Rogers Communications Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good employer, difficult job.
Customer Retention Agent (Former Employee), Burnaby, BCSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: decent wage, decent benefits, good management and co-workers
Cons: stressful job, difficult public relations, managing fallout from decisions/mistakes you don't make
I worked in customer retention. It's an extremely difficult and high stress position. You deal with people at their very worst, who have high and often unrealistic expectations for what you can do to resolve their problems. Also, many of these problems often extend from or are exacerbated by customer-unfriendly decisions made at the executive level, or the mistakes of other employees.

I had an excellent manager, and my interactions with other managers did not leave anything to be desired. Wage is reasonable and benefits are generally pretty good, but for a junior employee it can sometimes be difficult to get time off when you need it. Their policies on sick (and related) days are fairly unforgiving for employees within their first year as well. You get six paid six days, but using them moves up up a ladder of potential disciplinary action.

So illnesses that are unusually severe/frequent/extended, but not so severe as to qualify for short-term disability will leave you in a pretty precarious position.

I left the position due to stress and anxiety relating from my dealings with upset customers. If you are extremely patient/thick skinned, or just generally have a disarming effect on people, this could be a good job for you. However if angry or demanding people cause you stress or anxiety, I do not recommend this position.
Simply not a fun place to work, Very Low Morale, managers dont really care
Field Service Analyst - Field Service Center (Current Employee), 855 York MillsDecember 15, 2015
Pros: apparently we pay more than competing companies for similar positions
Cons: you are just a number and you will not get any gratification working here
Hardest part is being an ambassador for the product. I hate telling people i work here because i will just get bombarded with complaints, and i dont blame them, because my own services are equally poor. If i did not work for the company, i would not be a subscriber.

We advertise as the fastest internet, and fastest this and fastest that...yet the systems and tools to support such are dated and slow.
We do not improve any processes and we've laid off so many people yet we maintained the same level of work on fewer staff.

Nobody has fun here, people collect there pay checks and thats pretty much it.

All the social events we once had, are gone. At one point, managers used to walk the floors and talk to the front line...were lucky if front level managers leave there cubicles with a smile on there faces. We are required to do these employee engagement surveys, despite the poor scores, nothing changes.

nobody has a name, were all just numbers, if you want to get your soul and life sucked out of you, this is the place to be. I will say this though, ive met employees who transferred from competing companies, apparently we pay very well. But i am at a point, where my time, my life and my soul hold more value than pay.

I am in my 15th year, and I have no loyalty to this company, once something comes up I am out.
A place to grow and form lasting relationships
IT Business Analyst - Process (Current Employee), Brampton, ONNovember 4, 2015
Pros: Company discounts, competitive salary, large work spaces
Cons: Flexibility, lack of work/life balance
I've been with this company for many years and have seen so much change and evolution occur within the organization. Different leaders, different work space and ever changing responsibilities.

I have had the pleasure to work for some really great people, not great because they let you slack off or buy you lunch (although that is appreciated), but because they have the ability to inspire you. From encouraging you to grow in your career, placing trust in your abilities to allowing you the flexibility to work remotely. These managers know how to drive and move their team forward.

I've also come across those managers that hold such a tight reign on their employees that the inevitable "job search" starts. From micro-management, distrust and disorganization. These managers are, luckily for me, not ones that I had to endure for long periods of time. Since the one thing this company is known for, is change.

This company, like many others, is trying to find their footing in this new telecommunications landscape. Kids are smart. They expect more from their provider than Saturday morning cartoons and sending emojis to friends.

Rogers has given me more that a job. It has given me education, friends, partnerships, career opportunities and experiences that otherwise I would not have had.
Challenging fast paced workplace with constant learning.
High Risk Loyalty & Customer Retention Consultant (Current Employee), Pickerin ONApril 14, 2015
Pros: close to home, work perks, team oriented
Cons: inflexible shifts/nights, no work-life balance as the hours are 4-12, mentally taxing
A typical day would include tasks such as answering calls in a calm and approachable manner while assessing the root cause of the clients complaints, multitasking to retain the business with a high focus on attention to details and being efficient in completing tasks to aid as many customers in the shortest amount of time.
In working in this environment I have learnt how to effectively and efficiently communicate with clients to better understand their needs, wants or frustrations in order to resolve any issues and then when appropriate right size customers and up sell to the proper products.
The management team and my coworkers make this job a lot more enjoyable as this job is not only mentally taxing but the hours are also very hard for a family oriented individual. Working with enthusiastic and encouraging co-workers and management teams makes the world of a difference.
The hardest part of the job would be the hours, working 4pm-12am Monday-Wednesday and then Saturday and Sunday is very depressing as there is no work-life balance. However the most enjoyable part of the job would be the fact that it's close to home and the people are fun and we all work together.
Great work atmosphere, friendly and supportive leaders
Call Centre CSR Wireless Retention (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 25, 2014
Pros: great pay and benfits, flexibility in scheduling, room for advancement
Cons: high stress levels
Working here is very fast paced. There is a lot to learn and a lot to do on a daily basis. Call volumes are usually quite high.

