Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Safety is a key component
Health & Safety Advisor (Current Employee), Boron, CAOctober 25, 2012
Pros: lots of opportunity to advance.
Cons: must be willing to relocate if you want to advance.
Rio Tinto takes safety performance seriously. On our site, all are able to stop any job if a safety concern rises. The downside is there is a lot of paperwork to back it all up.
I expected that I would retire from this company. I never felt I needed to go anywhere else, I Loved my job and all the availability to everything the
Procurement superintendent (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 13, 2012
Pros: bonuses, traveling, family interaction..etc.
Cons: there really were no cons
I obviously enjoyed my job, there were changes consistently I stayed 30 years and still would like to be there. Hardest part of the job was some of the overseas travel, for awhile it was quite extensive. Most enjoyable was my employees and the interaction with being able to train them to help further their career. I learned every aspect of purchasing – more... and management, Safety protocol, and training in HR procedures. – less
Safe Work Culture and Good Work Life Balance
Market Analyst (Former Employee), SingaporeSeptember 11, 2012
Safe Work Culture and Good Work Life Balance

Good co-workers with team mentality
Challenging and demanding but fun most of the time.
Principal Advisor, Quality and scheduling (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: ery good income and benefits
Cons: ever changing senior leadereship, makes it tough to start over often
I have enjoyed working with many dynamic hard working individuals with a common goal to produce a product safely. I managed from 3 salary members up to 200 hourly and salary work force and very satisfying. Rio Tinto like allot of companies are in continous change and that makes it very challenging, all part of strong leadership. I have had extensive – more... involement in the Six Sigma methodoligies and find the the systems very rewarding and results driven. I was honored with Process Owner of the year award twicw because of my heavy involement with the systems. I loved working with the many dicsiplines and Union work forces, never a dull moment. – less
Overall good place to work.
Sourcing Analyst (Former Employee), South Jordan, UtahSeptember 10, 2012
Pros: benefits and retirement
Cons: inept management... all the way to the top.
as long as your intent is to go to work, do your job and go home with a paycheck and good benefits this is a great place to work. If you are not very intelligent, but still want to be a manager this is the place for you.
productive company with great opportunities
SITE CO-ORDINATOR (Current Employee), mozambiqueAugust 21, 2012
Pros: accommodation and meals
Cons: ..
great comapany
comunications
efficiant management
great co workers
language barrier
roster
a good safe, friendly & productive work envioment.
operator (Current Employee), ClermontAugust 18, 2012
Pros: plenty
Cons: poor roads & floors
Good equipment, good work values, conditions, with friendly workers, always updating training. roads could do with a bit of more attention.
Highly Productive
MSO (Multi-skilled Operator (Former Employee), Lynemouth NorthumberlandAugust 16, 2012
We worked in teams of thirteen people in a twelve hour continental shift pattern. We placed scrap and molten aluminium into holding furnaces where we added the required hadiner elements to produce the ordered alloy.
We then cast the metal into workable ingot through direct chill casting machines.
The cast ingots were then lifted from the casting pit – more... with an overhead crane and sawn to the order leangth.
The work was hard hot dagerous and dirty but the team I worked with were well trained and hard working and fun loveing.
The managment not so much of the abouve. – less
I loved my job!
Logistics Coordinator/Recruitment Officer (Former Employee), Brisbane, QLDJuly 22, 2012
Pros: autonomous work environment, support from leaders
Cons: long hours
I loved my job at Rio Tinto. I had the best of both worlds in that I was able to work autonomously and manage my own time yet be part of a team that worked well together to finalise tasks.
There was no typical day - it was all dependent on what the site wanted in terms of recruitment and other needs. I could be organising a medical one moment, drafting – more... a contract of employment the next but spend the rest of the afternoon relocating a family from the other side of the country.
After a few months I was promoted to Recruitment Officer where I had the opportunity to complete phone interviews, job briefs and resume screening. I was thrilled with the new challenge and reviews were positive.
If I were ever to move back to Brisbane I am confident I would be able to return to the role. – less
Great remuneration.
Team Leader/Accredited Instructor (Former Employee), Lynemouth NorthumberlandJuly 16, 2012
Pros: good teamworking among the staff.
Cons: dirty conditions at times.
Great place to work while it lasted,money was good,learned transferable skills like man management,lean manufacturing.
very fun and family orientad company
UTILITY MAINTENANCE (Former Employee), Boron, CAJuly 15, 2012
Pros: alot of overtime and great pay
Cons: no health care
the job was just a temperary position becouse they were on strike , but they promissed us fueture jobs ,but it never happened.
well managed workplace
Mobile Plant Operator,Dump Truck (Current Employee), Argyle Diamond Mine,Kununurra WAJuly 7, 2012
Pros: accomadation is very good, like a resort moreso than a camp.
Cons: being away from my family for two at a time
early starts up at 3.30,breakfast at 4,on the bus at 4.30,start work 5.00.12 hr shift til 5.30 on the bus back to accomadation area ,have tea 6.30 back to room, shower,go for 30 minuite walk then to bed.
Do that one week days,then one week nights.Hardest part is long hrs
All the team get along really well,have fun and joke a lot,help eachother always
learnt a new skill about making aluminiun met new friends
potroom engineer/operator (Former Employee), lynemouthJune 21, 2012
Pros: new skills
Cons: not enough trainers to train everybody on all jobs
once all the levels and problems were sorted out in the morning it was quiet we watched the pot line for other problems and anode effects there were some good workers there who would help out when they were finished there work i learnt a lot from alcan about aluminium smelting and even though i was hard work at times i really enjoyed the work
Constantly evolving energetic environment
Signal Technician (Current Employee), Pilbara, western AustraliaJune 17, 2012
Pros: good accomodation and facilities
Cons: being away from family
On arrival to depot liase with train control about outstanding activities to be attended, Catch up with previous shift activities,then attend to faults or proceed with Maintenance, return to depot and log days events.

