Rogers

Rogers Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Worst company to work for
customer service (Former Employee), ontarioJune 11, 2013
Cons: the place smelt like a sewer, they treat you like an idiot, they do not have a good training program, once you hit about 5+ yrs they lay you off, they promote unhealthy eating
They end up always overpaying you on your last pay and then send you a letter saying you owe them. I quit on a Wednesday payday was that week they paid me I called in to HR the number on my letter to make sure that I did not have to pay anything back the HR person said that everything was fine then I got another letter 3 weeks later saying that they overpaid me and that I owed them money then a week later I got another pay stub showing an amount and that they deducted from what I "owed" them (their pay stubs are as horrible as their billing summary) I called their payroll support who said that if I want my past pay stubs I had to fax in my request for them to send it out. The HR girl did not say this she said that they would give me instant access to the program on the computer to look at my paystubs. The payroll support then told me a different number that was deducted from what I 'owed' them this number was less than the letter I received in the mail.. Working for rogers was VERY high stress! The employees dread going into work everyday, you were given unrealistic goals that changed almost on a daily basis, the systems that are put in place to help you actually hinder you. I worked over 12 mths for a manager that was not even on my shift we only saw a hour of each other in a day once a week we had one on one coaching where my manager would ask me to tell him how to help me which eventually the upper management had a sit down with me and suspended for my low performance saying for me to think about it and come back and tell my manager how he can try and help me (why are you – more... a manager if you can't figure out a way to help your employees) My Manager said that he tried helping me and he did offer suggestions on things to try to do but never gave me the tools to do them. They also do not acknowledge if you're away on a short term medical leave I was gone for 5 days with a doctors note and I was still pulled into a meeting where they told me that my absences were abnormal (duhh) I went through their 3rd party company that agreed that my time off was legit. They talk down to you they treat you like your stupid all the floor staff in the call center treat you like your an idiot even though they do not have one good system in place to help you I honestly could go on and on about how horrible this company is but I won't. You as a customer have to fight to get treated fairly and You as an employee have to fight to get treated fairly as well and if you fight too much for your rights they fire you.. I would never say for anyone to work for rogers. Oh and if you're vegetarian they acknowledge that your vegetarian by asking if you are before their holiday lunch but then when you go to the lunch they classify over steamed vegetables mashed potatoes and gravy (gravy is not vegetarian) buns and butter as a meal but I guess when they walk around handing candy out like you're a child who just did something good you really shouldn't expect much more from them. The average waist size at my location was 36"-50" no word of a lie! – less
Great place to work...as long as you didn't have to deal with management.
Account Manager (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaNovember 21, 2013
Pros: freedom with your schedule to leave the office. (meet with clients)
Cons: management always shuffling accounts; inconsistency in policy.
In a nutshell, my job was to generate revenue for the company by selling advertising on 4 radio stations. The products were solid, unique and fairly well programmed and clients saw results.
I very much enjoyed selling the product and dealing with the clients; and helping their businesses grow. I was quite successful, always hitting my targets and enjoying bonuses that came with them.
The most difficult part of working there was dealing with internal management. My immediate supervisor had little to offer in terms of experience and advice for dealing with tricky situations that sometime may have arisen with clients. She had never been in a true sales position and therefore could not relate to the day to day dealings with clients.
Her immediate supervisor had previous sales experience...more than 20 years ago. He was just simply out of touch with the reality of the sales world and what it took to get a new client to spend money with us, let alone retain their business year after year.
Together, they seemed to value "activity" rather than "results". They were always changing the dynamic...the "goalposts" if you will; inconsistent with who they decided to reward and their reasons for it. In a word...schizophrenic. Everything was seemingly designed to make "middle" management look good in the eyes of corporate...not for the benefit of our clients and certainly not for the benefit of the employees. We walked with caution and fear and at all costs avoided a meeting in the corner office for the dreaded "mentoring moment". Never once was any consideration or respect given to others for – more... their expertise and knowledge....they were always wrong and consequently stopped participating internally other than to nod and smile. You were asked for your opinion only to ensure that it matched theirs.
Twenty three sales reps came and left during my time there...that represents a turn over rate of third of their sales team each year! Not once did a rep from a competitor leave to come to Rogers. There is a clear and obvious reason for this and it is NOT the products that we were tasked with selling. Reputations precede people...and sometimes assumptions are correct.
BUT, I am of course only speaking about the situation at the local level. I cannot say that the experience is indicative of the company as a whole or in other markets. For the most part, I was treated fairly by Rogers; benefits were great; the pay was great (albeit I was a commissioned salesperson, mostly responsible for my own income) and my peers and other colleagues were wonderful people.
Would I work there again? Yes, if there were some MAJOR changes at the management level. – less
Not for everyone!
Customer Service Consultant (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: benefits, pay, incentives, commission, meet great people, training
Cons: not family friendly hours, abusive customers, glitchy system
I started at Rogers because I needed a job to help support my family. I just wanted it to be temporary, but apparently the job market isn't great!