The biggest addition to any skill set I gained at Rogers was a refinement of personal/soft skills and learning how to communicate better with customers.

The management is very friendly and supportive at Rogers, offering work and personal advice and in general being there as a pillar of support. Whether you needed help in regards to work or needed to talk about something going on outside of work they were always willing to listen and it's a very admirable trait in any company.

In the retention department the most difficult aspect is the amount of stress placed upon you. While you are dealing with customers who are often frustrated or upset, some who tend to take it out on the agent unknowingly, you also have a need to maintain and meet certain metrics or goals. Balancing both can be very tricky.

The most enjoyable part of this job is talking to all different sorts of people, whether it be customers or coworkers. Both are very diverse groups of people with colorful backgrounds and stories.
Unorganized for a large company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), 2235 Sheppard Avenue EastAugust 21, 2014
Pros: early leave, amazing benifits
Cons: terrible managment, not to organized, not enough pay
the training was very bad it was one way in training and then when we got on the floor completely differnet. they say its not about targets and metrics and when you get up on the floor thats all its about. they give u little to no product knowlege and your pretty much thrown out on the phones.

management is unorganized if you ask for help most of them have no idea what to do. i had one manager tell me "ive only been on the phones a total of 2 weeks in training and ive only been here since january" how do you have a manager that doesnt know what hes doing. let alone my own manager who played favorites and doesnt do her job protecting the sales on her team or actually coaching her agents. the 3rd party call centre i worked at had better training and management and thats sad.

the co-workers for the most part were boring but you find a few shiners there

also they say the pay is amazing its really not. they make it impossible to actually hit any bonuses

overall not the greatest place to work i would much rather work at the 3rd party Rogers place ive worked at in the past which is sad. the pay was even better at 3rd party due to commission
Rogers was good place to gain valuable sales skills
CUSTOMER SERVICE SALES REP (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
Pros: Selling, Product placement, Business clients, Thrill of the sale, Health Benefits
Cons: Management, Low pay, No room to moveup
I enjoyed my three and half year stay at rogers. I was able to learn a lot from my customers and my colleagues. The customers taught me how to be accountable. These customers were all suit and tie customers. My store was in the heart of the financial district in downtown Toronto. So having to be presentable and accountable were my key traits to provide them with superior wireless service. I was able to master the elevator pitch.
My store got a lot of public foot traffic and the business suits coming into my store. These people did not always want to buy they came to learn, and it was my job to spark interest in a product. This product they would be committing to with a two year contract with rogers. So finding the right product for the customer was key. I learnt how to profile my customers and put them in to categories ranging from basic light user to sophisticated power user. Identifying the users lifestyle and technical level was key in my goal of product placement.
Terrible Place
Customer Relations Consultant (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: 50% off discount
Cons: EVERYTHING!
I would not recommend anyone to work here. A typical day in the retention call centre is taking back to back calls - having managers yell at you for having a customer on hold or being in acw while trying to note a customers account. The best thing Rogers had to offer was their 50% off and medical benefits. Other than that, I worked there for 2 years and only got a $0.53 cents raise during that time - even though my stats were through the roof. If it wasn't for all the money I made from up-selling Roger's customers, I would've taken home less than $1000 every two weeks.

Senior management, sorry management all together is a joke. Team leaders have no leadership skills, nor do they know how to manage their staff. At the end of the day, if you need a means to a way of life then you can work there. Just remember, everything is great at the beginning. Oh and hope you don't get ill! they have a steps program where you will receive a letter and it gets put into your employee record if you are absent from work for 1 day. Better to call in sick for the week and go on STD so that your illness is not used against you.
Inflexible workplace
Customer Loyalty Representative (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONDecember 13, 2014
Pros: flexible vacation, great co-workers
Cons: unrealistic expectations, strict schedule, discrepancies in quality of information
While I was there Rogers did not focus on customer service as heavily as they should have which resulted in customer dissatisfaction, which requires time to reverse. Unrealistic sales goals and ACT led to further customer dissatisfaction and a dramatic loss of customer base.

