RONA Employee Reviews

Great workplace and work envoiornment
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
RONA is a good business. Managers and co workers maintain great relationships with another. The overall experience really taught me a lot about customer service, how to work in high stress situations and deadline driven positions. The management team is great with making employees more knowledgeable about products and services RONA offers. Hardest part about the job is dealing with unsatisfied customers but I have learned to always mediate and compromise to make sure that the customer has a good experience in dealing with the business.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No benefits, Low salary
Good coworkers, bad management
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2016
The typical day at work is pretty easy, and fun if you're not being constantly harassed by the yard supervisor over completely small things.

Learned how to drive a forklift, and learned about all different types of building materials.

Yard supervisor constantly harasses staff over small meaningless things, and constantly threatens to pull your forklift ticket, or get you fired.

Co-workers for the most part are nice, and friendly people.
Good Paced Organized Workplace
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 January 2017
Typical Day would include helping load customer vehicles and keep Lumber Yard Organized. Learnt about lumber and to better communicate with a variety of different customer's. Co-workers I had weren't always the best influence but they got the job done. Management otherwise great ad organized.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
uneven work load sometimes
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 February 2017
I write invoices for contractors for their lumber orders. The management team is very friendly and efficient, and the hours are very flexible. The hardest part of the job is when customers are unsatisfied and take it out on the employees. The most enjoyable part is the environment; all the employees are friends and we make it a very fun experience.
Productive and fun
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2016
At Rona I would keep stalk tidy in the store back and front, I would also greet customers and take customer service calls. I learned how to prep for inventory and how to properly keep stalk organized. Coworkers were friendly and quick to help get me involved in the store. Management taught me everything required to do my job and were sure to make a friendship with all staff.
Pros
Great staff and management
Average job
CAP (Customer assistance personnel)/Millworks (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2017
Working at RONA was not anything special, nor a negative experience. The work was boring and not challenging whatsoever, not that it was expected to be. Overall I would probably work there again, just not for too long. It did not seem like the best place to work towards a career.
This company is commendable and gives opportunities when needed.
Customer Service Clerk/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
It was a very busy workplace but I had to learn a lot of things independently. This is both positive and negative. Positive because it helped reveal to me that I was able to work with little supervision but negative because it got me over whelmed a lot of times. I did enjoy the job because accounting is what I love doing. It is a good place to work at.The co-workers are wonderful. It is almost like a family.
company tries to supply a veried and diverse year round employee entertanment
Yard and Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
Working stations use radios at all positions to contact each other
from yard to sales to command office. This eliminates mistakes
before they become mistake Problems reported were always
addresses promptly Staff was always supportive and encouraged
what ever prodject I ever worked on.
Pros
choice of two types of health and benifits packages
Cons
poor mantence of stuctures wharehouse
poor customer service
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2016
rona in winnipeg at panet road has poor management - staff refer private contractors to customers, some are their friends - often the work doesn't get done and that management takes no responsibility - they get rude if a customer says they will complain to higher management or corporate or get advice of a lawyer
Pros
Cons
lots
Productive and manual labor job.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2016
A typical day at work, was non-stop 8 hours a day, on my feet helping customers and making sure product was cleaned up. As well helping customers with my experience in what product would be best for them. I learned better communication skills, and other real-world outcomes. Management at this job was alright. The store manager took quite a bit of advantage over the store workers and yard workers and undermined how hard everyone worked daily. The hardest part of my job was lifting a 125kg cement block, there wasn't anything hard other than that. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many new customers and working with extremely diligent co-workers.
Pros
Customers were enjoyable
Cons
Store Manager took advantage
Morale low unhappy employees
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 September 2016
Tougher management that can make up their own minds without constant approval from upper management would help. They need to be tougher with workers that do not pull their weight! Need staff that are willing to work not talk with each other all the time or spend time on their cell phones. Customer service should be number one in their minds, not what they are doing Friday night etc.! Get managers in that know how to control staff and work with staff to become a better store!
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Some staff that don't care and just want a paycheck/need tougher management that can control staff
rona review
Professional Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2016
all in all the people to work with were nice. however I found a lot of favoritism and I saw many good employees get let go just so management friends and family could get hired or advance. I saw this in many sectors in my year working for grande prairie rona.
Pros
co workers were nice
Cons
unsteady hours
a little unorganized
Sales/Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 November 2016
in their product system they would change their quick code without notice. finding items in the back was like playing hide and go seek, but the chances off you finding it are slim.
Pros
positive work enviroment
Cons
their systems would be offline or wont work for certian computers
Productive place to work.
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
Gets very busy mixing paint/ Stain for customers. I also get called to cover customer service or cashiers for breaks, washroom breaks or just to help get lines down or to check a product for them. I learned how to mix paint, what the differance are between all the solvants and paint thinners, differance between using a all in one(paint and primer) and also learnt what is accually in a paint like the binders.
Management is helpfull when it comes to somethings but as everyone else they try to answer customers or employees questions as best as the can. My co-workers are fun to work with we all make fun out of working. The hardest part of my job is lifting the 18L buckets of paint/stain/primer they are heavy. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all the little kids so intrested in how paint is tinted and how it get shaken also hearing all about customers projects they have on the go.
Indoor work or outdoors in the lumberyard.
'Shipper' / 'Load-Picker' (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 January 2017
Generally (7.5 - 8hr) shifts. Work in the yard is very physically tasking, particularly when working mid-summer or later toward winter. Constantly on your feet working on tasks, whilst also required to serve customers. Lots of verbal and written communication required. This particular job may present you the opportunity to attain a forklift license, but doesn't change your wage to anything remotely further away from minimum. The work is considered full-time hours, but they don't allow you to make any overtime or receive benefits. This is due to them keeping the old staff as full time, and keeping newer employees just under full-time hours. This is in order to not allow you to receive the benefits from what is legitimately considered 'full time'.