Training was fun and mindless. 8 hours of sitting in a room, playing scattergories and other pointless but fun stuff. Boring fast tracks on the computer that don't really help you once you start on the phones. I made some great friends in training!

Once on the floor, you get lots of support but waiting for someone to answer your question while you have a customer on hold is horrible.

9/10 you get irate customers who just want to yell at anyone (they will even tell you this on the call), looking for credits, claiming they don't use data but are always over. Most are behind on their bills but you're still expected to try to make sales. Lots of pressure!

Pay is decent if you don't mind getting yelled at for the majority of your work day. Benefits are good but expensive for family.

I'm from an office background and while Im ok with dealing with customers I couldn't take the stress and hated the sales aspect.

You start out with great hours, Mon to Fri and days then it starts to get worse... weekends and evenings (3-11pm). Work-life balance? What's that?! As a mom, I found the hours and days did not work for me.

During ICU, my daughter was sick and my husband wasn't able to miss work, so I called in. The next day I get a "letter of discussion" and get told that my husband "needs to step up" by my trainer. I was very unimpressed with her comments.

You are allotted 6 sick days but mind you for every 22.5 hours you miss you are put – more... on a "step" that prevents you from bonuses and raises. – less
Do.Not.Do.It
Care and Sales Agent (Former Employee), OntarioApril 20, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, co-workers
Cons: management, everything else
Where to start.....
When your new, your treated like GOLD. Training is fun and for 2 months.
Your manager welcomes you on the floor and makes you feel welcomed by your new team. About a month goes by then BAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM. B.S starts.
Managers don't care about you as a person. They have these elevated pods where they sit like they are "above you" They sit there and harass you daily but never when something is good, only the bad. Im pretty sure that They look for the bad because the managers get bonuses when they get people on the team in trouble. Messed up right? There are 4 managers on each station. They order food and hang out and play music, they don't do anything unless its pooping on you. This is truth..I'm warning you all!
You have these completely irrational sales targets and they have the real sales calls filter through to the agents who are top sellers, but that comes with years of working there.
They don't care if you have a family or kids, if you have appointments or a wedding coming up I was told I would be fired if I went to my brothers wedding!!!!!!!! I needed the job so I had no choice but to miss his wedding day...makes me SICK. When your new, trust me when I say this: YOU WILL BE WORKING 4 TO MIDNIGHT.
Again, they could care less about your family life or health.
This place is toxic and negative. Dont believe me?? Apply, get the job and work here, you will see....cant say I didn't warn you.

Many of us who have worked there for 5+ years have left and are still leaving....why do you think they hire classes of 12+ people every two months...should tell you something. – more...

Good Luck – less
A job to dread everyday
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), BurnabyApril 22, 2013
Pros: fellow co-workers
Cons: too many to list
This is a thankless job. Not only are you treated badly by customers, you are unfairly judged by Management if you don't meet unrealistic metrics. I'm going to be brutally honest. This company does not care or reward honest, hard-working employees. If you don't meet those "numbers", you will be under a microscope EVERY week by your manager. Half the managers working at the call centre are sooooo incompetent. Not exaggerating either.
As for them advertising advancement opportunities, don't believe it. There internal hiring practices are TERRIBLE. There have been numerous former valuable employees who have left Rogers because of this. Almost travesty.
more CONS
- (accountability) Team managers do not show up to work on time, whereas they expect you to be ready to start taking calls at your scheduled start time.
- Management expects you to do your "customer follow ups" on your own time; meaning before/after shift , on your lunch/break.
- do not recognize tenure for advancement EVEN though you have "exceeded expectations" on your last work evaluationS!
- Bonuses are now harder to achieve
- I'll stop here cause you may want to experience it yourself
I have to add one more thing. There used to be a time where some of us employees recommended friends and family to work for Rogers. Let me tell you, there is no way I would put my friends, let alone my family in a work environment like this. You will quickly lose friends and family.
Thank you and bonne chance!
Cut Too Lean
OPERATOR (Former Employee), Media Business Unit (Television, Vancouver)September 24, 2015
Pros: Great local management, Positive cooperative can do work culture, Recent technology upgrades
Cons: Only produces bare minimum of local content as required by CRTC but competitors go beyond, Cutbacks every 2 years (at least) in last 5+ years, Continual staffing challenges, Morale low, Potential underused, Economy of scale cannot be achieved because most content is only broadcast once or twice, Not enough of a presence to achieve brand recognition
PROS
- Great local management
- Positive, cooperative, can-do work culture
- Recent technology upgrades

