Robert Half

Robert Half Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Variety
CSR and Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Markham, ONApril 1, 2014
Pros: learning how different companies run and interact with their employees
Cons: assignements weren't long enough
When I worked as a Customer Service Representative, I was working in a business that made food packaging, the orders came via phone, e-mail or fax.

I had entered the customer's order depending on who needed their order first as the system they were working with worked FIFO (fist in first out), as well as entering parts on machines that they sold. Some of the parts for the machines were coming from Germany so I needed to first confirm if we had the parts, if we didn't I needed to know how quickly they need the parts. If they could wait 2 weeks I would then enter the order and another CSR would take care of the shipment, if we had the parts it was a straight order.

The hardest part of the job was making sure that one of their customers had the appropriate PO in order for us to order their products, especially when they always insisted that they needed the product and that the PO would arrive later, which wasn't part of the agreement we had with them.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to see the end result of the products that they distributed to grocery stores, knowing that I had sent them that product in order for them to put their food products on or in.

When I worked as the Accounts Payable Clerk it was for a manufacturing plant where I verified the invoices with their data base of inventory that they received and marked the correct parts on the invoice with their inventory for that region.

After entering the invoices I filed them in their proper place, if there were any discrepancies I would e-mail the proper person for that region and file a claim number, – more... and follow up with them if I hadn't heard anything back in a week.

I received a weekly e-mail from my supervisor indicating which vendor needed to be paid. I would print the spreadsheet off and gather the invoices that needed to be paid and printed the cheques.

Once the cheques were printed depending on the amount, it required one or two signatures. If a second signature was needed it was placed in a slot with the spreadsheet and it was signed by the end of the day. Once the cheques were signed, the other cheques from the other regions were given to me, after sorting them to and gathering those that were going to the same company I had placed them into piles, indicating to be mailed, picked up, to be sent by Purolator or Fed Ex. I e-mailed wire transfers and reconciled month end.

The hardest part of the job not getting too comfortable at a job as I didn't know how long I would be there.

The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new computer software, the various management styles as well as how different manufacturing companies are run. – less
Different AP/ AR , intermediate accountant postings for different temp and contract positions
Various Temporary Contracts (Current Employee), Burnaby and North VancouverJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: opportunity to work and experience work culture and habits within different organisations
Cons: working hours may be cut.
The typical day is to check the priority of work duties.

Start on the most time pressured job and multitask on work which requires time to come back to you with information. Then work on routine tasks.

For AP postings, seek authorisation, postings in QuickBooks, contacting vendors and clients for payment's and reconciliation of vendor statements, bank and visa statement reconciliations.

For AR and Billing postings, preparation of billing summaries for projects and invoicing, analyse aged debtors listing, reconcile sales ledger statements and AR collection.

Intermediate accounting posting involves both AP and AR procedures and ad hoc projects such as preparation of budgetary reports, audit checks on receipts, grants and donation and reconciliation, assistance with compiling and checking all are in order for audit purposes.

Other duties in general include cashier duties, petty cash reconciliation and bank runs.

Worked with intercompany transactions including a non profit audited organisation. Also to work with stringent protocols and suggestions in improving them to achieve efficiency and accuracy.

Even though the co workers are working mostly independently within the department, the result of one's work is often a continuation for the others so it is important to check and make sure that the combined effort is optimised and satisfactory.
Very disappointed, they do not stand by their employees
Ex-Contract Employee (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 21, 2012
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
I was at a position for over 3 weeks with great reviews then one lady came back from holidays and within 1 hour I was horrible, how can you go from great to bad in 1 hour because one person comes back from holidays, and rather than take the 3 weeks prior great results and reports, they took the side of the company, did not stand by me what so ever.

Another one I was supposed to go to for 6mnths and I even turned down another job for it, fell through because they did not keep in contact with the company in Calgary rather than the one in Toronto because the one in Calgary had already hired someone for the position, I showed up the first day of work and no one knew who I was and what I was supposed to be doing there.

Not only cost me 6mnths worth of pay but another position.

I have been working since I was 12yrs and have NEVER been fired or had a bad review.

Then they told me that they were in the business to make money, not promote that it was up to the individual to promote, I mean holy the whole reason in going to these type of companies is for them to promote you and your experiences.

I also kept telling them I am not an accountant in anyway yet they kept putting me forth for those positions and of course I was never chosen for them....cause gheesh I AM NOT AN ACCOUNTANT, then they said that was my fault...like holy again, I never said I was.

I just found that they do not stand by the people they put out there and I find that very sad, even the Gov and their issues stood by me more.

I would never recommend anyone to these people.
Great work opporunities with varied Accounting roles and projects
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: varied work assignments
Cons: salary/benefits
In my role as an Accounting Clerk at Robert Half Finance and Accounting, I primarily worked on a long-term work assignment at Amovo Workplace Environments after which I had the opportunity to transfer to Amovo Inc. on a full time basis.

In my role as an Accounting Clerk, I had performed successful creations of quotes as per client design approval and converted these quotes into purchase orders to be transmitted electronically to vendors.

