Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work.
Superintendent - Copper Operations (Current Employee), Magna, UtahFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: great benefits, pay
Cons: few holidays
Challenging and fulfilling work. Working for Rio Tinto is great. They are a world-wide company with many opportunities to advance and move within the company. Rio Tinto is focused on safety and producing a high quality product to its customers. The people that I work with are friendly and cooperative.
Overworked, Long Hours, Stress
Administration (Former Employee), Magna, UtahJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: salary, benefits
Cons: work long hours, miss lunch, work not appreciated
This company pays well and has good benefits. You will find yourself working long, long hours. If you are in the Environmental Group you will be not only working all day, but having to be on Night Call, Weekend and Holiday Duty rotation. The work you do is not appreciated or rewarded. The current boss at Environmental is arrogant, self focused and destroys – more... morale there. As they say......buyer beware! – less
Great team to work with, work life balance great
Document Controller (Former Employee), Brisbane CBDJanuary 23, 2013
Working for Rio was excellent, some things in relation to the way they managed projects could of used some work, however, the project control team was tight and great to work with, enjoyable part of my day was receiving and processing documentation and open communication between CEO's, Managers and staff was maintained,

I did not personally find anything – more... hard about it, everyone was friendly and open, the only reason I have left RTA was due to completing my contract – less
RTIO
Superintendent (Former Employee), PannawonicaJanuary 21, 2013
Pros: excellent work conditions
Cons: isolated areas which do not appeal to families
Great place to work, good people, great conditions. Management were good.
good times
casting plant technician (Former Employee), lynemouthJanuary 6, 2013
learned a lot of new skills,forklift trucks,overhead crane,lots of computer skills,
i worked with a great bunch of lads
This company likes to dump its senior workers for those they can get cheaper!
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee), USADecember 26, 2012
Pros: family activities
Cons: long hours, no gratitude for job well done, physically demanding, low morale!
Worked for this company as a top rated Executive Assistant for approximately 20 years. I had watched this company through the years treat their employees as they got older shabbily. If you are over 45 and especially a woman watch your back they will find a way to get rid of you. Experience means nothing and neither does your knowledge. Myself and two – more... other women in my area were laid off for no apparent reason and when you asked why they could not say it was due to any type of job performance. We had simply become expendable due to our expertise and our salaries. Want experience in your field then work there after you get what you need from them and then move on to a better company. – less
Safety aware associates, management values work culture and values
Miner (Current Employee), Boron, CADecember 21, 2012
Pros: payed holidays, vacation, sick leave.
Cons: high safety hazards
I Have qualification in many areas of the mine so my duties can change often. Safety meeting first thing, then asssignment for the day includes crushing Ore, Drilling Blast holes, loading blast holes with explosives, operating Haul trucks, operating loader feeding crusher Hopper with Ore etc..

Hazard, safety, environmental quality control and training.
Cares – more... for there employees and production in processing Ore
Working together through team work
Being aware of all task performed
Working with competent employees and trusting there skills – less
Was a great place to work
Potroom Operator (Former Employee), Lynemouth SmelterNovember 15, 2012
Loved working here but unfortunately it has now closed down.
Lowest pay in mining industry
technician (Former Employee), WANovember 15, 2012
Pros: lots of training, fifo earns frequent flyer points...
Cons: top lowest pay mining company, no life balance roster, too many non-experience people running the site (graduates etc)
Thought the company culture is good, after joining and realized that some of the leader are selfish and racist. And some of the department have 3-4 people working and just mark around all the day.
Safety is a key component
Health & Safety Advisor (Current Employee), Boron, CAOctober 25, 2012
Pros: lots of opportunity to advance.
Cons: must be willing to relocate if you want to advance.
Rio Tinto takes safety performance seriously. On our site, all are able to stop any job if a safety concern rises. The downside is there is a lot of paperwork to back it all up.
I expected that I would retire from this company. I never felt I needed to go anywhere else, I Loved my job and all the availability to everything the
Procurement superintendent (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: bonuses, traveling, family interaction..etc.
Cons: there really were no cons
I obviously enjoyed my job, there were changes consistently I stayed 30 years and still would like to be there. Hardest part of the job was some of the overseas travel, for awhile it was quite extensive. Most enjoyable was my employees and the interaction with being able to train them to help further their career. I learned every aspect of purchasing – more... and management, Safety protocol, and training in HR procedures. – less
Safe Work Culture and Good Work Life Balance
Market Analyst (Former Employee), SingaporeSeptember 11, 2012
Safe Work Culture and Good Work Life Balance

