Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 June 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Worked in the pot lines
Summer Student Cell Block Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat28 August 2015
Most of the co workers are welcoming. I worked 12 hour shifts in hot temperatures. Worked both night shifts and day shifts.
Productive and fun place to work in with a nice organisational culture
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2015
A tipical day at work in the Commercial Finance group is never tipical. There are always new complex problem appearing and we have to place them in order of priority adn then solve them. The culture is good with a good work / life balance.
Excellent company to work for.
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Lac De Gras, NT17 February 2015
Rio Tinto takes pride in taking care of their employees, they provide an exceptional employee benefit program which in turn gives the employee a sense of security at all times. Safety is the number one priority in all aspects of the company.
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2012
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.
Pros
pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons
long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
Competitive, well compensated, opportunity for advancement
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Quebec, Canada26 February 2014
A great first employer, they are capable of providing plenty of training and opportunities, being such a vast and international company.
Pros
Competitive workplace, opportunity to travel with work
Cons
Very limited budgets for projects since Al price drop
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories, Canada13 June 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Weipa QLD Australia4 January 2014
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Favouritism BS
Very structured company and HSE is in high regards
Inside Sale Representative (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  montreal Quebec8 October 2014
Very friendly work place
Very professional
High regards on HSE
Great Co-workers
Very political
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not many advancements oppurtunities and many contractuals
Challenging opporutunity
Spécialiste amélioration des affaires aux achats (Former Employee) –  Jonquière, Québec23 July 2014
Cost reduction project with the Singapour procurement team and several plants based on alloying elements.
Pros
Business project with many human interactions
Cons
not on a continuous basis
A challenging position
Senior Shovel and drill maintenance supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oyu Tolgoi mine Mongolia15 October 2014
Language barrier was very hard to work with. Being a newer industry to the country, the population was unaccustomed to the safety culture that was expected of everyone.
Great environment and friendly People
Senior Project / Solution Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal28 November 2012
The working environment is peaceful and a place where you can learn a lot if you that is your thing
Pros
lots of benefits for fulltime staff
Productive, enjoyable place to work.
Central Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT13 July 2012
By far this is the best company that I have ever worked for. Pay and benefits are top notch. Opprtunities for advancement are good.
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site.
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 October 2014
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site. Friendly atmosphere. Great team concept,
Always room for advancement
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC28 June 2014
Big project spells fast paced environment and tons of shuffling. Lots of room for advancement and most people are happy with their jobs.
excellent work environment
Miner (Former Employee) –  diavik,NWT19 June 2013
the work environment has an positive environment,work safe and learn too advance at an steady rate.
Pros
nice camp
Cons
no outdoor activities.
Productive and fun place to work
Electrical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Labrador City, NL18 June 2014
Rio Tinto is one of the top mining companies in the world with high standard safety culture.
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 October 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
High profile company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 July 2014
Very large company with high profile work assignments and talented staff
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BC9 July 2013
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity.
Pros
Recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons
Long working hours with every alternate weekend off.

4.2