I have meticulously verified product details on purchase orders by cross checking vendor product acknowledgements with the generated sales orders. Subsequently reported major discrepancies to vendors. Subsequently, coordinated shipment information between sales and production ensuring adherence to deadlines on major client projects namely various Ministries and law firms

In addition, I have Independently managed company payables, receivables, supplies and overall cash flow for daily operating activities.
Engaging and fun teamwork
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: the hour lunch
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work is hard but it's enjoyable because of the challenges that arise and the comforting atmosphere where people are wanting to help if you have any problems. I would come in and grab a tea from the kitchen, sit down in a cubicle and commence my work. I've learned that everyone's work in the office is connected and what I mean by this is that there are many divisions in the company and they all work together to help an individual get a job and on Mondays they always congratulate the teams that have done well and give encouragement to the other teams to keep up the good work. My co-workers are amazing and they're really helpful and friendly. The hardest part of the job I would say is trying to stay focused sometimes because sitting in that cubicle from 9-5 is kind of tiring and I would say the most enjoyable part is meeting new people and enjoying the atmosphere of different personalities.
Working with Robert Half - Humber River Regional Hospital Foundation
Various Positions (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2012
My assignment at Humber River Regional Hospital Foundation (HRRH) was through Robert Half (Office Team)

The typical day at the office started with checking of emails and taking action on them if any. Updating files on Raisers' Edge and other regular office work.

I learned taking minutes, a task which I thought was not my forte and with the help of the management and my immediate supervisor I was able to take minutes very comfortably.

My co-workers were very helpful since the day I walked into the officer. There was no time during my stay at the HRRH that i was treated like a temp..

There was no such part as the hardest part of the job as I was guided throughout my stay at HRRH

All work at the HRRH was enjoy able especially when being taught about the Raisers' Edge and the amazing parts of the program.
Not worth a lip
employee (Former Employee), WaterlooMarch 26, 2014
Cons: everything
Signed up with Accountemps years ago, in all this time they placed me on one 6 weeks long assignment with Open Text. Then when it ran out I phoned them to say the assignment is over and the recruiter goes "Why? What happen?" As if I've done something to end it, the tone of her voice was kind of accusatory. Then the Open Text asked for me again because they were impressed but I've found another job with a different placement agency, oh hell I may as well name them It was Prior Resources and I worked for them for over 3 years, never ran out of placements and they even nominated me an employee of the month. Accountemps not a chance. Nor recommended. Why do they keep putting these jobs up over and over? I'm sure they received a slur of resumes and still didn't fill the position? Kind of fishy. How can the same job be available month after month?
Productive and exposure to various industries
Accounting Consultant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 4, 2014
Was able to design and create a working multi-tasking ability specially that there are two companies that I am working on. Each company has its own peculiar operation in dealing with vendors and customers, two different purchasing system and two distinct chart of accounts.

I have high regards with management personnel of this two companies, they have interlocking functions yet they were able to function as one.

My co-workers are great and gives each and everyone the support needed to met our objective.

Conflict of ideas could not be avoided in any organization but it eventually resulted in a healthy resolution making it enjoyable and knowledge-gaining experience.
They gave me some very good contracts.
Contractor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 12, 2014
Being a contractor is a constant learning process, as each new company always has a different computer program that they use and must be learned quickly. Since the positions are usually for maternity leave, vacation cover off or just to assist in catching up on the back logs, its a challenge to keep up with constant change of co-workers, positions, travel and duties expected. They used to be a lot busier back in the day, but now it seems many companies have found their permanent employees and in office replacements and cover offs. There are no raises though, and there are no benefits included. If you pass on a contract that's offered, you may be waiting a very long time before another one comes along.
Loved working from home office
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Thornhill, ONAugust 1, 2014
I was solely responsible for all the administrative and accounting related work as I work from home. I enjoyed being the part of MCFCF though for short period of time because I got to learn that new ways of helping the world direct from my home. My typical day at work started 9am in the morning. The first thing I did was created a worksheet of important tasks that need to be dealt with for example dead line for payments and bank withdrawals, mailing tax receipts and other important documents. Although working from home I am very organized. The hardest part of the job is to make those important phone calls where they put you on hold for hours.
An opportuniy to make you yourself.
Commission Auditor - Walton International (Former Employee), calgaryMay 28, 2012
Pros: exposure to big companies
Cons: low salaries
It is a client oriented company where managers and staff forget that candidates are as important for the business as their clients.

In my experience managers were disorganized, I received a complaining call because I was supposed to show up in a client's office when I never received the assignment and I got the notice after I stop the person on the phone and I aware her about what happened.
When I was finishing my assignment just about to start my maternity leave I received another call asking me if I was willing to change job and start in a full time position right away.
Frauds
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2012
Pros: nothing pro about this company
Cons: they spent more time signing people up then finding jobs or people.
I would never ever recommend Robert Half/Office Team! I registered with them years ago and registered a few years ago. They have never contacted me, nor do they never return my calls for bogus jobs they post. They advertise jobs that don't exist, wasted my time by having me do hours worth of testing and then filed my file in the twilight zone. I know someone who works there and she told me that RB/OT was more focused on populating their database than actually placing people. They are known as the worst placement agency in the city of Calgary.

