RONA

RONA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun work environment, enoyed everything about my job, and the people I worked with
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 14, 2014
Pros: friendly work atmosphere
Cons: they had to make huge budget cuts when the recession happened, and they had to close the store down, and unfortunally i was laid off
A typical day at work would usually be in the greenhouse, unpacking plants, and putting them away on shelf, watering plants, repotting plants for customers, trimming, and pruning plants (cutting off dead leaves) stocking shelves, setting up displays in garden centre and seasonal department, making labels, printing signs, learning about the different departments and products we sell through online computer testing , stacking bags of soil, and bricks, answering phones, filling in for tools and hardware when 3 people quit in that department at one time, learning about that deparrtment, and products we sell, doing inventory mainly for seasonal, lighting depeartment and paint section, helping customers find the products they need , and properly guiding them with their projects.

I learned many new things working at RONA, and I guess thats what kept me interested and enjoyed comming to work everyday. It was a really great oppurtunity to get to work there, and learn about all the different departments, including flooring, paint, tools and hardware , etc. the products sold , and their uses.

Management was good, they occasionally checked up on us, but usually didn't have any jobs they needed us to do , and seen everything was running smoothly in our department, and looking good, so there were never any issues.

I enjoyed every minute working with my co-workers, they were all quite a lot older than me, but I learned many new things about my job, and looked forward to comming into work everyday, and see what the plan was for the day, and what needed to be done, and it was always alot – more... of fun working with them.

the hardest part of my job would be moving the paving stones and sidewalk blocks , and bringing in all the plant racks at the end of the night shift (there were about 20-30 of them, and they were quite heavy to push) some were on pallets, and some were on the 6 tier metal shelf

the most enjoyable part of my job was watering plants, and talking to customers about their projects, and brainstorming ideas with co-workers on how to make things look better in the store, or change things around, and following through together with our ideas. – less
A Second Family
Contractor Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: friendly staff and managers, point system for 'free' prizes.
Cons: leaky building.
I started at Rona When I was 16 years old. I worked my way from Sales Assistant, to a Sales Associate on the Project Sales Desk, finally ending at a Contractor Sales Associate at the Contractor Sales counter.
Most days would consist of Fielding questions from customers, stocking shelves and creating orders for special items that the customers might need.
At this job I learnt how to build things, how to use power tools and how to field questions from unsympathetic and demanding customers without them getting upset or unruly. I have learnt the finer points of dealing with peoples of multiple ethnic backgrounds, whom are used to dealing with things differently. I have learnt patience most of all.
The management at the store was very hands on and helpful. Most of the mangers themselves worked the individual areas they were in-charge of and never asked an employee to do something they were not willing to do themselves. The management was very kind and was always willing to listen to ideas and often asked for employee input when tasks needed to be accomplished.
My co-workers were all wise in their own way and always cheerful and helpful.
The hardest part of the jobs here when you would get a customer whom had had an item ordered with special conditions but something had gone wrong. These customers usually came in agitated and ready to yell at whomever they felt was responsible for the issue. The hardest thing to do was to calmly explain to them that the issue would be fixed at no cost to them, without yourself getting riled up and engaging them in a frustrated state.
The most enjoyable – more... part of this job was usually when the store did well in a given month and the staff would be treated to a "congratulation" lunch. These moments made you feel appreciated and that your efforts were worth while. – less
Needs to grow up and pick up the slack
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Fort McMurray, ABAugust 29, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, occasional staff events, amazing coworkers
Cons: sporadic shifts, unprofessional management, lack of training
Working for RONA definitely has its benefits, such as flexible hours and friendly faces, but sadly it has more cons than pros. In-store management does its best to keep everything in order and organised, and it has slowly improved over recent events, but still needs to put more effort into their job. about half the managers push aside the backbone ethics of being a manager and disregard what their job actually is. On occasion, I've had customers ask me how they've managed to stay in the managerial position, where the associates can handle most situations better than they can. Even with internal affairs, there is slight favoritism and judgmental decision making that has subjected certain individuals with unnecessary inconveniences and makes many of my coworkers, both new and veteran, and myself want to quit and never look back.

As most jobs in town have a high turnover rate, there is also a huge lack in training for any new hires for the company. After orientation, they are simply thrown onto the floor and expect the senior associates to train them. There is training available, but its on a single, older computer that people must make time for in order to learn anything of use. Since there is a lack of coverage, its rare to see anyone wiping the dust off the old beast to learn what they should've known before branding the RONA name.

