Rogers Communications Employee Reviews

great work environment
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2017
fast paced call centre environment , great managers and work support and work benefits, There were always changes when it came to your job expectations and had to think and quiclky on your feet and you are required to make sale, which you would not recieve compensation for until after the probationary period
busy company
Media Services Group Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
Job is very busy and need to work long hours with accurate. I have learnt a lot every day including how to run report and dead with a lot of different people.
This was in the old video stores
Cable Service (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 October 2017
At that time the cable centres were in the video stores. Pay was the same as the video store staff and not in line with the other cable centres.
This is no longer the case.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with extremely irate customers.
The most enjoyable was being able to solve a customers problem for them and see the smile on their face.
Management was reachable and they were not difficult to speak with. You never knew if your concerns went any higher though.
Great place to work growing up
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 October 2017
I had the opportunity to work for Rogers while I was in University. It was a flexible job that offered good customer service training. The work environment was very relaxed
Pros
Acquired lots of skills
Cons
Not a career job
Not recommended
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 October 2017
IT support

Shift work

Work 12 days in a row Sleep deprived

No life work balance

Hard to get days off

Manager does not approve anything

Not recommended to anyone ..

There is a reason why Rogers is so successful .. lots of hard work .. and long hours ..
Pros
Cons
too many
A Tempory Job
Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2017
This is kind of my first job which I did not really like it. A nice company with a big community which attracted me but wouldn't make me satisfied. As a temporary job was enough.
Above average pay+benefits, no life outside of work, poor service inside and out
Tech Support Agent (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB23 October 2017
Coming from a customer service/tech support rep, Rogers provides a great salary with one of the best benefits package available in Canada plus you receive a discount on Rogers services; But at a hefty cost to your life and well-being.

Like any new job in the beginning, you know you're at the bottom of the totem pole: working late shifts, working every holiday, never a weekend off but they will always paint you a pretty picture and promote that you'll gain seniority fast which leads to better shifts and perks.

During training (ICU) you will find that half or more of your fellow new hires will have quit (out of the 16 in my group we were down to 5 by the end of training, now only 2 remain 3 years later - myself included.)
After training you will be provided with your regular shift (which you'll bid on but being new it is next to pointless in hoping for day shifts.) You will likely be working until 2:30 or 3:00am.

I was stuck working until 3:00am for a little more than one year without ever having a holiday or weekend off.
For the next 1.5 years I worked until midnight and then by fluke I got a morning shift this past summer which only lasted six weeks (I'm now back working until midnight and still have not had a single holiday or weekend off.)

Basically, don't expect to have much of a life outside the walls of Rogers for a very long time.

Now onto what the job is like:

You'll begin by signing into your workstation, checking emails, getting up to speed on today's "call driver" (ie. service outage, new promo, etc), oh wait - you can't do this on company time
  more... so you have to arrive early and are expected to do work related activities on your own time before clocking in.

Okay, that's done, sign in and immediately begin taking calls, non-stop, back to back. Talk time costs money - the longer you're on a call, the more you're costing the company precious cents and they don't like this one bit. If you average even one minute more than their expectation you'll hear about it in your weekly coaching with your team manager.

If you require time between calls to finish notes, take a breath or drink or go to the restroom, you go into an "after-call" mode but don't remain in there long - a manager will be alerted after a set amount of time and either message you or come over to let you know (the daily expectation is no more than a total of 30 seconds in after-call is to be used.)

Meeting your scheduled breaks is difficult to do when the phone is ringing back to back and when you're plugged in you can't ignore the next call - it automatically answers it so you have to juggle between being late on breaks and using too much after-call but don't worry, your team manager will coach you on how this is negatively effecting your compliance and you're expected to do better.

In short, they micromanage every little detail, ignoring triumphs and focusing entirely on the negatives.

The worst is the the last 5-10 minutes of your shift. If you end a call within this time frame you're bound to be stuck there past your shift because there's always one more call waiting for you (which obviously you get paid for the extra time but after 8 hours of someone ranting in your ear, you'll hate when this happens; and don't even think about going into after-call or any other mode to avoid this - you will be reprimanded.)

There is opportunities to receive bonuses but you have to jump through hoops to achieve it. It's all about your stats - stray by a fraction on any one of the measures and you'll lose any chance of getting a bonus payout.

You'll be given quarterly and yearly reviews to fill out + one that you'll complete on your manager and their performance - these will effect your raise, bonus' and best of all your manager's too! Don't be nice - be honest!

Next we'll look at the work environment:

The best part is your coworkers, most are great people - I've met many new friends at Rogers but we never see each other outside the office because we're all exhausted and our days off usually don't match.

Your work space is "spacious" (it's not the cubicle life, you're able to see your neighbors all around you.)
Depending on the department and location - the computers can be dated and slow, some provide single monitors, others provide dual monitors which I say is a must for all the programs you require to have open.

Speaking of programs, the two primary ones you will use for most actions are so archaic that they tend to break down often (weekly). They're so far out of date that instead of upgrading, they've chosen to have them run in basically what is a virtual Java environment (a program within a program.) It's a regular occurrence for other tools and systems to breakdown as well, leaving you to explain to a customer who's been on hold for 20+ minutes that you're "unable to assist them at this time and to please call back later."

