Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Productive workplace and good ppl to work with
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJanuary 25, 2016
I liked working on the Rio-Tinto Albans site because it was very professional and safety always came first. were a good bunch of guys to work with
Fantastic Work Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 16, 2015
Top notch work environment. Worked with the best lawyers and assistants. Couldn't have asked for a better job at the time.
Worked in the pot lines
Summer Student Cell Block Operator (Former Employee) –  KitimatAugust 28, 2015
Most of the co workers are welcoming. I worked 12 hour shifts in hot temperatures. Worked both night shifts and day shifts.
Great place to work. Good management. Team driven
Co-Ordinator warehouse and inbound freight (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QCAugust 5, 2015
Most enjoyable work atmosphere. People easy to work with. Good team efforts. Ability to back up each others jobs. Flexibility to work from home.
Pros
team activities days once a month
Cons
Long hours, On call 24/7
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee) –  Labrador CityJune 20, 2015
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
Pros
Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons
Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 18, 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Poor management, toxic relationship with their workers.
Operator (Current Employee) –  labrador CityJune 3, 2015
poor management, planning, and organization. They do everything possible in Iron Ore Company to make people upset and scared for their job, accident waiting to happen.
Pros
Decent wage
Cons
have to work 84 hours in 7 days if you don't get forced for an extra 4 or 5 besides your 7 days.
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee) –  Diavik Diamond MineJanuary 29, 2015
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Pros
the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons
long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Productive and fun place to work in with a nice organisational culture
Credit Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 20, 2015
A tipical day at work in the Commercial Finance group is never tipical. There are always new complex problem appearing and we have to place them in order of priority adn then solve them. The culture is good with a good work / life balance.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCNovember 9, 2014
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
Pros
benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons
long hours.
A challenging position
Senior Shovel and drill maintenance supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oyu Tolgoi mine MongoliaOctober 15, 2014
Language barrier was very hard to work with. Being a newer industry to the country, the population was unaccustomed to the safety culture that was expected of everyone.
Very structured company and HSE is in high regards
Inside Sale Representative (Contractual) (Current Employee) –  montreal QuebecOctober 8, 2014
Very friendly work place
Very professional
High regards on HSE
Great Co-workers
Very political
Pros
flexible
Cons
not many advancements oppurtunities and many contractuals
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site.
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 3, 2014
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site. Friendly atmosphere. Great team concept,
Challenging opporutunity
Spécialiste amélioration des affaires aux achats (Former Employee) –  Jonquière, QuébecJuly 23, 2014
Cost reduction project with the Singapour procurement team and several plants based on alloying elements.
Pros
business project with many human interactions
Cons
not on a continuous basis
High profile company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 8, 2014
Very large company with high profile work assignments and talented staff
Always room for advancement
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJune 28, 2014
Big project spells fast paced environment and tons of shuffling. Lots of room for advancement and most people are happy with their jobs.
Competitive, well compensated, opportunity for advancement
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Quebec, CanadaFebruary 26, 2014
A great first employer, they are capable of providing plenty of training and opportunities, being such a vast and international company.
Pros
competitive workplace, opportunity to travel with work
Cons
very limited budgets for projects since al price drop
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Weipa QLD AustraliaJanuary 4, 2014
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
favouritism bs
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee) –  Kitimat, BCJuly 9, 2013
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity.
Pros
recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons
long working hours with every alternate weekend off.