Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Employee Reviews

Poor Management
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 March 2017
The management at the Nanaimo location is VERY poor, raises were promised by certain dates, and when those dates came excuses would be made. For the Ferries location, you either have to pay out of your own pocket daily to park, or park of the road and risk a ticket- many other vendors in the Ferries location offer to pay for their employees parking. Management bases decisions off of hear say and rumors from employees.
Pros
You get to be creative/ hands on
Cons
Poor practiced management
ok
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON30 January 2017
not bad to work there, not much supervision. get to work on many different things, so its not the same every singe day. its pretty open to think of new products and make them a reality.
do not work
Production (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2017
very unprofessional... management tried firing me for being 2 months pregnant and would not try to adjust working environment for me.. dramatically cut down hours from 40 to 4..
highly do not recommend working there!!!
Pros
hours
Cons
unprofessional
fun place with chocolate to sample
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 December 2016
It was a fun place to work because it was located in the heart of downtown vancouver which attracted many tourists and cullturally diverse people. A typical day would be to sample chocolate and greet the customers which were mostly tourists. It was hard to communicate with some customers becuase they couldnt speak english, thefore making it hard to sell products. the staff was fun, helpful and kind. I enjoyed trying the new products!!
Pros
Got to sample chocolate all the time
Cons
too far. hard to commute
great work enviorment but terrible managment
sales (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON3 December 2016
everyone that works there is great and freindly but the "boss" ashton is a complete idiot and dosn't know how to run a buisness, staff. i had a great time working there the times ashton wasnt there other than that it was depressing and dull
Pros
great enviorment
Cons
managment
The WORSE chocolate company to WORK for!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 August 2016
I was hired as an Assistant Manager for Robson Flagship Store. Worked lots of overtime when company promised to pay.

In the end they didn't and waste my entire summer to fix that store. All they did was to sent in corporate staff and took over the store.

The WORSE company, don't waste your breath!!
Overall a great work environment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
I love working here. In my time here I learned a lot about confectionery cooking. Including items such as fudge, caramel, neutral candy. etc.
Pros
Fun and hours are flexible
Cons
Lots of uninterrupted stirring
Fun workplace, terrible management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2016
The job was great but the owner and manager treated me and other employees like garbage. It wasn't until a bunch of people quit that they decided to step up their game and learn that they have to start treating their employees with respect. Most of the customers who go into the store have absolutely no respect for the employees whatsoever. They treated me like I was some fast food person and I was stupid or something. Overall, the job was extremely stressful and degrading. I would not recommend any of my friends to work there.
Pros
chocolate
Cons
mostly everything
good
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2016
this job taught me muti tasking and marketing fun job the chocolate is really good!!!!!! good staff the work day is fun and busy
Loved working for this company
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 February 2016
Worked with a small great team of people! Working in a fast paced environment was great and I really enjoyed working independently as a key holder.
Was responsible for closing the store and meeting sales targets.
Very enjoyable and rewarding
Candy Cook (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON3 January 2016
Nothing was a typical day most were enjoyable. i would go to work and make 10 batches of Rocky Pop which is popcorn with 5 different types of nuts and caramel. I might also make a Seafoam. The staff were great to work with. Hardest part was learning how to make everything correctly but within the time frame u were allowed for production. I always loved to put on a show for the people walking in front of the store. Having product sitting on the table and the smell makes your mouth water.
Pros
knowing people would enjoy the product made
Cons
the short work year
Fun workplace with nice co-workers.
Retail Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON21 November 2015
I really enjoyed working here over the summer. I met a lot of new people who also enjoyed working there with each other. We could all agree working with the manager wasn't a fun job though.
Pros
salary
Cons
long hours, no weekends off
fun place to work if you like sweets.
Cook / Candy (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON18 November 2015
prepare the Rocky mountain Chocolate Factory recipe for caramel, then produce and utilize on food items. Also would make peanut brittle, fudge, candy apples.
Pros
discount on candy, worked on my schedule
Cons
physical long hours of stirring and cooking
Fun work place
FULL TIME KEY HOLDER (Former Employee) –  calgary alberta14 September 2015
Providing exceptional customer service. Managing the tills and catering to customer requests and orders. Co workers were all very good and team players
Beware
Management (Former Employee) –  Ontario14 September 2015
Corporate culture at this 'factory' is greed driven. Staff are barely in their aprons before they are 'selling' and product knowledge is sparse. Product is too often old but sold anyway- they have lists that tell the staff that it's ok til 9 months or so....it's all shipped from BC and little made in house at non franchised stores. I agree completely with the Vancouver (manager) comments...I was not proud to work for this company and I looked for a new placement the whole of my time with the company. The negativity on the ground is terrible...bullying is endemic from head office in Vancouver. It's a sad situation as there are many excellent franchisees in ownership with the company and they look to get out if they can. If the store is owned by the main company then beware.
Fun co-workers
Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta13 September 2015
A good flexible part-time job for a student as it provides time off during exams and extra shift in the summer.
Also learned how to cook chocolate.
Unfortunately the Truth
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, B.C.13 July 2015
The flagship location is supposed to be run, better than the rest of the stores since it is a corporate store. Unfortunately, the store is simply not run much better than a pop up lemonade stand. No company culture, or support from upper management. No HR processes, proper training manuals, no employee reviews, like literally no processes whatsoever.
The hardest part is pretending to care about the job when you know the business is being run in such a shady manner. There are no ethics here. The saddest part is that the products and the people that work here are beautiful. Very cute little store, in a prime location. Unfortunately they refuse to run the business ethically, treat their employees with any respect, nor do they provide incentives for selling.
I would tell anyone applying to the position to run! DO NOT work here. Very low pay for Sales Associates. No promise of hours, no training. Good luck.
Pros
good treats
Cons
everything else.
In the Aiport meeting new people
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2015
Enjoyed working at this franchise as it builded my customer service and gained knowledge on working in a team environment. Enjoyed serving customers from different countries and gained product knowledge on all the different chocolates.
Good Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake17 June 2015
The owner was quick to hire, not too concerned with experience. People that work there are very nice and accomadating. The management was a deal breaker, it is a very production focused company so there are alot of daily quotas of things to get done and only one way to do them.
Pros
in NOTL
Cons
Very Busy
Love working here
Sales-Retail (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON24 April 2015
I enjoyed working here everyday. Most of my co-workers were awesome and I got along with most of them. A typical day at work was completeing the list my manager gave the staff to do on a regular basics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9