Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good pay, benefits and union co-workers, NO PROPER RESPECTFUL MANAGEMENT
Crusher Operator (Former Employee), Labrador CityJune 20, 2015
Pros: Pay rate, benefits, union co-workers
Cons: Disgusting, horrible, totally disrespectful management. ZERO RESPECT FOR UNION.
New upper management are disgusting horrible people who care for nothing but themselves, they care nothing for the actual honest hard workers.
It was a long hard 35 years.
Sr Cell Operator (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCJune 18, 2015
Pros: Great pay and benefits
Cons: work environment was hot and dusty.
when I first started it was June of 1979, we worked 8 hour shifts ,6 days on 2 off and we worked dayshift 7 am -11 pm,afternoons was 3 pm-11 pm and nights was 11 pm-7 am for almost 20 years,Summers were very hot and we had to wear heavy wool protective clothing. Had not much of a family life because it was hard to plan anything being on call for overtime. we never had weekends of for 6 weeks. I did not like that. Coworkers were generally ok,sometimes difficult but you learn to work together when you can.Then we went on 12 hour shifts , I liked that better, hours were 7 am-7 pm for days and 7 pm-7 am for nights. we had every other weekend off. The hardest part of work was working environment it gets extremely hot and humid. The most enjoyable thing was making the most of being there,some of the co workers would organize things like on site get togethers for lunches like pot lucks and everyone would bring something in and we would all share a meal together.
Poor management, toxic relationship with their workers.
Operator (Current Employee), labrador CityJune 3, 2015
Pros: Decent wage
Cons: have to work 84 hours in 7 days if you don't get forced for an extra 4 or 5 besides your 7 days.
poor management, planning, and organization. They do everything possible in Iron Ore Company to make people upset and scared for their job, accident waiting to happen.
Management very poor and payroll dishonest.
Underground Planner, Hydrogeology (Current Employee), Diavik Diamond MineJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: the 2 weeks in two weeks off was attractive
Cons: long hours and lack of leadership by technical services superintendents and managers.
Very poor management, lack of leadership and managers fail to take responsibility for their actions including the enforcement of standard operating procedures. Management, also failed to provide adequate staff to do the work required and bullied when additional work was not done. This is exemplified by the very high turnover rate.

Payroll was dishonest in not providing documentation that was in accord with pay stubs and committed a fundamental breach of the separation agreement.
Productive and fun place to work in with a nice organisational culture
Credit Administrator (Current Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 20, 2015
A tipical day at work in the Commercial Finance group is never tipical. There are always new complex problem appearing and we have to place them in order of priority adn then solve them. The culture is good with a good work / life balance.
Lots of different types of jobs
Equipment Operator/ Crane Operator (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: benefits, car pooling, meeting and teaching new workers about the job
Cons: long hours.
typical day in the crane for me was 8-9 hours in the crane doing various jobs but mostly delivering molten aluminium off to casting to be poured. I learned how to be patient cause things dont always go your way. With the help of co-workers made things easier, cant do the job right if you upset your co-workers.
A challenging position
Senior Shovel and drill maintenance supervisor (Former Employee), Oyu Tolgoi mine MongoliaOctober 15, 2014
Language barrier was very hard to work with. Being a newer industry to the country, the population was unaccustomed to the safety culture that was expected of everyone.
Very structured company and HSE is in high regards
Inside Sale Representative (Contractual) (Current Employee), montreal QuebecOctober 8, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: not many advancements oppurtunities and many contractuals
Very friendly work place
Very professional
High regards on HSE
Great Co-workers
Very political
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site.
Computer Support Analyst (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 3, 2014
A wonderful work environment with Nurse and Gym on site. Friendly atmosphere. Great team concept,
Challenging opporutunity
Spécialiste amélioration des affaires aux achats (Former Employee), Jonquière, QuébecJuly 23, 2014
Pros: business project with many human interactions
Cons: not on a continuous basis
Cost reduction project with the Singapour procurement team and several plants based on alloying elements.
Always room for advancement
Engineer Co-op (Former Employee), Kitimat, BCJune 28, 2014
Big project spells fast paced environment and tons of shuffling. Lots of room for advancement and most people are happy with their jobs.
Productive and fun place to work
Electrical Engineer Co-op (Former Employee), Labrador City, NLJune 18, 2014
Rio Tinto is one of the top mining companies in the world with high standard safety culture.
Competitive, well compensated, opportunity for advancement
Process Engineer (Current Employee), Quebec, CanadaFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: competitive workplace, opportunity to travel with work
Cons: very limited budgets for projects since al price drop
A great first employer, they are capable of providing plenty of training and opportunities, being such a vast and international company.
Mine Operator. Great people
Mine Operator (Current Employee), Weipa QLD AustraliaJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: favouritism bs
Weipa wonderful lifestyle, but housing is to expensive and the general cost of living is rediculous. Losts of favouritism within the teams which is really bad. can't complain about the rest of my job though I love what I do.
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2013
Ambiguous management, long hours, and lack appreciation.
Productive and supporting company allowing me the opportunity to complete my Master's of Business Administration degree in Executive Management
Temporary Supervisor/Industrial Operator (Current Employee), Kitimat, BCJuly 9, 2013
Pros: recognition of achievements and employee contribution to safety and productivity.
Cons: long working hours with every alternate weekend off.
Typical industrial working environment with production and safety being number one priority. Work starts at 7:00 am and ends at 7:00 pm with four half hour breaks. During my tenure with Rio Tinto Alcan,
I have learned how to work and manage within a large union environment. In addition, being a heavy industry I have learned to watch out for the safety of my co-workers and my own safety.