Its sad to see RONA in this state, considering how much potential is being wasted through various outputs. I wish to see RONA get its act together, grow up, and actually shine in this boomtown, the way it should be.
If you thought about working at Rona... Don't.
Sales (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Friendly co-workers.
Cons: Very bad management, angry customers, bad hours.
I cannot speak for all Ronas, but I had a tremendously hard time when working at Rona on Panet in Winnipeg. I stayed at Rona because of the flexibility during school, and because the co-workers were great. Other than that, customers are miserable because of poor service all the time, management looks down on you and they turn over so fast that I practically had to tell them what to do in frustrating situations. There was a constant lack of staff, and they pay students minimum wage. I stayed at Rona for 4.5 years and it went so downhill since when I started. The store manager was arrogant, didn't talk to any employees, didn't talk to customers except when there was problems, and was very unapproachable. As far as wage went After +4 years I made 25 cents over minimum wage because they give you 20c raise if they want to, once a year. I have seen people layed off because they didn't like them, people forced to transfer to other stores because of lack of budget for hours, seen countless full time people quit then have their positions terminated instead of being filled. In the winter they cut my hours down to like 10 per week to save money. When staff quits, they never come back, not to visit, not to say hi because it was that bad. I liked to say "see ya never" when people left. Anyways, If your still considering working at Rona... Don't.
Great Associates, Questionable Overall Environment
Lumber Associate (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: Lots of manual labour, Unfair treatment from some managers
I have worked at Rona for almost three years. Within that time I've been able to transfer several times to different and more demanding departments. They've let me grow as a person, and I have made life long friends who I don't know how I lived without before coming here. A typical day is working hard in your department, dealing with customers, and completing set lists given by management. I've been able to work 8 different positions within Rona. I've received free training for all saws, equipment and heavy machinery. Management tends to treat staff fairly but can be biased. I have found that some managers will try to make you succeed and others will find what you're good at and keep you there with no room for advancement. Pay raises are hard to come by, wages are low, and with many qualifications new hires with no experiences are often hired with a higher hourly wage than I have accumulated over several years. No one makes over $15/hr. Its hard to deal with unruly customers, and with management. Management will have a bad day, take it out on you, and if you don't perform they will not be agreeable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team members. They make every single day worth it.
Fun place to work, but management didn't care
Lumber department associate (Former Employee), winnipegJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great place to work, nice coworkers, good location
Cons: management, the random bad customer
Everyday going to work I put in a lot of time and effort, working 40 hours a week and learning everyday and showing that I learned made me feel great when the other employees noticed that it was showing, but my superior always treated me lower than the others. Cut my hours, treated me like I was a child and always gave me the worse jobs throughout the day. For example it was my brothers birthday, i worked a 4 hour day, I was fine with that because it was a family birthday. I did not leave however until 50 minutes after my scheduled time to leave. I helped customer after customer and did not leave because it was my job and I enjoyed helping them, the other coworker that was there noticed and freaked out how late I stayed, but knew why. When i was just leaving my superior saw me and just said, "why are you here, go home we didn't need you here."
I didn't take too much to mind it, but the hardest part was not freaking out on them, she cut my hours to 4 a week. That was the hardest, just staying there till my time was up for my contract. Best part was to come to work everyday to help those that needed it, and to see my other coworkers, the ones I liked.
Being a small company, the workplace was a relaxed, but productive atmosphere.
Roof Truss Builder (Former Employee), Port Hope, ONOctober 16, 2012
Pros: productivity levels up -meant we got fridays off early.
Cons: working with employees much younger than myself, them not caring about the quality of their work, disrespecting management. they were there just for the paycheque.
A typical day at work required me to be on my feet on concrete
floors for long hours. We worked 10 hour shifts. The work ethics
such as getting along with my co-workers and working as a group at
various tables. We had to resolve problems to fit our customers needs.

At various times, I was required to act as shift Leadhand for the evening shift. I not only made sure the customer got his order on
time, I had the responsibility to oversee my co-workers and make sure the order was not only completed, but at the same time, gain the respect of myfellow co-workers to make sure the order wa done right to the customers specifications.