CONS
Other than SportsNet, the following applies:

- Only produces bare minimum of local content as required by CRTC, whereas competitors go beyond the minimums and thus have much better ratings for local content

- Cutbacks every 2 years (at least) in last 5 years

- Very lean staff leads to continual staffing challenges

- Local staff morale lowered by cuts

- Potential of facilities, equipment and staff being underused

- Economy of scale cannot be achieved because most content is only broadcast once, maybe twice

- Not enough of a presence in community or via advertising to achieve brand recognition

ADVICE TO MANAGEMENT
- Contract an outside firm to do customer market research regarding local programming via phone / email / in-person surveys and focus groups

- Use research to identify opportunities for local programming

- Reinvest in local programming to achieve economies of scale via using content for multiple weekday and weekend broadcasts
Not a productive company to work with
Former frontline employee (Current Employee), ScarboroughJune 12, 2013
Pros: not many
Cons: a lot
Rogers is a company with the biggest bureaucracy ever. Making decisions in pro of the process implying client satisfaction is impossible to achieve.
Rogers is company with short term vision for doing business with clients, there s not a process set in order to achieve a long term customer satisfaction, the worst business a client can do is dealing on the phone with Rogers..
Simple changes to get solutions for doing better business is impossible in a very close culture where the big gurus ( VP) are totally disconnected of to reality but there is where the mayor decisions are taken.
Leadership is an inexistent world, managers are managers because they were hired to be managers but there is not a feasible standard of leadership to follow up in this company since nobody is responsible for nothing and I speak about management itself.

Rogers is a reactive company not a proactive company, Rogers is always backing up stakeholders interest instead to back up customers interest upon market demand since final users are the ones who pay for the final product, they are who keep the company alive not the stakeholders.