Good co-workers with team mentality
Challenging and demanding but fun most of the time.
Principal Advisor, Quality and scheduling (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: ery good income and benefits
Cons: ever changing senior leadereship, makes it tough to start over often
I have enjoyed working with many dynamic hard working individuals with a common goal to produce a product safely. I managed from 3 salary members up to 200 hourly and salary work force and very satisfying. Rio Tinto like allot of companies are in continous change and that makes it very challenging, all part of strong leadership. I have had extensive – more... involement in the Six Sigma methodoligies and find the the systems very rewarding and results driven. I was honored with Process Owner of the year award twicw because of my heavy involement with the systems. I loved working with the many dicsiplines and Union work forces, never a dull moment. – less
Overall good place to work.
Sourcing Analyst (Former Employee), South Jordan, UtahSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: benefits and retirement
Cons: inept management... all the way to the top.
as long as your intent is to go to work, do your job and go home with a paycheck and good benefits this is a great place to work. If you are not very intelligent, but still want to be a manager this is the place for you.
productive company with great opportunities
SITE CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee), mozambiqueAugust 21, 2012
Pros: accommodation and meals
Cons: ..
great comapany
comunications
efficiant management
great co workers
language barrier
roster
a good safe, friendly & productive work envioment.
operator (Current Employee), ClermontAugust 18, 2012
Pros: plenty
Cons: poor roads & floors
Good equipment, good work values, conditions, with friendly workers, always updating training. roads could do with a bit of more attention.
Highly Productive
MSO (Multi-skilled Operator (Former Employee), Lynemouth NorthumberlandAugust 16, 2012
We worked in teams of thirteen people in a twelve hour continental shift pattern. We placed scrap and molten aluminium into holding furnaces where we added the required hadiner elements to produce the ordered alloy.
We then cast the metal into workable ingot through direct chill casting machines.
The cast ingots were then lifted from the casting pit – more... with an overhead crane and sawn to the order leangth.
The work was hard hot dagerous and dirty but the team I worked with were well trained and hard working and fun loveing.
The managment not so much of the abouve. – less
I loved my job!
Logistics Coordinator/Recruitment Officer (Former Employee), Brisbane, QLDJuly 22, 2012
Pros: autonomous work environment, support from leaders
Cons: long hours
I loved my job at Rio Tinto. I had the best of both worlds in that I was able to work autonomously and manage my own time yet be part of a team that worked well together to finalise tasks.
There was no typical day - it was all dependent on what the site wanted in terms of recruitment and other needs. I could be organising a medical one moment, drafting – more... a contract of employment the next but spend the rest of the afternoon relocating a family from the other side of the country.
After a few months I was promoted to Recruitment Officer where I had the opportunity to complete phone interviews, job briefs and resume screening. I was thrilled with the new challenge and reviews were positive.
If I were ever to move back to Brisbane I am confident I would be able to return to the role. – less
Great remuneration.
Team Leader/Accredited Instructor (Former Employee), Lynemouth NorthumberlandJuly 16, 2012
Pros: good teamworking among the staff.
Cons: dirty conditions at times.
Great place to work while it lasted,money was good,learned transferable skills like man management,lean manufacturing.
very fun and family orientad company
UTILITY MAINTENANCE (Former Employee), Boron, CAJuly 15, 2012
Pros: alot of overtime and great pay
Cons: no health care
the job was just a temperary position becouse they were on strike , but they promissed us fueture jobs ,but it never happened.

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the – Read more