do not pull their weight! Need staff that are willing to work not talk with each other all the time or spend time on their cell phones. Customer service should be number one in their minds, not what they are doing Friday night etc.! Get managers in that know how to control staff and work with staff to become a better store!
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Some staff that don't care and just want a paycheck/need tougher management that can control staff
Good co-workers, disorganized management
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 February 2017
It's an OK place to start your working life but leaves little to be desired through advancement. Everyone should work in customer service at least once.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inconsistent schedule, high productivity requests.
Indoor work or outdoors in the lumberyard.
'Shipper' / 'Load-Picker' (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 January 2017
Generally (7.5 - 8hr) shifts. Work in the yard is very physically tasking, particularly when working mid-summer or later toward winter. Constantly on your feet working on tasks, whilst also required to serve customers. Lots of verbal and written communication required. This particular job may present you the opportunity to attain a forklift license, but doesn't change your wage to anything remotely further away from minimum. The work is considered full-time hours, but they don't allow you to make any overtime or receive benefits. This is due to them keeping the old staff as full time, and keeping newer employees just under full-time hours. This is in order to not allow you to receive the benefits from what is legitimately considered 'full time'.

The experience of driving a forklift and working in a lumber yard is my most favorable interests with Rona.
Pros
Being active, working outside, exercise.
Cons
Physically, and sometimes mentally tasking
Not a place to grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 February 2017
Lots of turn over. Management restructuring. Business bought out by Lowes

Inconsistant message from management.

Best employees left the company. Lots of pay cuts and reorganizing. Intrinsic motivators not part of management philosophy
a little unorganized
Sales/Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 November 2016
in their product system they would change their quick code without notice. finding items in the back was like playing hide and go seek, but the chances off you finding it are slim.
Pros
positive work enviroment
Cons
their systems would be offline or wont work for certian computers
Productive and friendly place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 March 2017
Everyone there made me feel extremely welcome and they were very kind and patient. Always wanting to help others out. The staff made it a great place to be and I am lucky to have experienced this.
Pros
Great staff

71%