RONA Employee Reviews in Canada

Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 15, 2016
Nice place to work. Hard to live with the minimum wage salary while doing 35 hours a week. Would've loved to be payed a little more. I think i did alot for the money i had in the bank at the end of the day. Overall great experience for learning.
Its a great team work
MH Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2015
There are always something to do. Safety is considerate as a priority and people work with confidence. A solidary team work makes great companies and Rona never was an exception. Management focus in its workers and secondly in productivity, is a worker is happy the productivity is a piece of cake.
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Salary is one factor
Intersting and very over wheming
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 17, 2016
Typical day involves, managing staff breaks and lunches, money handling of loans, skims, customer relations. I also work in the financing department (credit wave) processing payments and online orders. I count and verify staff work tills and safe. Everyday I am able to gain knowledge on multiple things ranging from management to customers. I recently learned how to create blue prints for decks and process special orders for contractors. The hardest part of my job is being under staffed and having to tackle the endless lines, but it then turns out to be enjoyable because I get numerous compliments on how well I handle my job being under so much stress.
Pros
gaining experience in multiple department
Cons
short staff
Great Associates, Questionable Overall Environment
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I have worked at Rona for almost three years. Within that time I've been able to transfer several times to different and more demanding departments. They've let me grow as a person, and I have made life long friends who I don't know how I lived without before coming here. A typical day is working hard in your department, dealing with customers, and completing set lists given by management. I've been able to work 8 different positions within Rona. I've received free training for all saws, equipment and heavy machinery. Management tends to treat staff fairly but can be biased. I have found that some managers will try to make you succeed and others will find what you're good at and keep you there with no room for advancement. Pay raises are hard to come by, wages are low, and with many qualifications new hires with no experiences are often hired with a higher hourly wage than I have accumulated over several years. No one makes over $15/hr. Its hard to deal with unruly customers, and with management. Management will have a bad day, take it out on you, and if you don't perform they will not be agreeable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team members. They make every single day worth it.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Lots of manual labour, Unfair treatment from some managers
Good People, Bad management.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2016
Rona was a good place to be because of the people who worked there but it was poorly managed. I usually worked 9-5:30 five days a week. When I would come into work, I would take over the cashier and she would go and work in the vault. At around 11-11:30 she would come back out and give me my first 15 minute break. Once I came back from my break she would be going home. I was there by myself running the till and returns until 4:30 when the next person would come in. At that point I would usually have to put my lunch break and 15 minute break together. This didn't happen all the time but it happened enough. They hired more and more people to work evenings and weekends and not enough to work days.
Pros
Loved the people I did work with
Cons
Not enough daytime employees
Great store staff while Senior Management team need is out of touch with the daily running of the store's
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 8, 2016
My experience at the Peterborough Rona is that you will not find a more dedicated store staff anywhere and their customer service skills are excellent, but in my experience with the senior management team for this area they are all about the final number's and have lost touch with the customer service part of the business.
Pros
Great Dedicated Store Staff
Cons
Area Senior Management Team
its a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 5, 2016
a typical day at Rona, its busy, we greet customers, we ring them through, we make pop corn, we cash in/out. I personally have learned how to multitask more then I have ever had to before. Management for the most part is great lately not so much. The co-workers of Rona are great to get along with for the most part. The hardest part of the job is training the new cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the day is learning about all the projects that the customers are coming in to get product for.