Your team managers will usually sit among you at the end of aisles/rows and this is where you'll engage in weekly one-on-one coaching.

There is a cafeteria/lunch room - nothing more than a few vending machines, microwaves and large tables.

Cleanliness is almost unachievable - I recommend sterilizing every mouse, keyboard and desk surface prior to using - it is nauseating to see how many people cough/sneeze into the air or their hands; and on top of that, how many people go to the bathroom without washing. So bring plenty of hand sanitizer and wipes.

And to finish this off, management and the company outlook:

I've seen 3 CEO's so far in my time with the company and none have benefited the customer in any way but I'll give our latest CEO the benefit of the doubt as he's only been in the chair for a couple months or so.

From internal issues to service interruptions impacting the customer, Rogers lacks any feeling of obligation or determination to resolve problems in a reasonable and timely manner for the customer.

In my few years at Rogers, I've yet to see a week where some of our crucial system/tools are not broken down for hours or days at a time.

There is always an abundance of service outages, reoccurring area outages (due to Rogers infrastructure being so outdated) and because most are on old platforms - the network cannot accommodate today's demands (most areas are so over-saturated it leads to specific services to go offline, ie. On Demand.)
Some of these can last months - inexcusable for a company of this size.

There is minimal cross-communication between teams, managers and departments. Ask a dozen people the same question, you'll be given a different answer from each one - even our support articles conflict each other sometimes - one says you can, another says you can't.

They (anyone in a supervisory/management role) will make promises to you but then not hold true to their word. They'll tell you what you want to hear and omit specifics or retract what they originally said, to keep you going, treating you like a puppet.

At this point in time, you may ask why I personally would continue working at a place after such an awful experience - simply put: I remained hopeful that things would improve the more time I invested. Unfortunately nothing has and it doesn't look like it will. Plus, Moncton is the call centre capitol so other lines of work with a similar wage is hard to come by.

I tried to make this review as transparent as possible - some people love working at Rogers but most of them who do have been stuck in the same chair for the past 10 years being fed the same propaganda again and again. That just isn't me and soon I will be moving on away from Rogers entirely.
Pros
Pay, benefits, discount
Cons
Shifts bids, hours, management, directives, service
Good Company to work with
Sr Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 October 2017
Work culture is very promoting and is a great place for young techies to start their career. Work environment is very very promoting and is a great place to learn.
Professional Environment.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ON17 October 2017
Rogers has helped me to build up my patience decently. Speaking to the vast range of customers allowed me to gain different prospective and ideas of life along with experiences. The atmosphere not only the co-workers but also the each individual of management team were pleasant to work with. Rogers truly helped me with my growth.
Fulfilling Experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 October 2017
Rewarding experience. Supportive culture. Good benefits.
Typical day at work includes prioritizing, planning and attending meetings (project and team meetings), managing projects.

Want to know more about Rogers Communications?

Ask a question
Sales manager - dealer
Store manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey Centre, BC16 October 2017
Job is good while in school - if you work for a authorized dealer . Advancement is very limited and no new opportunities are made by management. Want it as a long term job , focus on corporate.
Hars work pays off
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 October 2017
The job can be challenging, however the company does well at recognizing those who strive to do their best for the company. The pay and benefits are great, and senior staff is incredibly helpful.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Scheduling is difficult as a new hire
lack of conviction to a plan
Product Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2017
Enterprise Business was again built up and again torn down. Culture differences between groups was allowed to exist that did not enable efficient use of time and resources.
poor management must change culture
consumer inside sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON10 October 2017
Terrible management , senior sales manager is a narcasis and run a tight ship , no room for input , and advancement is base on favoritism, no coaching no follow and sales people were fired due to stealing sales and tide selling , bad company, not the company that boost best company to work for .
Pros
free meal
Cons
no feedback, poor manager more like bullies than mentors
Nice break room
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 October 2017
Great employees and helpful managers. Managers will assist you at getting better with your job. Room for advancement. Many departments to move into and about 4 different location in the east
Pros
good starting pay
Cons
shifts
Productive and fun work place but lot of things have to be better
Consumer Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 October 2017
Not bad its a nice company to work for but some of the manager need to be changed because sometimes it affects the employee . Benefits were fair enough
Challenging work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 October 2017
Learn collaboration skills, working together with team members to deliver good customer service. Making a difference in provided service with polite mannerisms.
Fun, Stressful, Sales
CUSTOMER RELATIONS ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC3 October 2017
You are answering calls from customers. That could be new customers looking for options on a cellphone to a person who is challenged by their current plan.
Pros
Great Attitudes, Positive Feedback
Cons
Stressful at times with customers
Good company to start with your career
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto ON2 October 2017
Overall is good company, good to start with your career.
Lots of work to do, if you want to learn things, nice place to go.
Job Security is poor, always laying off people.
Horrible managers
Analyst (Former Employee) –  333 bloor1 October 2017
Rogers has tons of money to spend on useless programs and third party vendors. They are over staffed yet things stilll don't get done properly.
They have a manager coaching program which they spend a ton of money on but unfortunately managers despite this coaching have no idea on how to be respectful.
Literally everyone is a manager or director and it is easy to get promoted if you suck up and manage up well.
I've never worked with dumber people in my life ( some exceptions)
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rogers Communications. Our community is ready to answer.