Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

Excellent Job
Mobile Maintenance Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT22 November 2016
Is an excellent company but the economy is putting stress on it. I have enjoyed my time there but unfortunately need to move on due to market conditions.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
The market dictates the stability
Challenging but enjoyable.
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Nhulunbuy, NT21 November 2015
Challenging work everyday. Good working station and co-workers. The management always give all the needs of the workers such as food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation. The hardest part of the job is when I assigned in boiler area but a challenging job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when we have done the job early as the required time frame.
Pros
food and lodging, PPE, medical benefits and transportation.
Large global corporation
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC10 November 2016
Rio Tinto is a large global company. Very interesting interaction globally. Executives are easily approachable and the respect is given to all staff no matter what level.

Work/life/balance is very important however very difficult to apply.
Educative with leaders
Senior Internal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Other23 November 2016
Rio Tinto was a great experience. It helped developed my knowledge and skills right after college. I spent 5 years working for that company. The management had a lot of tools in place to help with our development.
fast pace work environment.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Senior management promotes the idea of us vs them (management vs workers) this makes the work environment on a daily basis extremely depressing and counter productive.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
bad management
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC18 June 2015
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
work environment was hot and dusty.
Production driven
Equipment Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC22 July 2016
Shift work with rotating 12hr shifts Heavy machinery with 1950s technology aluminum production. Highly hazardous materials but great emphasis on safety
Excellent work place
SENIOR INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 May 2016
I have nothing negative to share.

amazing environment full of friendly people and the management is very transparent and fair.
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee) –  Labrador City20 June 2015
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
Pros
Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons
Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC9 November 2014
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
Pros
benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons
long hours.
Diverse multicultural giant mining company
Trade Finance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 May 2014
Worked for Aluminium Business Unit (Rio Tinto Alcan) of mining giant Rio Tinto. Worked in a fast paced Global Credit Department providing solutions to mitigate credit risk using trade finance products such as letters of credit, guarantees, documentary collections or credit insurance. Provided credit guidance to sales departments, through close colaboration with sales, treasury and credit departments.
Pros
good compensation and diverse work environment
Cons
no cons - a wonderful company
Productive, enjoyable place to work.
Central Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT13 July 2012
By far this is the best company that I have ever worked for. Pay and benefits are top notch. Opprtunities for advancement are good.
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee) –  Weipa QLD Australia4 January 2014
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Favouritism BS
Graduate Mining Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mount Thorley Warkworth7 January 2016
Tell us about:
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee) –  Diavik Diamond Mine29 January 2015
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Pros
the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons
Long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Great environment and friendly People
Senior Project / Solution Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal28 November 2012
The working environment is peaceful and a place where you can learn a lot if you that is your thing
Pros
lots of benefits for fulltime staff
Productive workplace and good ppl to work with
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Kitimat, BC25 January 2016
I liked working on the Rio-Tinto Albans site because it was very professional and safety always came first. were a good bunch of guys to work with
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 December 2012
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.
Pros
pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons
long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
Great place to work. Good management. Team driven
Co-Ordinator warehouse and inbound freight (Former Employee) –  Montreal,QC5 August 2015
Most enjoyable work atmosphere. People easy to work with. Good team efforts. Ability to back up each others jobs. Flexibility to work from home.
Pros
team activities days once a month
Cons
Long hours, On call 24/7
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee) –  Northwest Territories, Canada13 June 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.

4.2