The experience of driving a forklift and working in a lumber yard is my most favorable interests with Rona.
Pros
Being active, working outside, exercise.
Cons
Physically, and sometimes mentally tasking
The ability to expand your horrizions
Supply Chain Replenishment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
I was able to move around not only within the store but within the company. I started with being one of the first hires for the Cambridge location. My first function was to aid in building the store, after the walls and roof was in place.
I worked all through Supply Chain, and move locations to do it. Starting in Cambridge, Kitchener, Vaughn, Edmonton, to Calgary. From Shipping and Receiving Clerical positions to Supply Chain Administrator for the Western Head Office. Were I was ordering for 80 stores across Canada. I was even able to help build and renovate 10 stores with being a detailer and preparing the inventory into the system.
I met people from all over, from the east cost to the west. Loved them all, great group of people. The toughest part was relocating but it was well worth the experience.
Unfortunately it came to an end as I returned from Alberta and the company was facing hard times with the recession.
Good co-workers, disorganized management
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 February 2017
It's an OK place to start your working life but leaves little to be desired through advancement. Everyone should work in customer service at least once.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inconsistent schedule, high productivity requests.
Not a place to grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 February 2017
Lots of turn over. Management restructuring. Business bought out by Lowes

Inconsistant message from management.

Best employees left the company. Lots of pay cuts and reorganizing. Intrinsic motivators not part of management philosophy
To follow the days tasks of restocking shellves to helping the customers with there needs ..
Paint Sales / Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2016
The job was fun .. If you did extra when they (Rona) needed you then they would allways return the favor .. learned a lot of skills The hard part was working weekends ..
Pros
Great and easy work ..
Cons
..Didnt like working Sats
A great place to grow
Sales Associate/Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2016
I started out as a cashier and worked my way up into a unionized position. I was able to cross train in almost every area of the store. I really took advantage of all of the training that the company provided and the wages and benefits were generous.