Pros
shift work, free popcorn
Cons
dont always get along with everyone
If you thought about working at Rona... Don't.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 31, 2015
I cannot speak for all Ronas, but I had a tremendously hard time when working at Rona on Panet in Winnipeg. I stayed at Rona because of the flexibility during school, and because the co-workers were great. Other than that, customers are miserable because of poor service all the time, management looks down on you and they turn over so fast that I practically had to tell them what to do in frustrating situations. There was a constant lack of staff, and they pay students minimum wage. I stayed at Rona for 4.5 years and it went so downhill since when I started. The store manager was arrogant, didn't talk to any employees, didn't talk to customers except when there was problems, and was very unapproachable. As far as wage went After +4 years I made 25 cents over minimum wage because they give you 20c raise if they want to, once a year. I have seen people layed off because they didn't like them, people forced to transfer to other stores because of lack of budget for hours, seen countless full time people quit then have their positions terminated instead of being filled. In the winter they cut my hours down to like 10 per week to save money. When staff quits, they never come back, not to visit, not to say hi because it was that bad. I liked to say "see ya never" when people left. Anyways, If your still considering working at Rona... Don't.
Pros
Friendly co-workers.
Cons
Very bad management, angry customers, bad hours.
Sales Representative, Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
I got a few work experience working here as a sales associate, and also helping customers load various materials into their cars. Got to learn different and various materials in different compartments in the store. This is mostly in wood field of the store. I would say overall experience was good.
Pros
Gaining work skills
Cons
Long hours, no pay
Cashier position
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJuly 23, 2016
I ran customers through the till, was able to open and close the store, which means I was counting cash trays for the float and getting change for tills through the day. I did the returns counter and customer service. I handled money and ran the debit machine. Customer service large part of the position.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
not enough hours
Good workplace
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 21, 2016
worked the job for 2 years and couldn't complain full time in the summers and weekends and nights during school, good people to work with things would get done on time everyday.nothing to hard about enjoyed this job but school was out and looking for a long term job now.
Pros
hours that fit my schooling
Cons
just a temporary job until out of school.
A fun and healthy work environment
Seasonal Worker and Paint Department Worker. (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 13, 2016
I've worked at Rona for a few years now and I've grown to enjoy and appreciate the positive environment. The staff treat each other professionally, yet they feel like family.
Pros
I love working with the Rona team
Cons
Minimum Wage
Very happy to be not there anymore!
buyer (Former Employee) –  calgaryFebruary 10, 2015
Company has very little advancement opportunities as expected from a retailer. A lot of people still working the same entry level jobs for 15+ years!!
HR is not very supportive and plain out rude. I applied for a job and the director of HR told that I will not be able to perform on the job and will fail and told me that they will not consider my application any further.
The company pays very low and expect employees to perform at top value. Management is clueless, not professional at all and most have no formal education.
Pros
none- its a retailer!
Cons
low pay and virtually no benefits
Do not waste your time.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 9, 2016
Awful place to work. Very cheap company, benefits are awful, you are better off to get them yourself. No job security, poorly managed company and no growth opportunity. I would never recommend working for them.
Pros
Customers were great.
Cons
No job security.
Great people but.......
Contractor sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 7, 2016
Great place to work. Senior level management was great to work with. Company didn't have a clear direction and always changing direction every six months.
Pros
Work / home life balance
Cons
Head office decision makers never came to the ground level prior to making executive decisions
Great people, but not ideal
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 4, 2016
The managers were great but since Rona has mostly summer stuff, the place was empty in the winter. They did a lot of group things and if we needed help the employees were super understanding.
Pros
quick to learn
Good company
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKAugust 12, 2016
Great group of people at every rona i have worked with. many socail events (BBQ's, Christmas parties). Tries to focus on team building. not all manager are great, but most are.
Pros
social atmosphere
Cons
long store hours
Awesome group of coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 5, 2016
Rona was the best job i have ever had. The staff there were incredibly kind, easygoing people. The management was great, as they always helped out when needed.
Pros
Cons
Not great pay
Fun workplace
Yardman (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 10, 2016
Boring. Just go with the flow. Unorganized management. Do by yourself. Good people around. Helping more customer in other department. Home time is always a good one.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Hours for part time
lack of positive manager's support
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 17, 2016
I have struggled with the huge lack of communication, positive feedback and management team support despite of bringing this issues to be addressed several times at regular managers meetings!
Pros
I love working in retail interacting with customers
Cons
the crazy schedules