The management of Rio Tinto Alcan lists safety as top priority followed by productivity on their agenda. The management is also very supportive and are accommodating to its employees.

Teamwork is very important to get various tasks done and therefore, most co-workers are cooperative and work cohesively.

The most difficult part of the job is working near furnaces on extremely hot days with temperatures exceeding 700 degrees Celsius. In contrast, the best part of the job is being trusted and treated with respect. It makes the employees feel responsible and results in better productivity.
excellent work environment
Miner (Former Employee), diavik,NWTJune 19, 2013
Pros: nice camp
Cons: no outdoor activities.
the work environment has an positive environment,work safe and learn too advance at an steady rate.
Driver
Driver (Former Employee), Labrador City, NLJune 16, 2013
Worked with company transporting workers around job site. To and from airport. Worked with great management team and safety was a priority at all times.Hardest part of job was winter conditions on gravel roads with full load of workers and slippery conditions with many hills and turns. Keep yourself alert as to conditions of the roads and block out noises from workers being transported.Enjoyable past was getting workers back to camp safely and taking them to airport for their turn-a-rounds for days off.
Poorly Managed
Site employee (Former Employee), Northwest Territories, CanadaJune 13, 2013
Extremely 'top heavy' - rife with under-qualified, arrogant young management.
Hence poor business decisions and tremendous waste.
Good safety culture but conservative leadership with no sense (or care) for front-line workers.
No opportunity for advancement unless one relocates to the North.
Wornderful environment to work in, learned alot of new skills.
Logistics Coordinator / Administration Support (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 5, 2012
Pros: pizza lunches, had a great relationship with everyone.
Cons: long hours for month end, not being as involved with the hr aspect of the business
- Data Entry, reconsiling, talking on the phone, ordering railcars, switched being on call every second weekend.
- I gained more experience with Microsoft Office, worked a bit in AccPac, Learned alot about being in a corporation vs. when I worked with a small business.
- I got along very well with all the managment as well as my co-workers
- Hardest part of my job was picking up where the person I was filling in for left off, not having them here to explain certain reports and emails. It was a process but eventually it all works out.
- I enjoyed how involved the corporate office is envolved with our operations, as well as being able to contribute to making improvements in certain aspects of the office.

About Rio Tinto

Rio Tinto is a leading global mining and metals company. Our focus is on finding, mining and processing the Earth's mineral resources – Read more