As former employee at Rogers there is way a lot I can say about this company but it will take forever talking about the weakness instead the strengths because I can not see strengths at all in this company and this is a vision most of the employees have but no all speak up.
Dynamic, Workplace, very Enoyable
District Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 6, 2013
Pros: professional high sales enviroment
● Increased district sales, by setting optimal goals for individual stores and reps
● Created sales projections by assessing, analyzing and reviewing sales results
● Provide weekly sales and profitability reports to the Director
● Developed sales strategies based upon analysing market trends, current business issues and buying motives
● Used innovative selling techniques and in depth product knowledge to train, coach and manage 12 staff members, and 4 store managers
● Ensured full client satisfaction by acting as point of contact for all client escalations,
● Held weekly conference calls with store managers and weekly mentoring sessions with each team member to keep staff accountable, uncover and address performance issues, recognize achievements and motivate staff to achieve their goals
● Created and managed a monthly work schedule for full time and part time staff
● Employed a POS and CRM system to develop, maintain and grow business and client relationships, company sales results and revenue
● Represented the company with Rogers corporate image in an effort to maintain a maximum retention rate and managed growth of existing customers and team members
● Ensured all store displays and marketing material are current and in accordance with standards set out by Rogers
If you want to be Disable, work for Rogers
Manager (Former Employee), TorontoApril 21, 2013
Pros: big building
Cons: long hours without pay, weak leadership, useless human resource dept.
Rogers management - especially the front and the middle layer of management is literally weak. Anyone who pampers their boss becomes a manager in this company. No proper recruiting culture. Human Resources here is a complete joke. Labor laws do not get followed but they know how to hide them - this is the criteria before getting hired in HR. HR should be controlled by Board of Directors and not Rogers Management. Not only in many cases the salary is below standard but also you will likely have to work 3 persons' job without overtime. They tell all candidates they have overtime and many other unwritten goodies before they join. But until you get everything written on your contract do not trust the hiring manager. Not only employees, but, very long hours for managers too and without pay unless you want to delegate some of these work to your team member and make them suffer. Work culture and the employee - management relationship is undoubtedly weak. Even if you combine the base salary and benefits altogether, still it does not worth working for this company and waste your life and health.
Busy, work place
Outbound Sales Negotiator (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits, awards for great work, advancment
Cons: longs hours
Everyday I would come and be on the phones from 5 to 11pm and sell Rogers products such as home phone, television, cell phone services and for existing clients I would create a bundle; which is adding promotions to their existing service. The techniques I learned was to negotiate with clientele to sign up for Roger's services or add another service to their existing one
After a month I became a confirmation agent, where I would speak to upset clientele diffuse arguments, calm them down , negotiate to make loyal happy customers. In addition; I verified personal information after a sales rep signed up a customer, I explain payment options, and input their personal information, such as name, address, visa number into the computers. I would train sales reps to respectfully, and professionally talk to clients, Explain the right things to say and what techniques to use to win them over.
The management was great, very open-minded, fun, nice and very helpful. The hardest part was the long hours. The most enjoyable part was learning new information, enjoying the new experience, practicing to be a leader, and creating a team.
Fun environment but mgr's are always on your case about something
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Jays Shop @ Rogers CentreFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: discounts, free tickets, decent pay
Cons: long hours, nitpicky management
I worked in the Jays store for one season. Customer service is a very high priority there. You are expected to greet every customer and help them from the minute they walk in the store until they leave. Chatting with other employees is a big no-no. Normal duties include receiving stock, cashing out customer's purchases and keeping the store clean and tidy. If you love baseball, then this is a great job but the management team is not very good. The assistant mgr's nitpick everything you do and they play favorites. The store mgr mostly stays in her office and when she comes out, she always finds something you are doing "wrong". Also if you are late even once they are down your throat. Co-workers were great! The hardest part of the job was late nights and long hours (I had to work 12 hr shifts). Everyone had to stay until the game was over and clean up (and they were really picky about how clean the store had to be). The good things about the job: staff discount and free baseball tickets. Overall not a bad job but if they don't like you, they will let you know!
I have never worked for a more misable place then Rogers
Media (Former Employee), York MillsFebruary 16, 2015
Cons: they don't respect the employees always monitored like children, stressful and unhappy working environment.
The employees are not bad to work with, It's the management. They don't care about there employees. They work then like dogs and then if something goes wrong the management team wants to point the finger on the employees. This way the supervisor and managers look good. When you bring up concerns with the Rogers HR staff they try to silence you so they can protect the management.
In the media dept. The manager is racist. Everyone is Caucasian so if you are ethnic I would not even apply there. I don't recommend anyone to work for Rogers media unless you want to have a nervous break down. When I worked there I spoke with a lot of employees none of them where happy. If you want to have nightmares at home from going to work apply at Rogers. Every employee is looking for other jobs within the Rogers company. This shows the way Rogers treats there employees. The management team shoots down you ideas only the supervisors and managers ideas are implimented. I gave the management a 1 but would give a 0 if it would let me.
Can't stand managment
Retention (Former Employee), OttawaJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: pay benefits
Cons: horrible bosses
This place really does depend on what type of manager you get. My first manager was amazing he always listened to us and was helpful in every way possible. The job alone was stressfull and he knew it which is why he was there for us every step of the way. Then I got transferred over to another manager who may I add made my life a living nightmare! She gave me anxiety everyday was very rude and likes to talk down to her team members. If she could belittle you in any way she took full advantage of it. The unfortunate part is even when I tried to complain about her higher managment took her side seeing as she was a manager and I was only an employee. She would come down on people for no reason and had a snarkle in her voice when she spoke to you. I ended up resigning from the company after she made me cry in front of everyone . She's a horrible manager who smokes all the time ..do I suggest anyone working there ? No -good luck on a social life or family life .. There's a lot of faces you will see of one person and don't even try telling a secret .. It runs around like herpes
Fun but stressful
Customer Relation Representative (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 23, 2013
Pros: free breaks
Cons: no steady schedule
My work experience at my current Employer Rogers have been somewhere pleasurable. The day begins with greetings to my colleagues, and reading e-mails to see if any changes happened and updates. I have gained lots of knowledge there such as: multi-tasking, communication, research, building a rapport. There is a lot of competition among co-workers there, i find competition is improves the business as long it does not involve someone's personal life. Few times I found individuals have crossed that line - also there is competition among managers. Management competition has effected reps at the floor. For example, reps are reluctant to ask some team leaders as they will not receive a correct answer from them because there is a feud between the two managers.
Switching gears to the hardest part of the job is the amount of competition that is between individuals, and managers. This is leading me to look for a job somewhere else. Where it is less stressful and the sense of friendly competition is enjoyable.
it's only alright.
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 5, 2015
Pros: Cool co-workers, most of my store managers were pretty great.
Cons: One of the area managers is a dragon lady.
I used to really like working for Rogers when it felt like it was a positive work environment. My manager was so kind and generous and was an excellent teacher and I used to admire her so much because she was what I wanted to be when I was her age. Then I got transferred out of the area to a slower location and my old are manager somehow became my area manager once again and started implementing all of these ridiculous and completely unnecessary tasks because it was always her way or the highway. My area manager was never a really positive person to begin with so working for her was very emotionally draining. No matter how hard I tried it was never enough. No matter how good I was doing, if I was struggling with 1 thing, that is literally all that would be focused from on from her.
Company in tough times with IT in decline.
Director (Current Employee), BramptonSeptember 23, 2013
Long days and weekend work, sometimes exciting, sometimes fearful.