Workstations were not ergonomic, creating pain and discomfort. Different managers would give different information and it was difficult to figure out which information was correct and which information wasn't.

Numerous times customers had lengthy issues that needed to be reconciled, but instead of being given time to fix these issues, we were scolded that we were spending too much time on a particular customer and that it wasn't our "job" to fix bigger issues.

Pay was great but did not compensate for the fact I knew I was letting customers live with issues that should not have occurred in the first place if everyone had done their jobs correctly the first time.
Rogers Communications
Subject Matter Expert (SME) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 19, 2014
Rogers is a progressive company with ample opportunities for advancement. I had the opportunity to advance from an entry level position to senior business analyst. Our management team was supportive and helpful. Information flowed from executive levels down through the company in order for all areas to be part of the company direction seamlessly. The various positions that I held were challenging and very fulfilling. There were hard days and fun days. With the friendships that I had, my workings days were very satisfying. The most enjoyable times in my job, were the days that our team shined. Those days usually included acknowledgements received by either our team members or our management team. It's always great to hear that you're doing a good job. Bad days, although few, did occur and were normally a result of unknown activities that could not have been foreseen. As with all things, bad days end and we start again a little wiser then before. It is with great pleasure that I offer my knowledge and experience to your company.
Leader Company
Customer Service / Customer Relations Rep. (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, QCSeptember 11, 2012
Pros: bonuses - benefits
Cons: schedules are inflexible, poor advancement opportunities
A Typical day at work is simply sit down and use your tools to serve the customers and find solutions, always by following the company's and customer's best interests.

I have learned about great customer service, different type of customers, how to probe and identify needs, provide customer with choices of solutions, sales specialization, customer loyalty, Business code of conduct & ethics and a great deal of vocabulary.

Management is ok, things unfortunately change too fast and you find yourself going through 4 managers or more in a year, making it hard to adapt to each individual expectations or system.

Co-workers are all good people who are going through the day to day and working as a team to represent the company.

To make it interesting, sometimes it gets too repetitive. No human interactions, strictly on the phones and computer screens.

When a customer recognizes the service you have provided, best satisfying feeling ever!
A great place to work, with an extensive training program and competitive wadges.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJune 4, 2014
Pros: competitive wadge, incentives, great training program
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work would involve answering phone and e-mail questions regarding technical difficulties, billing, sales and general information in a call centre environment.

I learned a great deal with the information and tools that they provided to be successful at the job. It allowed me to be professional, knowledgable and efficient employee. Although you primarily work on your own on the phone, you are still on a small "team" that is managed by a "Team Manager" that allows you to communicate and help others, be part of a team environment and stay up to date with relevant information. You also have one-on-one time with your manager to go over calls and procedures.

The hardest part of the job is you are sitting for 7 hours a day on the phone most of the time and that can be physically hard, but the most enjoyable part is when you've helped a customer with their problem.
open opportunity work environment with no job security
Non-Pay Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 9, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: not enough people on our team to support the work
While I like my job, I feel its time for me to move on and try something new. I have been with the company nine years and would like to start setting my expectations higher so that I can be more challenged on a daily basis. A typical day at work is spent behind a computer, sitting at a deck, auditing contractor work, invoicing the contractors, training other employees in the company regarding new systems, or creating job aid to support these training sessions. I spend a lot of time helping to develop new and improved ways to work with new systems that are being brought into the company. My co-works are okay. I work with a lot of women and it can be challenging at times, but I don't let inner office politics get in my way. The hardest part of my job is staying focused as I am beginning to get bored with what I do. Staying motivated is difficult. The most enjoyable part of my job is probably the people I directly work with.
Innovative company
Sr. Mgr. Sales - Engineering (Former Employee), BramptonMay 12, 2014
Pros: innovative, great people, some leadership, benefits
Cons: some leadership, silo thinking, culture, perception of a lot of layoffs
Overall a great company to work for. Held a few positions. As like any large company, some divisions do better than others (not talking about financials).
People are great.The culture overall isn't where it could be. Silo thinking still gets in the way as well as the politics.

Work/life balance depends on where you work and what your role and demands are. It was fine for me.
Numerous layoffs over the years has lead to some 'position protection' attitudes thus impacting anyone wanting to take risks or perhaps voice a different opinion from others (for the right reasons).

If you land a role in a great division you will enjoy not only the benefits or working for a large organization but also the feeling at the end of the day, that you have accomplished something to enhance the customer experience.