I have learnt a large amount of administration and communication aspects that can more efficiently enhance the day to day and future – more... direction of workplace activities.

Management seem to be proactive in keeping up with the smooth opperation of facilities but unfortunately have not provided the support and training that was indicated during the employment process.

My co-workers are a diverse group that are a great team to work with that will supply assistance if required.

The hardest part of my job would be the decreasing amount of organisation and increasing amount of expectation without getting the assistance required while the most enjoyable aspect is the constantly evolving requirement of product knowledge and challenge of keeping up a reliable and smooth running rail network. – less
DRILLER
driller blast hole drilling (Former Employee), hope downJune 14, 2012
well the best thing about drilling an exploration driling wher that i get to challange myself on new thing on driffent places in WA different ground different enviromentend an getting to meet new peaple an making new friend there somtime up an down but we alway manage to push throught an get the job done everyday is akways a new challange.
Past employee.
Operator (Former Employee), ClermontJune 3, 2012
Pros: was close to where i lived only a 10min drive.
Good company to work for. Enjoyed the lifestyle roster, learnt to operate the Rear dump trucks. I had a good working relationship with my co workers and supervisers.
rio was good too me
ex exploration (Former Employee), outside NEWMAN never never tent city.June 1, 2012
Pros: good work mates
Cons: just toughen up for long hours..
i did a cntract job and worked for RIO TINTO 15 yrs ago and i was very happy too be there with themin those days..
good place to work
operator/team leader (Former Employee), carbon plantMay 29, 2012
Pros: good wages
Cons: dirty job
good place to work until notice period then everyone was kept in the dark and the closure was handled very badly
High pay, excellent benefits, poor management/ labour dynamic
Industrial maintenance Electrician (Current Employee), Kitimat British Columbia CanadaMay 28, 2012
Pros: sabbatical
Cons: trying to get the sabatcal when you want it
a tyical day at work, starts with a safety meeting, .performance review and work assigment. It is a high priority from managment to stick to the assigned work scheduale however, due to the age and overall condition of the plant this is a very difficult task. Each of the various departments is in a similair condition and overall interdepartmental communications – more... can get ineffective at times creating a lot of unwanted stress. My co-workers can be and usually are the best part of the job. – less
Great job but closure of plant
Process operator / temporary trainer (Former Employee), LynemouthMay 17, 2012
Pros: great wages and very interesting job
Cons: closure
Accustomed to carrying out full range of Start up/ Process Operator tasks & duties to a exceptional standard.
Temporary Instructor/Trainer and Safety representative.
Operated & controlled a range of Heavy plant vehicles and Machinery including 65 ton overhead & remote cranes
Participating in information centre meetings at the start and end of shift – more... to maximize productivity and record any potential issues.
Valued member and Shift representative of manufacturing excellence committee
Trained & authorized to instruct new & existing employees in the safe use & operation of potroom vehicles
Completed pre-work inspections of vehicles in accordance to company regulations and completed all driving tasks in accordance to stringent company health & safety regulations
Reported potential vehicle mechanical problems to maintenance minimizing major breakdowns & hold-ups
Completed tasks & duties in accordance with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Competent in the use & safe operation of a range of hand tools – less

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto’s principal business is to sustainably find, develop, mine and process natural resources. The Group is a major – Read more