Learned a lot of management skills due to challenging situations.

Working staff on the floor pull together for the right leaders.

Major systems investments in the hundreds of millions of dollars have failed and constant leadership shuffles lack credibility to engage staff. Middle tier management left to hold the line on what needs to be done. Executive project expectations out of touch with reality. Too many good people who get results are let go too easily. Dependence on consultants and vendors who have continuously failed to meet their objectives is a shock to employees. It has become a blame culture in IT.

Enjoyable part is the Ted Rogers culture and values. Recent imported leaders seem bent on eliminating that - it is what made the company successful, and should be built on.
Great place to work, good working environment
Telephone Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), 1430 Blair PlaceSeptember 17, 2014
a typical day at rogers for me was answering phone calls about various inquires, anything from adding a new services to general inquires about our services and prices. I've learned that it takes a lot of thinking on your feet and solving issues quickly. My manager was great, helped me answer questions that i didn't necessary know how to respond to. The hardest part of my job was dealing with customers that were very angry and upset about charges on their bill that they were not aware of. the most enjoyable part was talking to people about our services and how it can benefit they daily life, sometimes when i am to explain things to customers in a way that they understand they are very appreciative and it makes me feel good that i was able to help.
It is great experience working for Rogers. I've learned Great customer serving skills, time management and leadership skills.
Technical Relations Associate (Former Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 24, 2015
Pros: Learning camps, Social networking activities.
Cons: NIL
A great place to start one's career. An amazing place which boosts up one's confidence. It gave me an opportunity to learn customer service, Leadership, and Team playing Skills. As you have to finish the call with in the time limit, One can improve his time management skills as well. A 8 year shift allow you to handle an average of 50 calls. If we follow the protocols and ask for the exact details, the problem can be fixed within 3 minutes. The hardest part is to talk to someone who isn't good with the Language, someone who is not tech savvy. The most enjoyable part is when people appreciate you by the bottom of their heart.
Great place to acquire skills and experience in customer service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 26, 2014
A typical day at work would entail both experiences in the sales department as well as the administrative department at the retail level. Management would provide support in terms of sales when requested however it is your own responsibility to pitch sales and ask qualifying questions in order to up-sell additional products and services. Co-workers will help with the programs and software complications when they arise from time to time. The hardest part of the job is de-escalating the intensity of customers who come in to complain about their bills. The most enjoyable part of the job is selling a new product to a customer and experiencing their excitement while demonstrating how to use the new product(s).
THE BEST JOB
Cable Representative (Former Employee), Orleans, ONSeptember 2, 2013
I loved this job more than anything. My co-workers were amazing and became life long friends. We all worked so well as a team. My manager was the sweetest most intelligent woman I have ever had the pleasure of working for. I wish the pay would have been more but that is barely a con due to how amazing the job actually was. I even had two weeks of Cable Representative training in another location and it was so much fun and I learned so much. I learned how to deal with customers on all levels. I learned how a real working teams works and how you have support and love. I would get recognition when I would do something good. BEST JOB I HAVE EVER HAD! I would have never left but I had to move to Laval Quebec and sadly the Rogers I worked out then closed down.
Headquarters