RONA Employee Reviews

Productive and manual labor job.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 25, 2016
A typical day at work, was non-stop 8 hours a day, on my feet helping customers and making sure product was cleaned up. As well helping customers with my experience in what product would be best for them. I learned better communication skills, and other real-world outcomes. Management at this job was alright. The store manager took quite a bit of advantage over the store workers and yard workers and undermined how hard everyone worked daily. The hardest part of my job was lifting a 125kg cement block, there wasn't anything hard other than that. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting so many new customers and working with extremely diligent co-workers.
Pros
Customers were enjoyable
Cons
Store Manager took advantage
Intersting and very over wheming
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 17, 2016
Typical day involves, managing staff breaks and lunches, money handling of loans, skims, customer relations. I also work in the financing department (credit wave) processing payments and online orders. I count and verify staff work tills and safe. Everyday I am able to gain knowledge on multiple things ranging from management to customers. I recently learned how to create blue prints for decks and process special orders for contractors. The hardest part of my job is being under staffed and having to tackle the endless lines, but it then turns out to be enjoyable because I get numerous compliments on how well I handle my job being under so much stress.
Pros
gaining experience in multiple department
Cons
short staff
Morale low unhappy employees
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 23, 2016
Tougher management that can make up their own minds without constant approval from upper management would help. They need to be tougher with workers that do not pull their weight! Need staff that are willing to work not talk with each other all the time or spend time on their cell phones. Customer service should be number one in their minds, not what they are doing Friday night etc.! Get managers in that know how to control staff and work with staff to become a better store!
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Some staff that don't care and just want a paycheck/need tougher management that can control staff
Great store staff while Senior Management team need is out of touch with the daily running of the store's
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONAugust 8, 2016
My experience at the Peterborough Rona is that you will not find a more dedicated store staff anywhere and their customer service skills are excellent, but in my experience with the senior management team for this area they are all about the final number's and have lost touch with the customer service part of the business.
Pros
Great Dedicated Store Staff
Cons
Area Senior Management Team
Good People, Bad management.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2016
Rona was a good place to be because of the people who worked there but it was poorly managed. I usually worked 9-5:30 five days a week. When I would come into work, I would take over the cashier and she would go and work in the vault. At around 11-11:30 she would come back out and give me my first 15 minute break. Once I came back from my break she would be going home. I was there by myself running the till and returns until 4:30 when the next person would come in. At that point I would usually have to put my lunch break and 15 minute break together. This didn't happen all the time but it happened enough. They hired more and more people to work evenings and weekends and not enough to work days.
Pros
Loved the people I did work with
Cons
Not enough daytime employees
Great Associates, Questionable Overall Environment
Lumber Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2015
I have worked at Rona for almost three years. Within that time I've been able to transfer several times to different and more demanding departments. They've let me grow as a person, and I have made life long friends who I don't know how I lived without before coming here. A typical day is working hard in your department, dealing with customers, and completing set lists given by management. I've been able to work 8 different positions within Rona. I've received free training for all saws, equipment and heavy machinery. Management tends to treat staff fairly but can be biased. I have found that some managers will try to make you succeed and others will find what you're good at and keep you there with no room for advancement. Pay raises are hard to come by, wages are low, and with many qualifications new hires with no experiences are often hired with a higher hourly wage than I have accumulated over several years. No one makes over $15/hr. Its hard to deal with unruly customers, and with management. Management will have a bad day, take it out on you, and if you don't perform they will not be agreeable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team members. They make every single day worth it.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Lots of manual labour, Unfair treatment from some managers
its a job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 5, 2016
a typical day at Rona, its busy, we greet customers, we ring them through, we make pop corn, we cash in/out. I personally have learned how to multitask more then I have ever had to before. Management for the most part is great lately not so much. The co-workers of Rona are great to get along with for the most part. The hardest part of the job is training the new cashiers. The most enjoyable part of the day is learning about all the projects that the customers are coming in to get product for.