November 7, 2012

After reading comments, it sounds that the offices are inconsistent, some good others bad. As a Calgarian, they have an awful reputation here.

November 13, 2012

I totally agree. I moved to Calgary from Toronto with 5 years experience working for the Government (Supervisor IT) and Oracle Certified as an Application Developer. Joined the group. The requirements for IT positions were almost impossible to have. One wanted 8 years experience as a Microsoft SQL Server Administrator and also 8 years Oracle Database Administrator. It was like saying they wanted you to be a General in the Army and a Captain in the Navy. I hope someone writes an article in the papers about them.

November 21, 2012

They have no problem throwing the employees under the bus as the saying goes, and when you try and stand up for yourself you are called argumentative, I really do not get these people that feel they can say whatever the hell they want to you and about you but when you make a comment you are a bad person, getting really sick and tired of that.

Productive Fun and Good Team Environment
Technician (Former Employee), Mississauga OntarioJuly 26, 2014
Pros: teamwork/learning process
Cons: activities diminished toward end of contract
My Typical Day at work was busy on some days and other quite no constant.
I learned to Configure IP Phones/Time Clocks/Red Button Alarms/LPDA/PDAS/Radio Frequencies/Wireless Devices/Routers/Cabling/Various Operating Systems/Different Software.
All Co-Workers were nice and helpful.
Trying to keep up with all the work and Timing Myself.
The team the people at work and the learning process that came with the Job. The Team made the job more pleasant and encouraged me to learn everything on the Job.
Don't let their name recognition fool you
candidate (Former Employee), West end, GTAFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: useful resources
Cons: see comments, enough said!
Definitely not one of the better recruiters. Dishonest to candidates, shifty behaviour, focused on the quick payout - if you register for both temp and permanent work, don't bother even dreaming they will find you something permanent. Don't care about behaviour of their clients towards candidates, just as long as they are getting income. Their commission rates are ridiculous compared to other recruiters so you will be scrutinized that much more and less likely to get extended and/or hired in a full-time role.
Exceptional Professionalism
Law Clerk/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 14, 2014
Robert Half is a temporary placement agency. I have been placed with some very good companies, where I have been able to learn a lot about various company cultures and picking up very valuable skills and information that I never knew before. That is the best part of the job. Also, when a contract has ended, I leave each company on good terms, with solid contacts should I ever need to call on them for references, charitable donations/sponsorship ect. The management team at Robert Half are very helpful, always ready to get me on assignments.
Dependable agency
Reception/Data Entry (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 20, 2014
This company was huge in Calgary, and could find me work consistently. The best part was constantly being able to learn new things, and being able to change the job I was working at, I could go to a new place every week if that's what I wanted, and it was nice to know that if the job you were at liked you, they'd ask Robert Half to extend your contract. The worst part, was knowing that if I have a 3 week contract, even if I loved the job, and the person who was being covered while on vacation was coming back, that I would not be able to stay, and would need to start over at a new place.
Flexibility to work when I want
RECEPTIONIST/ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee), North York, ONSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: learning new skills, online training to upgrade my skills
Cons: work varies and sometimes there's nothing availablei
I appreciate the work/life balance. I really enjoy meeting new people and learning about companies and their values. Co-workers are usually happy to help you settle in and familiarize you with the position. A typical day at work is often filled with new things to do. If it is long term assignment that I really felt comfortable doing the hardest part is leaving. The most enjoyable part of a position is being asked to return.
Professional and Helpful
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto,OntarioOctober 4, 2014
Pros: opportunities and great team of recruiters
Cons: wish i wasn't temp as i would like to work for them direct
Ok folks we have a wonderful team coming out of the Toronto branch that are the best of the best. Professional and helpful beyond this company will help you advance and will also provide training by way of online courses. I have the utmost respect for these folks as they are doing there job and helping others with some great opportunities. Would work for this company again and enjoy the team - just the best. Rochelle
Perfect Job for Big City!
Administrative Staff (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCMarch 28, 2015
Everyday there was a job waiting for me. Office temping really suited my life style in a city that I wanted to see every part of. I had a great time meeting new people at all the engineering firms they really made it easy for me to settle right in and get to work. The management team at Robert Half is fantastic they allowed me to complete courses that grew the number of jobs I qualified for and I can still take that experience with me. It was a challenge to fill in at the last minute but I still enjoyed the hustle.
Professional, energized and comfortable place to work.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2014
Review the days work. Organize, priortize and allocate any work that needs further information.
Start my invoice batches, separated by which company the invoice belongs too and if it is intercompany.
Key in invoices, print invoice register and proof reading enteries.
Assist others with enquiries and answer vendors questions.
Prepare cheque run of invoices, do quick cheques of urgent payments needed and prepare cheques for government remitances.
Headquarters