Job Title: Purchasing Agent
Reports to: Purchasing Manager
Summary of Position:
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for the procurement of all materials used by the company, implementing the company's general purchasing policy, setting inventory levels on individual SKUs and maintaining a good relationship with the company's suppliers. They are also responsible for any other duties assigned to them by the Purchasing Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Operate within the general framework of purchasing policies established for the organization.
2. Assist in developing purchasing objectives and in formulating policies for achieving them.
3. Maintain good relations with suppliers and to see to it that the company receives favorable prices and terms.
4. Maintain regular ordering schedules.
5. Order products based on the targets approved by management.
6. Make manual adjustments to stock levels to reflect seasonality.
7. Coordinate product returns.
8. Keep informed of current market conditions.
9. Maintain confidentiality of company records and financial information.
10. Watch for possible new products that can be sold.
11. Work toward better pricing on standard products.
12. Seek opportunities to improve pricing and rebates.
13. Develop product specifications in line with company targets for quality.
14. Set and maintain inventory levels to achieve desired number of turns.
15. Order all stock and special orders, expediting when required.
16. Update purchase pricing as required.
17. Negotiating the return or disposal of all obsolete, overstocked, or slow moving products.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Responsible and reliable
- Ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Clerical and numerical accuracy
- Good mathematical skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Computer skills
- 5 years purchasing experience or 2 years experience plus a knowledge of the electrical product range
- Purchasing Certificate (not required)