Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Weipa QLD Australia4 January 2014
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Favouritism BS
tres bonne entreprise
Mec.entretien chantier et diesel mach. lourde (Former Employee) –  shawinigan (quebec31 December 2013
pour moi c'est de bonne annee au sien RTA car j'ai pu me dévoppe comme mec.diesel et entretien car il mon permis de travail et alle a l'ecole en meme temp toute en encouragent .

on n'a peut aussi batir avec l'aide ingenieur des outil pour fasilité le travail des operateur des salle de cuve.

je pourrais vous en dire plus mais pour moi j'ai passe 25 ans de ma vie a etre choiyer tant au avantage qu'au salaire et la bonne entente syndicat et patronat.
Pros
te donne la posibilite de te demarque dans des projet ou experience
Cons
qu'il y a une fermeture (tros vielle)
journee de travail
Opérateur usine de traitement des eaux (Former Employee) –  Shawinigan10 October 2013
Rencontre de début de quart ou l'ont échange entre employés et superviseur sur les travaux a effectuer, la sécurité et les statistiques.

Planifier la journee avec notre equipe si il y a des contraintes ou des changements.

Parfois difficile de satisfaire et conjuger tous les autres departement pour que tous puisse effectuer leur travaux.

Satisfaction de notre travail avec le partage des stastiques et résultats, petite competition entre operateur.
Pros
travail d'équipe
Cons
horaire difficile avec famille amis
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 October 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Travail d'équipe
MÉCANICIEN D'ENTRETIEN (Current Employee) –  Shawinigan, QC29 August 2013
Bonne collaboration entre les différents corps de métier
Apprentissage constant
Formation continue
Santé et sécurité au travail
Pros
Bons fonds de pension et santé et sécurité au travail
Cons
Usine poluante pour l'environnement
Expérience de travaille exceptionelle
Adjointe de gestion (Former Employee) –  Sorel-Tracy, QC8 August 2013
J'ai eu la chance de travailler avec une équipe exceptionelle.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC9 July 2013
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity.
Pros
Recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons
Long working hours with every alternate weekend off.
excellent work environment
Miner (Former Employee) –  diavik,NWT19 June 2013
the work environment has an positive environment,work safe and learn too advance at an steady rate.
Pros
nice camp
Cons
no outdoor activities.
Driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL16 June 2013
Worked with company transporting workers around job site. To and from airport. Worked with great management team and safety was a priority at all times.Hardest part of job was winter conditions on gravel roads with full load of workers and slippery conditions with many hills and turns. Keep yourself alert as to conditions of the roads and block out noises from workers being transported.Enjoyable past was getting workers back to camp safely and taking them to airport for their turn-a-rounds for days off.
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories, Canada13 June 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
travail intéressant conviable et salaire plus que convenable
Planificateur entretien (Former Employee) –  Sorel-Tracy11 June 2013
je peux parler pour QIT et non pour toutes les autres unitées de RIO TINTO, mais l'usine de Qit, donc j'ai fait partie pendant pres de 24 ans. C,est l,endroit pour travailler dans notre région et moi je peux comparer ,car j'ai travailler 20 ans dans une autre usine majeur de la région
Pros
Nos patrons nous laissent faire notre Job
Cons
les employé(e) ont perdu toute identification a leur usine
Environnement de travail...
Retraité (Former Employee) –  Shawinigan, QC23 December 2012
Travail d'équipe valorisant et "productif"...Relations interpersonnelles façiles...Je me considère comme un bon "soldat", loyal...
Pros
$$$$$
Cons
forte "pression" parfois inutile...
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2012
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.
Pros
pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons
long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
Great environment and friendly People
Senior Project / Solution Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal28 November 2012
The working environment is peaceful and a place where you can learn a lot if you that is your thing
Pros
lots of benefits for fulltime staff
Large multinational workplace, you are a number.
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC5 November 2012
Workday starts with a Pre-shift meeting which may include safety items, I was tasked with repairing old equipment often requiring very frequent "Emergency" repairs. Management people under a lot of stress to "just Make Do" until smelter is rebuilt. Co-workers very hardworking and helpful and eager to accomplish assignments in as safe a fashion as possible. The hardest part of the job was doing the same "emergency" time and time again because too much of the machinery was far past its economic service life. The most enjoyable part of the day was the end of shift wrap up meetings.
Pros
great pay
Cons
too much overtime
Expérience enrichissante
recrutement, sourcing, avantages sociaux (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 September 2012
Equipe très professionnelle, encadrante et formatrice.
Beaucoup de plaisir à travailler avec des personnes de grande qualité et toujours disponible
Pros
caféteriat, gym, centre médical
Productive, enjoyable place to work.
Central Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT13 July 2012
By far this is the best company that I have ever worked for. Pay and benefits are top notch. Opprtunities for advancement are good.
High pay, excellent benefits, poor management/ labour dynamic
Industrial maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Kitimat British Columbia Canada28 May 2012
a tyical day at work, starts with a safety meeting, .performance review and work assigment. It is a high priority from managment to stick to the assigned work scheduale however, due to the age and overall condition of the plant this is a very difficult task. Each of the various departments is in a similair condition and overall interdepartmental communications can get ineffective at times creating a lot of unwanted stress. My co-workers can be and usually are the best part of the job.
Pros
sabbatical
Cons
trying to get the sabatcal when you want it