Management was quite co-operative and supportive. I got along
well with my department supervisor. He will be more than happy
to provide you with an excellent reference when I get hired. He
will be quite willing to let you know I'm a team player and excellent
and conscientious worker.
I enjoy working retail, helping customers and staff is very rewarding
Department Front End Manager (Current Employee), Welland, ONMay 29, 2012
A typical day at work can be slow are extremely busy, everyday is different. I enjoy the fast paced because it allows me to meet many people and it doesn't allow the day to drag on. I have learned many things working for this company, one is that there is a variety of diffeent people that you work with and people that you will meet everyday. I have leaned alternative ways to handle customer complaints, such as learning ow a customer reacts to different problems. I have become good at reading people and can generally tell when they just wants someone to listen to what is going wrong with their service. My co-worker have been great, I get along with all of them. I make the work enviroment enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is trying to please everyone, as I make the schedule. Th emost enjoyable part of the job is seeing my co-workers when they have done great things and see the reward in their eyes when they are told they have done a good job.
Great People - Tasking Work.
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee), Uxbridge, ONJuly 25, 2015
Pros: Friendly team, friendly customers, competent and knowledgable staff
Cons: Short hours
Since there is already a lot of "infrastructure" established within the store, it is very difficult for a new-comer to get a hang of things. Very little formal training is provided. Often times a customer with an account who is familiar with the rest of the staff, whom you have never seen before, may expect you to recognize them and give them their Contractor's Discount or to fulfill certain tasks that need to be done with their transaction without them telling you. Can be stressful to get used to. As well, the store's main function is of a lumber yard. Unless you are able to use the ordering computers and know a lot about woods and building materials, you won't be able to help out many customers and will serve solely as a cashier. Other than that, the experience is great and I have learned a lot about hardware since working here. Supportive management. Very casual environment.
Poorly Managed
Cash Supervisor/Customer Service Desk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2012
Pros: opportunity for advancement, good training programs
Cons: low employee involvement equaled low employee morale
No one here cares to compete with Big Home Box stores. Efforts are only focused on surviving. Rarely employee input was taken, even that with negative stares and reactions. Employee empowerment and involvement would have made this a great place to work. When the economic crisis happened, they downsized and reduced hours while other competitors did the opposite and invested. I remember the days when we had few employees scheduled to help customers and the excuse was there are no customers. This was true from time to time but it is also true that many a times when there were many customers looking for help and there was only one associate to help in any given department. Those customers waiting for help, they left. This is how you lose customers and lose customer loyalty to stores such as Lowe's and The Home Depot.
Rona, the Home and Builders Store
Commercial Sales (Current Employee), Waterdown, ONJune 2, 2013
Pros: great staff and customers
Cons: incosistent shceduling, nights and weekends irregular
Rona is a great place to work. A typical day would include the order taking for Contractors for goods taken cash and carry as well as deliveries. Looking at each project and applying pricing that will secure the sale for the division. We field many phone calls about tool rentals, pricing, deliveries , etc. I work with a dynamic group of co workers an managers who all support each other when very busy and with our decision making. The most difficult thing with the job is the short notice shedules and working 2 nights and weekends , making it difficut to schedule personal things or maintain a consistent flow with family obligations. What I do enjoy about my job is the ability to develop long lasting Contractor relationships and feel like I am an integral part of their purchasing and success for each of their jobs.
Great work place
paint/ decor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJune 4, 2014
A typical day at work would include. Number one priority Customer service, Down stalking, keeping the department clean and organized
At Rona I've learned how to program paint colours by the paint charts and using the machine to mix the paint for the customers. I also learned how to cut blinds according to our measure book, Roller blinds wood blinds ect. I enjoyed working with my co-workers they were very helpful with training me and being very patient on how I learn. The hardest part of the job was being on your own especially when it got busy. Great customer service is hard to accomplish when you are on your own for 4 hours or more with all the duties you need to get done by closing time. My most enjoyable part of the job was being able to satisfy the customer, and mixing the paint.
A good working environment, but would need to be more attentive to staff relations.
Flooring Salesperson (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 19, 2012
Pros: set my own days for working
Cons: i didn't find any.
The staff in the main were reliable and work conscious. I can't say I saw many people with their minds on a career in Rona. It was mostly a part-time situation for the bulk of the staff. I learned a lot about people and management, but don't forget I come from a vast different background (time-wise) to present-day requirements and attitudes. I'm what one would call old-school in thought, word and deed. The hardest part of the job was the volume of lifting and carrying (half a ton to a ton each day). The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie with the customers and staff. For me, life is too short to be too serious. I believe one can still mix business with pleasure.
Rona Job Review
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Langley, BCAugust 9, 2015
Pros: Store mananger hosted team building events like water melon eating contest etc.
Cons: rude management, (but money came off our cheques for it for the team building)
I have never wanted to quit a job so bad in my life, I worked there for two months and the management was horrible our store manager was awesome and kind but our other two managers were so rude, i went home crying three days in two weeks because they were so harsh on their employees. I never had a problem with management in my five years of customer service and working. as for the work its was an okay work atmosphere if the managers were not so horrible I probably would have wanted a career through Rona. Co-workers were the only reason I stayed there for the full two months, it was an awesome team!
Good Job for high school students or people younger then 30
Custmer service,Yard Staff (Former Employee), South Surrey, BCJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: got proper brakes and a proper lunch room, get paid for overtime, decent staff overall
Cons: poor managment, not much room for advancment
It's a good place to learn some job skills and some costumer service skills and work for a short term. Not something you can really get advancement in unless the higher ups like you. So doesn't matter if you bust your butt off or if your a lazy slob if the management liked you, you got promoted. Not that there is much advancement. Typical day is like any other typical day in retail at a big store. co workers were pretty easy to get along with and worth with. Hardest part of the job was setting up a new display or reorganizing the yard.
Flexible work hours with great customer service
Cash Supervisor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2015
Typical Day: Complete assigned tasks in between helping customers; because customers come first.

