RONA Employee Reviews

good
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 January 2017
good place to work good people and decent pay with decent hours. light duties and good customers. could use better pay and more communications.
Good Paced Organized Workplace
Yard Laborer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 January 2017
Typical Day would include helping load customer vehicles and keep Lumber Yard Organized. Learnt about lumber and to better communicate with a variety of different customer's. Co-workers I had weren't always the best influence but they got the job done. Management otherwise great ad organized.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
uneven work load sometimes
productive
Vault clerk (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 January 2017
Productivity, getting more experience, multiple tasking, good environment, good management, full time job. I am enjoying my job everyday and I learn more and more..
Indoor work or outdoors in the lumberyard.
'Shipper' / 'Load-Picker' (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 January 2017
Generally (7.5 - 8hr) shifts. Work in the yard is very physically tasking, particularly when working mid-summer or later toward winter. Constantly on your feet working on tasks, whilst also required to serve customers. Lots of verbal and written communication required. This particular job may present you the opportunity to attain a forklift license, but doesn't change your wage to anything remotely further away from minimum. The work is considered full-time hours, but they don't allow you to make any overtime or receive benefits. This is due to them keeping the old staff as full time, and keeping newer employees just under full-time hours. This is in order to not allow you to receive the benefits from what is legitimately considered 'full time'.

The experience of driving a forklift and working in a lumber yard is my most favorable interests with Rona.
Pros
Being active, working outside, exercise.
Cons
Physically, and sometimes mentally tasking
Great learning experience
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 December 2016
Volunteering at Rona was a great learning experience for me. The staff were hard working and very helpful towards customers. hardest part of the job was understanding where things were located in the store.
good for part
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2016
Fun people to work with but not very much pay and weird hours. if the staff made commission would be more of a motivator. Plus weird hours mess up a persons sleep and social schedules.
A business which is on its way to becoming better.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK12 December 2016
It was basically a decent place to work and the staff and management were good people. The job itself not so straight forward and could be tedious at times. All in all I would work there again.
The ability to expand your horrizions
Supply Chain Replenishment Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
I was able to move around not only within the store but within the company. I started with being one of the first hires for the Cambridge location. My first function was to aid in building the store, after the walls and roof was in place.
I worked all through Supply Chain, and move locations to do it. Starting in Cambridge, Kitchener, Vaughn, Edmonton, to Calgary. From Shipping and Receiving Clerical positions to Supply Chain Administrator for the Western Head Office. Were I was ordering for 80 stores across Canada. I was even able to help build and renovate 10 stores with being a detailer and preparing the inventory into the system.
I met people from all over, from the east cost to the west. Loved them all, great group of people. The toughest part was relocating but it was well worth the experience.
Unfortunately it came to an end as I returned from Alberta and the company was facing hard times with the recession.
not bad
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 December 2016
not bad of a place to work. the people are easy to get along with and are very helpful. a very good place to gain experience if you are moving toward construction.
Great place to work and meet people
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 November 2016
Management was always kind, great staff, helpful learning tool in the form of computer course based of departments, and customers always happy that you can help.
a little unorganized
Sales/Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB21 November 2016
in their product system they would change their quick code without notice. finding items in the back was like playing hide and go seek, but the chances off you finding it are slim.
Pros
positive work enviroment
Cons
their systems would be offline or wont work for certian computers
Great company to work for
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2016
Great management who takes care of the staff and is approachable, friendly and respectful co-workers and plenty of opportunities to learn something new everyday,
Terrible work place
Customer Servise (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC18 November 2016
The wage was minimal with no sign of an increase. RONA would of had potential if they had a cooperative staff. The environment wasnt entirely bad, just the people I had to work with.
Pros
N/A
Good coworkers, bad management
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2016
The typical day at work is pretty easy, and fun if you're not being constantly harassed by the yard supervisor over completely small things.

Learned how to drive a forklift, and learned about all different types of building materials.

Yard supervisor constantly harasses staff over small meaningless things, and constantly threatens to pull your forklift ticket, or get you fired.

Co-workers for the most part are nice, and friendly people.
productive workplace with excellent staff
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2016
I learned how to operate both sit-down counter-balance and center rider.
trained in receiving clerk role, shipping clerk role, shipper/ receiver, and picker.
poor customer service
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2016
rona in winnipeg at panet road has poor management - staff refer private contractors to customers, some are their friends - often the work doesn't get done and that management takes no responsibility - they get rude if a customer says they will complain to higher management or corporate or get advice of a lawyer
Pros
Cons
lots
Horrible place to work.
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 November 2016
I worked at Rona for multiple years. The environment was okay, especially at first, but it definitely was not worth it, considering the hassle you got all the time, and the lack of recognition you get. The work was relatively hard if you actually did your job (which most people didn't), and you got no recognition for caring about the job itself.

Management uses and abuses you when you are a good worker, and they tend to take advantage of the fact that it's an entry level job (the pay is garbage). There are literally 0 benefits for part-time workers except for an employee discount (which is practically non-existent now that they're changing under Lowes ownership).

I learned that management usually sucks (good managers go to better jobs) and that Rona, overall, does not care about its employees. This is also the kind of job where long-term employees are liars, two-faced, and think they rule the world and can do whatever they want.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when it was downtime and you got to work with your friends. Everything else about the job made it a place that I would not recommend to anybody sane, to work at.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Management is really bad, terrible pay, no benefits (other than the employee discount), fast-paced/stressful environment, no appreciation or acknowledgement from other workers/managers, most employees leave within a year, no job security, no opportunity to move up in company unless you've been working there for 15 years
rona review
Professional Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 November 2016
all in all the people to work with were nice. however I found a lot of favoritism and I saw many good employees get let go just so management friends and family could get hired or advance. I saw this in many sectors in my year working for grande prairie rona.
Pros
co workers were nice
Cons
unsteady hours
Productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB27 October 2016
Always something new to look forward to each day work there. I enjoy explaining the different products to the customers.
A great place to grow
Sales Associate/Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2016
I started out as a cashier and worked my way up into a unionized position. I was able to cross train in almost every area of the store. I really took advantage of all of the training that the company provided and the wages and benefits were generous.