As a customer, I look forward to experiencing what the new CEO brings forth.
Overall great place to work
Customer Service Retention Representative (Current Employee), Pickering, ONNovember 1, 2015
Pros: mid year and yearly performance based raises and great benefits
Cons: micro managing, metrics are very strict, especially when it comes to not meeting sales targets and personal off phone time, break and lunch overages even by 1-2 minutes
Great place to work with a fast passed environment.
Very heavy on meeting metrics and when you do the bonus payouts are well worth it.
You can move up relatively quickly within the company if your willing to put in the effort and time.
No scripted verbiage and no cold calls but you can make the occasional outbound call if its for a sale.
They really give a lot of props to sales.
It's customer service so obviously there will be some stressful calls but part of the job is knowing that sometimes you need to sit there and be the verbal punching bag in order to fully understand the customer situations. plus there is always help and support steps away when needed.
You'll definitely make a lot of great friends with your coworkers.
Good work environment if the call centre is your thing
Technical Support Consultant (Current Employee), Richmond Hill,OnNovember 30, 2014
Pros: good benefits, good pay
Cons: very little flexibility in terms of vacation and days off
Typical day is coming into work logging and and just taking calls. There is a lot to learn in the environment because supporting Internet requires knowledge of a variety of computers and software programs that are constantly changing. The management is good, always willing to work with you if any issues arise, or if you are looking for career advancement. There is a mutual interest as well in ensuring you perform well in your job and not just settling for meeting only what is required. Co-workers are great, they are always there to help one another to help resolve any issues that may come up. The hardest part is dealing with people who tend to talk down to you or get upset at you based on their own assumptions of what is going on. Best part is helping someone with an issue and hearing the relief in their voice.
A large and productive company with expertise in many areas
Category Manager (Former Employee), Toronto/BramptonSeptember 20, 2014
Pros: the comradery with my staff and colleagues.
Cons: the hours could be long must as a professional i accepted this.
I worked for Rogers for more than six years always in the role of Procurement. The experience was very positive for me. I learned alot and contributed alot. The role has come to an end to to a large restructuruing mandate. I look forward to moving on to another exciting position.

In my career I learned alot about everything in Procurement including strategic sourcing, cleint relationships, negotiating, vendor management, and corporate finance.

I was a manager of a dynamic team of 3 people where we focused on the above. This was most enjoyable.

The Job presented many challenges including negotiating on behalf of many stakeholders with varying objectives. The most satsifying part of the job was to conclude a difficult negotiation with the stakeholders and most of all with suppliers.
Working as an escalations manager can be a challenging yet rewarding job.
Escalations Manager (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Opportunity for advanacment
Cons: No set schedule, long hours.
I work in a call center environment. A typical day for me would be to receive phone calls and manage accounts from irate customers
escalating to speak to a manager.
I Listen actively and identify customer concerns, offering and negotiating solutions to address concerns and ensure customer loyalty.
Establish correct expectations, enforce relief and resolve through effective communication.
Apply appropriate processes and procedures to accurately respond to client inquiries.
Ensure compliance with corporate escalation policies
Integrate tools, resources and materials into conversations to support advice and recommendations.
Maintain accurate and concise documentation regarding each call
Be accountable for calls and emails and meet or exceed customer service standards at all times.
Opportunities to advance your carrier but very corporate and $ driven
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 25, 2015
Pros: Advance and change your carrier, learn the telecom business & technologies
Cons: Thankless job, Executives that care only about $, no real innivation
Rogers has been struggling to make the "3.0" plan make a change to the corporate culture. Rather than engaging the employees the CEO seems to "tell" them what they think (his blog is mandated & monitored) and try to drive results by shaming owners of initiatives that have issues. The management does not seem to believe in what it states and invest $ where needed replacing older technologies.

The company feels like it has been acquired by the European giant Vodafone where the CEO keeps on bringing more and more executives.

While the employees are supposed to be inspired the day-to-day approach leaves much to desire in improvement to company culture.
It does not promote innovation and risk taking (although it says it does)
excellent fun work place, meet all kinds of people.
customer service (Former Employee), moncton nbSeptember 16, 2012
Pros: great benefit package, great people, cafeteria and internet cafe, downtown go out for lunch.
Cons: it can be stressful at times, not a lot of room for advancement.
It was fun went by fast fun people to be around always learning something new, I learned how to set up and activate accounts,learned how the call center worked and how many people actually worked there to serve customers on different products and services.The management was good always there to help or answer any questions you had, co workers were amazing and great to be around always helped eachother out inside and outside of work, hardest part of the job was going from day shift to overnight, and trying to get overtime.,most enjoyable part was the people i worked with knowing when i go to work its gonna be a great day, always sharing stories about different things that happen or going to happen in our lifes.