Pros
shift work, free popcorn
Cons
dont always get along with everyone
Sales Representative, Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
I got a few work experience working here as a sales associate, and also helping customers load various materials into their cars. Got to learn different and various materials in different compartments in the store. This is mostly in wood field of the store. I would say overall experience was good.
Pros
Gaining work skills
Cons
Long hours, no pay
Rona Job Review
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 9, 2015
I have never wanted to quit a job so bad in my life, I worked there for two months and the management was horrible our store manager was awesome and kind but our other two managers were so rude, i went home crying three days in two weeks because they were so harsh on their employees. I never had a problem with management in my five years of customer service and working. as for the work its was an okay work atmosphere if the managers were not so horrible I probably would have wanted a career through Rona. Co-workers were the only reason I stayed there for the full two months, it was an awesome team!
Pros
Store mananger hosted team building events like water melon eating contest etc.
Cons
rude management, (but money came off our cheques for it for the team building)
Great people but.......
Contractor sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 7, 2016
Great place to work. Senior level management was great to work with. Company didn't have a clear direction and always changing direction every six months.
Pros
Work / home life balance
Cons
Head office decision makers never came to the ground level prior to making executive decisions
Cashier position
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCJuly 23, 2016
I ran customers through the till, was able to open and close the store, which means I was counting cash trays for the float and getting change for tills through the day. I did the returns counter and customer service. I handled money and ran the debit machine. Customer service large part of the position.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
not enough hours
Its a great team work
MH Picker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2015
There are always something to do. Safety is considerate as a priority and people work with confidence. A solidary team work makes great companies and Rona never was an exception. Management focus in its workers and secondly in productivity, is a worker is happy the productivity is a piece of cake.
Pros
Good work team
Cons
Salary is one factor
Good workplace
Lumber Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, ABJuly 21, 2016
worked the job for 2 years and couldn't complain full time in the summers and weekends and nights during school, good people to work with things would get done on time everyday.nothing to hard about enjoyed this job but school was out and looking for a long term job now.
Pros
hours that fit my schooling
Cons
just a temporary job until out of school.
Great management, poor morale
Plumbing Team Member (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 4, 2016
Everybody was always hard at work, even the managers. they didn't have to come down and help their employees move and set up displays, but they did anyway, unfortunately despite this, employee morale was somewhat low, I have overheard employees speak about how much they did not enjoy working there.
Verly close knit group of employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BCSeptember 4, 2016
Usually work 6-8 hour days part time while I was going to school. Was boring at times when the store was dead but I always managed to find something to do with my time. Cleaning, orgnizing of restocking shelves.
Pros
Loved the environment
Cons
Physically draining
Do not waste your time.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 9, 2016
Awful place to work. Very cheap company, benefits are awful, you are better off to get them yourself. No job security, poorly managed company and no growth opportunity. I would never recommend working for them.
Pros
Customers were great.
Cons
No job security.
A fun and healthy work environment
Seasonal Worker and Paint Department Worker. (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 13, 2016
I've worked at Rona for a few years now and I've grown to enjoy and appreciate the positive environment. The staff treat each other professionally, yet they feel like family.
Pros
I love working with the Rona team
Cons
Minimum Wage
Rona Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Working at Rona was very enjoyable. Very nice staff and management. Always learning new things with all the customers that ive served. Improved my social and communication skills. Hardest part of the job was keeping track of where everything is in the store. I mostly enjoyed being able to not only work indoors but outdoors as well.
Pros
Always moving
Cons
Repetitive
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 15, 2016
Nice place to work. Hard to live with the minimum wage salary while doing 35 hours a week. Would've loved to be payed a little more. I think i did alot for the money i had in the bank at the end of the day. Overall great experience for learning.
awfull management
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 29, 2016
when I was there safety was there least concern we never got our deserved overtime any concerns we brought up they would just tell you to go back to work
Pros
N/A
Cons
management