Learning: The customer isn't ALWAYS right. I have my team to back me up on decisions made with customers. It's all about prioritizing, staying organized, and having proper communication between coworkers.

Management: Very understanding. Welcomes opinions and change.

Co-workers: Very helpful. Able to keep a professional relationship.

The Hard Part: Having customers not understand that a company consists of many employees and that not each and every employee is aware of absolutely everything; blame gets put on individuals rather than having general criticism.
Rona is good to their employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 16, 2014
I have worked for Rona a long time we are co-workers but we are family. A typical day is walk in greet everyone with a Good Morning and plan my day what has to be done and proceed while I am greeting customers and helping them with their needs to get their projects done clean the work area if it needs it, I have always got along with management as I tell the truth and I respect their position. I think the hardest part of my job would be not to get what the customer was hoping for. I like the people I work with and hearing what is going on in their lives if there is hardship I ask if I can help if they are happy and good things are coming there way then I am happy for them. This is the way I am.
Good part-time job
Shipper/Receiver (Current Employee), Port Perry, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: Working outside and knowledge gained by working there
Cons: Management
At RONA a typical day consists of shipping and receiving as the jobs title entails. Trucks come in almost daily with product which needs to be unloaded and put away both in the store and yard. Shipping customers is a huge part of the job which can be difficult at times when shipping large orders during a busy day, but it helps the day go by fast. The most enjoyable part of the job is using the equipment such as the bobcats in winter and the forklifts for loading and unloading, and putting stock away. The hardest and most time consuming part of the job is rotating and putting away new inventory.
mangment sucked
flooring sales department (Former Employee), ABJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: wendys being close
Cons: employees
being in a rough patch costumers loved when they actually got the help that the required the co-workers alwasy ran in to a area with out camaras and left it to the new co-workers inorder to help them with out any knowledge fo the products managment was terabble expected to shove palets where you could where ever you had the room senior co-workers where unpleasent to work with hardest part of the job was understaning customers that did not speak english but still had the respect to help them reguadless most enjoyable patr of it was i helped people get what they needed at the end of the day
Overall great place to work
Ron yard worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 4, 2015
Pros: Friendly co workers
Cons: Very long hours 10 plus hours but still maintainable
Great company to work for, positive environment people willing to lend a hand if needed. Building orders driving forklift putting away stock in warehouse. Learned to work as part of a team, drive forklift, work in all weather conditions (hot,cold,rain) Friendly supportive co workers lots of positive relationships built. The flexibility was the hardest part to adapt to with the job (not much room for advancement) The best part of the job was the overall positive environment people and independence we were privileged with.