RONA Employee Reviews

Good coworkers, bad management
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2016
The typical day at work is pretty easy, and fun if you're not being constantly harassed by the yard supervisor over completely small things.

Learned how to drive a forklift, and learned about all different types of building materials.

Yard supervisor constantly harasses staff over small meaningless things, and constantly threatens to pull your forklift ticket, or get you fired.

Co-workers for the most part are nice, and friendly people.
This company is commendable and gives opportunities when needed.
Customer Service Clerk/Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2016
It was a very busy workplace but I had to learn a lot of things independently. This is both positive and negative. Positive because it helped reveal to me that I was able to work with little supervision but negative because it got me over whelmed a lot of times. I did enjoy the job because accounting is what I love doing. It is a good place to work at.The co-workers are wonderful. It is almost like a family.
Productive and fun
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 October 2016
At Rona I would keep stalk tidy in the store back and front, I would also greet customers and take customer service calls. I learned how to prep for inventory and how to properly keep stalk organized. Coworkers were friendly and quick to help get me involved in the store. Management taught me everything required to do my job and were sure to make a friendship with all staff.
Pros
Great staff and management
Cons
company tries to supply a veried and diverse year round employee entertanment
Yard and Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2016
Working stations use radios at all positions to contact each other
from yard to sales to command office. This eliminates mistakes
before they become mistake Problems reported were always
addresses promptly Staff was always supportive and encouraged
what ever prodject I ever worked on.
Pros
choice of two types of health and benifits packages
Cons
poor mantence of stuctures wharehouse
Morale low unhappy employees
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 September 2016
Tougher management that can make up their own minds without constant approval from upper management would help. They need to be tougher with workers that do not pull their weight! Need staff that are willing to work not talk with each other all the time or spend time on their cell phones. Customer service should be number one in their minds, not what they are doing Friday night etc.! Get managers in that know how to control staff and work with staff to become a better store!
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Some staff that don't care and just want a paycheck/need tougher management that can control staff
Productive and manual labor job.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 September 2016
A typical day at work, was non-stop 8 hours a day, on my feet helping customers and making sure product was cleaned up. As well helping customers with my experience in what product would be best for them. I learned better communication skills, and other real-world outcomes. Management at this job was alright. The store manager took quite a bit of advantage over the store workers and yard workers and undermined how hard everyone worked daily. The hardest part of my job was lifting a 125kg cement block, there wasn't anything hard other than that. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many new customers and working with extremely diligent co-workers.
Pros
Customers were enjoyable
Cons
Store Manager took advantage
Great store staff while Senior Management team need is out of touch with the daily running of the store's
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 August 2016
My experience at the Peterborough Rona is that you will not find a more dedicated store staff anywhere and their customer service skills are excellent, but in my experience with the senior management team for this area they are all about the final number's and have lost touch with the customer service part of the business.
Pros
Great Dedicated Store Staff
Cons
Area Senior Management Team
poor customer service
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2016
rona in winnipeg at panet road has poor management - staff refer private contractors to customers, some are their friends - often the work doesn't get done and that management takes no responsibility - they get rude if a customer says they will complain to higher management or corporate or get advice of a lawyer
Pros
Cons
lots
Productive place to work.
Paint Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 October 2016
Gets very busy mixing paint/ Stain for customers. I also get called to cover customer service or cashiers for breaks, washroom breaks or just to help get lines down or to check a product for them. I learned how to mix paint, what the differance are between all the solvants and paint thinners, differance between using a all in one(paint and primer) and also learnt what is accually in a paint like the binders.
Management is helpfull when it comes to somethings but as everyone else they try to answer customers or employees questions as best as the can. My co-workers are fun to work with we all make fun out of working. The hardest part of my job is lifting the 18L buckets of paint/stain/primer they are heavy. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing all the little kids so intrested in how paint is tinted and how it get shaken also hearing all about customers projects they have on the go.
Sales Representative, Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
I got a few work experience working here as a sales associate, and also helping customers load various materials into their cars. Got to learn different and various materials in different compartments in the store. This is mostly in wood field of the store. I would say overall experience was good.
Pros
Gaining work skills
Cons
Long hours, no pay
rona review
Professional Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2016
all in all the people to work with were nice. however I found a lot of favoritism and I saw many good employees get let go just so management friends and family could get hired or advance. I saw this in many sectors in my year working for grande prairie rona.
Pros
co workers were nice
Cons
unsteady hours
Great management, poor morale
Plumbing Team Member (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 September 2016
Everybody was always hard at work, even the managers. they didn't have to come down and help their employees move and set up displays, but they did anyway, unfortunately despite this, employee morale was somewhat low, I have overheard employees speak about how much they did not enjoy working there.
a little unorganized
Sales/Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 November 2016
in their product system they would change their quick code without notice. finding items in the back was like playing hide and go seek, but the chances off you finding it are slim.
Pros
positive work enviroment
Cons
their systems would be offline or wont work for certian computers
To follow the days tasks of restocking shellves to helping the customers with there needs ..
Paint Sales / Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 October 2016
The job was fun .. If you did extra when they (Rona) needed you then they would allways return the favor .. learned a lot of skills The hard part was working weekends ..
Pros
Great and easy work ..
Cons
..Didnt like working Sats
Cashier position
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC23 July 2016
I ran customers through the till, was able to open and close the store, which means I was counting cash trays for the float and getting change for tills through the day. I did the returns counter and customer service. I handled money and ran the debit machine. Customer service large part of the position.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
not enough hours
A great place to grow
Sales Associate/Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2016
I started out as a cashier and worked my way up into a unionized position. I was able to cross train in almost every area of the store. I really took advantage of all of the training that the company provided and the wages and benefits were generous.
Good workplace
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB21 July 2016
worked the job for 2 years and couldn't complain full time in the summers and weekends and nights during school, good people to work with things would get done on time everyday.nothing to hard about enjoyed this job but school was out and looking for a long term job now.
Pros
hours that fit my schooling
Cons
just a temporary job until out of school.
Intersting and very over wheming
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 June 2016
Typical day involves, managing staff breaks and lunches, money handling of loans, skims, customer relations. I also work in the financing department (credit wave) processing payments and online orders. I count and verify staff work tills and safe. Everyday I am able to gain knowledge on multiple things ranging from management to customers. I recently learned how to create blue prints for decks and process special orders for contractors. The hardest part of my job is being under staffed and having to tackle the endless lines, but it then turns out to be enjoyable because I get numerous compliments on how well I handle my job being under so much stress.
Pros
gaining experience in multiple department
Cons
short staff
Verly close knit group of employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC4 September 2016
Usually work 6-8 hour days part time while I was going to school. Was boring at times when the store was dead but I always managed to find something to do with my time. Cleaning, orgnizing of restocking shelves.
Pros
Loved the environment
Cons
Physically draining
Do not waste your time.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB9 August 2016
Awful place to work. Very cheap company, benefits are awful, you are better off to get them yourself. No job security, poorly managed company and no growth opportunity. I would never recommend working for them.
Pros
Customers were great.
Cons
No job security.