Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
extremely busy
supervisor/trainer (Former Employee), supervisorJuly 15, 2014
extremely busy supervising 160 plus trainee operators, on 3 sites. I learned that people have different ways of learning machinery and they were in a hurry to learn more. Not always accepting that learning to operate machinery takes time, there is so much involved in becoming an operator and that its just not about driving, its about knowing everything – more... regarding machinery that they are on, informed them that I still learn things and I have been operating for years, there is always something to learn. management were very helpful and extremely patient, My co-workers were great support and we looked after each other. The hardest part of the job was shift change of supervisors, we all had different ways of supervising. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the trainees graduate at the end of their 2 years and obtaining their certificates, the hard work had paid off for them. – less
Good camp and people to work with
Multi Skilled Operator (Mine Services) (Former Employee), Hail Creek MackayJuly 1, 2014
Pros: friends
I liked working at Hail Creek, the people I liked the every day challenge made for good job satisfaction I hope I can go back one day
went home at night
Was a shift Safety Representative (Former Employee), Paraburdoo W.A.June 24, 2014
PICKED ORDERS
CONDUCTED INVENTORIES
ORDERD ITEMS
ISSUED TOOLS
SIGNED IN TOOLS
hotel type room with great food
Mechanical and Wet Serviceman (Former Employee), top end of western austrilia in the kimberlyJune 3, 2014
Pros: great mates
Cons: not much to whinge about
normal 12 hour day plus travel. Great learning site, great training and top blokes to work with. not much to complain about because the team and management were there to back everyone up
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Australian Fire Control Paraburdoo Carpenter (Former Employee), WA, PARABURDOO.June 2, 2014
Pros: good conditions
Cons: to many regulations.
WORKING A WAY IS GREAT,LEARNING NEW THINGS,MEETING NEW PEOPLE,MANAGEMENT AND CO-WORKERS A GREAT,THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS NOT HAVING THE PROPER TOOLS TO DO THE JOB.THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB,IS LEARNING NEW THINGS, TEAM WORK.AND GETTING THE JOB DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
Large Multinational Organization with Strong Financials
Global Marketing Analyst (Current Employee), Denver, COMay 8, 2014
Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Focused in finding, mining, and processing the Earth’s mineral resources and operating in over 40 countries in order to maximize value for our shareholders. We have the people, capabilities, and resources to supply a world hungry for the metals and minerals that are used in everyday life, in diverse – more... products – from fertilizers, mobiles phones to cars. – less
Good people, great environment.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), NT, AustraliaMay 7, 2014
Start off with a Safety meeting. explaining things we did safe the previous shift, and things we could improve on.
Did triva quiz on nightshifts to manage fatigue.
Crew all got along great.
Productive and Good Salaries
Administrator (Former Employee), Tete, ZNApril 25, 2014
Pros: free accommodation and food
Cons: normal hours
Productive,good salaries and good incentives.To be an experienced and innovative personnel. To uphold high personal integrity, goal orientation, innovative and effective leadership skills.

Most of the co workers are friendly. Spending the whole day under the mine
Extremly hot and hard work but for me very enjoyable
Refinery Operator, Hydrate Department (Current Employee), Nhulunbuy, N.T. AustraliaApril 6, 2014
Pros: 4 days on and 4 days off
Cons: hot & physical work
As stated in my resume we do a lot of hard work in hot conditions. We learn each day how to safely improve our jobs, strong teamwork focus.
safe & friendly work force. with good job prospects
Boilermaker / welder / Supervisor nightshift (Former Employee), Port HedlandApril 2, 2014
Pros: good work environment
Cons: flys
morning meetings. work for the day.
Helping out with other trades
Mentoring apprentices
....
Accounting Officer (Former Employee), waMarch 27, 2014
• Day-to-day conversion of purchase requisitions to purchase orders.
• Distribution of purchase orders to EPCM Contractors and external suppliers.
• Other activities may undertake relating to other RTIO business units.
• Direct accountability for the transactions and associated processes relating to activities for direct and indirect project activities.
 – more... Direct contact with the other components of the Order Services team.
• Conduct reviews to assess outstanding approved requisitions.
• Perform conversion activities to specifications required by business processes and/or internal customers.
• Validate order for accuracy and distribute to internal customers or vendors as applicable.
• Actively manage relationships with EPCM Contractors.
• Requisition Generation and Validation.
• Order Conversion and Distribution.
• Order Receipting and Validation.
• Review outstanding approved requisitions created by or on behalf of the Project division and identify errors or non-compliance with accepted business practices.
• Assisting with end of month reporting. – less
Productive fun place to work, lots of challenges
Business Evaluation and Commercial Manager (Current Employee), Johannesburg, South AfricaMarch 26, 2014
Cons: little visibility for those not located in uk or australia.
Great environment. Take great care of image and doing the right thing in a very difficult industry.
Graet pay and benifits. The job itself and managers are great.Some concern to be laid off.
Mine operator/Laborer (Current Employee), Boron, CAMarch 22, 2014
Pros: we are payed very well and taken care of by the company
Cons: fear of being laid off
A typical day at work would be clocking in and having a team meeting with the manger with him or her telling us what we are going to do. Also talking about any safety hazards that might be present. Then we would be taken to are equipment and haul lots of material. The management are very helpful and want us all to remain safe.
Enjoyed the people
Fixed Plant Maintenance Fitter 'FIFO (Former Employee), Nhulunbuy, NTMarch 18, 2014
Pros: good people
worked in white side as a fitter, Then calcination / lime plant / Silo storage as a fitter welder, then Maintenance Pump Crew as a fitter, Machinist.
Uncertain work environment due to constant downsizing / outsourcing
Capability Development Manager (Former Employee), SingaporeMarch 11, 2014
I enjoyed my time with Rio Tinto but the current climate is driven by uncertainty given recent internal reviews, changes in strategy, and outsourcing that has people more concerned about job security. These changes have typically been delivered poorly and highlight a lack of quality leadership.
Major greenfield mining project, both challenging and rewarding
Contract Management Superintendent (Current Employee), Ulaanbaatar, MongoliaFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: one of the most interesting projects i've ever worked on
Cons: a challenge to get regional contractors to embrace western standards
Remote and challenging location in the Gobi Desert
Fascinating indigenous people and culture
Global Company with a big reputation (unjustified)
Team Leader/ Mobile Plant Operator/ Trainer (Current Employee), WAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: lifelong friendships developed
Cons: the culture being nurtured by the majority of management personel
Workmates respect for one and other is predominately evident on a daily basis, with a willingness to learn exhibited by those less experienced matched by gratuitous mentor-ship from the more well traveled.
Unfortunately this free exchange is not matched or even aspired to by the 'leadership" groups that I have encountered.
Great, faced paced employment. Very team oriented.
Plant Operator/Miner/Loader Operator (Former Employee), Boron, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: healthcare, hours
I operated heavy equipment and worked 10-12 hour days. Management was great and I learned alot of on the job training. I am a very highly dedicated employee and have great attendance. I would still work there, but I had to move back to Washington State due to an illness of a family member.
Excellent Company
Heavy Equipment Mine Operator (Former Employee), Weipa, QLDFebruary 16, 2014
Rio Tinto provides alot of Benefits and its a great company and has helped me obtain experience in operating mining equipment..
Train Crew Leader
Train Crew Leader (Former Employee), BeiraFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: positive reception of local employees
Cons: language barrier
Facilitating practical training in train handling techniques with airbrake system.

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto is a leading international mining group, combining Rio Tinto plc, a London listed public company headquartered in the – Read more